PDA

View Full Version : Voters discuss ROY

sacgiants1213
03-08-2010, 02:39 AM
I don’t like to be the one who brings bad news to Warriors fans. But there’s something that’s needs to be addressed before it goes any further.

You’re hearing it more and more these days, whether it’s on Warriors broadcasts or here and there on the radio. And you’re seeing it, too, every once in a while on the Internet and in newspapers.

There seems to be some buzz -- in the Bay Area anyway -- that Warriors guard Stephen Curry is putting some pressure on Sacramento’s Tyreke Evans for the NBA’s Rookie of the Year Award.

Sorry. Not a chance.

How do I know? Because I’ve been hearing the Curry talk, too, and decided to solicit some information from the people who really matter when it comes to this issue: the media.

Writers make the call on the Rookie of the Year award. And they’re the ones saying Evans is a lock. In fact, the real competition seems to be for second place, between Curry and Milwaukee’s Brandon Jennings.

Here’s a sampling of what various writers from around the country said when I asked them if Curry was making any headway on Evans.

Central Division beat writer: “Curry is a distant third behind Evans and Jennings. The other two guys have better numbers, except Jennings’ shooting percentage, and the Warriors have a worse record than the Kings and Bucks.”

National Internet writer: “Curry has too much ground to make up … better chance of Jennings catching Evans because of Bucks success.”

NBA.com writer: “Curry has been nothing short of brilliant now that we’ve gotten the full scope of what he can do. But Evans has been leading the pack for so long it would take a solid month-and-a-half of lights-out performance from Curry and a major meltdown from Evans for me to consider moving Curry ahead of Evans.”

Southeast Division beat writer: “No doubt Curry deserves serious consideration. I think Evans is still the front-runner, but it’s a closer race than ever between him, Curry and Jennings.

“One wild card: If Bucks make the playoffs, does that become the tie-breaker for Jennings in a close race?”

National Internet writer: “Evans has the award locked up. With Curry’s recent outburst, you could definitely make the case he’s surpassed Jennings for the No. 2 spot. I just don’t see any way he beats out Evans, who’s basically averaging 20-5-5.

“If he can finish there, he’ll do something that only three rookies have done in the history of the league: Michael Jordan, Oscar Robertson, LeBron James.”

Northwest Division beat writer: “Evans is the runaway winner. I’d put Curry second over Jennings, who has faded after his initial burst.”

National Internet writer: “The trophy already has Evans’ name on it. That’s a no-brainer. I do see Curry having a good chance overtaking Jennings for second.”

Central Division beat writer: “I think Evans is clearly in the league, but Curry might have moved into second place. Jennings has dropped off a bit in my eyes after the fabulous start. Curry is definitely making a strong push at the right time, but will have a hard time catching Evans.”

NBA.com writer: “Right now I’d put Curry third but moving up with a quarter of the season to go. Not fully decided yet.”

http://www.csnbayarea.com/03/03/10/Kings-Evans-Not-Curry-for-Rookie-Honors/landing.html?blockID=190256&feedID=2799CSNBayArea.com

Vinny642
03-08-2010, 02:41 AM
Whats there to discuss?
Its over. I might just make the sig tomorrow lol

jmtapia
03-08-2010, 02:43 AM
about the only people that think anyone else has a shot are Warrior fans... they do bring up good points but Evans has been a beast from about the 4th or 5th game in the season. After that i think hes had like 2-3 off nights...

Meth
03-08-2010, 02:49 AM
Curry still needs to develope to become a "solid player". Right now, I think he's improving quite a lot, and I'm impressed.

But Evans has the award locked up. Seriously. He's been solid all-year long and there's no question he deserves the award.

Improving vs already improved

tredigs
03-08-2010, 03:34 AM
"Central Division beat writer: “Curry is a distant third behind Evans and Jennings. The other two guys have better numbers, except Jennings’ shooting percentage, and the Warriors have a worse record than the Kings and Bucks.”

^ Hahhahaha WHAT?? Curry has the stats lead over Jennings in points per game, rebounds, FG%, FT%, 3p%, +-, steals, yada yada yada. Leads Tyreke in a lot of those cats also.

