PDA

View Full Version : Which NBA Team Has The Worst Future?

R_O_W_E
03-09-2010, 03:59 PM
Indiana Pacers, Detroit Pistons, or Philadelphia 76ers?

Indiana Pacers:

They have built their team around Danny Granger but Granger isn't a #1 option or a guy who can carry a team into the Playoffs. They have 2 high priced mediocre role players in Ford & Dunleavy. They've used Lottery Picks on players who haven't really emerged as "cornerstones" for the future of their Franchise in terms of Rush, Hibbert, and Hansbrough.

They seem to be stuck in No Man's Land in terms of a team that wont be under the Salary Cap until the 2011/2012 season, but would still have to overpay to get a top Free Agent to sign there. They could use a guy like John Wall to help bring fans back to Pacers games.

Detroit Pistons:

Pistons traded away Chauncey Billups in hopes of freeing up money to sign Free Agents last year and they have failed horribly so far while being 22-41 for a team that Dumars thought could be competitive. Ben Gordon is signed to a huge contract but has only averaged 13.7 PPG this season and his minutes continue to decline as the season goes on. Villanueva is signed to a solid contract but the improvement in his numbers hasn't happened as hes only averaging 12.3 PPG and like Ben Gordon is losing minutes each game.

They financially restricted themselves by giving an ugly contract extension to Rip Hamilton, killing his trade value. Stuckey has stepped up this season but is still not a true PG who could replace Billups. Bynum is gone in Free Agency this year, and they dont really have much of a future other than Jerebko and Daye at the Forward position.

If they end up with a Top 5 Pick where could they go other than adding a C? They have depth at the wings but their guys aren't as good and are paid a lot.

Philadelphia 76ers:

They are pretty much stuck as a team good enough to compete for an 8th seed, but aren't bad enough to win the Lottery or get a Top 5 Pick.

They have an unmovable contract in Elton Brand, Samuel Dalembert is still making $10 Million and will next season aswell, and Andre Igoudala didn't become the Franchise player they expected. They are pretty much unable to right their wrongs in Free Agency and have to depend on trades/Draft for the next several years to add an impact player or part with some of their young prospects.

The 76ers atleast have a solid group of young prospects in Sweet Lou, Ja Rue, Thaddeus Young, and Marreese Speights. Even with these guys improving, they still have these ugly bloated contracts taking up their minutes, and they have a bad coach. They're going to continue picking in the 13-18 range in the Draft at this rate.

Every other team in the NBA either has a prized rookie to build around, open cap space in their future, or have a competitive basketball team.

JasonJohnHorn
03-09-2010, 04:25 PM
Philly has a great team and they are grossly underachieving right now. Brand, Dalembert, Young and Spieghts make for a solid front court and Young and Spieghts are young and improving while Dalembert, despite his offensive limits, is a great rebounder and solid post defender and Brand has shown his potential in the past and though his contract seems high, I think with a good coach this team can turn around. Igudala is a great player, and a great guy to bring up the ball and take pressure of a point guard and Kapono, though he hasn't been getting lots of minutes is a solid role player who can shoot the three and spread the floor. Philly's biggest hole is at point guard. Williams has been doing a decent job but in all reality his inexperience at really handling the ball and distrubuting the ball have shown and the departure of Miller has hurt this team more than most imagine. I would say if Miller was still on the team they would be over .500 and making some noise. The draft this year, and the midlevel exception will give them two options to improve the point guard situation and a coaching change me also give some improvements. Though their record doesn't seem to suggest it, i think some minor changes could really turn this team into a contender.

The Pacers have some young guys (Hibbert, Hansborough) and some guys hitting their prime (Granger, Dunleavy Ford) and some guys who can rebound (Murphy and Foster). I'm not sure why their not competing but a big reason is injuries and I think a mediocore coaching staff.

Detoit is easily the worst situation. I don't think the contracts owing to Prince and Hamilton are out of line, but the contracts offered to Gordan and Charlie V. were horrible moves. As a Detroit fan I would have sooner seen Dumars hold on to his cap space or give one year contracts out to a couple of guys than to see what he has done with Gordan and Charlie V. Dumars has put too much stock in Stuckey who is not the "Wade Jr." some made him out to be, and the losses of Billups, Wallace and McDeyss have left huge holes in this team. Dumars could have easily called up Boston or Cleveland and move Hamilton or Prince, and I'm sure he even could have pried some draft picks and Ray Allen's expiring contract if he offered up Hamilton and Gordon, but the trade deadline went by and Dumars made no moves.

