PDA

View Full Version : NBA Meets March Madness *Round 1* - #5 Chris Paul vs. #12 Steve Nash

KnicksorBust
03-15-2010, 08:14 PM
In an effort to combine two of the greatest creations in the world (the NBA and the NCAA Tournament), a new tournament has been created. The top scoring 64 players (per game) of the current NBA season will be facing off head to head to determine the greatest one on one player in the game today.

Coming out of the Western bracket:
#5 Chris Paul (Relevant Info: 6'0/175 | Stats: 20.4/4.6/11.2)
vs.
#12 Steve Nash (Relevant Info: 6'3/178 | Stats: 16.9/3.2/11.1)

The games will be to 21 points with 1's and 2's and winners ball. First competitor to earn 21 votes will advance to the next round.

(Editors Note: Check http://manathalon.weebly.com/ to enjoy complete updates on tournament results.)

Raph12
03-15-2010, 08:17 PM
Gimme CP3 21-14.

KnicksorBust
03-15-2010, 08:22 PM
You gotta think Nash's size advantage would play a big part here.

Bashna
03-15-2010, 08:25 PM
Nash isn't the better defender, but he's the better offensive player. I don't see how (especially considering the kind of year Cp3 is having, compared to the year Nash is having) the easy pick isn't Nash. Nash has been the BEST pg in the league this year, and it shows.

Nash still have the quickness, the superior ball handling, and the better shooting to out-score Cp3 to 21 easily.

I'll go Nash 21-15

HoopsDrive
03-15-2010, 08:26 PM
^^and his atrocious defense as well.

As much as I like Nash's game right now, I'll take CP3 this time around.

21-16

Bashna
03-15-2010, 08:28 PM
You're completely ignorant if you think his defense is "awful" it's not great, but its okay. He stays in front of his man, and against cp3 he's the stronger guard.

The reason Nash's D isn't as good as most is the pick-n-roll defense for he and Amare. it's both of their weaknesses, not man-to-man. Think before you post.

bchissie
03-15-2010, 08:31 PM
You're completely ignorant if you think his defense is "awful" it's not great, but its okay. He stays in front of his man, and against cp3 he's the stronger guard.

The reason Nash's D isn't as good as most is the pick-n-roll defense for he and Amare. it's both of their weaknesses, not man-to-man. Think before you post.

Nash's Defense is awful. Don't say his defense is okay or average....cuz it sucks.

JermanJaysFan
03-15-2010, 08:33 PM
I have to take Nash here.

The thing with this one-on-one tourney thing is, you can't hope to contain the vast majority of the NBA's top scorers one-on-one, even within a team defense. With only one other guy on the court, the defender will probably get beat pretty much every time. He has to straight up stop his man, or hope he misses. No sending him to the help, no double teams. Nothing.

With that in mind, I don't take individual defense a whole lot into consideration in this thing, because chances are, no matter how good of a defender you are, you will probably give up a good look 9 times out of 10. That's why I like Nash over Paul here. He has the better shot certainly, he's got a couple inches to shoot with, and in general has more tools for putting the ball in the hoop.

uchiha
03-15-2010, 08:34 PM
lmao at Wade being a number 2 seed

Bashna
03-15-2010, 08:36 PM
Nash's Defense is awful. Don't say his defense is okay or average....cuz it sucks.

You're oblivious and obviously know little about basketball, defense, Nash and the Suns. Please stop spouting non-sense.

Bashna
03-15-2010, 08:37 PM
I have to take Nash here.

The thing with this one-on-one tourney thing is, you can't hope to contain the vast majority of the NBA's top scorers one-on-one, even within a team defense. With only one other guy on the court, the defender will probably get beat pretty much every time. He has to straight up stop his man, or hope he misses. No sending him to the help, no double teams. Nothing.

With that in mind, I don't take individual defense a whole lot into consideration in this thing, because chances are, no matter how good of a defender you are, you will probably give up a good look 9 times out of 10. That's why I like Nash over Paul here. He has the better shot certainly, he's got a couple inches to shoot with, and in general has more tools for putting the ball in the hoop.

This. nash hits fading jumpers, long jumpers, off-balance jumpers, bank shots, etc. Hes the superior offensive player and that comes into play WAY more than defense in this type of tourney.

HoopsDrive
03-15-2010, 08:42 PM
Not really, his defensive game in almost every aspect is atrocious. Although this is a 1on1 matchup and eliminates other aspects of the defensive game such as lane defense he still won't be able to stay in front of CP3.

