PDA

View Full Version : Biggest upset in Basketball History

Swashcuff
03-12-2010, 01:19 PM
Lets not just limit this to the NBA; you can also include International Tournaments, WNBA and NCAA.

Here are some candidates

Celtics vs. Lakers 1969 NBA Finals

The aging Celtics who barely made the playoffs by finishing 4th in the Eastern Conference (or Division as it was called back in the day), upset the Western Division Champs Lakers in 7 games in the NBA finals winning game 7 in Los Angeles 108106. It was Wilts first attempt at a championship with the Lakers and it just took the whole Wilt/Russell rivalry to epic proportions.

Warriors vs. Bullets 1975 NBA Finals

The Warriors had a regular season record of 4834 shocked the Bullets who were 6022 by winning the NBA title in a 4-game sweep. Classic case of the underdogs being triumphant. Being taking for that they would have been a push over and the next thing the Bullets knew was SWEEP.

Nuggets vs. SuperSonics 1994 NBA Western Conference Playoffs

The eighth-seeded Denver Nuggets (4240) stunned the top-seeded Seattle Supersonics (6319) in the first round of the 1994 NBA WC Playoffs even after falling behind 20 in what was then a best-of-five series, and then winning the next three games to become the first eighth-seeded team in NBA history to ever defeat a top-seed. The remarkable thing is that they came from 2-0 down to take the series.

Puerto Rico vs. Team USA 2004 Olympic Basketball

Im not American and it felt like an embarrassment to me

Puerto Rico defeated the USA in the first game of the Olympics by 17 points in a game that was dominated from the beginning from the Puerto Rican national team. Several weeks before, the USA won a friendly match prior to the Olympics by over 40 points.

Lakers vs. Pistons 2004 NBA Finals.

Imagine the Lakers had Kobe, Shaq, Karl Malone and Gary Payton and yet still the Pistons beat them in just 5 games with 3 of their 4 wins were won by 12 pts or more. The only game the Lakers won was because of a last second 3-pointer by Kobe. The Lakers were supposedly "unbeatable." They were beaten badly and were so embarrassed they completely dismantled the team the following year. I wasnt a huge shocker that they were beaten what was the big shocker is how badly they we beaten. I really routed for them that year too.

Mavericks vs. Warriors in the 2007 NBA Western Conference Playoffs

No Need to explain because we all remember this but Ill do it still.

The Golden State Warriors, who barely got into the playoffs on the LAST game of the regular season and entering the playoffs as the #8 seed, knocked off the Dallas Mavericks, who entered the playoffs as the #1 seed in the Western Conference with an NBA-best 67 wins during the regular season. The Warriors won in 6 games. This was the second time a #8 seed ever defeated a #1 but first since the 1st round of the playoffs was changed to a 7 game format.

Honourable mention George Mason string of upsets in the 2006 NCAA tournament. If they would have one the tourney it would have probably been the greatest upset story in basketball history.

What do you guys think?

I really interested to hear of those in Europe. I really can't say I know of any from there.

IversonIsKrazy
03-12-2010, 02:38 PM
gotta be one of the Warrior runs. The Nuggets upset was not as good because Mutombo and another star player were injured througout the season and got back in the playoffs. But i'll go with the recent Warriors because i was alive to see it live.

Chronz
03-12-2010, 02:58 PM
I think Elgin was the reason the Lakers lost that year, not sure but I think that was the year he shot a horrific % for the series.

The Pistons vs Lakers wasnt an upset. The Pistons after the trade for Rasheed put up a stretch of the most dominant defense ever witnessed. I made alot of money that year and quite frankly even with Malone healthy I dont think they would have won.

Aside from that 1 its a great list

HoopsDrive
03-12-2010, 03:38 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basketball_at_the_1987_Pan_American_Games

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jimv35aSmes&feature=related

1987 Pan American Games - Basketball

Gold Medal match between Brazil and the United States in Indianopolis. The US were playing at home and were hugely favored to win the gold. The American team featured college players among them David Robinson and Danny Manning.

