PDA

View Full Version : Is the Celtics Bench Now Good Enough to Get Them Back to the Finals?

Tony_Starks
03-10-2010, 02:02 PM
The two moves they made weren't blockbusters: bringing in Nate and recently Finley, but if you've been noticing their bench is looking a lot better.

Nate is instant offense and Finley can still defend and stretch the floor in the James Posey role. Not to mention that Rasheed will go back to the bench come playoff time when the team's completely healthy. So that gives you a bench of Nate, T Allen, Finley, Big Baby and Rasheed.

Is that enough to get past ATL, Orlando, Cleveland?

Sadds The Gr8
03-10-2010, 02:11 PM
I think they're bench is good enough. It all comes down to the production of the Big 3 (mainly KG and Pierce). Ray Allen is someone who is on or off. KG is just playing like a bum nowdays, and if he doesn't step up soon or in the playoffs, then the Celtics have no chance. Pierce is also struggling with his shot lately, but I think he will get it back and be fine for the playoffs. Also, Rasheed needs to play at a high level as well if they were to stand a chance against the top teams. To answer your question, I think they can still take ATL, but in a long 6 or 7 gm series. But I think Orlando and Cleveland will beat them in 6.

chad78
03-10-2010, 02:12 PM
No not even close, they cant hang with orlando or cleveland anymore. i think the eastarn finals are pretty much set with cleveland and orlando, and boy is it going to be a good one.

surf and turf
03-10-2010, 02:15 PM
The two moves they made weren't blockbusters: bringing in Nate and recently Finley, but if you've been noticing their bench is looking a lot better.

Nate is instant offense and Finley can still defend and stretch the floor in the James Posey role. Not to mention that Rasheed will go back to the bench come playoff time when the team's completely healthy. So that gives you a bench of Nate, T Allen, Finley, Big Baby and Rasheed.

Is that enough to get past ATL, Orlando, Cleveland?

The bench is very good. But the defense as a whole is playing terrible. Rasheed is worthless. Garnett does not seem to have the same fire since he won that ring and Pierce is banged up . The bench may be the thing that does it for them this year. In my opinion , the roster does not match the point gaurd very well. He is constantly slowing down and waiting for them. Thats probably why they got Nate and Finely.

BOSTON617
03-10-2010, 02:15 PM
orlando isnt really to hard to deal with for the celts but a healthty cle is scary

Tony_Starks
03-10-2010, 02:18 PM
I think they're bench is good enough. It all comes down to the production of the Big 3 (mainly KG and Pierce). Ray Allen is someone who is on or off. KG is just playing like a bum nowdays, and if he doesn't step up soon or in the playoffs, then the Celtics have no chance. Pierce is also struggling with his shot lately, but I think he will get it back and be fine for the playoffs. Also, Rasheed needs to play at a high level as well if they were to stand a chance against the top teams. To answer your question, I think they can still take ATL, but in a long 6 or 7 gm series. But I think Orlando and Cleveland will beat them in 6.

It's gonna be a close call. I think the reason the big 3's production is down all goes back to the bench. Remember in their championship run they had Posey, PJ Brown, and even Cassell coming off the bench. Then last year he maxed out the starters minutes, burning them out.

The reason I think they might make it is because with this bench Doc should be able to scale back his starters minutes from here to the playoffs. A healthy Celtics is still the team to beat in the east IMO.

JordansBulls
03-10-2010, 02:19 PM
It should be. I think they will be better in the playoffs. I want them to play Cleveland this year in the 2nd round though and the winner of that to play Orlando in the ECF.

macc
03-10-2010, 02:21 PM
orlando isnt really to hard to deal with for the celts but a healthty cle is scary

And you're basing that on the fact that the Magic kicked Boston out of the playoffs last year or on the fact that Orlando kicked the crap out of them this year? Please elaborate......

chad78
03-10-2010, 02:23 PM
Thats funny because last i checked they are 3 and 1 against boston this year.

BOSTON617
03-10-2010, 02:32 PM
And you're basing that on the fact that the Magic kicked Boston out of the playoffs last year or on the fact that Orlando kicked the crap out of them this year? Please elaborate......

they beat us ok im jsut answering my opinion who is the best player on the magic? dwight howard who defends him the best in the league ?? perkins i just feel like our team improved and they beat us when our team was injured we beat them when we were healthy and that doesnt matter the playoffs do

BOSTON617
03-10-2010, 02:34 PM
as someone who loves the nba i feel like the celtics are better then orl not cle but orl

AIMelo=KillaDUO
03-10-2010, 02:34 PM
and you're basing that on the fact that the magic kicked boston out of the playoffs last year or on the fact that orlando kicked the crap out of them this year? Please elaborate......

lol!!!!

theimortalone
03-10-2010, 02:37 PM
I said no. :shrug:

Sadds The Gr8
03-10-2010, 02:42 PM
It's gonna be a close call. I think the reason the big 3's production is down all goes back to the bench. Remember in their championship run they had Posey, PJ Brown, and even Cassell coming off the bench. Then last year he maxed out the starters minutes, burning them out.

