PDA

View Full Version : Worst Team Drafting of the Decade

jmoney23
03-15-2010, 01:21 PM
With March Madness coming up soon and the constant buzz surrounding prospects on a yearly basis, I thought it would be interesting to see who everyone thought were the 4-5 teams that did the worst job drafting in the last 10 years...

Bobcats (Morrison, Brendan Wright, Sean May)
Raptors (Araujo, Michael Bradley, Chris Jefferies, Joey Graham)
Pacers (Shawne Williams, Fred Jones, Primo Brezec, David Harrison)
Wizards (Kwame Brown, Jared Jeffries, Juan Dixon, Jarvis Hayes, Oleksiy Pecherov)
Clippers (D.Miles, Chris Wilcox, Melvin Ely, Livingston, Yaroslav Korolev)
Nets (Eddie Griffin, Zoran Planinic, Josh Boone, Marcus Williams, Sean Williams)

BOSTON617
03-15-2010, 01:50 PM
The celtics should be on this list to lol

SA5195
03-15-2010, 02:02 PM
Raptors:

Araujo instead of: Iggy :mad:

Bradley instead of: Zach Randolph, G-Wallace, Tony Parker :cry:

Jefferies instead of: Boozer, Matt Barnes :o

Graham instead of: Granger, Warrick, Nate Robinson, Jason Maxiell, Monta Ellis :cry: :bang: :guns:

td0tsfinest
03-15-2010, 02:04 PM
I think Shuan Livingston would've been a good player in this league if he never got hurt, that's something you can't blame the Clippers for. However, they drafted Yaroslave Korolev. That draft wasn't strong but they could've picked anyone that was drafted affter him and be better off.

mikantsass
03-15-2010, 02:15 PM
Knicks had some bad drafts, and in the good drafts they had the players ended up on other teams

masalex1205
03-15-2010, 02:25 PM
With March Madness coming up soon and the constant buzz surrounding prospects on a yearly basis, I thought it would be interesting to see who everyone thought were the 4-5 teams that did the worst job drafting in the last 10 years...

Wizards (Kwame Brown, Jared Jeffries, Juan Dixon, Jarvis Hayes, Oleksiy Pecherov)
Nets (Eddie Griffin, Zoran Planinic, Josh Boone, Marcus Williams, Sean Williams)

This list is a little off bc it doesn't show the good picks but Im going to go with my Bobcats though Wright was more the Warrirors pick b/c we immediately traded him for J-Rich.

Sean May was a good player, he has just almost eaten himself out of the league but he had a lot of talent. Morrison set us back prob. 3 or 4 years.

I just wish we had traded our Felton pick + our May pick to get Chris Paul, bummer.

asandhu23
03-15-2010, 02:27 PM
Warriors are easily the worst. last two decades were awful with the exceptions of Curry, Ellis and Jason Richardson.

This should explain in detail.

http://www.goldenstateofmind.com/2009/6/22/901354/golden-state-warriors-1st-round

mavwar53
03-15-2010, 02:29 PM
From that list I'd have to go with the Raptors cause I can't even remember who Bradley or Jefferies are, and I don't forget players on any team easily and at least everyone else on the list has at least stayed with teams long enough for their name to be known.

Iodine
03-15-2010, 02:30 PM
Last ten years: Raptors or Warriors
All time stretch: Cavs under Stepien, mostly because they literally traded away so many first rounders that when Stepien left they were given compensation ones

B.JenningsMVP
03-15-2010, 02:35 PM
yeah, it's the Warriors lol

ballpd05
03-15-2010, 02:35 PM

The Hornets. Only Chris Paul in 05 and this year in 09-10 with Thornton and Collison. Other than that it was Brandon Bass (let go), J.R. Smith (traded), Cedric Simmons (bust), Hilton Armstrong (Bust), Julian Wright (bust), David West (overrated), Jamaal Magloire (overrated), Kirk Haston (bust), James Lang (bust).

