PDA

View Full Version : With no changes to personnel, are the Houston Rockets title contenders next season

JordansBulls
03-11-2010, 04:28 PM
With no changes to personnel, are the Houston Rockets title contenders next season?

Basically getting a healthy Yao Ming back and then having a healthy roster.

I am assumming this would be the starting lineup:

PG Brooks
SG Martin
SF Ariza
PF Scola
C Yao

RocketsRule
03-11-2010, 04:30 PM
Assuming they have the chemistry together I think they could make a run at a title. They wouldn't be on the Lakers level though, more like the Mavericks/Nuggets.

AI4MVP
03-11-2010, 04:34 PM
yes. definetly.

Chronz
03-11-2010, 04:41 PM
If Yao came back healthy then absolutely, they would be the 2nd seed.

Tony_Starks
03-11-2010, 04:42 PM
Yes sir!!!! Not even a Rockets fan but I have to admire the moves they've made during 3 + years of injuries. I have to say they have been the best managed team the last couple of years. Next year they are going to be a PROBLEM!

Raph12
03-11-2010, 04:45 PM
Depends how Yao bounces back, if they pick up someone like Rudy Gay in free agency, then definitely.

PG - Brooks
SG - Martin
SF - Gay
PF - Scola
C - Yao
6th - Ariza
Bench - Battier, etc...

Now that's a pretty sweet looking lineup.

29$JerZ
03-11-2010, 04:46 PM
If they resign Scola and Yao stays healthy absolutely.

clehmun
03-11-2010, 04:48 PM
Depends how Yao bounces back, if they pick up someone like Rudy Gay in free agency, then definitely.

PG - Brooks
SG - Martin
SF - Gay
PF - Scola
C - Yao
6th - Ariza
Bench - Battier, etc...

it says without changes to personnel.

i think it depends on what you consider title contenders. i think they'll still be behind lakers, nuggets, and mavs in the west. and orlando, cavs in the east. maybe boston (depending on how they play in the playoffs this year).

ChongInc.
03-11-2010, 04:50 PM
If they add a defensive minded centre.

TheKing23
03-11-2010, 04:50 PM
That is a beast starting lineup.

They have a great combination of offense, defense, shooting and hustle.

They have great perimeter scorers in Martin/Brooks/Ariza, two good mid range shooting big men in Scola and Yao, a PG who can get everyone involved and prove troublesome with his speed. Battier and Ariza are great perimeter defenders.

Scola and Jeffries are great post defenders, Yao is a good shot blocker. Yao and Scola are both good rebounders. They have a solid bench with Lowry, Budinger, Jeffries, Hill and Hayes. They have everything you need to make a run at a title.

On paper they are definite contenders. I just really hope Yao comes back from injury and is as good as before.

Purple&Gold24
03-11-2010, 04:51 PM
Yeah, but would they have a good enough bench.

Sadds The Gr8
03-11-2010, 05:03 PM

PG - Brooks
SG - Martin
SF - Gay
PF - Scola
C - Yao
6th - Ariza
Bench - Battier, etc...

No way a team with Brooks, Martin, Gay, Ariza, and Yao would co-exist...especially with Brooks being score 1st pg.

Swashcuff
03-11-2010, 05:10 PM
Without out a doubt. The could possibly even take the 1st seed provided Yao plays like the Yao we know. It will be the first time in like forever where the Spurs will be the 3rd best team in Texas.

JermanJaysFan
03-11-2010, 05:13 PM
With no changes to personnel, are the Houston Rockets title contenders next season?

Basically getting a healthy Yao Ming back and then having a healthy roster.

I am assumming this would be the starting lineup:

PG Brooks
SG Martin
SF Ariza
PF Scola
C Yao
Certainly. Although, personally, I'd start Battier at the 3 and bring Ariza off the bench. They have enough scoring, especially on the perimeter, in that starting five. Ariza would be a nice spark off the bench, and I think Battier rounds out the starting five better.

Big Quett
03-11-2010, 05:14 PM
That is a beast starting lineup.

They have a great combination of offense, defense, shooting and hustle.

They have great perimeter scorers in Martin/Brooks/Ariza, two good mid range shooting big men in Scola and Yao, a PG who can get everyone involved and prove troublesome with his speed. Battier and Ariza are great perimeter defenders.

Scola and Jeffries are great post defenders, Yao is a good shot blocker. Yao and Scola are both good rebounders. They have a solid bench with Lowry, Budinger, Jeffries, Hill and Hayes. They have everything you need to make a run at a title.

On paper they are definite contenders. I just really hope Yao comes back from injury and is as good as before.

Are you serious? He is playing like garbage this year. Shoots 38% from the field and takes six 3's a game despite only shooting 32%. He went from underrated with the Lakers to being overrated now. he is a bench player and this year proved it.

Average at best.
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?playerId=2426

ChiSox219
03-11-2010, 05:16 PM
Yes.

They are gonna kill teams with Yao-Martin. Think about it, both those guys draw crazy amount of fouls and shoot over 85% from the line. There is no better pair of players that are better when they are in the bonus.

The question is, who starts at SF, Ariza or Battier? Whoever doesn't start combined with Lowry and Hayes gives you a fantastic 8 man rotation. If they stay healthy they are a top tier team.

jimbobjarree
03-11-2010, 05:16 PM
I think if you replace Brooks with a more experienced pass first point guard that doesnt have a 1.5 assists turnover ratio or whatever Brooks has, then they are up there with the Lakers if they stay healthy. As of now, I doubt it, that team is just gunna shoot way too many jump shots to win it all.

heathonater
03-11-2010, 05:17 PM
if yao comes back healthy, then they will be much better. but they need to add another player to be a title contender. if they got someone like rudy gay, then they could contend for a title.

jimbobjarree
03-11-2010, 05:20 PM
if yao comes back healthy, then they will be much better. but they need to add another player to be a title contender. if they got someone like rudy gay, then they could contend for a title.

Houston are at the cap in the summer (presuming Yao and Jeffries opt in) so they will only have the MLE to make additions making the signing of Gay very unlikely

Swashcuff
03-11-2010, 05:21 PM
Yes.

They are gonna kill teams with Yao-Martin. Think about it, both those guys draw crazy amount of fouls and shoot over 85% from the line. There is no better pair of players that are better when they are in the bonus.

The question is, who starts at SF, Ariza or Battier? Whoever doesn't start combined with Lowry and Hayes gives you a fantastic 8 man rotation. If they stay healthy they are a top tier team.

I'd start Shane. From looking at the games I saw this year he is really playing very good. It would be too much offence to share among the starters if Ariza starts. His energy off the bench will really be a better asset to the team.