PDA

View Full Version : Is Ben Wallace HOF worthy?

Swashcuff
03-08-2010, 01:21 PM
Big Ben is a toughie IMO he did have a VERY GOOD stretch but thatís just it a stretch he hasnít consistently throughout his career play at HOF level. Here are his achievements thus far.

NBA Champion: 2004
4-time NBA All-Star: 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006
4-time NBA Defensive Player of the Year: 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006 (Tied for most All-Time)
6-time All-NBA Defensive Team:
First Team: 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006
Second Team: 2007

5-time All-NBA:
Second Team: 2003, 2004, 2006
Third Team: 2002, 2005

2-time NBA regular-season leader, rebounds per game: 2002 (13.0), 2003 (15.4)
NBA regular-season leader, blocks per game: 2002 (3.5)
2-time NBA regular-season leader, total rebounds: 2001 (1052), 2003 (1026)
NBA regular-season leader, total defensive rebounds: 2001 (749)
2-time NBA regular-season leader, total offensive rebounds: 2003 (293), 2006 (301)
NBA regular-season leader, total blocks: 2002 (278)
Career Averages of 6.2 ppg, 10. 2 rpg, 2.1 bpg, 1.3 spg, FG% .475 FT% .416

I really am interested in hearing the arguments for him because I mean 41% from the line is the worst in NBA history. That's just deplorable for and NBA HOFer

Pierzynski4Prez
03-08-2010, 01:31 PM
he was dominant, no doubt about it, but just not for long enough. For me, to be HOF worthy, you have be be one of the games best for at least a decade.

MJ-BULLS
03-08-2010, 01:33 PM
he was definitely a great defensive presence in his prime, but yeah. He wasn't that good for that long.

In my opinion he isn't Hall of Fame worthy.

Hellcrooner
03-08-2010, 01:35 PM
Yes.

Great defensive players should get into the Hof too.

I hope rodman gets in too.

jackdawson
03-08-2010, 01:48 PM
Yes, He is. I will be ****in pissed if Rodman, Ben, and Motumbo cant get in. People have always underrated defence which is lame. You simply dont win without D.

Pierzynski4Prez
03-08-2010, 01:52 PM
Yes.

Great defensive players should get into the Hof too.

I hope rodman gets in too.

Not saying great defensive players can't get into the hall, but to me if you want to be in the Hall of Fame, you need to be an oustanding player, one of the best of your era, for at least a decade. You can't just let anyone who has a very good 5-7 years and thats it into the HOF.

I wouldn't count anything he did outside of Detroit being worthy of Hall of Fame type play, and he was only with the Pistons for 6 seasons.

Pierzynski4Prez
03-08-2010, 01:56 PM
Yes, He is. I will be ****in pissed if Rodman, Ben, and Motumbo cant get in. People have always underrated defence which is lame. You simply dont win without D.

Mutumbo will get in I'm sure, but he'll have to wait a while since it took him a few years to retire. I'd like for Rodman to get in but just not sure.

Squad13
03-08-2010, 01:59 PM
No way

Jaji
03-08-2010, 02:01 PM
Pistons HOF: Yes

NBA HOF: :laugh2:

Grant Hill gets in before Wallace.

Hellcrooner
03-08-2010, 02:02 PM
Not saying great defensive players can't get into the hall, but to me if you want to be in the Hall of Fame, you need to be an oustanding player, one of the best of your era, for at least a decade. You can't just let anyone who has a very good 5-7 years and thats it into the HOF.

I wouldn't count anything he did outside of Detroit being worthy of Hall of Fame type play, and he was only with the Pistons for 6 seasons.

Don nelson was never outstanding, nore kc jones etc etc

then you got tons of hoffers that played just ONE side of the court , the offensie one like Maravich.

So why dont player wich play outstandingly the Other side of the court dont deserve it?.

albertc86
03-08-2010, 02:04 PM
Ben doesn't deserve it. Don't compare him to Rodman. Rodman won multiple titles, and despite his frame, is arguably one of the best rebounders of all-time. He was a great defender as well. Ben Wallace just didn't do it long enough to warrant a HOF nod.

sep11ie
03-08-2010, 02:14 PM
He dominated for what, 8 years?

uknowmyname
03-08-2010, 02:19 PM
I am biased because I'm a Detroiter but I definitely think he should get in. The guy won the DPOY award 4 times. Was the anchor on a championship team. Plus I remember a run when the Pistons were destroying all the defensive records and streaks while they were at their best. Remember he is 6'9", you can't expect him to play at a high level for a long time like Kareem, Shaq or Motombo because his game was based on athleticism not size.

king4day
03-08-2010, 02:22 PM
The question was answered in your initial post.
You can't have 4 really good years and that's it, to be Hall worthy.