The reason I think they might make it is because with this bench Doc should be able to scale back his starters minutes from here to the playoffs. A healthy Celtics is still the team to beat in the east IMO.

Yea but even so, the Big 3 was playing at a very high level that year. This year they aren't even close to that, ESPECIALLY KG. The bench may play well, but in the end if the Big 3 doesn't play at that high level, I don't think they stand a chance.

Tony_Starks
03-10-2010, 02:43 PM
It did take the Magic 7 games to beat a KG-less Celtics last year... thats something to keep in mind. The Celtics have improved playerwise and Orlando is at best about the same, possibly worse with Vince instead of Hedo.

macc
03-10-2010, 02:47 PM
they beat us ok im jsut answering my opinion who is the best player on the magic? dwight howard who defends him the best in the league ?? perkins i just feel like our team improved and they beat us when our team was injured we beat them when we were healthy and that doesnt matter the playoffs do

Granted we all have our opinion, but at times we have to take our homerness out of the equation. The way you said "Magic isn't hard to deal with" I mean it's like Orlando has had Boston's # for 2 years now. Injuries, no injuries ect. Yet you say they're not hard to deal with. Tell that to your team and players who haven't had a winning record against them in sometime.

You're making it sound like we only beat a injured Boston team.

1st game we won and we didn't have Nelson, yet Boston was fully healthy & had all their starters
2nd game we lost
3rd game we won and Boston was healthy and had all their starters
4th game we won and Boston was healthy and had all their starters

Look it up, then talk. Savy

BOSTON617
03-10-2010, 02:52 PM
bro a winning record doesnt matter we have not been healthy we dont have a winning record against a lot of teams and the teams we do have a winning record with is still a team to fear in the playoffs like your not making sense ur basing this years playoffs off of stats from last year and the season look at this for an ex red sox yankees every year the yankess beat the red sox in regular season they have the better record does that mean the yankees automatically win the playoffs

TheKing23
03-10-2010, 02:58 PM
They're two good moves that provide them with some needed depth, but they are still sorely lacking any youth. I'd still have them behind the Cavs and Magic in terms of depth.

If we look at the guys that'll get playing time in the shorten playoff rotations they still don't match up with the superior depth of the Cavs and Magic.

Cavaliers

Delonte West
Anderson Varejao
JJ Hickson
Zydrunas Ilgauskas (assuming he re-signs)
Leon Powe
Jamario Moon
Daniel Gibson

Magic

Mickael Pietrus
Ryan Anderson
Jason Williams
Marcin Gortat
Brandon Bass
JJ Redick

Celtics

Rasheed Wallace
Marquis Daniels
Nate Robinson
Glen Davis
Tony Allen
Michael Finley

J-Relo
03-10-2010, 02:59 PM
if you're coming with an argument that Orlando beat Kg less Boston only in 7, then i bring up that they only barely won series against bulls...

BOSTON617
03-10-2010, 03:01 PM
bro u beat us one time when we were healthy like kg injured whole season last year and the year before kg was injured im alost 100% sure we won the championship and u guys havnt won

macc
03-10-2010, 03:04 PM
bro a winning record doesnt matter we have not been healthy we dont have a winning record against a lot of teams and the teams we do have a winning record with is still a team to fear in the playoffs like your not making sense ur basing this years playoffs off of stats from last year and the season look at this for an ex red sox yankees every year the yankess beat the red sox in regular season they have the better record does that mean the yankees automatically win the playoffs

"bro" you said the Celtics were injured. I'm sayin when they played the Magic they had all their starters except the one game they didn't have Pierce yet that was the only game they won. So you can't throw out the injury card. My only statement to you was your arrogance of "Magic aren't hard to deal with" statement which makes no sense considering the Magic are the Eastern Conferance champs against your Bost team that is losing games to the Bucks and Nets. Think about what you're saying man.

