PDA

View Full Version : Should the NBA institute a Coach's challenge Rule like the NFL

MagicDojo
03-11-2010, 11:22 AM
Sunday in the Laker/Magic game Jeff VanGundy proposed a rule change adding a 7th foul as a way to compensate for terrible ref calls. I propose instead a way to get a terrible call reversed during the game.
Institute a Coach's challange like the NFL has. A limited number of challenges per coach like 1 per Half or game and not in last 2 mins and it costs you a full time out if you are wrong.

What do you guys think? Should the NBA consider this? If no then WHY?

Tribe
03-11-2010, 11:28 AM
I would say NO to the coach's challenge but circumstantial video replay wouldnt be bad...NBA refereeing has been terrible this year

masalex1205
03-11-2010, 11:43 AM
^agreed

heatbb
03-11-2010, 11:48 AM
No, but replays should be used more.
In Europe, we manage to play w 5 fouls and everyone gets on well and our refs are a piece of s compared to NBA's.

MagicDojo
03-11-2010, 11:57 AM
I would say NO to the coach's challenge but circumstantial video replay wouldnt be bad...NBA refereeing has been terrible this year

A challenge is a circumstantial video replay...

Corey
03-11-2010, 12:13 PM
Games are already long enough with TV time outs and the amount of fouls being called.

Allowing challenges can kill a game's pace. Very easily.

magicdouglas
03-11-2010, 12:41 PM
Think back to a game when your team was on the bad end of a game changing terrible call. Would't you have wanted the ability to challenge that call? I understand the view of the game is long enough but I prefer it called correct.

VivaLaShark
03-11-2010, 01:03 PM
No. This is why... Basketball is a game of momentum unlike any other game, other than maybe Hockey. If you slow the game down for a 1 minute maybe 2 minute replay you are going to ruin the momentum effect in a game.

Most bad calls in the NBA are the "non calls" the ones the refs don't call. So a coach is going to call for the challenge, so the team can get a call? That is like calling a time out when you team doesn't have the ball to slow down the other team or like trying to get your team a couple of free throws when you shouldn't have. Or you have a coach challenging to take away foul calls to stop free throw attempts or ice a players momentum during a free throw attempt.

NBA refs already have the power to overturn eachother. I feel like that should be a power that utilized more often. The NBA already doesn't call fouls that should be fouls for the sake of not slowing down the games and allowing the games to become a little more physical.

Sadds The Gr8
03-11-2010, 01:23 PM
Games are already long enough with TV time outs and the amount of fouls being called.

this.

JasonJohnHorn
03-11-2010, 01:26 PM
I'm down with that. Maybe give them two challenges a game, and if the officials go their way then it doesn't count as a challenged use, but I wouldnt want to see them lose a time out for it. time outs are too valuable.

I think ideally though, officials should have to go to a replay for any call they don't all agree on. Officiating is one of the hardest parts of the game for a fan watch, calls can make or break a game and bad calls have cost more than one team important games and any improvement would help.

Hustla23
03-11-2010, 01:32 PM
I don't understand how one challenge per half would "kill" the pace of the game.

NBA games are already **** boring and slow as it is considering all the ******** fouls that are called.

What the hell is a challenge per half gonna do ?

It would make more people happy since games wouldn't be decided by that one controversial call or no call.

VivaLaShark
03-11-2010, 01:39 PM
Officiating is not about making people happy. It is about making sure players don't get murdered or hurt. Fouls are meant for hard contact or when one player tries to move into the opposing players space by force.

Clutch6
03-11-2010, 01:39 PM
If they did it, it would have to have strict rules, like last two min. of Halves or something.

Niro
03-11-2010, 01:42 PM
No. This is why... Basketball is a game of momentum unlike any other game, other than maybe Hockey. If you slow the game down for a 1 minute maybe 2 minute replay you are going to ruin the momentum effect in a game.

Most bad calls in the NBA are the "non calls" the ones the refs don't call. So a coach is going to call for the challenge, so the team can get a call? That is like calling a time out when you team doesn't have the ball to slow down the other team or like trying to get your team a couple of free throws when you shouldn't have. Or you have a coach challenging to take away foul calls to stop free throw attempts or ice a players momentum during a free throw attempt.