Dumars has not always drafted well, and though his free agent signings in the past have been solid (Billups for example), his more recent ones have been less impressive.

Ben Wallace is playing well for his age, but has no future in Detroit, Charlie V. is simply not able to compete with most starters at his position, Prince and Hamilton are out of sorts on this new team whose chemistry does not suit their skill set, and their cap space situation leaves much to be desired. The mid-level expection and a draft pick is all they can hope for unless they make a major trade, and considering their are many teams with far worse records, it seems unlikely that Detroit will be able to draft an impact player.

There may be other teams with equally despairing futures: the Nets- most especially if they fail to land a top three pick which is a real possibility, the T-Wolves (who have a few good pieces but a front office that doesn't like Jefferson and is waiting on Rubio who could take three years to show up), the Kings (who have some good young talent but a front office that won't spend money) and the Suns (who though they have a great core this year, have invested money in aging super stars and have alienate their brightest hope for the future. Even the Knicks may find themsevles in a bad situations if players who are concerned about reduce length and anual payout of contracts opt to sign with their respective teams to make as much as they can before the next barganing agree cuts back what they could potentially make.

The Jazz and Hornets are also in sticky situations, they have good team, but not great team, they are over the cap and aren't making enough money to warrant investing in players to make their teams better and the Jazz could find their roster raided this off season with all their expiring contract.

But yeah, I think the Piston's future is looking VERY grim right now. :-(

RadiantShot
03-09-2010, 04:34 PM
Said Indiana. Don't see them turning it around for a while. A long while.

ManRam
03-09-2010, 04:44 PM
I say Detroit. They had money to spend last off season, and they did about as poorly as humanly possible. Even if Charlie and BG were playing well, that team would never win anything with what they have. They don't have a ton of youth, they don't draft well, and they aren't in a good place financially.

MJ-BULLS
03-09-2010, 04:51 PM
I say Detroit. They had money to spend last off season, and they did about as poorly as humanly possible. Even if Charlie and BG were playing well, that team would never win anything with what they have. They don't have a ton of youth, they don't draft well, and they aren't in a good place financially.

id say Detroit as well.

they wasted all there money on BG and charlie, and they're going to be stuck with the same roster for a long time. They could of just waited until this off-season gets here to have a chance to get one of the best free agents available this summer.

ko8e24
03-09-2010, 04:54 PM
Knicks.

If they don't get LeBron or they're unable to interest any big time free agents this summer, then all the crap they've tried to do the last 3-4 yrs to make cap space available will go to waste, they'll lose the trust of their fans (not that they have that many fans that still truly believe in what the organization is doing), and reputation wise, they'll just get worse and worse. Lee will be gone in the summer, T-Mac won't return if there's no other superstar, so they're 2 superstars are gonna be Wilson Chandler and Danillo Gallinari.

Not such a bright future IMO

sf-fanatic
03-09-2010, 04:55 PM
im suprised the warriors didnt make the list, but i guess the warriors future is somewhat bright as cohan is trying to sell the team and the team has solid building blocks with curry, randolph, and a most likely top 5 pick in the draft and a decent trading asset in ellis in the offseason.

ManRam
03-09-2010, 04:57 PM
Knicks.

If they don't get LeBron or they're unable to interest any big time free agents this summer, then all the crap they've tried to do the last 3-4 yrs to make cap space available will go to waste, they'll lose the trust of their fans (not that they have that many fans that still truly believe in what the organization is doing), and reputation wise, they'll just get worse and worse. Lee will be gone in the summer, T-Mac won't return if there's no other superstar, so they're 2 superstars are gonna be Wilson Chandler and Danillo Gallinari.

As bad as it could be, their future definitely looks brighter than these three teams, just because they actually have to ability to change their roster and potentially contend. These three, Detroit especially, are basically 100% screwed for the next few years.