BOSTON617
03-10-2010, 03:07 PM
look i really do not care a win is a win ok orl beat us orl is better will it make you ppl happy that a boston fan said orl is better in reg season but when it comes to playoffs and championship celts are better thats how i feel if we all agreed this site wouldnt be fun and if you look at the poll about 50 % think we can win championship that means 75% thinks we would make it to eastern confrence finals which means we must be better then orl or cle just using psd stats on ur ***** lol

macc
03-10-2010, 03:08 PM
bro u beat us one time when we were healthy like kg injured whole season last year and the year before kg was injured im alost 100% sure we won the championship and u guys havnt won

Besides injuries are part of the game. People seem to forget we beat boston without our "all star" pg in Nelson. We had a street player in Rafer Alston. How does this keep getting missed?

Besides as I said injuries are part of the game. Your players are in their mid 30's. You should expect injuries to happen. Thats why you have a 12 man roster, if one guy goes down you have two guys to take his place. I don't use injuries as an excuse. Part of the game man.

magichatnumber9
03-10-2010, 03:08 PM
As I see it the Big 2 is holding us back. Paul and Kevin seem to have there own clique and the bench, Rondo and Perkins all seem to have clung on to Ray. The Celtics offense should be running through Ray and Rondo and it hasn't because of stupid play calling. Teams have figured Perkins game and adjusted.

BOSTON617
03-10-2010, 03:09 PM
"bro" you said the Celtics were injured. I'm sayin when they played the Magic they had all their starters except the one game they didn't have Pierce yet that was the only game they won. So you can't throw out the injury card. My only statement to you was your arrogance of "Magic aren't hard to deal with" statement which makes no sense considering the Magic are the Eastern Conferance champs against your Bost team that is losing games to the Bucks and Nets. Think about what you're saying man.

and i answered what u wanted me to say we match up good against the magic easy said and doen with lol what do u want me to say that we suck:facepalm:

macc
03-10-2010, 03:10 PM
look i really do not care a win is a win ok orl beat us orl is better will it make you ppl happy that a boston fan said orl is better in reg season but when it comes to playoffs and championship celts are better thats how i feel if we all agreed this site wouldnt be fun and if you look at the poll about 50 % think we can win championship that means 75% thinks we would make it to eastern confrence finals which means we must be better then orl or cle just using psd stats on ur ***** lol

Once again, are you basing that off of the fact that Orlando kicked Boston out of the playoffs? Yet Boston is currently a better playoff team? I'm sorry I'm not tracking your reasoning here.

Tony_Starks
03-10-2010, 03:14 PM
As I see it the Big 2 is holding us back. Paul and Kevin seem to have there own clique and the bench, Rondo and Perkins all seem to have clung on to Ray. The Celtics offense should be running through Ray and Rondo and it hasn't because of stupid play calling. Teams have figured Perkins game and adjusted.

I don't know if I would say they figured out Perk, I think its more of him not getting all those wide open garbage points because Pierce and KG aren't getting doubled now.

You would rather see the offense run through Ray over Pierce? I always thought they were tougher when it goes through Pierce because he can post up or drive and kick to Ray or KG.

BOSTON617
03-10-2010, 03:39 PM
Once again, are you basing that off of the fact that Orlando kicked Boston out of the playoffs? Yet Boston is currently a better playoff team? I'm sorry I'm not tracking your reasoning here.

when you faced us last year playoff we did not have kg :facepalm: and we gave u a run for you money:confused: this year we are def a better team then last year lol the reg season does not matter the playoffs do we were nba champs when was your magic??? celts are still a great team and your def underestimating them

rondo > nelson
allen > carter
pierce > barnes
kg = lewis (i feel kg is a better defense of play so they are equal
perk < howard

bos bench > orl bench

iggypop123
03-10-2010, 04:11 PM
Besides injuries are part of the game. People seem to forget we beat boston without our "all star" pg in Nelson. We had a street player in Rafer Alston. How does this keep getting missed?

Besides as I said injuries are part of the game. Your players are in their mid 30's. You should expect injuries to happen. Thats why you have a 12 man roster, if one guy goes down you have two guys to take his place. I don't use injuries as an excuse. Part of the game man.

like kg he is nowhere close to an all star again. nelson isnt the 18 and 7 guy he was before.

masalex1205
03-10-2010, 04:29 PM
Bench doesn't matter if starters are old and injury prone

THATSALL
03-10-2010, 04:31 PM
No not even close, they cant hang with orlando or cleveland anymore. i think the eastarn finals are pretty much set with cleveland and orlando, and boy is it going to be a good one.

x100

sugarrayray
03-10-2010, 04:34 PM
There bench is horrible, they play out of sink and Wallace is one of the worst players in the league this year.

macc
03-10-2010, 05:05 PM
when you faced us last year playoff we did not have kg :facepalm: and we gave u a run for you money:confused: this year we are def a better team then last year lol the reg season does not matter the playoffs do we were nba champs when was your magic??? celts are still a great team and your def underestimating them

rondo > nelson
allen > carter
pierce > barnes
kg = lewis (i feel kg is a better defense of play so they are equal
perk < howard

bos bench > orl bench

Yes you didn't have KG. We didn't have Nelson, what's your point? We beat you with a backcourt of Courtny Lee and Rafer Alston. Now we have Jameer Nelson and Vince Carter, slight upgrade???