J-Relo
03-15-2010, 02:39 PM
Suns?

clehmun
03-15-2010, 02:49 PM
raptors are not the worst. they made some bad picks, but made up for it with picks like

Chris Bosh - Franchise player at pick #4.

Bargnani - Although he's not the best player out of that draft (brandon roy), he's right there with Aldridge and Gay, and much better than the other lottery picks like Morrison, TT, Sheldon Williams, Foye, etc.

Mo Pete - Played his best years in TO. was a good defender, and decent scorer for a late first rounder.

Charlie V - a very good rookie, who was traded for TJ. Solid #7 at the time.

Derozan - He's looking like a solid pick as well at #9.

clehmun
03-15-2010, 02:55 PM
The Hornets. Only Chris Paul in 05 and this year in 09-10 with Thornton and Collison. Other than that it was Brandon Bass (let go), J.R. Smith (traded), Cedric Simmons (bust), Hilton Armstrong (Bust), Julian Wright (bust), David West (overrated), Jamaal Magloire (overrated), Kirk Haston (bust), James Lang (bust).

are you kidding?! Hornets did great.
Just because a player is traded doesn't mean it wasn't a good pick.

JR is a solid player, great 6th man.
David West was the 18th pick. that was certainly great value.
Jamaal Magloire was a good center when he playing for the hornets.
Bass is a solid big too.

armstrong was a bust, julian wright was too i agree with you on those ones.

but CP3, collison, thornton, west, JR, magloire were great picks considering the positions they were drafted.

Wisdom Listens
03-15-2010, 03:10 PM
Ndudi Ebi
Rashad McCants
Brandon Roy (traded for Randy Foye)

fairandbalanced
03-15-2010, 03:12 PM
Any Team Jordan is affiliated with has had a bad drafting record since he started taking a big role in management. Watch the Bobcats get crappy within 2 yrs.

McKinnon91
03-15-2010, 03:13 PM
The celtics should be on this list to lol

Not at All Man...

They drafted Joe Johnson in 2001.. later to trade him.
In 2000.. they drafted Jerome Moiso...but behind him..the only good player was Hedo Turkoglu, and michael redd who went 2nd round.

In 2003 we drafted troy bell and traded him for Marcus Banks.
We also got Kendrick Perkins in the draft from Memphis.

The players they missed in that draft were josh howard, kyle korver, and mo williams. but all those players were second round.

In 2004, they drafted Al jefferson. Along with Al they drafted Delonte West, and Tony Allen.

In 2005, they drafted Gerald Green, a future dunk contest winner.
They also drafted Ryan Gomes, one of my favorite players of recent years.

Players they missed in that draft included... Nate Robinson, David Lee, Monta Ellis.

2006 could have possibly been the best and worst. We had the 7th overall pick and drafted Randy Foye... We then traded him, raef lafrenz, and Dan Dickaeu for Sebastian Telfair and Theo Ratliff.
But we also acquired Rajon Rondo at the 21st pick, for a 2007 first rounder. And Leon Powe for a 2007 second rounder.
If we were to have kept the 7th pick, we could have kept Foye, or drafted guys like Rudy Gay.

2007 was the best year.
We had a very high chance of the number 1 pick, or the number 2.
This was the year of Greg Oden and Durant.
We ended up with the 5.
We traded that pick (ended up being Jeff Green) along with Delonte West and Wally Z. for Ray Allen and the later pick (#35 Glen Davis).
Almost imediately after, we traded for Kevin Garnett, trading pretty much all of the draft prospects we collected from previous years. Giving Boston their first title in 20 years.

In 2008, we drafted J.R. Giddens. The only player that would have been a better pick was mario chalmers.

And in 2009, they only had a late second where they drafted Lester Hudson.

So I don't think you could consider Boston one of the worst draft teams.. If you want to go back into the 90's you can see even more draft talent.

clehmun
03-15-2010, 03:16 PM
I think the Hawks are worth mentioning as well.