TheKing23
03-09-2010, 04:59 PM
The way I look at it is if the Pacers wanted to they could shed a HUGE amount of cap room by COMPLETELY blowing up their team. They could package Danny Granger and those horrible contracts for young talent, picks and expirings... Yes they would have to give up a great player in Granger, but they're not going anywhere as it is, so maybe it wouldn't be a bad choice.

The same with Philly... They could probably package Iggy with Brand to a team for expirings, tank a season, get a high pick and have a ton of money to spend in free agency and all that takes is one trade with a team willing to absorb a horrible contract to get their hands on a great player.

The Pistons can't... They are stuck with Gordon and Villanueva's horrible contracts. I still don't know what the hell Dumars was thinking. Throwing $95 million+ at two bench players... Wow. They don't have anyone good enough who they could package with those contracts to get back young talent and expirings. Dumars should've saved his money for 2010 and tanked this season possibly landing a John Wall or Evan Turner). They still might get a top 5 prospect but i'm not even sure if that could save them from mediocrity.

TheKing23
03-09-2010, 05:03 PM
Knicks.

I can see the worse case scenario being Joe Johnson and a re-signed David Lee with a couple more real nice role players... With the team they currently have that's still a bright future and is in no way comparable to that of the Pistons, Pacers or Sixers.

29$JerZ
03-09-2010, 05:05 PM
Knicks.

Your dead wrong buddy.

NY fans firstly have been through hell for this whole decade, 2010 is not the end all be all factor that separates fans from NY. Nothing tops Isiah/Layden. Over 100 million dollar payroll to be a 23 win team and have the picks either traded or swapped is awful.

Secondly people put too much focus on LeBron and 2010 in general. NY has no defensive players, no smart players, and before Mike/Donnie no direction. We can actually build a real time for once, impossible to do when you have over 28 million taking up CAP in Zach/Jamal

Coming into 2011 NY will have Wilson/Danilo who are two very solid players with Tony a perfect guard for a ball handling all-star and Eddy's 11 million expiring to use when we become buyers. Also NY isn't letting Lee go. If it's obvious NY cannot get a star they won't renounce Lee and will keep him. Or at worst S/T him while we hold his rights to another team.

This team needed to be gutted years ago.

2010 is about building a new team completely, whether its going to be built on LeBron or our own players doesn't matter. It's a hell of a lot better then having all the talent we've had this decade but go nowhere.

And to say we have a worser future then Detroit/Philly/Indy is absurd. Knicks have CAP room and some solid players coming back next year, Detroit overpayed and its not helping them. They basically did what the Knicks did in years past and get the so called best talent but not what's going to help them get a ring.

R_O_W_E
03-09-2010, 05:06 PM
The way I look at it is if the Pacers wanted to they could shed a HUGE amount of cap room by COMPLETELY blowing up their team. They could package Danny Granger and those horrible contracts for young talent, picks and expirings... Yes they would have to give up a great player in Granger, but they're not going anywhere as it is, so maybe it wouldn't be a bad choice.

What teams would be willing to give up young players and expirers for Granger?

I dont see a team with both prospects and expirers that fits the bill.

The same with Philly... They could probably package Iggy with Brand to a team for expirings, tank a season, get a high pick and have a ton of money to spend in free agency and all that takes is one trade with a team willing to absorb a horrible contract to get their hands on a great player.

Philly couldn't even move Igoudala for Big Z's expirer or Ray Allen. They want to dump the contract but want some sort of value, and they cant have it both ways. Brand's contract is completely unmovable at this point, his contract is ugly and has 3 more seasons at a ridiculous price left on it for an often injured declining unathletic PF.

The Pistons can't... They are stuck with Gordon and Villanueva's horrible contracts. I still don't know what the hell Dumars was thinking. Throwing $95 million+ at two bench players... Wow. They don't have anyone good enough who they could package with those contracts to get back young talent and expirings. Dumars should've saved his money for 2010 and tanked this season possibly landing a John Wall or Evan Turner). They still might get a top 5 prospect but i'm not even sure if that could save them from mediocrity.