First off I have to laugh at your > <. Seriously that is the one the cheesiest ways to determine who has the better team. You have to account for chemistry, also you have to see how each player compliments the other. Did you just say Boston's bench is better than Orlandos? Thats outright laughable. See how many people agree with you on that one.

BOSTON617
03-10-2010, 05:09 PM
ok make a poll i dont care you obv do

avon_barksdale
03-10-2010, 05:17 PM
the bench is playin better than the starters

macc
03-10-2010, 05:25 PM
like kg he is nowhere close to an all star again. nelson isnt the 18 and 7 guy he was before.

Nelson was playing injured. I take it you haven't watched a Magic game lately now that Nelson has been healthy and is now in game shape.

Heres his last handful of games

@ Clippers 17pts 8 assists 5 rebounds
@ Lakers 25 pts 7 assists 9 rebounds
@ New Jersey 15 pts 8 assists 2 rebounds
@ Goldenstate 13 pts 4 assists 6 rebounds
@ Philadelphia 22 pts 10 assists 3 rebounds

Makes a big diffrence when you're fully healthy. Savy

Besides when you add Vince Carter, Bass, Barnes, Anderson..ect, it's obvious you're not going to have the same numbers as the year prior. Common sense tells you that. Saying hes not the same guy as last year is just simply ignorant. Its call being healthy.

sixer04fan
03-10-2010, 05:44 PM

Agreed. Boston is outta the picture completely in my opinion. I would even say Atlanta has surpassed them and is not looking back. No offense to the Boston fans in here but I wouldn't pick them to put any of those 3 teams. I could be proven wrong but I don't think I will be.

sixer04fan
03-10-2010, 05:46 PM
Nelson was playing injured. I take it you haven't watched a Magic game lately now that Nelson has been healthy and is now in game shape.

Heres his last handful of games

@ Clippers 17pts 8 assists 5 rebounds
@ Lakers 25 pts 7 assists 9 rebounds
@ New Jersey 15 pts 8 assists 2 rebounds
@ Goldenstate 13 pts 4 assists 6 rebounds
@ Philadelphia 22 pts 10 assists 3 rebounds

Makes a big diffrence when you're fully healthy. Savy

Besides when you add Vince Carter, Bass, Barnes, Anderson..ect, it's obvious you're not going to have the same numbers as the year prior. Common sense tells you that. Saying hes not the same guy as last year is just simply ignorant. Its call being healthy.

Agree with this too. Nelson is back healthy now and being just as effective as he was last year. Even if the stats eventually don't back it up (which they currently do), it's mainly because VC is taking shots and dribbles away from him, so he's playing a different role now.

Gibby23
03-10-2010, 05:49 PM
Boston is one and done. When KG's knee went out against the Jazz last year, that was it for this team. They are an average team on the way down. Next year they will be like a 5 or 6 seed in the east.

tredigs
03-10-2010, 05:55 PM
I personally think that the Magic beat Boston in 5-6, and the Cavs beat them in 5. Their bench has improved, but not nearly to the extent that they need to shore up the decline of their stars. Rondo's a special player tho', nice ray of hope for them.

On a side note, did anyone see Kendrick Perkins get absolutely manhandled last night by Bogut in the Bucks win over them? G'damn Bogut is a good player. Bogut had 25 and 17 with 4 blocks, and absolutely FACIALIZED Perkins on a dunk, which sent big baby flying about 20 yards backwards on his *** afterwards. I was more than a little embarrassed for him.

avrpatsfan
03-10-2010, 06:09 PM

Well, we took you guys to game 7 without KG. But I am scared of Orlando, Atlanta, and Cleveland. Any Celtic fan should agree.

Corey
03-10-2010, 06:12 PM
I'm more scared of Atlanta because of their athleticism. With the experience they have, they could upset the top 3 seeded teams (as of right now) pretty easily.

People are sleeping on them way too much.

Evolution23
03-11-2010, 12:40 AM
its crazy because Rondo has now become Celtics best player.. I think the Celtics will turn it up in the playoffs so don't sleep on them.

iggypop123
03-11-2010, 12:46 AM
coming from a lakers fan it sucks to say this but dont underestimate pierce and allen and their defense. the key to them might be if they just concede the reg season and their spot and just shut down kg for like 2 weeks. might be the best thing for his legs. for some reason they have the magic's number. matchups are weird but they work. perkins can have howard one on one, allen can guard carter, rondo can destroy nelson, but the key is the pf battle. kg when he was healthy would rape a guy like lewis on the post.

