PDA

View Full Version : Rank the 5 teams most likely to win it all.

G-Funk
03-12-2010, 11:49 AM
1. Lakers: Defending Champs and still 2nd best record with a bullseye on their back. 3rd Best Defensive team

2. Magic: Dominated the Cavs in the playoffs last year and porved that they don't need HC advantage. This team can't wait for the Playoffs. 2nd Defensive team

3. Cavaliers: They have Homecourt advantage and are the favorites to beat the Magic and Lakers. Ranked 7th Defensively

4. Nuggets: Team has enought confidence to beat the Lakers. They are probably a better team then Cavs and Magic. Ranked 16th Defensively(not good)

5. Mavericks: Playing like crazy but need a full season to jell. Ranked 12 defensively but probably better after trade

ldc62
03-12-2010, 11:56 AM
In Order:

Mavs
Lakers
Cavs
Nuggets
Magic

It was tough outside Mavericks. 2-5 is definitely interchangeable.

G-Funk
03-12-2010, 12:02 PM
U really think that the Mavs can beat the Nuggets Lakers and Magic/Cavs 12 out of 21 games?

ChiSox219
03-12-2010, 12:03 PM
Lakers
Magic
Cavs
Nuggets
Jazz

td0tsfinest
03-12-2010, 12:03 PM
In Order:
Cavs
Lakers
Mavs
Magic
Nuggets

Hawkeye15
03-12-2010, 12:13 PM
Cavs
Magic
Lakers
Nuggets
Celtics/Mavs

TheKing23
03-12-2010, 12:19 PM
1. Cavs
2. Magic
3. Lakers
4. Mavs
5. Nuggets

FairWeatherFan?
03-12-2010, 12:24 PM
Lakers
Cavs
Magic
Nuggets
Mavs

HoopsDrive
03-12-2010, 12:26 PM
Lakers
Mavs
Cavs
Magic
Nuggets

Jaji
03-12-2010, 12:30 PM
Cavs
Lakers
Mavs
Nuggets
Magic

Raph12
03-12-2010, 12:32 PM
1. Lakers: Defending Champs and still 2nd best record with a bullseye on their back. 2nd Best Defensive team

2. Magic: Dominated the Cavs in the playoffs last year and porved that they don't need HC advantage. This team can't wait for the Playoffs. 7th Defensive team

3. Cavaliers: They have Homecourt advantage and are the favorites to beat the Magic and Lakers. Ranked 11th Defensively

4. Nuggets: Team has enought confidence to beat the Lakers. They are probably a better team then Cavs and Magic. Ranked 20th Defensively(not good)

5. Mavericks: Playing like crazy but need a full season to jell. Ranked 15 defensively but probably better after trade

The Magic have the 3rd best defensive rating 102.5 (3rd of 30 [0.1 behind LA and 0.4 behind Boston]), 3rd in oppPPG (95.1), 1st at oppEFG% (.475), 1st in oppFG% (.436), 1st at DRB% (.775) and 1st in DRBpg (33.6)... Where did you get 7th defensive team from?!?!?

Hellcrooner
03-12-2010, 12:34 PM
1 Lakers

2 Mavericks

3 Magic

4 Nuggets

5 Cavs

Gibby23
03-12-2010, 12:40 PM
1 Lakers

2 Mavericks

3 Magic

4 Nuggets

5 Cavs

G-Funk
03-12-2010, 12:42 PM
The Magic have the 3rd best defensive rating 102.5 (3rd of 30 [0.1 behind LA and 0.4 behind Boston]), 3rd in oppPPG (95.1), 1st at oppEFG% (.475), 1st in oppFG% (.436), 1st at DRB% (.775) and 1st in DRBpg (33.6)... Where did you get 7th defensive team from?!?!?

