PDA

View Full Version : What type of basketball do you prefer?

BALLER71
03-15-2010, 04:19 PM
A post I read in another thread kind of made me create this thread...

did anyone watch the reggie miller: winning time last night on ESPN and see the pacers knicks clips???(like la-bos, chi-ny).. i want the NBA to go back to where they allow players to get physical and not protect the players so much.. let em go all out, don't call touch fouls... make it be alright for players to knock down and smack other players who drive to the lane etc... that's might just be me tho

I also saw the 30 for 30 documentary about Reggie against the Knicks and to me that seems like much better basketball than the current basketball we have. I love watching replays of the Heat and Knicks rivalry that also had this physical defensive minded basketball. It's just awesome to actually see Patrick Ewing allowed to contest a shot without being called for a foul. I've stated this many times before but I really do find basketball somewhat boring now. Everytime Dwyane Wade drives there's a foul and it completely slows down the game and it seems like there's a foul called on any drive to the rim.

My question is do you prefer the current game or basketball in the 80s-90s?

Iodine
03-15-2010, 04:21 PM
I think you are the first person ever who enjoyed the pathetic attempt at basketball that was the knicks-heat playoff series

70's-92=goat

Sixerlover
03-15-2010, 04:21 PM
The games in the 80's and 90's were better to watch if you like more defensive, physical games. Now games are better if you like super high scoring games. It's all opinion.

My opinion is I like the old games better.

DerekRE_3
03-15-2010, 04:27 PM
Fouls are ruining basketball. Let the grown men play.

ManRam
03-15-2010, 04:28 PM
Watching that last made me so happy. I was smiling non-stop. I miss the mid 90s and earlier. Such a better brand of basketball.

Now it's a league full of soft whiners...and even the players who aren't soft, like Kobe, Shaq, Artest, KG, Wade, LeBron and so on, all still whine.

Can't really fix it, it's a generational thing. It comes with all the money they're now making, all the attention and pampering they get from an earlier age, the influx of foreign players etc.

The fans are just as bad. Just look at half the posts that will be made in the playoff game threads. They'll be whining about the refs.

Iodine
03-15-2010, 04:38 PM
Its only half the posts if the cavs/lakers win

sep11ie
03-15-2010, 04:46 PM
I prefer a square basketball.

Chronz
03-15-2010, 04:49 PM
You guys are crazy, the game was getting really ugly to watch. Defenses werent harder in the 80's, that was the era before you had these freakishly long swingmen who could defend. The bigs were better but in the late 90's things started getting out of hand. Look I love the Knicks-Heat rivalries more than anyone here but even I recognized they werent good for the game. Had we never had the rule changes, wed be experiencing the ugliest, inefficient basketball ever seen since the 70's only without the high octane pace to mask the low score tallies. You guys are telling me youd rather watch scores in 80-88 range, than what we have right now?

kidfury
03-15-2010, 04:53 PM
I'd rather watch pro atheletes be men, take a beating and earn your living. Now we have superstars whine and expect to be shooting FT at every single possession. I'd prefer to see less stopping of play for silly fouls and let the players play.

BALLER71
03-15-2010, 04:59 PM
You guys are crazy, the game was getting really ugly to watch. Defenses werent harder in the 80's, that was the era before you had these freakishly long swingmen who could defend. The bigs were better but in the late 90's things started getting out of hand. Look I love the Knicks-Heat rivalries more than anyone here but even I recognized they werent good for the game. Had we never had the rule changes, wed be experiencing the ugliest, inefficient basketball ever seen since the 70's only without the high octane pace to mask the low score tallies. You guys are telling me youd rather watch scores in 80-88 range, than what we have right now?

Yes. I absolutely hate watching Dwyane Wade shooting free throws because someone gently touched his million dollar hands.

cubyfan07
03-15-2010, 05:05 PM
College basketball is so much better then the NBA.

DerekRE_3
03-15-2010, 05:08 PM

Yeah but calling every little touch foul isn't good either. It slows down the game. I don't want to see Lebron shoot free throws. Free throws are only exciting if it's at the end of a game.