By halftime, Brazil faced a 68-54 deficit. Oscar Schmidt almost single-handedly led Brazil to a stunning comeback, finishing with 46 points in a 120-115 win and consequently, the gold medal for the Brazilian team.

Hellcrooner
03-12-2010, 03:43 PM
CCCP defeats Usa for the first time with Belanovs clutch shot.

Also USA with Nba Players ends 6th In their own house in indianapolis world cup in 2002 losing to Germany Argentina and Spain.

Spain Loses to Angola :facepalm: in 1992 Barcelona Olimpics

Hellcrooner
03-12-2010, 03:44 PM

Gold Medal match between Brazil and the United States in Indianopolis. The US were playing at home and were hugely favored to win the gold. The American team featured college players among them David Robinson and Danny Manning.

By halftime, Brazil faced a 68-54 deficit. Oscar Schmidt almost single-handedly led Brazil to a stunning comeback, finishing with 46 points in a 120-115 win and consequently, the gold medal for the Brazilian team.

Oscar may very well be the best player ever not to play in the Nba.....him or bodiroga.

GodsSon
03-12-2010, 03:44 PM
CCCP defeats Usa for the first time with Belanovs clutch shot.

Also USA with Nba Players ends 6th In their own house in indianapolis world cup in 2002 losing to Germany Argentina and Spain.

Spain Loses to Angola :facepalm: in 1992 Barcelona Olimpics

Us Portuguese taught them well :D lol

Hellcrooner
03-12-2010, 03:48 PM
Us Portuguese taught them well :D lol

i cant still explain how the **** id tht happen i mean we have won every sinlge time against them by 30 or 40 points ever since or before that day.

We were in our own home court on our own olympics......

TheDetroitBlue
03-12-2010, 03:50 PM
Obviously not the biggest but still up there, I am going to pick the pistons over the lakers in 04 espn picked the lakers all day

HoopsDrive
Oscar may very well be the best player ever not to play in the Nba.....him or bodiroga.

I agree with you there, it's just too bad that he wanted to retain his amateur status to compete for the Brazilian team... he could have been a dominant force in the NBA. Over 49,500 points in a career is a tremendous achievement, even if it didn't come from the NBA.

For some perspective, he could have attained a Larry Bird-like status if he played in the NBA. He was extremely gifted shooting the ball.

GodsSon
i cant still explain how the **** id tht happen i mean we have won every sinlge time against them by 30 or 40 points ever since or before that day.

We were in our own home court on our own olympics......

I was only 8 at the time so I don't even remember...I find it weird how Angola is actually decent at basketball, but sucks at soccer...you would think it would be the opposite

BOSTON617
03-12-2010, 03:51 PM
that laker team should of won im giving them the award
gary payton
kobe
malone
shaq
team was unbelieve able pistons were my team tho i was the biggest ben wallace fan i lvoed that piston team :clap:

ballpd05
03-12-2010, 04:04 PM
I was only 8 at the time so I don't even remember...I find it weird how Angola is actually decent at basketball, but sucks at soccer...you would think it would be the opposite

They are the best team in Africa, but gets beat by 40+ on a consistent basis in the World championships.

What about NAIA Chaminade over #1 Virginia?

Hellcrooner
03-12-2010, 04:07 PM
I agree with you there, it's just too bad that he wanted to retain his amateur status to compete for the Brazilian team... he could have been a dominant force in the NBA. Over 49,500 points in a career is a tremendous achievement, even if it didn't come from the NBA.

For some perspective, he could have attained a Larry Bird-like status if he played in the NBA. He was extremely gifted shooting the ball.

Well not larry bird status.

He had his shortcomings ( defense mainly)

And he woudl have had to fight aginst strong bias by american coaches wich killed some of the pioneers like Fernando Martin and Gergi Glouchov.

But he could have very probably be a good starter in any franchise and or an ocassional all star in a team that didnt care bout D like say 80s Nuggets.

Yeah teh " amateur rulw" was ****.

After los angeles 84 finals many scouts were impressed with EPI from spain even Ewing recommended him to try the league but he didnt want to lose elegibility for spain so he turned down all the oofers.