Your right I got them from nba.com whre did u get ur s from

pebloemer
03-12-2010, 01:16 PM
1. Cavs
2. Lakers
3. Mavericks
4. Magic
5. Nuggets

Raph12
03-12-2010, 01:23 PM
Your right I got them from nba.com whre did u get ur s from

Show me the link, because NBA.com has them at #1 for oppFG% and #4 for oppPPG;
http://www.nba.com/statistics/sortable_team_statistics/sortable1.html#top

basketball-reference.com has them at #3 for defensive rating (0.1 behind LA and 0.4 behind Boston), #1 for oppEF% and #1 for DRB%;
http://www.basketball-reference.com/leagues/NBA_2010.html

AIMelo=KillaDUO
03-12-2010, 01:44 PM
Lakers
Nuggets
Magic
Cavs
Mavs

TheKing23
03-12-2010, 01:48 PM
1. Lakers: Defending Champs and still 2nd best record with a bullseye on their back. 3rd Best Defensive team

2. Magic: Dominated the Cavs in the playoffs last year and porved that they don't need HC advantage. This team can't wait for the Playoffs. 2nd Defensive team

3. Cavaliers: They have Homecourt advantage and are the favorites to beat the Magic and Lakers. Ranked 7th Defensively

4. Nuggets: Team has enought confidence to beat the Lakers. They are probably a better team then Cavs and Magic. Ranked 16th Defensively(not good)

5. Mavericks: Playing like crazy but need a full season to jell. Ranked 12 defensively but probably better after trade

I know it has the Cavs ranked 7th in defensive rating but I think you need to take more things into account when deciding how good a team is defensively.

The Cavs ranking defensively:

3rd in OPP PPG - 95.09
2nd in OPP FG% - 43.8%
7th in OPP 3PT% - 34.4%
2nd in OPP RPG - 38.2
6th in BPG - 5.56

They are not ranked lower than 7th in any of those categories and rank in the top three in three of the most important defensive categories... OPP PPG, OPP FG% and OPP RPG.

They are definitely a better defensive team than the Thunder, Bobcats and Bucks who are all ranked above them in defensive efficiency, so I don't think we should look into that as much.

xbrackattackx
03-12-2010, 01:48 PM
1 Lakers

2 Mavericks

3 Magic

4 Nuggets

5 Cavs

LanceUpperCut
03-12-2010, 01:51 PM
1. Cavs
2. Magic
3. Lakers
4. Mavs
5. Nuggets

+1

Chronz
03-12-2010, 01:57 PM
Yea your defensive metrics are all wrong, please start using per possession metrics and help spread the word. Nobody should still rely on outdated garb. Its a shame this isnt widespread around here.

Chronz
03-12-2010, 01:59 PM
Oh and my list by playoff time assuming key players are back in time for the playoffs:

Lakers
Cavs
Magic
Nuggets
Jazz

GodsSon
03-12-2010, 02:00 PM
1. Cavs
2. Lakers
3. Magic
4. Mavs
5. Nuggets

Tribe
03-12-2010, 02:00 PM
1. Lakers - Hate to say it but there the defending champs and Artest isnt a downgrade

2. Cavs - With a healthy Shaq and Z back in the mix come playoff time Lebron will have
best supporting cast in the league

3. Nuggets - Melo, Billups, Nene will have to win some on the road to reach the finals

4. Mavs - Who would of though Brendan Haywood would make such an impact...This
team atleast seems like its for real...if they can keep it going thru the
postseason then they will be tough to knock off

5. Hawks - I think the Hawks could surprise many people come playoff time...This team
has made it there before and they can run anyone out of the gym on any
given night

Raph12
03-12-2010, 02:18 PM
1. Lakers - Hate to say it but there the defending champs and Artest isnt a downgrade

2. Cavs - With a healthy Shaq and Z back in the mix come playoff time Lebron will have
best supporting cast in the league

3. Nuggets - Melo, Billups, Nene will have to win some on the road to reach the finals

4. Mavs - Who would of though Brendan Haywood would make such an impact...This
team atleast seems like its for real...if they can keep it going thru the
postseason then they will be tough to knock off

5. Hawks - I think the Hawks could surprise many people come playoff time...This team
has made it there before and they can run anyone out of the gym on any
given night

2 - This I agree with

5 - This I don't

Side Note - Surprised you don't have the Magic in your Top 5 and you have the Hawks (who they beat 3 times this season by a margin of 25+) ahead of them.

uk2k
03-12-2010, 02:20 PM
1. Lakers
2. Nuggets
3. Magic
4. Cavs
5. Mavs

Mavrix
03-12-2010, 02:23 PM
Lakers
Cavs
Mavs
Magic
Nuggets

faridk89
03-12-2010, 02:37 PM
Lakers
Cavs
Magic
Nuggets
Mavs

i second this

JIMMY CONWAY
03-12-2010, 02:39 PM
Lakers
Magicians
Cavaliers
Nuggets
Mavericks

Los Angeles doesn't focus on defense yet are still one of the best defensive teams in the L. Gasol missed 15 plus games, Artest missed 5 plus, Kobe missed 5, and Walton arguably one of their best bench players who knows the system as well as anyone has been out the majority of the season. If this team was healthy all season its hard to argue them not having the best record in the L.