X12Celtics3
03-15-2010, 05:16 PM

Most certainly. I hate watching the stars in the league simply drive the line and throw themselves into defenders for a defensive foul, and I'm sick of seeing so many decent to good offensive players who simply don't try on defense. If defenders were allowed to be more physical, those stars might be punished a bit for every attempt at drawing a foul, and those mediocre defenders might put more effort in if they didn't have to worry about getting a foul called for simply looking at a player like Lebron the wrong way.

Slimsim
03-15-2010, 05:19 PM
What i like the most back in the 90s were the rivalry. Guys hated each other. Now everyone is best friends Kobe,LBJ,Wade,Dwight, and more are all buddy buddy. Can you imagine how much more fun it would be to watch a LA and Cavs game if LBJ and Kobe didn't like one another or a heat and orlando game if Dwade and D12 hated 1 another.

Raph12
03-15-2010, 05:38 PM
Physical in the post, the wing play can stay the same, but watching Dwight pick up 3 offensive fouls or a couple of touch fouls on strips is annoying.

Bashna
03-15-2010, 05:50 PM
This thread is hilarious. If the rules reverted back to what they were, Bron kobe and wade fans would be killing people due to the lack of foul calls. The game is better, more efficient, and more exciting because of the rule changes, and although i miss the physical play, it wouldn't work in todays era, it just wouldn't.

albertc86
03-15-2010, 10:10 PM
I think the league has adjusted appropriately. There are a lot of attackers in the league today and a lot of injuries would occur if the game reverted back to its physical ways. I mean, players can't even show any emotion without being hit with a technical. Those physical days are long and gone.

Sly Guy
03-15-2010, 10:30 PM

it's just as simple as this.

td0tsfinest
03-15-2010, 10:43 PM

I agree. Basketball gets a bad rep for being soft.

I hate those little ***** fouls. NBA needs to do something about that.

bagwell368
03-15-2010, 11:00 PM
The games in the 80's and 90's were better to watch if you like more defensive, physical games. Now games are better if you like super high scoring games. It's all opinion.

My opinion is I like the old games better.

High scoring? Try the 60's. In '61-'62 40% of the teams averaged over 120. Nobody over 110 last year.

NYMetros
03-15-2010, 11:14 PM
I always enjoy games when the refs let the players bang a little more. The game is so choppy and boring when it's just a free throw shooting contest. These weak *** touch calls 25 ft from the basket are annoying as hell.

JayW_1023
03-16-2010, 06:58 AM
I like the fact that the game has become more open court and uptempo...but I do miss the grind out defensive battles in the trenches during the 90's. Players like Charles Oakley or Bill Laimbeer wouldn't survive now, because they basically fouled everytime. If they played in this era, they would foul out within the first 6 minutes.

PistonsFan14
03-16-2010, 07:49 AM
The thing is, WHY does the game have to change to adapt to the players? Why doesnt the nba have balls and keep rules the same?

Is it just me or is it abosolutly rediculous that the NBA changes the rules to accomadate the players? To make it benefit them??

Yes I am a Pistons fan but you cant tell me you dont love watching The Bad Boys play against Bird and the Celtics or against the Lakers in the finals. They played a hard, physical and competetive game and it was non-thugish which is the closest we get in todays game.. either you got a bunch of babies or thugs.

All in all theres nothing like rivalry and hate and that is somthing the nba lacks, sure teams might have a game labeled a "rivalry" but it isnt a rivalry game at all. You dont see guys getting shots in with elbows or setting hard screens, and if it does happen instead of thinking your gonna get the guy back on the other end you either flop or whine like a little *****.

Just my 2 cents.

Cavs_Fan24
03-16-2010, 08:36 AM
the style of play 10+ years ago was the best. The problem today is players are crybabys but honestly, they're not sissies. They can take a hit or a slap. Touch fouls ruin the game. It basically says don't play defense because you can't play good defense without being a little aggressive.