Just like, if Lebron had a career ending injury tomorrow. He wouldn't go to the hall. Not a big enough span of time

Sadds The Gr8
03-08-2010, 02:22 PM
He was really sick, but I'm gonna say no because 6 years of domination shouldnt be enough to get u into the HoF. Like some posters said b4, you should be dominating for at least a decade to get into the Hall.

Sadds The Gr8
03-08-2010, 02:25 PM

Just like, if Lebron had a career ending injury tomorrow. He wouldn't go to the hall. Not a big enough span of time

with the amount of hype he gets, I wouldn't be surprised if he did.

SirCarlton
03-08-2010, 02:34 PM
No

BOSTON617
03-08-2010, 02:42 PM
Let him in hes one of a kind

Hawkeye15
03-08-2010, 02:45 PM
I say no. But I won't object if he does indeed make it.

Swashcuff
03-08-2010, 02:50 PM

then you got tons of hoffers that played just ONE side of the court , the offensie one like Maravich.

So why dont player wich play outstandingly the Other side of the court dont deserve it?.

Because he did not do it for a long enough period. Just my opinion but he just had his peak and that was it. His peak is indeed HOF worthy but his entire career isn't. It's call the Basketball Hall of Fame not the Defensive Hall of Fame. He was a BEAST on D in his prime one of the best ever but his prime didn't last long enough. Pistons HOF no doubt, NBA HOF ahhhhh Na!

Swashcuff
03-08-2010, 02:51 PM
I am biased because I'm a Detroiter but I definitely think he should get in. The guy won the DPOY award 4 times. Was the defensive anchor on a championship team. Plus I remember a run when the Pistons were destroying all the defensive records and streaks while they were at their best. Remember he is 6'9", you can't expect him to play at a high level for a long time like Kareem, Shaq or Motombo because his game was based on athleticism not size.

Fixed

sep11ie
03-08-2010, 03:06 PM

I'm pretty sure LeBron's already in.

Nighthawk
03-08-2010, 03:10 PM
No Dennis Rodman in the HOF

DEFINITELY no Ben Wallace.

Swashcuff
03-08-2010, 03:18 PM
No Dennis Rodman in the HOF

DEFINITELY no Ben Wallace.

You must be basing no rodman on his none basketball exploits right?

J-Relo
03-08-2010, 03:54 PM
Yes, ring and Dpoy ?

jmtapia
03-08-2010, 05:07 PM
great defensive career but not a chance.

xbrackattackx
03-08-2010, 07:26 PM
I would love to see Mutumbo make it and Rodman, both are amazing players.

JasonJohnHorn
03-08-2010, 07:48 PM
People get too hung up on offence. He dominated the defensive end of the floor for the better part of a decade in the NBA and nobody in the history of the league has won more DPOY awards. EVER! And he was the best rebounder of his generation. Nobody playing today has posted rebounding averages higher than Big Ben.

Few people accomplish what Big Ben has inhis career, especially considering he went undrafted. He is a special player that has done things most players never will, was as dominant of defence as anybody in his generation was on offence, was the only guy who could slow Shaq down in his prime and has been in the MVP dicussion a couple of times.

He may not have the highlight reels that guys like Carter, J-Rich and McGrady have, but lets face, he's done things none of those players have, and I'm not just talking about winning a ring, or about being on a contender for several years running, but also the dominante rebounding number and dominant defensive perforamance he has put on.

There is no doubt in my mind that he will be in the HOF. Perhaps not a first ballot, but people who know the game, and players who have played against Ben, know that he deserves a place alongside of the greatest players of all time, even if ESPN doesn't have him on the highlights every day.

whitekimbo
03-08-2010, 08:06 PM
hes terrible. he cant even shoot a ball.

sargon21
03-08-2010, 08:08 PM
absolutely not

TheDetroitBlue
03-08-2010, 08:09 PM
If there's a definition of hardest worker he should be right next to it undrafted dominated for the better part of the decade he is the shortest man ever to reach 2000 blocks he helped upset the lakers in 04 and he has one of the biggest man blocks I've seen on shaq it's a toss up for me

TheDetroitBlue
03-08-2010, 08:13 PM
hes terrible. he cant even shoot a ball.