Melo15
03-12-2010, 04:13 PM
Lakers
Magic
Cavs
Nuggets
Mavs

RadiantShot
03-12-2010, 04:16 PM
Magic
Cavs
Lakers
Nuggets
Mavs

hvg
03-12-2010, 04:48 PM
1. Lakers
2. Cavs
3. Magic
4. Mavs
5. Celtics

I really don't think any other team can win it all. The Nuggets are one good defensive center (true center - K-Mart, Nene and Birdman are all PFs) away from being a real contender and the same is true for the Jazz.

wolf3742
03-12-2010, 04:54 PM
1. Cavs - Upgrade of Jamison looks really good right now
2. Lakers - Only thing why I don't have them as no.1 is because of their current troubles
3. Magic - The players are starting to find their nich finally and I think they are not yet playing at their full potential
4. Mavs - The trade for Butler and Haywood is working great for them right now.
5. Boston - Having a rough time right now but I think they can put themselves back together by playoffs

I still think the Magic, Lakers, Cavs and Mavs is really close to each other talent wise.

JordansBulls
03-12-2010, 05:12 PM
Cavs
Lakers
Magic
Celtics
Mavs

handle
03-12-2010, 05:16 PM
Lakers
Magic
Mavs
Celtics
Nuggets

shep33
03-12-2010, 05:17 PM
I've been saying it for a while now about Orlando's depth, they are very very good. I gotta say that Cavs, Magic, and Lakers is a toss up.

Very slimly though

1) Lakers- Championship teams who repeat are usually worse record-wise, and even the Bulls got worse in the regular season over time. People gotta remember that they have a bullseye on their backs, teams will play harder against them then most other teams, really for 2 reasons:

1)defending champs
2)They're the Lakers- and you either love em or hate em

2) Magic- Very deep, very much improved defensively. Everything is on VC though, he plays good they win the east, he plays good for 3 outta 7 they lose to the Cavs

3) Cavs- I can't put them as number 1 b/c they did this last year. I gotta see it in the playoffs, and realistically they need a series to go 6-7 in the 1st or 2nd round, just to get them use to the pressure. Really a lot depends on whether Shaq or D12 get into foul trouble, whichever one gets into trouble early can really set the tone of the game. Wildcard is Jamison, he has to stay healthy to give them offensive punch, and at the same time Varajao has to play lots, cause whenever he's on the floor the Cavs are better. Interesting to see how minutes are gonna be spread along the frontline for this team.

4) Nuggets- Very tough team, but if Kmart is out it makes life easier for the Lakers bigs who get pushed around by him. Very underrated player, yeah he take bad shots sometimes, but he plays D and gets boards, while giving the Nuggets attitude. The team in the west that could most likely knock off the Lakers.

5) Mavs- They're good, very good, I know they're on a 13 game streak and it will grow, but a lot of their games are very close against bad teams, and i mean a lot. Again gotta see them in the playoffs, and them vs Nuggets or Lakers will be epic only if Dallas can show toughness, cause Denver is gonna try to get into their heads, I can't say how good this team is now cause we really don't know enough about them yet. 13 game streak will only get larger, but still we gotta see them in the postseason at least round 1 and 2 to make a solid evaluation of this team.

Bashna
03-12-2010, 05:20 PM
1 lakers

2 mavericks

3 magic

4 nuggets

5 cavs

lol!

bchissie
03-12-2010, 05:29 PM
Lakers - Most complete team + Kobe

Cavs - Lebron James

Nuggets - Tough team with great leadership (Billups and Melo)

Mavericks - Great starting 5 and great veterans (Nowitzki, Kidd, Terry) but too shallow in the front court depth

Magic - Good defensively, but I dont know if their offense can be consistant enough to win it all.

