PDA

View Full Version : Setting Sun

Anon
03-07-2010, 11:41 PM
The same day the Magic and Lakers battle it out the Celtics finish the night in an epic battle with the Washington Wizards. I know this will not be popular with Celtic Fan but Boston is not elite anymore. Too old, too slow, time to rebuild.

Raph12
03-07-2010, 11:46 PM
I agree but I think they could make it interesting with the Cavs in round 2.

bal_ravens
03-08-2010, 12:04 AM
Yeah, this Wizards team really doesnt embarrass me actually. Thorton and Blatche hustle so much. This team has a future.

LakeShowRaider
03-08-2010, 12:07 AM
I think Celts could still make the finals if they get their **** together.

Anon
03-08-2010, 09:00 AM
After the game the Celtics were talking about how the Wizards were making every shot. They scored 83 points.:facepalm:

JasonJohnHorn
03-08-2010, 09:29 AM
I think we've all heard this enough times now. They have lost to the Pistons, 76ers, Clippers, and Warriors (among others), but they have not been healthy and the best front court players has been playing his fewest minutes since his rookie season. Doc Rivers did this his first two season with Garnett as well for the express purpose on not putting too much wear and tear on his older players before the playoffs come around. When the do arrive Garnett's minutes will likely be up to the mid to late 30's (as they were on the '08 run).

I know being "healthy" is part of the issue, but during the regular season some repeat teams (like the Lakers from 2000-2003 period) played guys like Shaq fewer minutes in the regular season and let them rest game (like the Mavs did with Kidd this year, and the Spurs have done with Duncan), so that they can pace themselves throughout the year and be ready and healthy for the regular season. The result? Less impressive regular season records. Rivers can do what Flip Saunders did in Detroit (play his five best players at 35+ minutes a game and watch them peter out in the conference finals against a lesser Cavs squad), or like D'Antoni did in Phoenix (play his five best guys almost 40 minutes each a game and watch them peter out in the playoffs), or he can do what Phil Jackson has done, and Pat Riley, and Greg Popvich, and that is keep a competative team on the floor, but let your key guys get some rest and when the playoffs roll around you will know which role players have the chops to step up and your vets with be fresh and healthy and have enough in the tank to make a deep playoff run.

I'm not saying the Celtics will win it all, far from it. But all these posts saying that Boston is old and over the hill and too slow, this is just jumping the gun. If this team is healthy when the playoffs role around, and Rondo plays like he played last season, and Perkins keeps up the solid ball he's been playing, and Garnett get a few more minutes a game, then Pierce is going to dominate every match-up he gets outside of LBJ (and against LBJ he will be the one player at that position who is most likely to keep up with him) and Ray Allen will be there to knock down open jumpers when Pierce or Rondo are getting double team. And with Daniels, Wallace and Finely coming off the bench, these guys have some depth that can shoot, rebound and play defence.

These guys are champions! Finely. Wallace. Rondo. Pierce. Garnett. Allen. Even Perkins and Davis. They know what it takes and they know their window is closing. Anybody who doesn't think these guys can pull 7 games out of the Cavs or the Lakers and even potentially win, and anybody who thinks these guys are going out early is mistaken. I freely admit that a series against Orlando or the Cavs will spell trouble for these guys, but the bottom line is Wallace has schooled Howard twice now and has help he didn't have when he was in Detroit in Perkins and even Davis, Garnett is still a great rebounder and can still hit a jumper, Pierce is still the second best SF in the game, Allen still has one of the sweetest shots in the league and Rondo is still one of the best young point guards around. These guys have a great team.

I'm not a Celtics fan, and I'm not even picking them to get to the finals let alone win it, but this team is not "too old" and not "too slow", and when the playoffs roll around I'm not going to be the least bit surprised if this squad is in the conference finals against the Cavs or even in the NBA finals for that matter. They have the toold to compete with and beat the best teams in this league and unless an injury put Rondo, Pierce, Garnett or Allen on the shelf, they have a serious chance to win it all.

Like Rudy T. said: Never underestimate the heart of a champion.

That said they may want to move Allen for Hamilton this off season ;)

avrpatsfan
03-08-2010, 09:54 AM
After the game the Celtics were talking about how the Wizards were making every shot. They scored 83 points.:facepalm:

Did you watch the game? In the first half they were making every shot. I have to say, the Celtics are bored right now. They are taking teams too lightly. Come playoff time, this better change or we have have no chance. I see the veterans on this team get together with the rest of this team and make sure everybody is on the same page. Doc is a bad coach but he has done a good job of resting our older players for the playoffs. A previous poster mentioned something like this too. If we're all healthy for the playoffs, then I like our chances against any team, except for Atlanta :)

mikantsass
03-08-2010, 10:12 AM
This is the first time all year they have everyone on the team healthy and playing. They do look extremely bored at times and that scares me, but they are still an elite team in the NBA. The elite teams in the league all have losses to teams that they "should" have beat. The reality is that every team in the league has NBA talent, and almost any team can win on any given night in the regular season.