NBA refs already have the power to overturn eachother. I feel like that should be a power that utilized more often. The NBA already doesn't call fouls that should be fouls for the sake of not slowing down the games and allowing the games to become a little more physical.

good point agree

VivaLaShark
03-11-2010, 01:43 PM
Per NBA rules...

Section I--Types
a. A player shall not hold, push, charge into, impede the progress of an oppo-nent by extending a hand, forearm, leg or knee or by bending the body into a posi-tion that is not normal. Contact that results in the re-routing of an opponent is a foul which must be called immediately.
b. Contact initiated by the defensive player guarding a player with the ball is not legal. This contact includes, but is not limited to, forearm, hands, or body check.

In this case, most calls refs make go by these guidelines. there is rarely a foul call where a guy gets murdered where he doesn't get it. This is why DRose doesn't get foul calls like other players who drive, because he goes around them in the air instead of through them like most players. His path isn't changed via force, but by choice.

king4day
03-11-2010, 01:48 PM
I say one per half. If u lose your first half challenge, then you don't get a second half one.

magicdouglas
03-11-2010, 01:55 PM
I don't understand how one challenge per half would "kill" the pace of the game.

NBA games are already **** boring and slow as it is considering all the ******** fouls that are called.

What the hell is a challenge per half gonna do ?

It would make more people happy since games wouldn't be decided by that one controversial call or no call.

It's funny how these boards light up like Vegas when one of those calls happens, especially if it changes the game. So add the challenge and get it right. How long would it really take 1min? 2 max? If thats all to get right do it!

VivaLaShark
03-11-2010, 02:08 PM

These are all reasons.... And Per NBA rules on foul calls your "controversial calls" are usually controversial to fans and players, but not the rules.

MagicDojo
03-11-2010, 05:03 PM
[/B]

It's funny how these boards light up like Vegas when one of those calls happens, especially if it changes the game. So add the challenge and get it right. How long would it really take 1min? 2 max? If thats all to get right do it!

It would take 2 minutes max and I think the refs may confer and overrule each other more often if they knew a challenge might come. example challenge: Lakers Magic game last Sunday the refs took away two points on a Pitrus alley oop. Obviously a bad call on review.

it also might cut down on coaches and players arguing calls.
If a coach wants to protest a call then put your money where your mouth is coach, bet a time out on it.

29$JerZ
03-11-2010, 05:03 PM
Why not just get good refs?

Problem solved.

VivaLaShark
03-11-2010, 05:17 PM
I gave a short essay on why it is a terrible idea. And it is a terrible idea.

td0tsfinest
03-11-2010, 05:25 PM

I agree.

Allowing Coaches to challenge plays and doing constant video replays are just going to slow down the game and bore a lot of people. Basketball is meant to be a fast paced game, so lets keep it that way.

Ezekial
03-11-2010, 05:34 PM
No.
You can't challenge penalties in the NFL, why would you be able to challenge fouls in NBA. They already do some sort of "review". ie buzzer beaters, foot on line etc. At least in the NBA now they can take points off if the ref was wrong.
In the NFL, back before challenges (and even now when a team has none left) the play goes as called on the field by the refs. ie. Ed Hockilee(sp?)

Pierzynski4Prez
03-11-2010, 05:41 PM
In the NFL you can't challenge a penalty. So in the NBA, you shouldn't be able to challenge a foul call or non-foul call. They should do reviews of whether a foot was on the line for a 3pt or out of bounds (they already do with 3s) and MAYBE on a play of who last touched a ball going out of bounds. These shouldn't be at the coaches discretion, just more of a quick ref review of things. Maybe they just put on a headset and talk to someone working the cameras to speed it up.

magicdouglas
03-11-2010, 07:31 PM
Why not just get good refs?

Problem solved.

lol, isn't that an oxymoron?

magicdouglas
03-11-2010, 07:32 PM
It would take 2 minutes max and I think the refs may confer and overrule each other more often if they knew a challenge might come. example challenge: Lakers Magic game last Sunday the refs took away two points on a Pitrus alley oop. Obviously a bad call on review.

it also might cut down on coaches and players arguing calls.
If a coach wants to protest a call then put your money where your mouth is coach, bet a time out on it.

That would be epic!

ldc62
03-11-2010, 07:37 PM
No. Replays should be used more [a little bit more]. The Challenge Rule would just allow Coaches to use it as a timeout.

Raph12
03-11-2010, 07:42 PM
With all the calls the ref blows (messes up) in a game, it would take too long... So no.