He could ahve been a good role player to take 20-25 minutes form the bench in the end he was declared the best euro player form the 80s decade.

Bravo95
03-12-2010, 04:16 PM
Team USA getting blown out by Puerto Rico in the '04 Olympics easily. The effort in that game was just disgusting

HoopsDrive
03-12-2010, 04:25 PM
Well not larry bird status.

He had his shortcomings ( defense mainly)

And he woudl have had to fight aginst strong bias by american coaches wich killed some of the pioneers like Fernando Martin and Gergi Glouchov.

But he could have very probably be a good starter in any franchise and or an ocassional all star in a team that didnt care bout D like say 80s Nuggets.

Yeah teh " amateur rulw" was ****.

After los angeles 84 finals many scouts were impressed with EPI from spain even Ewing recommended him to try the league but he didnt want to lose elegibility for spain so he turned down all the oofers.

He could ahve been a good role player to take 20-25 minutes form the bench in the end he was declared the best euro player form the 80s decade.

Yea, that Bird comparison was just me showing a lot of bias for Oscar :D

He'd probably avg 20+ pts per season for some time in the NBA though and he had just a good of a shooting touch as Bird although he was incredibly slow on defense as you said.

This shootout between Petrovic and Oscar is just incredible.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPkXkZZsPGw

Chronz
03-12-2010, 04:39 PM
Obviously not the biggest but still up there, I am going to pick the pistons over the lakers in 04 espn picked the lakers all day

R U Serious?

JordansBulls
03-12-2010, 05:17 PM
Lets not just limit this to the NBA; you can also include International Tournaments, WNBA and NCAA.

Here are some candidates

Celtics vs. Lakers 1969 NBA Finals

The aging Celtics who barely made the playoffs by finishing 4th in the Eastern Conference (or Division as it was called back in the day), upset the Western Division Champs Lakers in 7 games in the NBA finals winning game 7 in Los Angeles 108106. It was Wilts first attempt at a championship with the Lakers and it just took the whole Wilt/Russell rivalry to epic proportions.

Warriors vs. Bullets 1975 NBA Finals

The Warriors had a regular season record of 4834 shocked the Bullets who were 6022 by winning the NBA title in a 4-game sweep. Classic case of the underdogs being triumphant. Being taking for that they would have been a push over and the next thing the Bullets knew was SWEEP.

Nuggets vs. SuperSonics 1994 NBA Western Conference Playoffs

The eighth-seeded Denver Nuggets (4240) stunned the top-seeded Seattle Supersonics (6319) in the first round of the 1994 NBA WC Playoffs even after falling behind 20 in what was then a best-of-five series, and then winning the next three games to become the first eighth-seeded team in NBA history to ever defeat a top-seed. The remarkable thing is that they came from 2-0 down to take the series.

Puerto Rico vs. Team USA 2004 Olympic Basketball

Im not American and it felt like an embarrassment to me

Puerto Rico defeated the USA in the first game of the Olympics by 17 points in a game that was dominated from the beginning from the Puerto Rican national team. Several weeks before, the USA won a friendly match prior to the Olympics by over 40 points.

Lakers vs. Pistons 2004 NBA Finals.

Imagine the Lakers had Kobe, Shaq, Karl Malone and Gary Payton and yet still the Pistons beat them in just 5 games with 3 of their 4 wins were won by 12 pts or more. The only game the Lakers won was because of a last second 3-pointer by Kobe. The Lakers were supposedly "unbeatable." They were beaten badly and were so embarrassed they completely dismantled the team the following year. I wasnt a huge shocker that they were beaten what was the big shocker is how badly they we beaten. I really routed for them that year too.

Mavericks vs. Warriors in the 2007 NBA Western Conference Playoffs

No Need to explain because we all remember this but Ill do it still.

The Golden State Warriors, who barely got into the playoffs on the LAST game of the regular season and entering the playoffs as the #8 seed, knocked off the Dallas Mavericks, who entered the playoffs as the #1 seed in the Western Conference with an NBA-best 67 wins during the regular season. The Warriors won in 6 games. This was the second time a #8 seed ever defeated a #1 but first since the 1st round of the playoffs was changed to a 7 game format.

