PDA

View Full Version : Why Are So Many NBA Fans Bandwagoners ?

R_O_W_E
03-18-2010, 12:29 PM
Outside of the regional areas where Lakers, Celtics, Jazz, Knicks, Bulls, Pistons, Magic, Pacers, etc fans have been fans of their team forever and their team pride runs deep which often leads to them having arguments espescially when it comes to discussing their hated rival.

But I've noticed how 1 player, or 1 team can make a fan switch sides basically and become a fan of a new team. There is no reason for the Cavaliers to have one of the largest fanbases nationwide other than for the simple fact people saw LeBron and decided to become Cavs fans due to him. I remember they were struggling to sell out Gund Arena back in the days of Wesley Person and Lamond Murray, and im pretty sure that when they went on the road 1/5 of the fans weren't Cavs fans like it is now.

For me, my favorite NBA team has always been the Warriors. It started out when I was young wanting to play like Vonteego Cummings.:laugh2: Maybe its because I am a football fan and don't understand the idea of being a fan of more than 1 team in a sport, it just cheats the idea of being a fan in my opinion because you can easily drop a team if they're not competitive and mainly root for your other favorite team.

Im not trying to name names but there are posters on here going around as Celtics/Laker fans when the rules of fandom deems that impossible.

What happened to people taking pride in their hometown team? When did basketball switch from becoming fans of a team to solely becoming fans of a player?

I just watched the Reggie Miller 30 for 30 documentary and saw how passionate Pacers fans were as well as Knicks fans were about their team. It was almost like a college atmosphere at some of those games, now the NBA games that I've been to in my life have seemed boring with nothing more than a DJ playing some high energy tracks or pumping in artificial sounds for "defense".

PC
03-18-2010, 12:36 PM
Maybe its because I am a football fan and don't understand the idea of being a fan of more than 1 team in a sport, it just cheats the idea of being a fan in my opinion because you can easily drop a team if they're not competitive and mainly root for your other favorite team.

This

There's only one nba team I could root for and that's the Knicks. Same goes for every other sport, I'm only a fan of one team

G-Funk
03-18-2010, 12:40 PM
my team is the Lakers what I really hate is fake fans that don't know **** about basketball or the team they are rooting 4. They start buying Jerseys talking smack because the team is actually playing good. Like half my homies

29$JerZ
03-18-2010, 12:42 PM
It's the cool thing to do.
My favorite thing to see is someone who trashes their home states team for being bad and when they are good go right back into root mode.

There is only self value for being a true/die-hard fan. Winning brings anyone aboard.

CK1
03-18-2010, 12:44 PM
I'm a Wizards fan. Enough said.

Slimsim
03-18-2010, 12:46 PM
This

There's only one nba team I could root for and that's the Knicks. Same goes for every other sport, I'm only a fan of one team

X2

I only root for the Knicks.

R_O_W_E
03-18-2010, 12:49 PM
my team is the Lakers what I really hate is fake fans that don't know **** about basketball or the team they are rooting 4. They start buying Jerseys talking smack because the team is actually playing good. Like my half my homies

Yeah I hate that. I have no problem with guys who end up becoming bandwagoners for some of the horrible teams in the NBA like the Clippers and Wizards. Who knows how you can become a fan of those teams anyway? :laugh2:

Some people I know who hopped on the Warriors bandwagon a few years ago dont even know that Baron Davis plays for the Clippers.:facepalm: I try not to be an ******* to them, but sometimes I hit them with a random trivia question like

#4 had a huge game last night for the Warriors, I forgot his name, do you remember? Knowing in the back of my mind its Anthony Randolph, they come up blank but still claim they are a fan of the Warriors.

DodgerBulls
03-18-2010, 12:50 PM
Just like some of the people I met at school and work. Bought the jerseys, watch them on t.v., root root root for their team, but when asked something about the team, even for god sake their roster, they cannot even say something that isn't obvious or any deep information. The best answer I got from one of these people when I asked them.. "Are you going to watch any of their games live?" the response was, "NO! Why should I waste money? I get them at channel 9(KCAL for L.A.).

CK1
03-18-2010, 12:52 PM
"Yeah I hate that. I have no problem with guys who end up becoming bandwagoners for some of the horrible teams in the NBA like the Clippers and Wizards. Who knows how you can become a fan of those teams anyway?"