Anon
03-08-2010, 10:22 AM
Bored only works before the all-star break. Not coming down the stretch when you are in the middle of a battle for playoff seeding. You cannot tell me every time one of the big 3 falls down you are not terrified that they just suffered a season ending injury.

RadiantShot
03-08-2010, 10:24 AM
Don't see 'The heart of a champion' any longer in the once victorious Boston Celtics. Injured, or not.

clutchski
03-08-2010, 10:28 AM
I still see them showing up for at least the early rounds of the playoffs; not sure how they'd fair in the ECF and finals.

mikantsass
03-08-2010, 10:40 AM
Bored only works before the all-star break. Not coming down the stretch when you are in the middle of a battle for playoff seeding. You cannot tell me every time one of the big 3 falls down you are not terrified that they just suffered a season ending injury.

Only Garnett. Pierce misses a game here and there but for the most part is a warrior and plays well through injuries. Ray Allen is a top 5 guy in the league in terms of being in shape.

I agree with you that now is not the time for this team to look bored, but they still are an elite team in the league. They have 40 wins and are 3rd in the East.

masalex1205
03-08-2010, 10:40 AM
Celts should have gotten something in return for Ray Allen's big expiring

kurivaimu
03-08-2010, 10:52 AM
i think we've all heard this enough times now. They have lost to the pistons, 76ers, clippers, and warriors (among others), but they have not been healthy and the best front court players has been playing his fewest minutes since his rookie season. Doc rivers did this his first two season with garnett as well for the express purpose on not putting too much wear and tear on his older players before the playoffs come around. When the do arrive garnett's minutes will likely be up to the mid to late 30's (as they were on the '08 run).

I know being "healthy" is part of the issue, but during the regular season some repeat teams (like the lakers from 2000-2003 period) played guys like shaq fewer minutes in the regular season and let them rest game (like the mavs did with kidd this year, and the spurs have done with duncan), so that they can pace themselves throughout the year and be ready and healthy for the regular season. The result? Less impressive regular season records. Rivers can do what flip saunders did in detroit (play his five best players at 35+ minutes a game and watch them peter out in the conference finals against a lesser cavs squad), or like d'antoni did in phoenix (play his five best guys almost 40 minutes each a game and watch them peter out in the playoffs), or he can do what phil jackson has done, and pat riley, and greg popvich, and that is keep a competative team on the floor, but let your key guys get some rest and when the playoffs roll around you will know which role players have the chops to step up and your vets with be fresh and healthy and have enough in the tank to make a deep playoff run.

I'm not saying the celtics will win it all, far from it. But all these posts saying that boston is old and over the hill and too slow, this is just jumping the gun. If this team is healthy when the playoffs role around, and rondo plays like he played last season, and perkins keeps up the solid ball he's been playing, and garnett get a few more minutes a game, then pierce is going to dominate every match-up he gets outside of lbj (and against lbj he will be the one player at that position who is most likely to keep up with him) and ray allen will be there to knock down open jumpers when pierce or rondo are getting double team. And with daniels, wallace and finely coming off the bench, these guys have some depth that can shoot, rebound and play defence.

These guys are champions! Finely. Wallace. Rondo. Pierce. Garnett. Allen. Even perkins and davis. They know what it takes and they know their window is closing. Anybody who doesn't think these guys can pull 7 games out of the cavs or the lakers and even potentially win, and anybody who thinks these guys are going out early is mistaken. I freely admit that a series against orlando or the cavs will spell trouble for these guys, but the bottom line is wallace has schooled howard twice now and has help he didn't have when he was in detroit in perkins and even davis, garnett is still a great rebounder and can still hit a jumper, pierce is still the second best sf in the game, allen still has one of the sweetest shots in the league and rondo is still one of the best young point guards around. These guys have a great team.

I'm not a celtics fan, and i'm not even picking them to get to the finals let alone win it, but this team is not "too old" and not "too slow", and when the playoffs roll around i'm not going to be the least bit surprised if this squad is in the conference finals against the cavs or even in the nba finals for that matter. They have the toold to compete with and beat the best teams in this league and unless an injury put rondo, pierce, garnett or allen on the shelf, they have a serious chance to win it all.

Like rudy t. Said: Never underestimate the heart of a champion.

That said they may want to move allen for hamilton this off season ;)

great post +1

GodsSon
03-08-2010, 12:41 PM
I can see an upstart and hungry team like the Bucks/Raptors/Bobcats knocking them out in the first round

ElMarroAfamado
03-08-2010, 04:29 PM
everyone is already counting them out...I also agree that they are done...which is going to make it that much more exciting to see them in the first around because everyone will probably be cheering against them.

Chronz
03-08-2010, 05:02 PM
but but but they won and winnin is all that matters