PDA

View Full Version : College basketball is wayyyyy more entertaining than the NBA

Hustla23
03-15-2010, 02:48 PM
I don't know if everybody agrees with me but I'm sure many people can relate to what I say.

College bball is flat out a better watch than the joke that the NBA has become today.

A perfect example is the Duke - Georgia Tech game that aired yesterday.

My eyes were glued to the t.v. watching that game.

There was an absolute physical war in the paint between Lawal and Favors and Zoubek and the Plumlee brothers (the battle for position as well as the wrestling matches for rebounds were a joy to see). There was scrappy guard play from Oliver ( who ran the entire course of the court to swat a Nolan Smith dunk attempt ) as well as Scheyer and Smith.

There weren't any lame ticky tack fouls called that slowed down the pace of the game.

The crowd was fierce and into every possession.

Players hustled for every rebound and every lose ball. There was no sense of entitlement.

Each team worked hard to get off a shot against tenacious defense.

In comparison, the N.B.A seems so much more superficial and gimmicky with all the star treatment and lame foul calls.

PLAYERS FAN
03-15-2010, 02:52 PM
I still like the NBA better.

carter15
03-15-2010, 02:53 PM
depends on the game ur watching. ull find college games with ticky tack calls and pro games where they let them play.

JordansBulls
03-15-2010, 02:54 PM
Anything that is one and done is more exciting. If the NBA playoffs were 1 and done with every series I'm sure we would have some of the best games ever every year.

AIsixersFK
03-15-2010, 02:59 PM
Can't really argue with that. College is more entertaining. The players are playing hard and actually get back on defense. The SU UCONN 6OT game last year was by far the best game I have ever seen.

John4142
03-15-2010, 03:03 PM
Beautiful thread.. Couldn't agree more.. I hate the NBA. And I hate the NBA is because the season is too long, they play 4 quarters instead of 2, and they walk. Watch someone play defense in college as opposed to the NBA.. it's pathetic.

There's a reason why so many college games go into overtime.. it's because everyone is giving 100%, 100% of the time. NBA players don't give 100% all the time..

I'm not here to bash the NBA.. I truly think changing the 4 quarters to a 1st and 2nd half would do WONDERS for the sport.

B.JenningsMVP
03-15-2010, 03:03 PM
did anyone watch the reggie miller: winning time last night on ESPN and see the pacers knicks clips???(like la-bos, chi-ny).. i want the NBA to go back to where they allow players to get physical and not protect the players so much.. let em go all out, don't call touch fouls... make it be alright for players to knock down and smack other players who drive to the lane etc... that's might just be me tho

D-Will4Prez
03-15-2010, 03:07 PM
I HATE the 35 second shot clock.

abe_froman
03-15-2010, 03:08 PM
i hear this from people but disagree.,they are amateurs for a reason,its such an inferior product.you can claim scrappyness all you want and pretend there's a purity and all that.but college to me is almost unwatchable

but i hear the arguments from ome like you especially leading up to/including touney time,and have heard all the arguments

Cromedome
03-15-2010, 03:13 PM
I'm glad I caught the end of that Kentucky game while waiting for the Cavs vs Celtics because that was EXCITING.

Jaji
03-15-2010, 03:18 PM
College is like the NBA in slow motion. I love the excitement of the tournament but the playoffs are still better IMO. Basically, college is college and the pros are the pros.

Basketball in its purest form can be seen in women's college. You'll never see so many screens and back cuts and offensive plays run. They've got the fundamentals down pat. I still don't watch it though and no matter how hard the NBA tries to shove the WNBA in my face I won't watch that either. But its nice to know that type of ball still exists.

CTown81
03-15-2010, 03:18 PM
College at tournament time > than NBA Regular Season.

NBA Playoffs are = to College March Maddness

College regular season = sucks.

Things I hate about the college game. Offense is slow. Longer shot clock is a downer.
Things I hate about the pros. The passion isnt the same as in a college game most nights but you can say that about any pro sport vs college sport.

amoore87
03-15-2010, 03:28 PM
^^to the reggie miller comment, that was SICK!!!!!! i remember watching the one game when miller hit 2 3's to tie it in 2 seconds lol i was younger though at the time didnt remember the series being that intense!! college is entertaining, but for one there are about 50 games a day and its great now because of whats at stake so i cant say that its wayyyyyyy more entertaining then the nba cause the pros are great to watch!!