Are you serious man? So you actually would give me a pass if I hopped all over the Cavs's crotch?

GoatMilk
03-18-2010, 12:54 PM
lol i remember there were so many Clipper fans in 05.
they all must have died or something because i havent seen them since

TheDetroitBlue
03-18-2010, 12:56 PM
Detroit for me and Always will be

BOSTON617
personally im a celtics fan i bleed green but ill rock a bosh jeresey or a jordan you know im just a fan of the player not the team

R_O_W_E
It's the cool thing to do.
My favorite thing to see is someone who trashes their home states team for being bad and when they are good go right back into root mode.

There is only self value for being a true/die-hard fan. Winning brings anyone aboard.

Exactly.

There even some guys running around on this site talking smack as fans of basically ever winning team in each sport. Really how does someone become a Red Sox, Penn State football, Uconn basketball, Thunder, Ravens, Blackhawks, etc fan? Thats basically 4 different regions represented, and 6 different good teams. You can only live in 1 place.:rolleyes:

Lets keep it real, if LeBron leaves Cleveland and heads to somewhere like Minnesota. The presence of Cavs fans would basically shrink at games, and even on this site while Minnesota T'Wolves fans would start sprouting up in Ohio, Virginia, Arizona, etc. While the true T'Wolves fans sitting through these down years end up getting confused with being bandwagoners due to the newfound fan support.

If the NBA had true fans the games would be better. Thats why I like college basketball, because the fans in the student section or wearing the team colors aren't bandwagoners. They literally hate the opposition and their fanbase. I'd love to see teams have inspired fanbases even if they are losing, fans taunting opposing teams and players, tailgating before games, face/body painting, etc. Not guys sitting in Verizon Center with a Wizards jersey on, cheering when LeBron has a huge dunk. C'mon man.

R_O_W_E
03-18-2010, 12:59 PM
"Yeah I hate that. I have no problem with guys who end up becoming bandwagoners for some of the horrible teams in the NBA like the Clippers and Wizards. Who knows how you can become a fan of those teams anyway?"

Are you serious man? So you actually would give me a pass if I hopped all over the Cavs's crotch?

If you somehow became a Cavs fan for whatever reason when they were dreadful back in the black/light blue days and stuck with them through that, before LeBron was even thought about. Yeah I'd give you a pass.

But most bandwagoners cant do that, they see the next best thing and jump on that team.

asandhu23
03-18-2010, 01:00 PM
Don't you just hate it when bandwagoners call you ( true fan ) a bandwagoner?

:mad:

asandhu23
03-18-2010, 01:02 PM
If you somehow became a Cavs fan for whatever reason when they were dreadful back in the black/light blue days and stuck with them through that, before LeBron was even thought about. Yeah I'd give you a pass.

But most bandwagoners cant do that, they see the next best thing and jump on that team.

We'll find out the real Cavs fans after LeBron leaves this offseason. :cool:

R_O_W_E
03-18-2010, 01:03 PM
personally im a celtics fan i bleed green but ill rock a bosh jeresey or a jordan you know im just a fan of the player not the team

Yeah its no problem being a fan of the player, but when said player comes to town you cant support your team and your favorite player at the same time. It just doesn't add up. Seriously what type of Wizards fan wants to see LeBron drop 45 on the Wizards, but root for the Wizards to somehow win? That **** just doesn't make sense.

When Jordan was the most popular player in the NBA, im sure there were people who loved his game and were huge Jordan fans from the jerseys to the shoes, but when he stepped foot in the arena they booed his *** because they want their team to win.

stipe1280
a lot of fans just root for a team because their favorite player is on it

This is true. I am a Mavs fan first and foremost and have been since I was a kid. However, if you were to ask me my favorite player, Steve Nash > Dirk Nowitzki. So, while I still cheer on the Mavs, I usually root on the Suns as well because of Nash. Even more odd, still, is the fact that David Robinson is one of my favorite players of all time and he played for my teams bitter rival. Still, as long as they weren't playing my Mavs, I liked to see him succeed.

sep11ie
Because the NBA only really markets 3 teams and 4 players, so a non diehard fan will just go with the flow, buy those jerseys, then switch when the next flash in the pan comes through.