Honourable mention George Mason string of upsets in the 2006 NCAA tournament. If they would have one the tourney it would have probably been the greatest upset story in basketball history.

What do you guys think?

I really interested to hear of those in Europe. I really can't say I know of any from there.

Detroit over LA in 2004 (Shaq and Kobe prior to that had never lost a series with HCA. Both players were top 5 players in the league, and Detroit only had a guy on the team that was known for defense as it's star player. Not to mention that it was said if Detroit won 1 game in the series it would be considered a good series.)

Warriors over Bullets in 1975 (Bullets won 60 games and the Warriors 47. It was said the Bullets were to sweep the Warriors, but the Bullets themselves got swept.)

Celtics over Lakers in 1969 (It was predicted that the Lakers would destroy the old battered Celtics. Lakers players were even interviewed in game 7 before the contest and it was said the order that they would be interviewed in after LA won the title.)

JordansBulls
03-12-2010, 05:20 PM
R U Serious?

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/basketball/games/2004-06-06-finals-game1_x.htm

It was the first home playoff game the heavily favored Lakers have lost after winning nine in a row, and it cost them home-court advantage.

http://www.nba.com/games/20040601/INDDET/recap.html

the Pistons eliminated the Pacers in six games and will face the heavily favored Los Angeles Lakers for the championship beginning Sunday.

shep33
03-12-2010, 05:25 PM
USA getting destroyed by Puerto Rico, it wasn't even close at all. The Lakers Pistons series was unique, b/c the Pistons played great, and the Lakers imploded, that year was just weird for them, Kobe's trial, Kobe-Shaq issues, Shaq being severely out of shape (lost 30lbs i think the next year with the heat?) Karl and Gary not fitting in and were really done, Gary Payton just got owned by Billups, it wasn't even close. Detroit deserved it though, i think they woulda beaten any team out west.

Swashcuff
03-12-2010, 08:07 PM
I think Elgin was the reason the Lakers lost that year, not sure but I think that was the year he shot a horrific % for the series.

The Pistons vs Lakers wasnt an upset. The Pistons after the trade for Rasheed put up a stretch of the most dominant defense ever witnessed. I made alot of money that year and quite frankly even with Malone healthy I dont think they would have won.

Aside from that 1 its a great list

reason why i chose this one was because of how convincingly the were beating. The were hammered and all the build up was around these four fut HOFers and to see how badly they were beaten in the finals was an upset in my mind.

Swashcuff
03-12-2010, 08:08 PM
Detroit over LA in 2004 (Shaq and Kobe prior to that had never lost a series with HCA. Both players were top 5 players in the league, and Detroit only had a guy on the team that was known for defense as it's star player. Not to mention that it was said if Detroit won 1 game in the series it would be considered a good series.)

Warriors over Bullets in 1975 (Bullets won 60 games and the Warriors 47. It was said the Bullets were to sweep the Warriors, but the Bullets themselves got swept.)

Celtics over Lakers in 1969 (It was predicted that the Lakers would destroy the old battered Celtics. Lakers players were even interviewed in game 7 before the contest and it was said the order that they would be interviewed in after LA won the title.)

Nice! :clap:

Iodine
03-12-2010, 08:25 PM
R U Serious?

Well it's not like shaq and kobe were imploding the team, malone was out, and all the vets looked like they needed 3 shots of redbull spiked with acid to jump right?

Oh it was

Niro
03-12-2010, 08:27 PM
warriors 2007

PHX2daDEATH
03-12-2010, 08:35 PM
For me... its got to be the Nuggets and Sonics

Coming back 0-2 is a hard thing to do in a 5 game series..I did not expect Denver to come back..I think this stands out the most because after Denver won and seeing Mutombo on the floor holding the ball in his hands..is one image i'll never forget as a basketball fan.. The Sonics were DOMINANT that year.. Kemp, Payton, Detlef, Kendall Gill.. Everyone was picking them to win it all.. it was an exciting playoffs because there was no Jordan around.. everyone anticipated crowning a new champ. This was the first year we saw Reggie vs The Knicks ( Can't wait for ESPN special to air on that! ).

also Im going to YOUTUBE the 1969 Finals as we speak

masalex1205
03-12-2010, 09:03 PM
team usa getting blown out by puerto rico in the '04 olympics easily. The effort in that game was just disgusting

+1

starscream2108
03-12-2010, 09:28 PM
They are the best team in Africa, but gets beat by 40+ on a consistent basis in the World championships.

