PDA

View Full Version : Good or bad thing?

BlondeBomber41
03-11-2010, 02:40 PM
One thing I have noticed about the NBA in comparison to the other big leagues (NFL, MLB, NHL) is that in the NBA a team that isn't considered a contender going into the season never actually contends, much less wins a NBA Title.

You can look at the NFL and see multiple teams that weren't given a prayer coming into the season or barely snuck into the playoffs go on long playoff runs and sometimes even make or win the Super Bowl. Examples are the Arizona Cardinals last year, The Pittsburgh Steelers a couple years ago when they snuck in as the 6th seed, and the Jets this year. It happens practically every year.

In MLB every year there are teams like the Detroit Lions a couple years ago, Arizona Diamondbacks or Florida Marlins who go into the season as teams projected to finish in the bottom of their league that out of nowhere become good, and sometimes so good they ride it to a World Series Victory.

In the NHL teams frequently win playoff series and go deep into the playoffs as a lower seed. The one team that comes to mind immidiately is a couple years ago when the Anaheim Mighty Ducks rode Jean Sebastien Giguere all the way to the Finals as a #8 seed, after sweeping the top seeded Red Wings.

In the NBA you can go into the season knowing who will contend almost always. There is always a list of definent contenders and a few teams that could possibly contend, but you can always pretty much narrow it down to 5-8 teams before the season with no chance of anyone else actually truely contending.

So the question is, do you look at this as a good thing or a bad thing and why?

VivaLaShark
03-11-2010, 02:48 PM
Well I think you are right and wrong...

A lot of the other sports have a lot of pure athelitcism and skill involved, but I also believe there is also a whole hell of a lot of luck involved.

In Hockey a team has players that shoot well but a lot of the time the shot going in is luck. That is why the goal is to get a large quantity of shots on goal because most real goals are rebounds or the goaly not getting to it on time.

In football its the same, you try and run and run and run to get one opening that can break the game wide open.

In baseball there is no hitting homeruns on command. You have to be good at hitting, you may be a great HR hitter, but you can't tell yourself I am going to hit a homerun NOW.

In the NBA players like Kobe and LeBron can almost score on command. There is a lot less luck involved in scoring than there is skill. Not to degrade the other sports. So you know year after year who will put up numbers and who won't. The factors involved are a lot less up in the air.

BlondeBomber41
03-11-2010, 02:50 PM
^ So exactly how am I wrong? I didnt say anything as to why it was like this, I just said it was.