Stern's got'em hook, line, and sinker.

Hawkeye15
03-18-2010, 01:06 PM
well, I love the Wolves, grew up there for the most part. But I have lived in Houston a long time, so I like the Rockets as well, at least until they play the Wolves. I enjoy watching LeBron, Durant, and numerous other players. I am not a die hard fan of any team except the Wolves, but I support my local team, and like to watch other players. I would like to see Cleveland win it only so the LeBron haters shut up, but other than that, I am indifferent to most teams. Just enjoy watching basketball. There are only 2 teams I really dislike, the Lakers and Spurs. Other than that, who cares.

R_O_W_E
03-18-2010, 01:08 PM
Don't you just hate it when bandwagoners call you ( true fan ) a bandwagoner?

:mad:

Yeah man. I feel the same way, I've been a Warriors fan back when people thought it was funny that I was a fan of such a bad team. Im like Im ****ing from Oakland, thats the way it is out there.

I'd brag about how nice J-Rich was and say he was a Top 5 SG in the NBA, and of course people would laugh and some "basketball" fans didnt even know he played for Golden State.

Fastforward basically like 2-3 years and everybody is a Warriors fan and trying to group me in with them as a bandwagoner. Im like who was the Warriors' coach before Don Nelson and what school did he coach at? And just as I expected nobody knows.

R_O_W_E
03-18-2010, 01:10 PM

They'll all say it wont happen because he loves Cleveland, then when it does happen, they'll disappear and pop up with a Knicks sig talking all sorts of nonsense about how they always liked the Knicks.:eyebrow:

JNA17
03-18-2010, 01:11 PM
lakers, only team i cheer for, only team i ever cheered for, only team i will ever cheer for.

29$JerZ
They'll all say it wont happen because he loves Cleveland, then when it does happen, they'll disappear and pop up with a Knicks sig talking all sorts of nonsense about how they always liked the Knicks.:eyebrow:

3 more months :)

brandonwarne52
....because the average NBA fan's IQ is 47?

JNA17
03-18-2010, 01:12 PM

It will end up PSD only having 1 or 2 cavs fans on PSD like the Hornets fans here.

Super.
03-18-2010, 01:13 PM
Just because you live in one area, doesn't mean you can root for another team across the country. I live in Mass, and a diehard hometown supporter.

When it comes to college? im totally different, I love Tennessee. yes, the Vols. I like Florida too! (just not when they play Tenn) Boston College. I hate Duke, for no reason. Some sports...its just strange like that

Some people are just band-wagoners, plain and simple. My neighbor is a prime example. He doesn't like Tom Brady, because he was a Bledsoe guy. So he decided to follow him around until Drew retired. Now he just picks the best team in the league and roots for them. Its pathetic. He told me the Colts were the best ever, Peyton Manning was the best QB ever. After the Superbowl? he told me that the Saints were better, and to top it off, the Colts needed to get rid of Peyton, because i quote in his words "he sucks"

Some people are just stupid

R_O_W_E
03-18-2010, 01:15 PM
This is true. I am a Mavs fan first and foremost and have been since I was a kid. However, if you were to ask me my favorite player, Steve Nash > Dirk Nowitzki. So, while I still cheer on the Mavs, I usually root on the Suns as well because of Nash. Even more odd, still, is the fact that David Robinson is one of my favorite players of all time and he played for my teams bitter rival. Still, as long as they weren't playing my Mavs, I liked to see him succeed.

I see what you're saying, some people like players now only because they're on their Fantasy basketball team. But Fantasy basketball is for nerds with too much time on their hands.

See my favorite players aren't the "popular" picks amongst most fans, my favorite players are Bo "Lester", Darius Washington Jr, Lance Stephenson, and JT Terrell. These guys I follow closely and try to emulate their game when I play basketball.

macc
03-18-2010, 01:19 PM
Alot of fans out there aren't necessarily fans of the teams, theres alot of fans who follow their favorite player. As a Magic fan we've gotten a few Vince Carter bandwagoners and when Vince leaves so will they. Which is fine I guess but rarely do you get any consistancy on the team.

I've stuck with my Magic since 1991. Seen highs and lows. Going through the lows makes the highs that much more sweet because you know what it's like to suck.

