PDA

View Full Version : Will we see any major upsets this season in the playoffs?

JordansBulls
03-11-2010, 01:54 PM
Will we see any major upsets this season in the playoffs?

In 2009 - there weren't many upsets in the playoffs. Really the only one that was a big one was Orlando over Cleveland.
That was an upset because Cleveland had the best record in the league and one of the best home records ever and were predicted to win by every analyst over Orlando since Orlando was missing it's star PG.

Edit: Dallas over San Antonio last year as well.

In 2008 - There really wasn't any major upset either. Rockets lost to Utah and Hornets to San Antonio but those teams were roughly equal.

In 2007 - The big upset that season was Golden State over Dallas but also Cleveland over Detroit

In 2006 - The upset this season was Miami over Detroit and Dallas

So in recent years there haven't been many upsets.

Will this be a year where there are more upsets in the playoffs?

Like will Charlotte or Miami be able to upset someone in the East? Would Portland or San Antonio be able to upset someone out West?

Clutch6
03-11-2010, 02:09 PM
The bucks if they get a 4 or 5, they could win. Although they would be high like that, they are still the bucks and arent really that impressive. Their defense is great and Skiles is gettin some votes for COY for sure.

GoatMilk
03-11-2010, 02:12 PM
no

bigsams50
03-11-2010, 02:34 PM
I think if we can move up enough and play the Hawks that we could upset them

TheKing23
03-11-2010, 02:38 PM
The Magic over the Cavs wasn't... The Magic were a better team on paper and they won 59 games that season. That's not an upset.

The Warriors taking the Mavs out was an upset. A 48 win team taking out a 67 win team in the first round is the definition of an upset.

Lakers4ItAll
03-11-2010, 02:53 PM
OKC will upset someone in the 1st round

BaustinSali08
03-11-2010, 02:55 PM
What about the Spurs in the Lakers? If the Spurs fall to 8 and play the Lakers, with Tony Parker, I think it will be a great matchup; however, I don't see them pulling the upset, but there is always that possibility.

AI4MVP
03-11-2010, 03:01 PM
bucks at 5 over the hawks at 4 is a possibility

Lakers4ItAll
03-11-2010, 03:04 PM

Not a chance

JordansBulls
03-11-2010, 03:06 PM
The Magic over the Cavs wasn't... The Magic were a better team on paper and they won 59 games that season. That's not an upset.

The Warriors taking the Mavs out was an upset. A 48 win team taking out a 67 win team in the first round is the definition of an upset.

Magic won 59 games is true, but the Cavs won 66 games and history tells us that teams that win 65+ games wins the title. 2 exceptions before last year. Warriors over Mavs and also Knicks in 1973 over Celtics, however the Celtics had injuries to it's top player. Cavs had no injuries last year while the team that beat them did.

philly allstar
03-11-2010, 03:14 PM
charlotte will upset cleveland if they play them

Raidaz4Life
03-11-2010, 03:16 PM
The Lakers if they don't start turning things around

lavilevi23
03-11-2010, 03:27 PM
Miami could beat Orlando since they have no answer to Wade. The Heat are 2-1 this season vs Magic.

magichatnumber9
03-11-2010, 03:29 PM
Beating Boston in the first round is not upset. Period.

mikantsass
03-11-2010, 03:30 PM
I think the Lakers can be upset, not in the 1st round but against either the Jazz, Nuggets or Mavericks.

I also think Boston is an upset candidate depending on who they play, and also the Cavs will not make the finals so that would be an upset maybe in the ECF

Plenty of possibilities for upsets this yr

BOSTON617
03-11-2010, 03:35 PM
i feel that the plays off are for who even is the hungriest i think everyone is equally qualified this year and anyone can beat anyone i think the palyoffs this year will be exciting and prob the best in a while im going to say denver upset lakers if lakers are in first tho

JayW_1023
03-11-2010, 03:40 PM
Never count out a team with a healthy Duncan, Parker and Ginobili (Manu has been on fire lately). Still it's all one big IF.

thescore53
03-11-2010, 03:43 PM

gs won 41 that year

drama1386
03-11-2010, 03:56 PM

This.