What about NAIA Chaminade over #1 Virginia?

This

kArSoN RyDaH
03-12-2010, 09:32 PM
mannn 2004 finals when we had kobe shaq malone payton i thought we were going to blow past them. idk what happened .=[[ definately biggest upset.

MacFitz92
03-12-2010, 10:02 PM
Probably Team USA losing to Puerto Rico in the '04 Olympics.

GS beating Dallas in '06-'07 season wasn't as big as a shock as many think. Yes we were really good, but if their was any team to beat us in the playoffs that year, it was them. In the regular season they swept us in three games. Some teams just don't match up well against others, and this is a prime example.

Swashcuff
03-12-2010, 10:19 PM
That is not an upset making it offtopci.

That also is a baiting trying to make me stirke at you in anger.

Im fed up of your continuous racist coments towards europeans

specially against spansh players

Iv eput up with it for more than a year.

No longer.

Youve been reported.

Go Crooner rep yo hood!!! :clap:

BALLER71
03-12-2010, 10:30 PM
Brazil whooping US's *** in the 80s, I believe.

asandhu23
03-12-2010, 10:41 PM

GS beating Dallas in '06-'07 season wasn't as big as a shock as many think. Yes we were really good, but if their was any team to beat us in the playoffs that year, it was them. In the regular season they swept us in three games. Some teams just don't match up well against others, and this is a prime example.

lol... you are downplaying how big of an upset that was because it was your team that got beat. Noone thought Warriors would beat the Mavs.

PHX2daDEATH
03-12-2010, 10:51 PM

okay.. so the mavs win 67 games in a season..some people thought they would win 70 but they sat some guys towards the end of the year.. only 4 or 5 teams in history won more or equal games in the regular season...statistically that was the biggest upset ever..

Chronz
03-13-2010, 03:45 AM
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/basketball/games/2004-06-06-finals-game1_x.htm

http://www.nba.com/games/20040601/INDDET/recap.html

r u serious?

Chronz
03-13-2010, 03:46 AM
reason why i chose this one was because of how convincingly the were beating. The were hammered and all the build up was around these four fut HOFers and to see how badly they were beaten in the finals was an upset in my mind.
Were you paying attention to Detroit once they made the trade and the Lakers health? If so, you shouldnt have been surprised

Meth
03-13-2010, 04:01 AM
Kansas vs Memphis

whitekimbo
03-13-2010, 04:25 AM

so many biased people on this website. u make your own upset with your country just so u and ur team can get some attention. mission successful. would u like a cookie?

kArSoN RyDaH
03-13-2010, 06:20 AM
Were you paying attention to Detroit once they made the trade and the Lakers health? If so, you shouldnt have been surprised

true i remember the lakers being very banged up that year throughout the season and i dont think they were fully healthy in the finals, not to take away anything from detroit who played their asssses off against us.. but i still believe it was a big upset.heck if it wasnt for kobe making that clutch 3 pointer in game two they wouldve sweeped us..

Hellcrooner
03-13-2010, 11:43 AM
so many biased people on this website. u make your own upset with your country just so u and ur team can get some attention. mission successful. would u like a cookie?

Lol USA hadnt lost a game for 15 years and the RObinson/Manning led team was really supposed to be the strongest since 1984 so YES that was a BIG upset.

In fact ThAT loss was the one that started the sending the Pros conversation. then Urrs beating you the next year in the olympics put the nails in the coffin for ncaa players making usa team

king4day
03-13-2010, 12:30 PM
I'd say LA/Detroit.
Pistons had good players on their teams, but Billiups wasn't a star yet and that series made Rip and Prince.
LA had 2 superstars and two former superstars.
Had it not been for a miracle Kobe shot in game 2, it would have been a sweep. No one expected a detroit win, let alone, in such dominant fashion.

king4day
03-13-2010, 12:32 PM

LA could have been 100% healthy and they still weren't winning that series.
Detroit was that dominant.