They made some good picks in Horford, Josh Smith, Diaw.

BUT they also made some absolutely horrible picks.

Marvin Williams at #2 over deron williams, CP3.
Sheldon Williams at #5 over roy and gay.
Acie Law at # 11
Josh Childress at #6 (decent player, but not with deng, iggy, biedrins, al jefferson, nelson, still available).
Dermarr Johnson at #6 over Crawford, Turkoglu (weak draft class though).
also traded a #3 pick in pau gasol for an aging shareef abdur-rahim who only played 3 seasons for the hawks before being traded to the blazers for rasheed (who didn't even play a game for the hawks).

seems like when hawks make a bad picks, it's REALLY bad.

pebloemer
03-15-2010, 03:24 PM

Acie Law at # 11
Josh Childress at #6 (decent player, but not with deng, iggy, biedrins, al jefferson, nelson, still available).
Dermarr Johnson at #6

This thread would be a lot better if people weighed the good drafts with the bad ones like you have been doing. Good pick with Hawks. Their franchise struggled for a long time for a reason.

JIMMY CONWAY
03-15-2010, 03:29 PM
It's all a roll of the dice...

RaffyBoy
03-15-2010, 03:30 PM

Acie Law at # 11
Dermarr Johnson at #6 over Crawford, Turkoglu (weak draft class though).
also traded a #3 pick in pau gasol for an aging shareef abdur-rahim who only played 3 seasons for the hawks before being traded to the blazers for rasheed (who didn't even play a game for the hawks).

actually, haha
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lpeCcFVQU7Q

clehmun
03-15-2010, 03:36 PM
actually, haha
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lpeCcFVQU7Q

haha you're right. i double checked, rasheed actually played ONE game for the hawks.

still a bad move if you asked me, they could have built around gasol. instead, they had shareef for 2.5 seasons and rasheed for one game.

Korman12
03-15-2010, 03:38 PM
Charlotte is always the first one that pops into my head when this question is asked:

Morrison, May, Ajinca and (at this point) Henderson were all bad picks, although I don't like speculating what Henderson will do in the future.

Augustin was good last season but just really regressed. Plus, he was picked ahead of B. Lopez.

CB29
03-15-2010, 04:12 PM
chris jeffries was a late 1st round pick for the raps so y u including him? the warriors drafted patrick o bryant at 7..raps shudn't be on the list...

Niro
03-15-2010, 05:36 PM
yeah warriors..by far

HIPN0TIQ1
03-15-2010, 09:36 PM
um yea the wolves win by a long shot and they also win the award for the unluckiest team in the lottery year after year

DetroitLions
03-15-2010, 09:48 PM
Michael Jordan Kwame Brown and Adam Morrison

Wisdom Listens
03-15-2010, 09:54 PM
um yea the wolves win by a long shot and they also win the award for the unluckiest team in the lottery year after year

Is the award a mask? Because that would be perfect.

GspLAL
03-15-2010, 09:55 PM
I think Shuan Livingston would've been a good player in this league if he never got hurt, that's something you can't blame the Clippers for. However, they drafted Yaroslave Korolev. That draft wasn't strong but they could've picked anyone that was drafted affter him and be better off.

Didn't Shaun Livingston have a pretty good game recently, something like 17 points I think?

zambo4president
03-15-2010, 10:12 PM
I immediately thought Wiz when I saw this.

D Roses Bulls
03-15-2010, 10:55 PM
Knicks had some bad drafts, and in the good drafts they had the players ended up on other teams

yea i think knicks have to be number 1 on this list. horrible, horrible picks. the clippers drafted lamaar odom which wasnt bad.

oh and for the pacers you forgot to add hansbourgh. that guy is gonna be so garbage.

ugafan
03-15-2010, 11:20 PM
I don't see how anybody can not at least mention the Hawks.

TheKing23
03-15-2010, 11:23 PM

Josh Smith and Al Horford cancel out Acie Law and Shelden Williams.