Bad offensive yea but defensively hell no

ldc62
03-08-2010, 08:24 PM
If Rodman doesn't get in then neither should Wallace. I voted yes: Wallace has 1 championship, few ASG appearances, All NBA teams, DPOY a few times.

Angel2Maverick
03-08-2010, 08:27 PM
nope, but he had a great defensive career

JNA17
03-08-2010, 08:35 PM
beast defender, offense....not so much....

Pierzynski4Prez
03-08-2010, 08:36 PM

If you read my post correctly, you would have seen that I said I have no problem with a guy getting in based off defense. Its the length of time that Wallace was at the top is why I don't think he should get in.

Swashcuff
03-08-2010, 08:41 PM
If you read my post correctly, you would have seen that I said I have no problem with a guy getting in based off defense. Its the length of time that Wallace was at the top is why I don't think he should get in.

thats all thats needs to be said he was great but not over an extended period of time. Thats all. One of the greatest defensive players ever..... AT HIS PEAK ONLY! Not throughout his entire career.

fishfan79
03-08-2010, 08:50 PM
not even close

shep33
03-08-2010, 08:53 PM
I like him but no. You can't just put anybody in the HOF, Ben was good, but there have been a lot of players like him that were also better offensively. Mutumbo was slightly better offensively and from the line, and also one of the greatest defensive players of all time. I'd have Mutumbo, and Rodman easily ahead of him. He really only had 5 great years, so IMO nah not even close.

Rodman better get in, or the NBA is terrible. You can't even compare Wallace and Rodman, and there is still talk going around that Dennis might not get in.

KnicksorBust
03-08-2010, 09:54 PM
I like him but no. You can't just put anybody in the HOF, Ben was good, but there have been a lot of players like him that were also better offensively. Mutumbo was slightly better offensively and from the line, and also one of the greatest defensive players of all time. I'd have Mutumbo, and Rodman easily ahead of him. He really only had 5 great years, so IMO nah not even close.

Rodman better get in, or the NBA is terrible. You can't even compare Wallace and Rodman, and there is still talk going around that Dennis might not get in.

Yeah I forgot about all those 4-Time Defensive Player of the Years. They just grow on trees these days. :rolleyes:

Detroit HoF - Yes
Basketball HoF - Yes
Afro HoF - HELL YES!

Synyster89
03-08-2010, 10:01 PM
I actually thought this thread was gunna be a joke when I opened it...how can you even consider Ben Wallace to be in the HOF, he has zero offensive ability what so ever. And less than 50% at the line for his career, it would be an utter embarassment to the NBA and the rest of the players in the hall if he were ever elected in.

TheDetroitBlue
03-08-2010, 10:12 PM
I actually thought this thread was gunna be a joke when I opened it...how can you even consider Ben Wallace to be in the HOF, he has zero offensive ability what so ever. And less than 50% at the line for his career, it would be an utter embarassment to the NBA and the rest of the players in the hall if he were ever elected in.

How would it be an utter embarresment when you gave a guy who was undrafted and made himself into the beast he was by himself one of the hardest workers to ever play the game I don't know about that but that isn't an embarrasment, if he doesn't make the hall fine but you should not call it an utter embarrasment

Swashcuff
03-09-2010, 07:03 PM
I am biased because I'm a Detroiter but I definitely think he should get in. The guy won the DPOY award 4 times. Was the anchor on a championship team. Plus I remember a run when the Pistons were destroying all the defensive records and streaks while they were at their best. Remember he is 6'9", you can't expect him to play at a high level for a long time like Kareem, Shaq or Motombo because his game was based on athleticism not size.

Rodman was 6'8, Barkley was 6'5 Russell was 6'9 1/2. They all played at a high level (literally) for a long period of time.

Tommyh1331
03-09-2010, 07:16 PM
Mutombo and Rodman were dominant for years, Big Ben was dominant for 3 maybe 4 years