Chronz
03-13-2010, 12:38 PM
true i remember the lakers being very banged up that year throughout the season and i dont think they were fully healthy in the finals, not to take away anything from detroit who played their asssses off against us.. but i still believe it was a big upset.heck if it wasnt for kobe making that clutch 3 pointer in game two they wouldve sweeped us..

If it wasnt for Kobe sucking the entire series it wouldve probably still been over in 5 but they wouldve been competitive, had Malone been healthy it probably wouldve gone 6. But it definitely wasnt an upset. Not if you paid attention to detail, that team is perhaps the best defensive team of all time.

Chronz
03-13-2010, 12:40 PM
I'd say LA/Detroit.
Pistons had good players on their teams, but Billiups wasn't a star yet and that series made Rip and Prince.
LA had 2 superstars and two former superstars.
Had it not been for a miracle Kobe shot in game 2, it would have been a sweep. No one expected a detroit win, let alone, in such dominant fashion.
Billups was the same player he always was, Rip sucked that series with Kobe hounding him and played his best ball in the earlier rounds. LA had 1 one of their former stars injured. Your revisionist history sucks, its like you dont remember that series at all.

Chronz
03-13-2010, 12:40 PM
LA could have been 100% healthy and they still weren't winning that series.
Detroit was that dominant.

I know, thats why Ive been saying it WASNT an upset. If you felt this way then how is it an upset?

allvalleychamp
03-13-2010, 12:44 PM
1972 Russia defeats US Men's basketball in the Olympics

dwadefan03
03-13-2010, 12:53 PM
miami heat v dallas 2006 nba finals when they were down 2-0

HoopsDrive
03-13-2010, 01:52 PM

Lol USA hadnt lost a game for 15 years and the RObinson/Manning led team was really supposed to be the strongest since 1984 so YES that was a BIG upset.

In fact ThAT loss was the one that started the sending the Pros conversation. then Urrs beating you the next year in the olympics put the nails in the coffin for ncaa players making usa team

Took the words right outta my mouth lol.

Chronz
03-13-2010, 01:54 PM

Suppose to be? That team had no shooters, it was basically the college version of the bronze teams of our 2000 era. It was still an upset but Robinson and Manning dont comprise of an entire team.

Hellcrooner
03-13-2010, 02:12 PM
^it was on a time usa teams were supoosedly invincible

Chronz
03-13-2010, 02:16 PM
^it was on a time usa teams were supoosedly invincible

Yea maybe we just have different ideas as to what constitutes an upset, maybe we should have won and the hype was that we were invincible, but on paper that team lacked key elements. Thats the year they didnt bring Mitch Ritchmond right.

avrpatsfan
03-13-2010, 02:27 PM
The Warriors one was so big. The crowd and the upset was so amazing. That should be the biggest one.

Cracka2HI!
03-13-2010, 02:34 PM
If you take the entire history of a franchise into consideration it would have to be the Clippers actually winning a playoff series in 2006!

Catoblepas
03-13-2010, 02:42 PM
well i did love that 03-04 pistons team 1st off..but after reading The Last Season by Phil Jackson.. I understand why the Lakers lost.. Karl Malone/Shaq were pretty beaten up.. Not only that but The Lakers teams chemistry wasnt soo great.. Gary Payton and Derek Fisher were at a constant battle for starting pt guard postition.. until the playoffs derek won that battle..Phil told Gary through out the season that he was saving him for the playoffs. As most already know Kobe and shaq had problems of thier own..
Oh sorry i did kinda get off topic...but i was just explaining why i think it really wasnt that big of an upset... The pistons team under Larry Brown could have went alot further..

JordansBulls
03-13-2010, 03:04 PM
r u serious?

They had HCA as well.

king4day
03-13-2010, 05:48 PM
I know, thats why Ive been saying it WASNT an upset. If you felt this way then how is it an upset?