Korman12
03-15-2010, 03:28 PM
When you compare the two I'll give college the edge during tournament time for it's intensity, but that's it. I love college ball and all, but there's something about a 35 second shot clock and each team shooting 40 three pointers a game that kinda gets to me.

I'll take the skill, talent and execution of the NBA any day.

RaptorizedKevin
03-15-2010, 03:35 PM
well everyone has their opinion. MARCH MADNESS THIS WEEK.

ChiSox219
03-15-2010, 03:48 PM

Agreed

i hear this from people but disagree.,they are amateurs for a reason,its such an inferior product.you can claim scrappyness all you want and pretend there's a purity and all that.but college to me is almost unwatchable

but i hear the arguments from ome like you especially leading up to/including touney time,and have heard all the arguments

Agreed

I have a good friend who loves mid-major basketball and to me it's the most boring form of the sport I've seen televised. Big Ten basketball is similar, you get teams playing intense zones against athletes not good enough to penetrate them and usually not skilled enough to shoot the zone away. Possessions are rarely shorter than 30 seconds and final score will be like 52-49 on 40% shooting.

But whatever floats your boat

shep33
03-15-2010, 03:49 PM
I'm a big fan of the NBA, but over the past decade, NCAA has been more entertaining, simply b/c i think that their tournament is the best tournament in all of sports, and the NBA has declined (but starting to get back up) since the 90s.

ManRam
03-15-2010, 03:52 PM
I used to be a big college basketball fan. There just aren't many good regular season match ups anymore. I really don't care at all about any games up until...well...Thursday. I also don't think it's like college football, which is a different sport almost than the NFL, and much more exciting (IMO). I think CBB just looks sloppier.

All they have is the tournament. That's really all I like more. And even so, it always is so anti-climactic IMO. After the first two days, it's all downhill.

And who ever mention the Reggie Miller thing that was on last night...I totally agree. I got goosebumps watching that. If the NBA still operated like that, with all the trash talking, physicality, hard-nose play, and not all this soft, whine-filled crap, the NBA would not only kill CBB, but would be back up there with the NFL.

THATSALL
03-15-2010, 03:55 PM

x2

ItsTheLastAce
03-15-2010, 03:59 PM
did anyone watch the reggie miller: winning time last night on ESPN and see the pacers knicks clips???(like la-bos, chi-ny).. i want the NBA to go back to where they allow players to get physical and not protect the players so much.. let em go all out, don't call touch fouls... make it be alright for players to knock down and smack other players who drive to the lane etc... that's might just be me tho

completely agree

cwilson21
03-15-2010, 03:59 PM
The NBA has really sucked about the last decade. NBA stars are getting away with a lot more and defense is no longer an integral part of the game. Watching the NBA in the mid-90's was much better.

avrpatsfan
03-15-2010, 04:01 PM
Can't really argue with that. College is more entertaining. The players are playing hard and actually get back on defense. The SU UCONN 6OT game last year was by far the best game I have ever seen.

That game was so good. College is the only sport I can watch any game no matter the teams.

Sixerlover
03-15-2010, 04:01 PM
Different style of game. Team ball as opposed to iso and pick and roll basketball.

dtmagnet
03-15-2010, 04:09 PM
College ball is more entertaining for sure, but its harder for me to get attached to one team since I'm in Canada. Thats why NBA appeals to me more.

Raph12
03-15-2010, 04:11 PM
If the NBA just let teams battle it out in the post, it would be so much more fun. The big guys picking up tick-tacky fouls is really annoying, just watch a Magic game.

mser58
03-15-2010, 04:34 PM
could not agree with you more

TopsyTurvy
03-15-2010, 04:37 PM
I get bored with the college game. Too often coaches and players go in opposite directs; the former wanting to maximize tournament success and the latter wanting to improve draft stock. Offense and defensive sets are even more restricted than the professional game and the tournament is setup for upsets -- though it makes for an entertaining watch from a spectator standpoint, there's no margin for error and no catharsis for players or coaches.

The best thing about the college game come tournament time is that everyone starts talking basketball.

AirCanada15ORL
03-15-2010, 07:24 PM
My opinion. NBA a lot more entertaining. College is cool but it's basically swinging the ball around and running shooting plays.
I just like NBA, so much strategy, so much athleticism. Driving in the NBA is awesome, the highlights are awesome, the longer 3 pt shot is awesome. More offense, shorter shot clock.