For Detroit because they have so much depth in the backcourt, drafting a guy like Turner or even Wall doesn't make sense unless they can package that pick to dump maybe 1 or 2 of those bad contracts at the same time.

ko8e24
03-09-2010, 05:07 PM
Your dead wrong buddy.

NY fans firstly have been through hell for this whole decade, 2010 is not the end all be all factor that separates fans from NY. Nothing tops Isiah/Layden. Over 100 million dollar payroll to be a 23 win team and have the picks either traded or swapped is awful.

Secondly people put too much focus on LeBron and 2010 in general. NY has no defensive players, no smart players, and before Mike/Donnie no direction.

Coming into 2011 NY will have Wilson/Danilo who are two very solid players with Tony a perfect guard for a ball handling all-star and Eddy's 11 million expiring to use when we become buyers.

2010 is about building a new team completely, whether its going to be built on LeBron or our own players doesn't matter. It's a hell of a lot better then having all the talent we've had this decade but go nowhere.

And to say we have a worser future then Detroit/Philly/Indy is absurd. Knicks have CAP room and some solid players coming back next year, Detroit overpayed and its not helping them. They basically did what the Knicks did in years past and get the so called best talent but not what's going to help them get a ring.

Well, you're a Knicks fan, and seems you know much better the status of your team better than I do, so I shall concede my argument and give in.

R_O_W_E
03-09-2010, 05:07 PM
Your dead wrong buddy.

Secondly people put too much focus on LeBron and 2010 in general. NY has no defensive players, no smart players, and before Mike/Donnie no direction.

Coming into 2011 NY will have Wilson/Danilo who are two very solid players with Tony a perfect guard for a ball handling all-star and Eddy's 11 million expiring to use when we become buyers.

Well Said.

Knicks could potentially go from cellar dwellar to Top 4 seed in the East depending on their moves this summer. Thats why their future looks brighter than other teams, same with the Nets aswell.

smith&wesson
03-09-2010, 05:10 PM
Indiana has sucked since reggie miller retired. indiana is gonna suck for a long time.

philie just needs to get rid of brand. they have a good yonge group of players. they need to get a player can bring what they thought they were getting in brand.
the brand move was terrible. he has never been the same since leaving the clippers after that injury. other then that though they have a nice decent team that needs some tweeks.

detroit. joe dumars. thats all i have to say. made a great team. destroyed a great team. and now dosnt know what to do .

R_O_W_E
im suprised the warriors didnt make the list, but i guess the warriors future is somewhat bright as cohan is trying to sell the team and the team has solid building blocks with curry, randolph, and a most likely top 5 pick in the draft and a decent trading asset in ellis in the offseason.

The Warriors have a great future if they actually have direction in their team.

Curry
Randolph
Wright
Ellis
Biedrins
Williams
Morrow

Thats a solid bunch of players, they just need to move the likes of Maggette and Vlad Rad with one or two of those guys mentioned above to bring an established SF or just to clear cap space.

jacquewho?
For those saying that the Pacers have the worst future: Please take note that the contracts of Ford, Murphy, Dunleavy, Tinsley's buyout, and Foster will all be expiring next season. Those 5 contracts add up to about $43M in expirings (I wish that was for this summer :sigh:). Expect the Pacers to be big in next year's trade deadline. That is Bird's plan, as of right now. He's trying to get together guys around Danny then add more that summer and be put into a position to make a serious run in the 2011 season.

R_O_W_E
03-09-2010, 05:13 PM
Indiana has sucked since reggie miller retired. indiana is gonna suck for a long time.

Indiana has sucked ever since The Malice in The Palace.

They had so many problem guys on that team and then didn't draft well either afterwards other than getting lucky with Granger.

I just dont see how they can remain in Indiana in the next 5 years, thats a great basketball area but they dont support their team enough when they're bad.

philie just needs to get rid of brand. they have a good yonge group of players. they need to get a player can bring what they thought they were getting in brand.
the brand move was terrible. he has never been the same since leaving the clippers after that injury. other then that though they have a nice decent team that needs some tweeks.
How far honestly do you think they can go with a core of Williams/Iggy/Young. They still need that Franchise player to push them to a competitive level, until then they are going to be stuck where they are.