BOSTON617
03-18-2010, 01:22 PM
Yeah its no problem being a fan of the player, but when said player comes to town you cant support your team and your favorite player at the same time. It just doesn't add up. Seriously what type of Wizards fan wants to see LeBron drop 45 on the Wizards, but root for the Wizards to somehow win? That **** just doesn't make sense.

When Jordan was the most popular player in the NBA, im sure there were people who loved his game and were huge Jordan fans from the jerseys to the shoes, but when he stepped foot in the arena they booed his *** because they want their team to win.

couldnt of said it any better :clap:

-Kobe24-TJ19-
03-18-2010, 01:26 PM
well, I love the Wolves, grew up there for the most part. But I have lived in Houston a long time, so I like the Rockets as well, at least until they play the Wolves. I enjoy watching LeBron, Durant, and numerous other players. I am not a die hard fan of any team except the Wolves, but I support my local team, and like to watch other players. I would like to see Cleveland win it only so the LeBron haters shut up, but other than that, I am indifferent to most teams. Just enjoy watching basketball. There are only 2 teams I really dislike, the Lakers and Spurs. Other than that, who cares.

Somehow I knew that:D

Hawkeye15
03-18-2010, 01:27 PM
Somehow I knew that:D

haha, well, I am not much of a faker when it comes to that crap. I respect them, but I never root for them. Ever.

JIMMY CONWAY
03-18-2010, 01:43 PM
Look I've been harping on this for some time now. You guys know who you are, and what you are are clowns. Straight clowns. I went to a Lakers Boston game a few years back and saw more Lakers fans in the stands. You will never ever get away with that **** in L.A. Cleveland you guys are clowns you couldn't give tickets away now I see games on T.V. A see old *** white guys with Lebron jerseys over their dress shirts. Same goes for Patriots, Magic, insert "favorite team" hear...

You guys are roaches...

Giants88
03-18-2010, 01:43 PM
I petty band wagoners, they'll never feel that true passion of there team winning.

brandonwarne52
03-18-2010, 01:44 PM
Petty or pity? There or their? Win or have?

Where are my pants?

DaBUU
03-18-2010, 02:04 PM
Outside of the regional areas where Lakers, Celtics, Jazz, Knicks, Bulls, Pistons, Magic, Pacers, etc fans have been fans of their team forever and their team pride runs deep which often leads to them having arguments espescially when it comes to discussing their hated rival.

But I've noticed how 1 player, or 1 team can make a fan switch sides basically and become a fan of a new team. There is no reason for the Cavaliers to have one of the largest fanbases nationwide other than for the simple fact people saw LeBron and decided to become Cavs fans due to him. I remember they were struggling to sell out Gund Arena back in the days of Wesley Person and Lamond Murray, and im pretty sure that when they went on the road 1/5 of the fans weren't Cavs fans like it is now.

For me, my favorite NBA team has always been the Warriors. It started out when I was young wanting to play like Vonteego Cummings.:laugh2: Maybe its because I am a football fan and don't understand the idea of being a fan of more than 1 team in a sport, it just cheats the idea of being a fan in my opinion because you can easily drop a team if they're not competitive and mainly root for your other favorite team.

Im not trying to name names but there are posters on here going around as Celtics/Laker fans when the rules of fandom deems that impossible.

What happened to people taking pride in their hometown team? When did basketball switch from becoming fans of a team to solely becoming fans of a player?

I just watched the Reggie Miller 30 for 30 documentary and saw how passionate Pacers fans were as well as Knicks fans were about their team. It was almost like a college atmosphere at some of those games, now the NBA games that I've been to in my life have seemed boring with nothing more than a DJ playing some high energy tracks or pumping in artificial sounds for "defense".

Great post! :clap::clap:

If your able to switch allegiance to another team in another city based on one or two players you like, then your really not a true fan of any team, including your own. You may be interested in the sport in general, but you arent a true fan to any one team. same thing happened here after MJ left, no Bulls fans just Mike fans.

Wilson
03-18-2010, 02:11 PM
Sorry guys, I know a lot of you are passionate about this but with the jabs thrown at Cavs fans and the nature of the subject being potentially insulting so many PSDers, I'm going to shut it down.