I like the NBA the best. But if you dont have a favoriite player or team then ya the NBA would suck.

wileyisTOFU
03-15-2010, 07:33 PM
yeah because 35 second shot clocks are soooo enertaining , love watching a pg dribble in circles for 25 sec. then jack up a three. NBA is wayyyyy better

TheDetroitBlue
03-15-2010, 07:33 PM
Completely agree, College is better to me they just lay it all out

I loved watching the Michigan Ohio State big ten tournament game although Im still upset at the finish

Dam you Turner... :mad:

KnicksorBust
03-15-2010, 07:47 PM

I agree. I didn't go to a big basketball college so my rooting interest is limitted. These guys guys are mostly no names who play for 2-3 years and then we never see them again. Now, they only play 1 year if they are really good. There's no history between the players.

NYMetros
03-15-2010, 07:55 PM
I like the NBA playoffs more but enjoy March Madness. The 35 second rule in college is kind of weird. I guess it's good for that level, but I wonder if it'd be better if it was 25 seconds instead. The pace would be quicker and less wasting time by offenses. I personally don't find it entertaining when a college team is intentially waiting till there's 7 seconds left on the clock and then making their move.

JiffyMix88
03-15-2010, 08:04 PM
i agree as far as the fouls go but y i dont like college is because the competition is so lopsided

thedfactor
03-15-2010, 08:11 PM
I choose the NBA and always do in this argument.

My reason is because despite what many pro-college folks say, NBA players compete at an extremely high level of play especially in the playoffs.

When the money issue strikes, that really is a weak argument. It's a business and profession once you join the NBA. College players do play just for the competition, but that's how it has been designed.

March Madness is a bomb time of year, no doubt. I love it. However, I enjoy the NBA playoffs more and would elect to watch that over college.

Yes, in college it's just one and done, but with that format you don't experience the grit and tenacity built up over the course of a grueling possible 7-game game series between two star players or teams with a bitter rivalry. The intensity lasts longer.

Both have their moments, but the NBA game fascinates me more.

_KB24_
03-15-2010, 08:19 PM
March Madness is god's gift to mankind. Cherish, my fellow PSD'rs

Kakaroach
03-15-2010, 08:21 PM
Then go watch college basketball if you love it so much. So do I, I'm filling out my bracket as we speak. But nothing compares to the NBA playoffs.

MJ-BULLS
03-15-2010, 08:25 PM
I think it has to do with this time of year, it's March madness who doesnt like this time of year? Anyway, I still like the NBA more. not saying I like the NCAA, just don't really keep track of it that much. Too many players.

EaglesJackson10
03-15-2010, 08:27 PM
Thanks for stating the obvious.

IversonIsKrazy
03-15-2010, 09:47 PM
College regular season sucks though, its the March Madness and Tourny Week that is just sick. Honestly, if only the NBA shot clock was 20 secs, and no more tick tak fouls, the game would be as exciting as it can get.

gocubs2118
03-15-2010, 09:55 PM
I love college basketball. I could watch college basketball games all day long in the middle of November with two random teams playing. There is nothing like college basketball.

iggypop123
03-15-2010, 10:16 PM
college basketball = praying for upsets. thats all it is. i cant stand watching games where teams play zone and teams pass the ball around for 30 seconds to then shoot a 20 footer which is counted as a 3. then timeouts every second.

homestarunner93
03-15-2010, 10:35 PM
NBA is a joke. Its a bunch of whiny, grown men in a dynamic dunk contest.

td0tsfinest
03-15-2010, 10:38 PM
NCAA March Madness is probably the most entertaining basketball in the world.

mzgrizz
03-15-2010, 10:56 PM

x2
I'd rather go to the dentist than have the college game as my basketball fix.

SteveNash
03-16-2010, 01:22 AM
College basketball is only really entertaining to look for future NBA players.

Most college games consists of bad officiating, bad offense, bad defense, mentally weak players, dumb coaches, corruption, and blowouts.

ldc62
03-16-2010, 01:39 AM
Anything that is one and done is more exciting. If the NBA playoffs were 1 and done with every series I'm sure we would have some of the best games ever every year.

Agree... but they want to make more money. March Madness is hands down better than anything the NBA has to offer, except [maybe] the finals.