The one thing I will say he's good in defense though is in taking charges. Lmao.

bahama0811
03-15-2010, 08:43 PM
Cp3

Bashna
03-15-2010, 08:48 PM
Not really, his defensive game in almost every aspect is atrocious. Although this is a 1on1 matchup and eliminates other aspects of the defensive game such as lane defense he still won't be able to stay in front of CP3.

The one thing I will say he's good in defense though is in taking charges. Lmao.

Wow you're almost as ignorant as the majority of the Kobe homers on PSD. His defense is NOT atrocious, and if you think so you might as well just stop watching basketball.

Raps4TheWin
03-15-2010, 08:57 PM
kid canada ftw

HoopsDrive
03-15-2010, 08:57 PM
Wow you're almost as ignorant as the majority of the Kobe homers on PSD. His defense is NOT atrocious, and if you think so you might as well just stop watching basketball.

Your attempts at defending your point are limited to calling people ignorant and requesting them to stop watching bball? Lmao, plz keep them coming.

I'll say it again: Nash's defense is indeed atrocious. He is better than Calderon though. LOL

Duncan = Donkey
03-15-2010, 09:02 PM
Nash, Paul is over rated

KnicksorBust
03-15-2010, 09:18 PM
I would have thought Paul would have this in a landslide. 1 point game.

JermanJaysFan
03-15-2010, 11:20 PM

And CP3 can't stay in front of him. Scratch that. He can. But he'd have to give Nash a heck of a lot of room.

People don't seem to get it. NO SUPER STAR IN THE NBA CAN BE STOPPED ONE ON ONE. It rarely happens even with the huge safety net of 4 team help defenders, and certainly doesn't happen with no one else on the court. Defensive ability is almost irrelevant in this scenario.

td0tsfinest
03-15-2010, 11:32 PM
did this really have to be a first round matchup?

I chose Paul.

alexander_37
03-16-2010, 12:32 AM
CP3 easy, he could drive on Nash all day, he is way more likely to get steals and is also a very good shooter. Nash has a 3 inch height advantage but Paul has at least a 10 inch vert advantage.

HoopsDrive
03-16-2010, 02:48 AM
And CP3 can't stay in front of him. Scratch that. He can. But he'd have to give Nash a heck of a lot of room.

People don't seem to get it. NO SUPER STAR IN THE NBA CAN BE STOPPED ONE ON ONE. It rarely happens even with the huge safety net of 4 team help defenders, and certainly doesn't happen with no one else on the court. Defensive ability is almost irrelevant in this scenario.

Originally, I was referring to Nash's overall defense but even on a 1on1, I believe that CP3's defense can have a small effect in this matchup since the difference between their defensive ability is huge.

Bashna
03-16-2010, 06:25 AM

You give Nash even a foot of room and he's going to knock down the jumper. Nash isn't quite as quick as paul, but hes stronger, smarter, and bigger.

In this type of Match-up defense is going to be less and less important while offensive efficiency (as in back and forth baskets) will be WAY more important. And in this Area, Nash is king.

Stop looking at the bits and parts, and realize Nash's superiority in the majority of their attributes. Paul may be the better guard in 09' (although, not really considering his year as compared to Nash's) but Nash has had an amazing career BECAUSE of his offensive efficiency. Nash is the best offensive PG in the league, and has been for a Long time.

J-Relo
03-16-2010, 08:23 AM
NASH

He would destroy Paul.

KnicksorBust
03-16-2010, 09:05 AM
Chris Paul advances to the round of 32.

skinsfan4life80
03-16-2010, 09:28 AM
CP3 is nowhere near the offensive player nash is. And if they are playing with 3s forget about. Anyone who watchs basketball knows CP3 gets all his scoring of the pick in roll.

JermanJaysFan
03-16-2010, 09:37 AM
Chris Paul advances to the round of 32.

That's unfortunate.

king4day
03-16-2010, 09:49 AM
I see Nash winning simply because he's a better shooter. He makes a couple of jumpers, then he can have his way with CP going to the rim.
I think CP has more votes because of his defense, but he's more one-dimentional than Nash is. In 1 on one, if you can shoot and take it to the rim how Nash does, then even the greatest D won't help.

Gibby23
03-16-2010, 11:11 AM
I see Nash winning simply because he's a better shooter. He makes a couple of jumpers, then he can have his way with CP going to the rim.
I think CP has more votes because of his defense, but he's more one-dimentional than Nash is. In 1 on one, if you can shoot and take it to the rim how Nash does, then even the greatest D won't help.

Or maybe CP3 is ahead because he plays better D, is younger, faster, can take it to the rim, and shoots the 3 at a 42% clip this season.

Law25
03-16-2010, 11:56 AM

WOW someone needs to pull Kobe's Jank out of ther Bum. This post isnt about Kobe or the so called homers :rolleyes: