PDA

View Full Version : How do you feel about the teams future?

PurpleJesus
03-08-2010, 08:34 PM
The Wild are all but mathematically eliminated from the playoffs, but how do you feel about the future of this team?

I think the best thing the team has going for them is the fans, no matter how many years in a row the front office puts a mediocre team on the ice, we continue to sell out the Xcel.
Some things I'm not comfortable with is the talent level of the team, we are full of third line players that are forced to play on 2nd and 1st lines. We have some quality players, but not enough. I think there are guys on this team that can be staples for a long time such as Latendresse, Clutterbuck, Koivu, Burns and Zidlicky...but thats just not enough, our front office needs to step up soon, cause the fans of Minnesota arent going to deal with mediocrity for to much longer.

Wisdom Listens
03-09-2010, 02:51 PM
The Wild are all but mathematically eliminated from the playoffs, but how do you feel about the future of this team?

I think the best thing the team has going for them is the fans, no matter how many years in a row the front office puts a mediocre team on the ice, we continue to sell out the Xcel.
Some things I'm not comfortable with is the talent level of the team, we are full of third line players that are forced to play on 2nd and 1st lines. We have some quality players, but not enough. I think there are guys on this team that can be staples for a long time such as Latendresse, Clutterbuck, Koivu, Burns and Zidlicky...but thats just not enough, our front office needs to step up soon, cause the fans of Minnesota arent going to deal with mediocrity for to much longer.

I actually really like the core put in place here. In my mind we're set on D with Burns/Barker/Zidlicky/Schultz/Zanon. Obviously we need to address the center and forward positions, and I'm sure we will. Fletcher has made all the appropriate moves thus far, and I expect him to do the same this off-season. I think most Wild fans understand Fletcher just inherited the team this season, and it will probably be another year before the team is set in the way he envisions.

We have some very good pieces on the front line as well with Havlat/Koivu/Clutterbuck/Bouchard/Latendresse, and with Miettinen/Brodziak/Brunette/Kobasew/Sheppard filling in the holes left over, we will compete next season, no doubt.

In reality, the Wild have been playing at a playoff level for the last few months, and if it wasn't for their horrible first 2 months of the season, we would be talking playoffs right now.

foofighter97
03-09-2010, 04:44 PM
I agree with you both. I think the wild definitely have some key pieces like wisdom said and we are set defensively and in the net but i understand the frustration that we do have a lot of grinders and prototypical 3rd line players on the roster. Most of that though is due to lemaire's defensive style of hockey. Fletcher will add skill players in the off-season and will address our needs at center. Also lets not forget the injuries bouchard has only played in one game the entire season, burns was injured for a while, havlat has been injured along with nolan and sykora when we had him. a healthy team the whole season definitely changes our position.

PurpleJesus
03-09-2010, 11:42 PM
say the wild did play good at the beginning of the season, whats that good for? a 7th or 8th seed? The fans of Minnesota deserve a team that is a 4 seed or above every year in the playoffs. These average teams are driving me nuts, I cant believe we put up with so many years of Risberough's crap, Fletcher gets a pass this year considering this is his first year here, but I fully expect the playoffs next year followed by a top 4 seed the year after...I can afford to be patient with the Timberwolves, but this is the State of Hockey dammit, and we deserve the best.

PurpleJesus
03-09-2010, 11:48 PM
and lets look at this core really quick, on defense all we have that is special is Burns and Zidlicky...then we have a slightly above average Shultz and Zanon, and a wild card in Cam Barker (who so far has not looked that good)

on offense we have Koivu, and Latendresse...then no one else too special, we have Havlat who is a second line player at best, Clutterbuck who is under skilled, but brings energy and fires the team and fans up (sounds like a 4th line guy to me), then we have two more wild cards in Bouchard who may never play again, and James Sheppard who has not looked good at all.

This team is just lacking major talent, and we cant look at our AHL system for talent because we have one of the thinnest prospect pool in the NHL.

foofighter97
03-09-2010, 11:49 PM
Well i agree the wild in the past have put out a team that could make the playoffs but never really go anywhere. As far as seed it doesn't matter to me a few years ago the wild were the 3 and lost in the first round and in the western conference asking for a consistently top 4 team is a pretty daunting task. I think you will see an aggressive off-season from the wild and a much better product next season because we can just focus on improving our top 6.

foofighter97
03-09-2010, 11:55 PM
and lets look at this core really quick, on defense all we have that is special is Burns and Zidlicky...then we have a slightly above average Shultz and Zanon, and a wild card in Cam Barker (who so far has not looked that good)

on offense we have Koivu, and Latendresse...then no one else too special, we have Havlat who is a second line player at best, Clutterbuck who is under skilled, but brings energy and fires the team and fans up (sounds like a 4th line guy to me), then we have two more wild cards in Bouchard who may never play again, and James Sheppard who has not looked good at all.

This team is just lacking major talent, and we cant look at our AHL system for talent because we have one of the thinnest prospect pool in the NHL.

I disagree there Koivu and latendresse are very solid players. Meittnen is a very good player and clutterbuck is a great checking forward who will chip in 20-25 goals in his prime. We also have chuck kobasew who is solid. Bouchard is a top 6 forward when healthy and so is havlat.

As far as D Burns, Zidlicky, and Barker are really good offensive defense men who can put up 40 from the blueline. Believe me Barker is a very good defense men that will only get better. He is still only 23. Schultz and Zanon are both stay at home defense men who are very under rated because they dont get a lot of points but are very valuable to our team and are counted on to shutdown top forwards.

PurpleJesus
03-10-2010, 12:07 AM
I did say Koivu and Latendresse were very good

Thinking Cal can get 20-25 goals is vastly overrating your own players. Chuck Kobasew is fast, but not solid. I understand Barker is young and can improve, but all the comments the Chicago fans have made about him I have found to be true thus far. Our D men outside of Burns and Zidlicky could be vastly upgraded. Havlat's good, but really can a team that has Havlat and Koivu as there two best offensive players carry a team for years to come? hell no. Just look at the talent on teams that are in the playoffs this year, and look at the talent on our team, there are huge differences...huge

JBoog35
03-10-2010, 01:36 AM
Next year's lines:

Brunette Koivu (goal scorer)
Latandresse (2nd Center) Havlat
Kobasew Brodziak Nolan
Boogard Gillies Clutterbuck

I really think this team needs to deal Sheppard, Bouchard, and Harding.

1) Bouchard is a nice player, but so is Bruno, Koivu, Havlat, etc. We need a pure goal scorer. I would package almost anything if I had to, just to get a legit goal scorer.

2) Sheppard needs a change of scenery. Just like Poliout and Latandresse. Shep needs to go somewhere else.

3) I think we all know Backstrom is our goalie for a long time. I also think Harding is going to want out because he knows he has no chance to play here. We should try to get something in return for Harding and give Khoubidon a real shot at the #2.

4) I think we have most spots set on the offense except a true goal scorer, and a legit #2 center. Gillies will probably be up next year. Who knows, maybe Gillies can turn into that guy, but as far as next year, I think they are going to need one.

Defense
Burns Zidlicky
Barker Zanon
Schultz Stoner

I think Stoner is a maybe right now. I think they are ok going forward with they have, but I can see them possibly making a minor signing.

Wisdom Listens
03-10-2010, 12:21 PM
I really think this team needs to deal Sheppard, Bouchard, and Harding.

It would be a mistake to trade PMB with his value at an all-time low.

JBoog35
03-10-2010, 01:29 PM
It would be a mistake to trade PMB with his value at an all-time low.

In all honesty, he has always just been a potential player. He is quick on his skates and a good passer, but I don't think his value was that high before he was hurt. With him being out the ENTIRE season makes me question if he should be dealt ASAP for whatever they can get. What happens if he can't play again or if he tries and gets his bell wrong again and can't play. Then the Wild are left eating his monster contract. Who knows, maybe I am wrong and he comes back next year and plays well, but I think it's a big risk to hold on to that contract. Who needs an entire year to come back from a concussion?

Also, I can't remember who said it, but someone vastly underrated Nick Schultz and Greg Zanon. I really really like this defensive unit. Burns (once he gets back to his old self) and Zidlicky are very nice Offensive players. Barker, who was good enough to play on the Power Play for the best team in the NHL, should get some games in a new system under his belt before we judge him. Zanon, what can you say? Great stay at home defensemen. Vet, Savvy, blocks more shots than anyone but the goalie. He is a very good D man. Schultz, solid stay at home defender, learning how to be a part of the power play, but give it a year or two and he won't have to anymore. Cuma or Scandorelli will be up.

Wisdom Listens
03-10-2010, 02:02 PM
In all honesty, he has always just been a potential player. He is quick on his skates and a good passer, but I don't think his value was that high before he was hurt. With him being out the ENTIRE season makes me question if he should be dealt ASAP for whatever they can get. What happens if he can't play again or if he tries and gets his bell wrong again and can't play. Then the Wild are left eating his monster contract. Who knows, maybe I am wrong and he comes back next year and plays well, but I think it's a big risk to hold on to that contract. Who needs an entire year to come back from a concussion?