I don't think anyone expected LA to lose, let alone be that outplayed.
In hindsite, maybe it wasn't, but at the time, going in, everyone knew Detroit had a good defense, but no one thought it was good enough to topple a juggernaut.

king4day
03-13-2010, 05:50 PM
Billups was the same player he always was, Rip sucked that series with Kobe hounding him and played his best ball in the earlier rounds. LA had 1 one of their former stars injured. Your revisionist history sucks, its like you dont remember that series at all.

My understanding was both Malone and Payton were hurting. Malone more-so.
But it sounds like you're still upset. If you're gonna talk that way, I'll just stop responding to your posts in this thread.

Chronz
03-13-2010, 05:54 PM
They had HCA as well.
Too bad they didnt have the better team, or else it wouldve been an upset.

Chronz
03-13-2010, 05:57 PM
My understanding was both Malone and Payton were hurting. Malone more-so.
But it sounds like you're still upset. If you're gonna talk that way, I'll just stop responding to your posts in this thread.

Payton was healthy, he was just old and tired from being the most consistent Laker during the regular season. Malone was totally done by the time the Finals came around.

Upset? I won alot of money on that series, I was sold on Detroit making the Finals when they went on that run of consecutive sub-70 and 80PTS allowed and without Malone/Grant the Lakers simply didnt have the talent to keep up. Dont people always say defense wins championships, yet when confronted with quite possibly the best defense of all time, they are shocked that they won? How does this make sense?

Chronz
03-13-2010, 06:06 PM
I don't think anyone expected LA to lose, let alone be that outplayed.
In hindsite, maybe it wasn't, but at the time, going in, everyone knew Detroit had a good defense, but no one thought it was good enough to topple a juggernaut.
Good defense? Try the best defense ever assembled. It wasnt a popular pick, but much of that was because of the misguided notion that the East powers were weak.

Sure in hindsight it looks horrible, my point is that there was sufficient evidence THEN that the Pistons were atleast on par with the Lakers. People just couldnt get past the aura of Purple n Gold. By the time we learned Malone wouldnt be able to play we shouldve changed our perspective into the Pistons being favorites.

To me its not an upset if the better team won. If its a team that should have won and lost, like the Sonics vs Nuggs or Rockets vs Lakers in the 80's. Those were clearly better teams that lost due to matchups, lack of intensity whatever, inexcusable lapses that cost the team. Those are upsets, but when a clearly more talented team wins, how does that qualify?

Iodine
03-13-2010, 06:14 PM

HCA>>>>Players though

dev0
03-13-2010, 06:44 PM
i'm going to say when the Generals finally beat the Globetrotters to end a streak of 9653482664593 wins

Meth
03-13-2010, 09:53 PM
Upsets are funny.

Swashcuff
03-13-2010, 10:44 PM
i'm going to say when the Generals finally beat the Globetrotters to end a streak of 9653482664593 wins

aren't you the guy who started the Bogut best C in the game thread because thats how much he said Bogut was better than Howard.

JordansBulls
03-14-2010, 12:47 AM

Umm they did. 4 top 30 players all time along with 2 top 5 players in the league on the same time against a team that didn't even have a top 25 player in the league. Probably one of the top 3 biggest upsets ever in finals history.

Can-I-Live
03-14-2010, 01:51 AM
unc and kansa's 2008 final 4 uk won

Evolution23
03-14-2010, 01:57 AM
USA should never lose in basketball in the Olympics... Enough said!

Chronz
03-14-2010, 01:58 AM
Umm they did. 4 top 30 players all time along with 2 top 5 players in the league on the same time against a team that didn't even have a top 25 player in the league. Probably one of the top 3 biggest upsets ever in finals history.

r u serious

Hellcrooner
03-14-2010, 02:28 AM
Ah i knew i would find it.

First game ever between and Nba team and an European team.

Then current champions washington bullets were defeated by Maccabi Tel Aviv

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_NBA_vs_FIBA_games

Fireworld
03-14-2010, 03:09 AM
Considering my age and what I've seen, I have to go with Mavericks VS Warriors. I was shocked to say the least.