PDA

View Full Version : Scratch Rudy Gay Off Your 2010 Wishlist... Heisley Will Match Any Offer!

Tony_Starks
03-17-2010, 01:18 PM
Griz owner Michael Heisley told a group of season ticket holders that the team intends to match any offer Gay might receive as a restricted free agent this summer. Heisley spoke before the game at the team’s annual “State of the Franchise” Chalk Talk where season ticket holders could ask questions. ...

http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/2010/mar/16/memphis-grizzlies-outgun-undermanned-chicago-bulls/

GodsSon
03-17-2010, 01:19 PM
http://www.prosportsdaily.com/forums/showthread.php?t=465491

Tony_Starks
03-17-2010, 01:24 PM
If its been posted before my bad, I didn't remember seeing it..... It's still a pretty big deal though.

GodsSon
03-17-2010, 01:28 PM
It hasn't exactly, but Grizz fans don't seem to be too optimistic about him returning if he's looking at 12-13 mil per

king4day
03-17-2010, 01:32 PM
If its been posted before my bad, I didn't remember seeing it..... It's still a pretty big deal though.

It was in the Griz forum so it's news to most everyone else.

...I don't think the owner will match if it's over 14-15 mil. Teams like NY and NJ might overpay for him.
Or, Gay might play out another year and then become and UFA.

I think the owner will say that to appease fans too. Regardless of if it's true.

Tony_Starks
03-17-2010, 01:36 PM
It hasn't exactly, but Grizz fans don't seem to be too optimistic about him returning if he's looking at 12-13 mil per

I don't know why they shouldn't be? They have next to the last lowest payroll in the NBA and will have plenty of money to offer. To me its a no brainer, especially with their success this year. That team can only get better.

NYtilIdie
03-17-2010, 01:51 PM
Well im not gonna lie I wanted him if Wade/Lebron didnt work out, but he's damn near asking for a MAX contract by turning down a 13 mil which unless he turns into a 26 ppg type player he's not worth more then that.

Raph12
03-17-2010, 02:02 PM
I think that's bs, it will depend on the price tag, if it's 12+mil, I don't see them matching.

DodgerBulls
03-18-2010, 11:27 PM
Offer him enough money that if the Griz matches it, it will put them on tilt, that's if your team has enough money and really willing to take him.

TopsyTurvy
03-18-2010, 11:42 PM
I would have thought a question like this would be best addressed by someone other than the owner. At best, this announcement is dangerous. Teams were already rearing up to shoot max offers at Rudy (the CBA has been torn up because teams are spending far too much on FA's as it is) and this is license for even more teams to show interest. Also, wouldn't this announcement be better served coming from someone like Chris Wallace, isn't this a gaffe of sorts?

what54!?
03-19-2010, 12:01 AM
I think he's gonna get overpaid by some team so I dont see them matching. Dont waste good cap for a one dimesional player

Ethix11
03-19-2010, 12:26 AM
Even if the Griz match any offer, after the superstars are off the market, there will still be teams left with available cap and without a free agent. The Clippers are a team that might take him.

Chronz
03-19-2010, 02:19 AM
I was hoping hed become a Clipper, **** this 2010 plan isnt going to work, we shouldve just kept Z-Bo

Hawkeye15
03-19-2010, 07:49 AM
Saying it and doing it are two entirely different things in Heisley's world, sorry. His cheapness could easily kick in right around July 14

Rapthug
03-19-2010, 07:54 AM
Didn't Heisley also say he was not going to move the G's out of Vancouver when he took over the team?

I wouldn't put too much stock in his comments.

save the knicks
03-19-2010, 08:00 AM
Believe it when i see it
that statement seems to contradict this one

People say are you going to pay Rudy Gay? My answer to them is simply are you going to come to the games? If I can’t get people to come to the games I can’t pay anybody.

http://dimemag.com/2010/03/grizzlies-owner-on-rudy-gay-i-feel-were-going-to-sign-him/

magichatnumber9
03-19-2010, 08:01 AM
Wow this is great news for Rudy and his agent. Rudy is gonna get paid. Just better hope he doesn't pull a Cedric Maxwell.

flores
03-19-2010, 06:55 PM
he's gonna be overpaid at 12+mil

Ovratd1up
03-19-2010, 07:30 PM
Yes, that is what he told to the season ticket holders. He needed to. Who knows if he will. He certainly won't match ANY offer...

Tony_Starks
03-20-2010, 02:43 PM
Financially I don't think he can afford not to pay Rudy whatever he wants. Their home attendance already isn't that great and losing Rudy would just piss off the few loyal fans that they have left.

Also the better they get, the better their attendance will get. Rudy is vital for them financially, even if they have to overpay.

mzgrizz
03-20-2010, 10:33 PM
I would have thought a question like this would be best addressed by someone other than the owner. At best, this announcement is dangerous. Teams were already rearing up to shoot max offers at Rudy (the CBA has been torn up because teams are spending far too much on FA's as it is) and this is license for even more teams to show interest. Also, wouldn't this announcement be better served coming from someone like Chris Wallace, isn't this a gaffe of sorts?

Not in Memphis, as Mike Heisley calls the shots here.

topdog
03-20-2010, 11:11 PM
Griz owner Michael Heisley told a group of season ticket holders that the team intends to match any offer Gay might receive as a restricted free agent this summer. Heisley spoke before the game at the team’s annual “State of the Franchise” Chalk Talk where season ticket holders could ask questions. ...

http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/2010/mar/16/memphis-grizzlies-outgun-undermanned-chicago-bulls/

Audience is important. What are you gonna tell season ticket holders? Remember also that in a year or two they'll need to re-sign Mayo too. And that they've been playing it cheap the last few years... or so.

mzgrizz
03-20-2010, 11:34 PM
Precisely, so Rudy is the main guy to hold right now. I can't say I would be shocked if it didn't get done, but at this point as a season ticket holder..I fully believe Rudy will stay as a Grizz.