R_O_W_E
03-09-2010, 05:17 PM
For those saying that the Pacers have the worst future: Please take note that the contracts of Ford, Murphy, Dunleavy, Tinsley's buyout, and Foster will all be expiring next season. Those 5 contracts add up to about $43M in expirings (I wish that was for this summer :sigh:). Expect the Pacers to be big in next year's trade deadline. That is Bird's plan, as of right now. He's trying to get together guys around Danny then add more that summer and be put into a position to make a serious run in the 2011 season.
What do you honestly expect the Pacers to do next Trade Deadline? They have multiple big expirers but you're not going to be able to just trade expirers for established players without sacrificing picks and/or prospects.

What type of serious run? For a NBA Title? I dont think so.

Their expirers do come off the books in 2011 but when was the last time Indiana signed a big time Free Agent? Never. They're still going to have to overpay to bring a guy to their team. From the looks of the 2011 Free Agent Class, there aren't that many big name guys to think will be worth overpaying.

dev0
03-09-2010, 05:23 PM
detroit out of those three, but they still have a lot of interesting pieces to work with... not as bad as Minnesota

jacquewho?
03-09-2010, 05:28 PM
What do you honestly expect the Pacers to do next Trade Deadline? They have multiple big expirers but you're not going to be able to just trade expirers for established players without sacrificing picks and/or prospects.

Kevin Martin happened at the deadline. If teams are facing luxury tax problems and need to dish out players, then I can see teams coming to us. Utah did that this deadline with Eric Maynor. I know he's not an established player and he's only a rookie, but he is still a legit prospect. If we cant get anyone significant at the deadline, then we still have FA where we will be in the same position as the Knicks are this summer. [/quote]

What type of serious run? For a NBA Title? I dont think so.

Maybe not immediately, but a core group of guys will be set to get back into contention within a few years. If not, Larry Bird will be outta town...and the Pacers may be following, I fear.

Their expirers do come off the books in 2011 but when was the last time Indiana signed a big time Free Agent? Never. They're still going to have to overpay to bring a guy to their team. From the looks of the 2011 Free Agent Class, there aren't that many big name guys to think will be worth overpaying.

We've never signed a big time FA cause we've had money locked up into other players and only had the MLE available. We could of had a chance to make some noise the summer after we did the Stephen Jackson/Dunleavy trade, but Dunleavy and Murphy's contracts have really hurt us. And to add on TJ Ford just makes our financial situation even worse. The 2011 FA class isn't close to the talent level of 2010, but it does have some pretty significant names if I remember correctly.

R_O_W_E
03-09-2010, 05:38 PM
Kevin Martin happened at the deadline. If teams are facing luxury tax problems and need to dish out players, then I can see teams coming to us. Utah did that this deadline with Eric Maynor. I know he's not an established player and he's only a rookie, but he is still a legit prospect. If we cant get anyone significant at the deadline, then we still have FA where we will be in the same position as the Knicks are this summer.

But there is a difference between a struggling basketball team like the Pacers and a team like the Knicks?

Hopefully you do realize that the likes of Chris Paul, Carmelo, among others aren't going to be falling over themselves looking to play in Indiana with David Granger.....errr Demarcus Granger.....errr Danny Granger.

Teams like Indiana don't spend their time trying to sign Free Agents because thats not their role in the basketball world, Indiana built up their previous contending team by acquiring players like JO, Artest, Jackson, etc. Their drafting has been solid, but they've not drafted an All Star since Reggie Miller.

Kevin Martin = Andre Igoudala. Same situation, if Indiana is going to part with expirers and a young player/picks for a guy who's viewed as a salary cap anchor on another team then I dont see how you can expect things to change elsewhere. Kevin Martin is still a bad contract unless you are able to win with it, if not you just bail out another team.

Maybe not immediately, but a core group of guys will be set to get back into contention within a few years. If not, Larry Bird will be outta town...and the Pacers may be following, I fear.
A few as in how many years?

We've never signed a big time FA cause we've had money locked up into other players and only had the MLE available. We could of had a chance to make some noise the summer after we did the Stephen Jackson/Dunleavy trade, but Dunleavy and Murphy's contracts have really hurt us. And to add
on TJ Ford just makes our financial situation even worse. The 2011 FA class isn't close to the talent level of 2010, but it does have some pretty significant names if I remember correctly.