*Sleeper team: Hawks

Lakersfan2483
03-12-2010, 05:39 PM
1. Lakers (defending champs)
2. Cavs (No excuses fo Lebron and co. this year, they have the best record and a deep team. They are going to get Big Z and received Jamison for nothing.)
3. Magic (I am picking them to represent the East again and pull an upset over Cleveland)
4. Denver
5. Boston/Dallas

JDMVP
03-12-2010, 05:49 PM
1. LAKERS
Watever they say, u still have to admit that it will be VERY HARD to beat this team 4
times in a playoff series
2. MAGIC
Well if VC plays like crazy in the playoffs i think they have a good chance of beating
the cavs it all depends on VC in my opinion
3. NUGGETS
DEFENSE, Melo and Chauncey Billups
anyone who has watched the Nuggets all season long knows what im talking about
4. CAVS
Will Shaq play or not??? if yes, how fast can he adjust
I just don't feel it with them, everything is going well for them no question but it was
the same thing as last year
5. MAVS
Playing very good basketball right now but anyone who has watched basketball for a
long time knows that this team will always be Great in the season but come playoff
time it just disappears

CBCable
03-12-2010, 05:52 PM
5. MAVS
Playing very good basketball right now but anyone who has watched basketball for a
long time knows that this team will always be Great in the season but come playoff
time it just disappears

it's not 2006.

kobebabe
03-12-2010, 06:26 PM
In Order:

Mavs
Lakers
Cavs
Nuggets
Magic

It was tough outside Mavericks. 2-5 is definitely interchangeable.

you must be seriously sick to think Mavs can win it all this yr!!!

BaustinSali08
03-12-2010, 06:30 PM
1. Magic
2. Lakers
3. Cavs
4. Mavs
5. Nuggets

kobebabe
03-12-2010, 06:38 PM
I've been saying it for a while now about Orlando's depth, they are very very good. I gotta say that Cavs, Magic, and Lakers is a toss up.

Very slimly though

1) Lakers- Championship teams who repeat are usually worse record-wise, and even the Bulls got worse in the regular season over time. People gotta remember that they have a bullseye on their backs, teams will play harder against them then most other teams, really for 2 reasons:

1)defending champs
2)They're the Lakers- and you either love em or hate em

2) Magic- Very deep, very much improved defensively. Everything is on VC though, he plays good they win the east, he plays good for 3 outta 7 they lose to the Cavs

3) Cavs- I can't put them as number 1 b/c they did this last year. I gotta see it in the playoffs, and realistically they need a series to go 6-7 in the 1st or 2nd round, just to get them use to the pressure. Really a lot depends on whether Shaq or D12 get into foul trouble, whichever one gets into trouble early can really set the tone of the game. Wildcard is Jamison, he has to stay healthy to give them offensive punch, and at the same time Varajao has to play lots, cause whenever he's on the floor the Cavs are better. Interesting to see how minutes are gonna be spread along the frontline for this team.

4) Nuggets- Very tough team, but if Kmart is out it makes life easier for the Lakers bigs who get pushed around by him. Very underrated player, yeah he take bad shots sometimes, but he plays D and gets boards, while giving the Nuggets attitude. The team in the west that could most likely knock off the Lakers.

5) Mavs- They're good, very good, I know they're on a 13 game streak and it will grow, but a lot of their games are very close against bad teams, and i mean a lot. Again gotta see them in the playoffs, and them vs Nuggets or Lakers will be epic only if Dallas can show toughness, cause Denver is gonna try to get into their heads, I can't say how good this team is now cause we really don't know enough about them yet. 13 game streak will only get larger, but still we gotta see them in the postseason at least round 1 and 2 to make a solid evaluation of this team.

love the analysis. Totally buy into it

kobebabe
03-12-2010, 06:42 PM
1. Lakers

2. Cavs

3. Magic

4. Nuggets

5. Celtics- Do not underestimate the heart of a champion. Do not discount them yet. If KG can put it together, they can surprise us.

Couldn't put Mavs in the list yet although they are a really good team. Will need to watch them more to really rate them

kArSoN RyDaH
03-12-2010, 09:30 PM
lakers, magic, cavs, dallas, denver