He's still so young though, with a world of potential. I just think it would be a mistake to give up on him this early. What kind of message does that send anyway? "If you play for the Wild and sustain a horrible injury, we will trade you asap so we don't have to pay you anymore." The wise move in my mind would be to at least give him next season to come back and build his value again, then trade him. But I would still rather hang on to him.

Zanon, what can you say? Great stay at home defensemen. Vet, Savvy, blocks more shots than anyone but the goalie. He is a very good D man.

You said it. Zanon is vastly underrated, and is quickly becoming one of my favorite Wild players. He consistently drives players off the puck and puts his body in the way to block a shot. His outlet passing is very good as well. His productivity can sometimes fly under the radar, but if you're looking for it, you will see it. Great defender.

Wild1414
03-10-2010, 05:48 PM
Well after watching Gaborik, Rolston and Dimetra go for nothing, i am happy to see new head coach and new GM, agreed fletcher does get a pass for this year, i dont understand why he gave up Nick Leddy already, i guess becuase we have Tyler Cuma playing for ottawa 67's. Other then cuma our drafts are horrible, so theres really not a whole lot of youth that we have. So this off season i hope fletcher makes some pick ups, some good draft choices and i will be a little happier. I like what i have seen from Todd Richards, we should be a better road team even if we were .500 on the road we would be in a great spot.

foofighter97
03-10-2010, 08:00 PM
To purpleJesus two things
1. Clutter is 22 and in first season put in 11 goals in 78 games and this season has 12 goals in 57 games. to say he could be a 20 goal scorer is not over rating him.
2. remember what Hab's fans said about latendresse? He was lazy, couldn't score, can't use his size, doesn't hit,etc... and look at him now. he has 23 goals.

PurpleJesus
03-10-2010, 08:21 PM
^^^right, all the things the fans said about latendress became not true, all the things the Chicago fans said about Cam Barker so far appear to be true...Latendresse performance showed the Habs fans were wrong, Barker's performance has only shown me that Chicago fans were right.

foofighter97
03-10-2010, 10:23 PM
Well the guy has 1 goals and 2 assists since coming over and is +4. I don't know what else your looking for?

PurpleJesus
03-11-2010, 12:07 AM
looking for him to not drop so many passes when they come out to him at the blue line, causing our whole team to have to clear the zone, looking for him to dump the puck into the opposing zone instead of skating back to his own zone, looking for him to win battles for the lose puck

Wisdom Listens
03-11-2010, 01:03 AM
looking for him to not drop so many passes when they come out to him at the blue line, causing our whole team to have to clear the zone, looking for him to dump the puck into the opposing zone instead of skating back to his own zone, looking for him to win battles for the lose puck

Some guys take longer to adjust to new teammates and a new system than others. I'm not too worried about it.

Wild1414
03-11-2010, 02:04 PM
I think barker could be better, what i am very happy about is fletcher took a UFA and traded him and got a comparable d-man who still gives us 2 more years after at 3.3 million. If that was doug he would have just let Kim Johnsson go for nothing.

JBoog35
03-13-2010, 12:58 PM
2 things. 1) Fletcher has been a mover and a shaker and I love it. We haven't seen much from Barker or Kobasew for that matter, but I do think these players will come around and we will see more from them next year. I am happy we got a 2nd for Belanger and that he can see the future. He locked up Clutterbuck. If he can score 15-20 goals, lead the team in hits, and play harder than everyone on the ice, he is absolutely worth it. He already is better than Reisborough.
2) I am excited to see his draft progress. Every time I watch Leddy play on FSN he doesn't show me that much. I watched Leddy play the Sioux last night and he was absolutely non existent. I think unlike the Old Gm, Chuck isn't afraid to fix a mistake. I think Leddy was a mistake, and so did a lot of other scouts. I think he tried to make a homer pick, but made up for his mistake already. He was able to do this because of Cuma and Scandorelli, both playing very well and will be ready sooner. The draft this year should be interesting.

Wild1414
03-15-2010, 06:50 PM
I hope Cuma turns out like Myers !!!

foofighter97
03-16-2010, 05:43 PM
The Wild signed Casey Wellman today. Good signing, he was 6th in the nation in goals at UMASS. Looks like he is a pure sniper with a nose for the goal and also plays center. Hopefully he can adjust from college to the pro's quickly.