I'll do you a favor and link you to the guys in the 2011 class.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?page=FreeAgents-10-11

Now that you've looked over the Free Agent crop, could you care to elaborate to me how they could build the Pacers into a Title Contender in a "few years"? Im guessing that you're either not mentioning the Pacers basically hitting the lotto in the 2010 and 2011 Lottery with a "great young rookie" or you have an inflated view of the current role players on your team built around Granger, who in my opinion is a #2 option on a competive team.

Big Zo
03-09-2010, 05:46 PM
Clippers.

The End.

Chi City23
03-09-2010, 05:49 PM
Funny how all 3 of those teams are in the East :pity:

And the Clips have a decent future if Blake gets healthy and lives up to expectations and they also have cap space so not sure what you're talking about

R_O_W_E
03-09-2010, 05:50 PM
Funny how all 3 of those teams are in the East :pity:

And the Clips have a decent future if Blake gets healthy and lives up to expectations and they also have cap space so not sure what you're talking about

Clippers are excluded, no offense to any Clippers fan but they will probably never amount to anything in the near or distant future as long as Sterling makes the decisions.

TheKing23
03-09-2010, 05:54 PM
For Detroit because they have so much depth in the backcourt, drafting a guy like Turner or even Wall doesn't make sense unless they can package that pick to dump maybe 1 or 2 of those bad contracts at the same time.

Do you honestly think if the Pistons got the first or second overall pick and took John Wall or Evan Turner, they would then trade them and a bad contract for cap relief?

John Wall and Evan Turner are franchise players. Mark my words they will be stars in this league. You draft them and do whatever it takes to build around them. Too many backcourt players? Trade Stuckey for a big man. There is no way any team in their right mind should trade Wall or Turner if they get them in the draft. If Detroit got either of them their future would look considerably brighter:

PG: John Wall
SG: Rip Hamilton
SF: Tayshaun Prince
PF: Charlie Villanueva
C: Someone they could get in a trade for Stuckey

or

PG: Rodney Stuckey
SG: Evan Turner
SF: Tayshaun Prince
PF: Charlie Villanueva
C: Someone they could get in a trade for Hamilton or Gordon

Either way both of those teams would make a bit of noise if the East. It all comes down to the draft really.

fairandbalanced
03-09-2010, 05:57 PM
None of the above....it's the Celtics.

SteveNash
03-09-2010, 05:57 PM
Whoever gets burned and is left overpaying FAs this offseason. + Wizards

mlisica19
03-09-2010, 05:58 PM
76ers... they keep trusting on winning with these talented no winners. Give Andre a chance at leading the team again and ull see the team grow

Saltinuts40
03-09-2010, 06:23 PM
In order of least bright future:

Detroit has Richard Hamilton for 3 more years, Ben Gordon and Charlie Villanueva for 4 more years. They haven't found takers for any and Tayshawn Prince, their best player, isn't a 25/10 type player.

Golden State has 4 more years with Monta Ellis and Andris Biedrins and 3 more years with Corey Maggette. If Anthony Randolph becomes a stick figure injury bust like Brandan Wright, they will have Stephen Curry and bad contracts going forward.

Indiana has $64 million committed to next year already, but only $15 after that. Granger and Jones are the only players they have under contract that isn't a rookie. If they draft well this year, they can be big players in the 2011FA market.

Washington has the enormous contract that is Agent Zero. Blatche, Thornton, Young, and McGee could be a young nucleus to build with, but can Arenas be a leader again?

Minnesota has Al Jefferson, Kevin Love, Ryan Gomes, Jonny Flynn and Corey Brewer long term. Will that turn into a legit starting 5. They hope so, but they're losing $30 off their books this off-season.

New York has a slight edge over Minnesota because with Donnie Walsh and Mike D'Antoni, they can recruit in Free Agency. I see them getting Amare Stoudamire and Joe Johnson, two former D'Antoni players.

Philly still has Elton for 3 more years, Iggy isn't elite, and Dalembert, Kapono, and Willie Green aren't as good as their contracts.

New Jersey has Brook Lopez, Devin Harris and only $22 million committed to next season. That's about it.