JasonJohnHorn
03-11-2010, 03:59 PM
Magic won 59 games is true, but the Cavs won 66 games and history tells us that teams that win 65+ games wins the title. 2 exceptions before last year. Warriors over Mavs and also Knicks in 1973 over Celtics, however the Celtics had injuries to it's top player. Cavs had no injuries last year while the team that beat them did.

I got your back on this one JB. Orlando was an upset. They played great in the regular season, but almost got their @$$3$ handed to them by the sixers, then by the Garnett-less Celtics and I don't know anybody on the planet who didn't live in Orlando that picked the Magic to win that series. In fact I remember a lot of guys wondering if the Magic could even win a game in the series and many suggest the Cavs would enter the finals undefeated in the playoffs.

That was a huge upset, even if only because the Magic were underrated.

JasonJohnHorn
03-11-2010, 04:04 PM
If the Bobcats face the Cavs... they seem to have the Cavs' number this year for some reason. That is the glaringly obviousl potential upset (several others have been wise enough to mention it as a possible Mavs-Warriors match-up and I apologize for not remembering all your names, but you know who you are).

The Cavs also have room to get upset by the Hawks if they draw them (despite the Hawks dismal performance against the Cavs last season). And the Spurs are not in sync at all right now but they have one of the greatest players in the history of the NBA on their team and a solid support cast, so if McDeyss can help fill that gap at center the Spurs could easily find themselves in teh finals regardless of who they play (though I wouldn't personally put money on them beating the Lakers, I still wouldn't be surprised to see it happen).

There are some great teams this year, some of them are underachieving, and some mid-level teams match up well against the contenders. Depending on how the seeding falls, I think we will be in for soem great first round match-ups, even the 8-1 seeds.

alencp3
03-11-2010, 05:55 PM
OKC will upset someone in the 1st round

Finally I agree with Lakers fan:rolleyes:

jimbobjarree
03-11-2010, 05:58 PM
dont the Blazers always trouble the Lakers? Will be a very interesting first round match up. I think the Spurs could knock off anyone other than the Lakers still as well, they're the only teams in the western 5-8 that could upset the homecourt teams IMO

The Jokemaker
03-11-2010, 06:01 PM
I think the OKC can pull an upset and perhaps even the Grizzlies if they are able to get into the playoffs. Charlotte is a contender because they play tight games but i dont know if they could beat Cleveland or Orlando in 7 games. I would say Dallas or Denver would be an upset favorite to win it all because most of the teams people are talking about are LA, Cleveland, Orlando. I could see Denver or Dallas hoisting up the Finals trophy when it's all said and done.

td0tsfinest
03-11-2010, 06:09 PM
The way the Celtics have been playing, I wouldn't be surprised to see them get bumped out in the first round.

In the West, the only thing I would consider a major upset is the Lakers losing to whoever places 8th.

ChiSox219
03-17-2010, 11:21 PM
If Dallas faces Phoenix or OKC in the first round they are getting upset.

ko8e24
03-18-2010, 12:12 AM
I got your back on this one JB. Orlando was an upset. They played great in the regular season, but almost got their @$$3$ handed to them by the sixers, then by the Garnett-less Celtics and I don't know anybody on the planet who didn't live in Orlando that picked the Magic to win that series. In fact I remember a lot of guys wondering if the Magic could even win a game in the series and many suggest the Cavs would enter the finals undefeated in the playoffs.

That was a huge upset, even if only because the Magic were underrated.

This, the Cavs were an undefeated 8-0 sweeping Detroit and Atlanta and blowing them out, winning all of those games by double digits, LeBron the league mvp was on a roll and was getting praises from Jerry West as "having surpassed Kobe as a player", best record, HCA, basically lost 1 home game the entire regular season (plz that loss to the sixers did not count).

Orlando lost home court advantage in the 1st rd from the get-go when they lost game 1 to philly, were taken to 7 games with a Celtics team who's main scoring threat down low was Glen Davis, and a team who didn't even have their main starting point guard before that shoulder injury in Jameer Nelson.