Marvin Williams isn't a bad pick... Only when put into the context of the draft.

Imagine if Chris Paul or Deron Williams were a Hawk...

ldc62
03-16-2010, 03:42 AM

Valid argument, some of them are bad picks. Tho 3 Allstars are on the list.

Iodine
03-16-2010, 08:20 AM
Josh Smith and Al Horford cancel out Acie Law and Shelden Williams.

Marvin Williams isn't a bad pick... Only when put into the context of the draft.

Imagine if Chris Paul or Deron Williams were a Hawk...

That makes it a **** pick
picks are made bad because 50% of deciding it is remembering who comes after them

JasonJohnHorn
03-16-2010, 09:21 AM
Part of me really wants to say Detroit, but I despite the Mateen Cleaves, Rodney White and DARKO debacles, Joe Dumars has made some great picks as well. Okur in the second round, Prince late in the first round, Maxiell and Amir Johnson who are solid contributors, Carlos Delfino has been a pretty decnet player in the league, and a lot of people are high on Stuckey (though I'm not personally a big fan). As for this years picks, we'll have to wait and see, but there is some potential there.

clehmun
03-16-2010, 09:52 AM

I did. Look at post #18.

arkanian215
03-16-2010, 09:52 AM

I don't think you can say the Nets.
Eddie Griffin = RJ (1 of the big 3), Jason Collins (role playing center behind the second big 3) and Armstrong (22nd pick) in a draft day trade.
Marcus Williams and Sean Williams dropped that far on draft day because of mental issues. Clearly those issues carried over to the next level. They both had talent but they just couldn't keep their heads in the game.
Josh Boone was a 23rd pick and Zoran was 22nd.
None of them were lottery picks except Griffin who we traded for three picks.

Having a bad draft track record should probably require the team to have high draft picks for a long time since that's where most of the stars come from. If you don't do a good job drafting at the top, then you're really missing out compared to drafting outside of the lottery where stars are hard to come by.

tr3ymill3r
03-16-2010, 10:23 AM
Pistons - Darko over Melo. Granted they got a championship, but look at where they are now. They have to overpay for guys like Gordon and Charlie V. Not to mention now we get to see how well Melo can flourish with Billups at PG.

Blazers - My history teacher in college said that if you don't learn from your past you're bound to make the same mistake again. I really hate to compare Oden to Bowie, but the college careers are similar with the injuries they both had experienced. Now Oden can't stay healthy enough for 10 games. Just imagine Roy and Durant at the 2 and 3, that would be a difficult match up for absolutely every team.

Suns - When the Suns were running and gunning they decided to trade or sell there picks. For a short term basis it looked like it might work, until the suspensions during the playoffs. Since the series with the Suns it doesn't appear as if they have recovered.

ragee
03-16-2010, 11:32 AM
raptors are not the worst. they made some bad picks, but made up for it with picks like

Chris Bosh - Franchise player at pick #4.

Bargnani - Although he's not the best player out of that draft (brandon roy), he's right there with Aldridge and Gay, and much better than the other lottery picks like Morrison, TT, Sheldon Williams, Foye, etc.

Mo Pete - Played his best years in TO. was a good defender, and decent scorer for a late first rounder.

Charlie V - a very good rookie, who was traded for TJ. Solid #7 at the time.

Derozan - He's looking like a solid pick as well at #9.

I have to agree with this guy...

cmacmath
03-16-2010, 12:03 PM
The Knicks have to be up there. Oddly enough Isiah did a decent job drafting players when given the chance, BUT we don't hold on to ANY of our picks.

In the last ten years (since 2000) we have only had 5 Top 10 picks despite the fact we have been horrible for the last decade and only 1 of those players (Gallinari) is still on the team so obviously we didnt draft any franchise cornerstones.

Notable whiffs:

'03 Michael Sweetney #9 albeit in an incredibly weak draft class after the top 5
'05 Channing Frye #8 over Andrew Bynum or Danny Granger