It's actually kind of funny to me how clueless and easily manipulated most media members are. The fact Jennings, the player with a 36% field goal percentage --which is third worst in all of the NBA-- is still considered by some to be either above Curry, or possibly ahead of Evans is beyond ridiculous. The kid is fun to watch, but anybody who shoots 36% is a closer candidate to the D-league than ROY in my opinion.

jlee3936
03-08-2010, 03:37 AM
rodrigue beaubois for ROY

ZebraCity916
03-08-2010, 04:05 AM
^^^^Good luck with that.

Check my sig for my opinion.

montazingmvp
03-08-2010, 04:48 AM
some of the things these media members wrote were beyond asinine...

do they watch basketball, or even pay the slightest bit of attention to stats...the one's that matter that is...

the real question for this thread is, if these are the people who are voting for these awards...then should there really be any significance whatsoever as to who wins them?

honestly, anyone who thinks jennings is anywhere close to curry in the roy race should be banned from all basketball related things...

jmtapia
03-08-2010, 04:50 AM
honestly, anyone who thinks jennings is anywhere close to curry in the roy race should be banned from all basketball related things...

agreed. but anyone that thinks Curry deserves the award more then Evans should also be banned.

tredigs
03-08-2010, 05:14 AM
agreed. but anyone that thinks Curry deserves the award more then Evans should also be banned.

Why?

I'd still give Reke the nod over Curry RIGHT NOW, but the discrepancy between 'em isn't nearly as much as Curry over Jennings. Being that Steph has outplayed him overall in their head to heads, and their numbers are probably going to be damn similar overall if Steph keeps up this pace ('Reke averaging slightly more points, with curry having better 3p/FT% and more steals), then I can't see why people would have 'Reke as some huge favorite over Curry. If you have some legit reasons, spill them for me...

disclaimer: I'm a Warriors fan. But I'm trying to be objective here.

montazingmvp
03-08-2010, 05:34 AM
Why?

I'd still give Reke the nod over Curry RIGHT NOW, but the discrepancy between 'em isn't nearly as much as Curry over Jennings. Being that Steph has outplayed him overall in their head to heads, and their numbers are probably going to be damn similar overall if Steph keeps up this pace ('Reke averaging slightly more points, with curry having better 3p/FT% and more steals), then I can't see why people would have 'Reke as some huge favorite over Curry. If you have some legit reasons, spill them for me...

if i could rec you i would...

your opinion pretty much mirror mine....

tyreke is in the lead now, but the race is not over yet...

jmtapia
03-08-2010, 05:41 AM
Why?

The reason why Evans is a huge favorite is bc just like you would give him the nod so would about 90% of the voters. The season isnt over but as it stands Evans has been better...

While Curry has come out strong its not like Evans is hitting any kind of wall. Evans has kept putting up big numbers month after month and has the Kings competing night in night out.

Just do your HW and scroll through the NBA forum. Weve been discussing it all night.

robbnen#31
03-08-2010, 05:50 AM
I'm also a warriors fan and I have been very surprised by Curry's performance so far. I believe Evans deserves the ROY over Curry, but I do have to give Curry a lot of credit for learning and adapting so quickly. He turned himself into a legitimate point guard of the future and (from what I read on a post in the Warriors board) Curry hadn't played point guard since his sophomore year of high school, prior to this season.

tredigs
03-08-2010, 06:00 AM
The reason why Evans is a huge favorite is bc just like you would give him the nod so would about 90% of the voters. The season isnt over but as it stands Evans has been better...

While Curry has come out strong its not like Evans is hitting any kind of wall. Evans has kept putting up big numbers month after month and has the Kings competing night in night out.

Just do your HW and scroll through the NBA forum. Weve been discussing it all night.

"Giving someone the nod" doesn't equate to being a huge favorite my friend. I think it's very close already as to who has been the best player between the two this year, and will only get closer.

I personally think that RIGHT NOW, Collison is actually playing the best ball of any of the rookies, with Curry just behind him, and Tyreke a close 3rd. That said, I DO think you have to account for the whole season, so Collison can't get it, but I think that Curry has been good enough for long enough now if he continues to play like he has been, then he can eclipse Tyreke's consistency and be the ROY.

If you're going to throw in the team argument, then you have to account for the fact that the Warriors might have the most injury riddled roster of any sports organization in the history of man, and STILL only have 5 more losses than the Kings, thanks in large part to Curry. He's been the ONLY consistent force on their team this year. Monta/Randolph/Azabuike/Morrow/Biedrens/Maggette all have either gone down for huge stretches with injury, or are out for the year period. Curry has been their rock.