Wisdom Listens
03-21-2010, 05:02 AM
The Wild signed Casey Wellman today. Good signing, he was 6th in the nation in goals at UMASS. Looks like he is a pure sniper with a nose for the goal and also plays center. Hopefully he can adjust from college to the pro's quickly.

Got a point in his first game. Good start.

JBoog35
03-22-2010, 12:37 PM
I was at the Wild-Calgary game on Sunday, Wellman looked very fluid out on the ice. Fast kid. I didn't see any physicality to his game what so ever, but I only saw him take a couple quick wristers. What I saw wasn't too impressive, but it wasn't a very good sample either. He saw lots of ice time though, that was nice.

EliteMind21
03-22-2010, 10:59 PM
So far watching Wellman I like what I see. I don't know if he is going to be the goal scorer he was in college but I like the way he gets up and down the ice. He is quick and I think with time he will get more comfortable and start shooting and scoring like he can and fight for the puck more. Excited to see what this kid can bring. Must have a lot of potential since 21 teams in the league were trying to get him.

foofighter97
03-24-2010, 06:49 PM
i agree. Right now i think its too soon to judge him because he is college hockey size. Over the off-season he'll have to put a lot of time in the gym and beef up if he wants to stick around. i think he's done well but he's definitely getting pushed around and muscled off the puck.

Wisdom Listens
03-24-2010, 09:08 PM
He could stand to add about 10 pounds, but really, his puck control (or lack thereof) is more about his technique. I've noticed he is reckless with the puck at times, much like a young (and sometimes) older Brent Burns. The skill set is there, and the rest should come with experience.

One thing is for certain, the upside is worth the contract.

foofighter97
03-24-2010, 11:26 PM
Yes he has hands and speed for sure but its all about timing. As he matures i agree he could be real dangerous. I wish somehow his recklessness rubs off on sheppard who has size hands and speed

EliteMind21
03-25-2010, 11:54 AM
I think James Sheppard is a lost cause. The only thing i think we can hope for with him is a Latendresse type trade. Trade an underachieving young player for another underachieving young player and hope for the best IMO

Wisdom Listens
03-25-2010, 04:08 PM
I think James Sheppard is a lost cause. The only thing i think we can hope for with him is a Latendresse type trade. Trade an underachieving young player for another underachieving young player and hope for the best IMO

No doubt Sheppard has had a disappointing career thus far, but he's also only 21 years old. To say he's a lost cause is a little premature, in my opinion.

boeknows
03-25-2010, 04:25 PM
Yeah he was pretty much thrown into the fire at a young age. I still think he could be something special but he really needs to work on his game and put on some weight and some strength.

EliteMind21
03-26-2010, 02:00 PM
I know he is still young but i already see more promise out of wellman than i do of sheppard. I just don't ever see him being a good goal scorer and i just don't see him at center. I think with his body size, if he added some strength, he moved to forward, i think he could be like brunette (a beast around net). He isn't quite enough and good enough with the puck to create for anyone or himself, his stats prove this. he only has 5 pts in 57 games and a -12. Maybe i am way off here but that is how i feel. at 21 though i agree give him more time

foofighter97
03-27-2010, 12:04 AM
I disagree. Sheppard has a great set of hands and has speed. i think sheppard could be a good player but he doesn't have any confidence. Sheppard should've spent the last two seasons in houston. Being in the NHL has hindered his development.

EliteMind21
04-09-2010, 02:04 PM
ok so we miss the playoffs and a lot of the better guys on our team are out, so why watch these last games? I think they are awesome to see the young talent we have. the three pickups we have gotten since kids leaving after the college season ends is great. I see a lot of promise out of Wellman, Prosser, and Almond. I think as they said on the broadcast last night that once Wellman adds some strength he will be a star. I think Prosser already looks like a solid defenseman and Almond i have't seen much of but i have hope for him. the last game will be fun to watch for two reasons. watch all of the young future guys play and also watch madano play what could be his last game in the town he got started in. kinda cool i think

Wisdom Listens
04-11-2010, 02:11 AM
ok so we miss the playoffs and a lot of the better guys on our team are out, so why watch these last games?

I watched the game tonight just to see Modano in which might be his last game. It was cool, because after the game they gave him a Northstars jersey to put on and all the fans gave him a standing O as he skated around the rink.

EliteMind21
04-13-2010, 11:26 AM
I agree. I too watched the game and it was awesome. It was unexpected to see the different jersey and plus what he said after the game. I mean he basically said he wished he could have stayed in minnesota and i think it is because of the atmosphere the fans make at games.