PDA

View Full Version : NBA Meets March Madness *Round 1* - #5 David Lee vs. #12 Jason Terry

KnicksorBust
03-15-2010, 08:11 PM
In an effort to combine two of the greatest creations in the world (the NBA and the NCAA Tournament), a new tournament has been created. The top scoring 64 players (per game) of the current NBA season will be facing off head to head to determine the greatest one on one player in the game today.

Coming out of the Southern bracket:
#5 David Lee (Relevant Info: 6'9/250 | Stats: 20.2/11.7/3.5)
vs.
#12 Jason Terry (Relevant Info: 6'2/180 | Stats: 17.0/2.0/3.8)

The games will be to 21 points with 1's and 2's and winners ball. First competitor to earn 21 votes will advance to the next round.

(Editors Note: Check http://manathalon.weebly.com/ to enjoy complete updates on tournament results.)

JermanJaysFan
03-15-2010, 08:38 PM
Offensive versatility and quickness FTW.

KnicksorBust
03-15-2010, 08:44 PM
7 inches + 70 pounds = Victory. Come on people.

tredigs
03-15-2010, 08:53 PM

Any big v. quick guard matchup comes down to one thing. Can the small guy drain three or four open threes? Because if he can, the game's over. David Lee would have to give him significant space, because there is no way in hell that he can guard Terry if he gives him any less than 3 feet near the 3pt line. Terry would be around him and making a layup before Lee turned around.

That said, Lee can just back him down and score four out of five times.

Just to have some continuity for this in future matchups, if it's a huge size discrepancy like this one, I'll say that the small/quick player wins if he can shoot 40% or better FROM THREE* in games (which would translate to about 45-50% in a game like this with that much more space to shoot, and factoring in that he'd probably get 1 out of every 3 offensive rebounds).

So Terry at a career 38% barely misses my fake parameters here, but I think this game would be real close.

Raps4TheWin
03-15-2010, 08:55 PM
The jet is way too quick for David Lee to handle. Lee would pose a strong inside presence but Jason Terry could just hit them open treys

KnicksorBust
03-15-2010, 08:55 PM
Any big v. quick guard matchup comes down to one thing. Can the small guy drain three or four open threes? Because if he can, the game's over. David Lee would have to give him significant space, because there is no way in hell that he can guard Terry if he gives him any less than 3 feet near the 3pt line. Terry would be around him and making a layup before Lee turned around.

That said, Lee can just back him down and score four out of five times.

Just to have some continuity for this in future matchups, if it's a huge size discrepancy like this one, I'll say that the small/quick player wins if he can shoot 40% or better in games (which would translate to about 45-50% in a game like this with that much more space to shoot, and factoring in that he'd probably get 1 out of every 3 offensive rebounds).

So Terry at a career 38% barely misses my fake parameters here, but I think this game would be real close.

:laugh: Lee has added a reliable mid-range jumper too. If Terry plays off him, Lee is money from the elbow.

HoopsDrive
03-15-2010, 09:03 PM
21-19 Lee

Actually, it could go either way IF Terry can stay hot from long range. If he can, Terry takes it. If he can't consistently drain those bombs, Lee will win since he'll dominate the boards and the paint (well, against Terry).

tredigs
03-15-2010, 09:05 PM
:laugh: Lee has added a reliable mid-range jumper too. If Terry plays off him, Lee is money from the elbow.

A reliable mid range jumper doesn't matter here. That's only increasing his chances of losing rather than just trying to back Terry down. It's about being able to hit threes (worth double the points than anything inside the arc in this one-one).

Also, the mid range jumper makes it more likely that Terry will get the rebound in a one on one, being that it's a pretty small bounce, and Terry wouldn't be jumping in to swat him (because he couldn't). But if Terry is launching threes, then Lee has to choose between either leaving him wide open, or jumping in to defend the shot. At that point he's going the wrong way, and Terry has the better chance at getting a loose rebound. I didn't even think about that at first.

In retrospect, Terry probably crushes Lee 21-14. I wish I could change my vote.

tredigs
03-15-2010, 09:10 PM
I think that the bottom line in a one v. one tourney where the scoring is 1pt from inside the arc and 2pt outside, if it's a big v. a guard where the guard can shoot trey's well, and the big can't (like in this case), the guard wins 8/10 times.

Giraffes Rule
03-15-2010, 09:15 PM
I voted Lee, all he's gotta do is back Terry down over and over again and hope he doesn't get tripped.

Ethix11
03-15-2010, 09:18 PM
D Lee

DetroitLions
03-15-2010, 09:24 PM
David Lee is who I think would win

KnicksorBust
03-15-2010, 09:25 PM
I voted Lee, all he's gotta do is back Terry down over and over again and hope he doesn't get tripped.

Exactly. How can Terry possibly stop him on a post up?

tredigs
03-15-2010, 09:49 PM

Assuming it's ref'd by NBA rules, how's he going to GET that post up every time? Back down from three? He wouldn't be able to put it on the floor and slice into the post deep enough EVERY time to get a gimme post up shot. He'd screw a few up/get a few stolen, and it would just be an offensive foul if he tried to barrel backwards for 20 feet into the paint. It's not like he has a teammate to get him the ball once he's already established position.

Bigs who can't drain threes don't have a chance in these matchups, I'm pretty convinced of this. And thinking back on any pickup one on one's I've seen throughout my life, the quicker, more talented, better shooting player almost always wins.

Raph12
03-15-2010, 10:30 PM
Lee has the body for it, too big for Terry to handle, but the Jet is too quick for Lee to handle... I'm torn.

td0tsfinest
03-15-2010, 10:37 PM
The Jet has got quickness but one bad mistake and David Lee will just take over.

believeinNYK
03-15-2010, 11:07 PM
Lee already won

BlondeBomber41
03-15-2010, 11:09 PM
Neither would be able to stop the other. Would it be make it take it? Because if so the guy who got the ball first would win.

JermanJaysFan
03-15-2010, 11:16 PM

Don't know if you've played one on one before. Lets say Terry misses. Lee gets the board. Lee has to take it out PAST the 3pt line, and then get back in close to the net to score. Doing that much ball handling, Terry will probably have 3-4 good swipes at it before he has to think about getting back between DLee and the bucket. And Terry is quick enough to get whatever shot he wants in a one-on-one. I think the guard takes it 9.64 times out of 10 in these matchups.

Hell, Juan Dixon would give Lee a run for his money.

xabial
03-15-2010, 11:23 PM
Terry Could win cuz hes fast but if he misses a shot and lee rebounds hes a goner :shrug:

ldc62
03-16-2010, 12:25 AM

Shouldn't the creator not try to sway votes?

I agree tho.

J-Relo
03-16-2010, 08:28 AM
lights out from 3-> Terry... otherwise Lee

KnicksorBust
03-16-2010, 09:05 AM
David Lee advances to the round of 32.

dstruong
03-16-2010, 12:46 PM
who ever has the ball first will win