MrFastBreak
03-11-2010, 12:50 AM
Agreed. Boston is outta the picture completely in my opinion. I would even say Atlanta has surpassed them and is not looking back. No offense to the Boston fans in here but I wouldn't pick them to put any of those 3 teams. I could be proven wrong but I don't think I will be.

Theres no real predictor of a teams performance in the playoffs when your looking at the teams regular season performance, Bob Saget. Id be surprised in some measure if the C's put up a fight in the playoffs, but at the same time it would have been something Id halfway expected.

This team came out of the gates for real. They were playing absolutely out of their minds and at one point they were leading the league in Point Differential. And now theyve transformed into this team thats been hardly beating up on the lowly teams and is almost not capable of competing with the top teams. That can make anyone go from saying theyre title contenders to saying their window is closed.

How could you show flashes of being a great team and not make any noise in the playoffs? And at the same time, Im asking myself how could you go from greatness to mediocrity?

shep33
03-11-2010, 01:14 AM
I don't think so, first off Finley is nowhere near the role Posey played, I highly doubt finley is gonna shut down people like Kobe Bryant at age 37. 2nd their bench just shoots 3's, I mean for them to win they gotta score on the inside, something that nobody on this team does except for Perkins and Rondo, KG get a lot of his points off screen roll jumpers, but the problem with that is that you either make or miss and won't get any fouls on guys like D12 or Shaq. For them to have a shot KG has to step up, he has to average 18 and 10 for them to come close to the finals, and Pierce is banged up has to heal or else they have no shot, they're playing terrible lately. Ray is gonna be consistent, wow i bet they're glad they didn't trade him for Hinrich and Salmons, and everything has to go through Rondo.

shep33
03-11-2010, 01:19 AM
I'm more scared of Atlanta because of their athleticism. With the experience they have, they could upset the top 3 seeded teams (as of right now) pretty easily.

People are sleeping on them way too much.

Completely agree on Atlanta, cause Boston just can't keep up with them anymore. I picked the Celts to make the finals up until maybe a few weeks ago. KG isn't the same, Pierce looks like he's hurting, Sheed is just invisable at times, and the Finley signing i don't understand at all, there's a reason why an old Spurs team let him go. Defensively they aren't as good anymore, people aren't intimidated like they use to be. I don't think they can beat the Cavs anymore, cause LBJ is just gonna dominate them, nobody can stay with him on that team, and now if you bring help, he's got Jamison, Williams, Parker/West for 3, or an easy dump off to Shaq if a big helps. I think they stand a better chance against Orlando, but not Cleveland or Atlanta, and if they get pushed to 6-7 in the first round, they could be done early in the 2nd.

heathonater
03-11-2010, 01:28 AM
bostons chances of winnning the title arent good right now because this is not the same garnett from two years ago. although they have improved their bench, the only way they win the title is if garnett returns to his level of play in 2008, which i dont see happening.

JNA17
03-11-2010, 02:01 AM
they just lost by 20 to the grizzlies. What do you think?

DaaBoTownSox
03-11-2010, 02:31 AM
No, the bench sucks this year.

CowboysKB24
03-11-2010, 02:41 AM
Definitely two needed pick up. I said it before that if the Celtics didn't make a move they weren't making it to ECF.

Now with those two additions and if the Celtics are healthy, they definitely have a shot at making it back to the Finals. I still think the Magic are going to be really tough. I don't know what to think of the Cavs, they were suppose to win last year and flopped big time to the Magic. Playoffs are different than the regular season... experience matters and match ups.

Raph12
03-11-2010, 02:57 AM
Don't think they could beat Orlando or Cleveland in 7 games and by the looks of it, they'll probably have to beat both in order to advance to the Finals.

Mavrix
03-11-2010, 02:06 PM

Is that enough to get past ATL, Orlando, Cleveland?Don't forget Marquis Daniels....their bench is stacked with a mix of veterans and young high energy guys.

thedfactor
03-11-2010, 02:15 PM
The question should be if their starters are good enough. Right now...no

KG just isn't the same anymore and he was the catalyst, but hey he's played like over 41,000 minutes or something crazy like that. Catches up.

VivaLaShark
03-11-2010, 02:18 PM
As Stacy King would say they've got geezer legs... Ray Allen, Pierce, Finley and even KG are all geezer legs. I don't believe that any of them have the ability to play a 7 game series at the highest level, against the best teams in the league any more.