PDA

View Full Version : ESPN's LeBron bias

Right Round
03-06-2010, 06:59 PM
So I'm writing a paper on ESPN's bias and I'm using LeBron as an example. Points I have are that he had a very undeserving top 10 play of the decade, the fact he had high school games on ESPN, being on the cover of ESPN magazine, and having the #2 top 10 play on 3/1 despite the play not counting. Can anyone else think of examples of how they're biased towards LeBron? Any other NBA bias examples are good too, thanks.

PC
03-06-2010, 07:00 PM
Didn't they have a top 25 LeBron play countdown when he turned 25?

prodigy
03-06-2010, 07:01 PM
lol. You must be really bored.

Write about how they only talk about the yankee's and redsox during baseball season.

footballer2369
03-06-2010, 07:04 PM
it's not a bias...

prodigy
03-06-2010, 07:04 PM

Yes, they have only done that for Lebron. No other player ever in history of life but Lebron. Although they just had Kobe clutch plays a few weeks ago. But no that never happened.

Some people can be so bias, that they move them selfs from reality. Kinda funny really.

philab
03-06-2010, 07:05 PM
Haha, a #2 Top Play on some random day is your third best argument?

I see a D in your future.

The Jokemaker
03-06-2010, 07:05 PM
Maybe look up if they play more Cleveland games on ESPN than on average. More interviews, air time something like that. Can you blame them though? Lebron is the best player in the league... its kind of expected. And the thing about the top 10 plays, that's all based on opinion anyway.

MacFitz92
03-06-2010, 07:09 PM
You need to talk about how all ESPN talks about is the Lakers.

madiaz3
03-06-2010, 07:11 PM
You need to talk about how all ESPN talks about is the Lakers.

Yeah, they talk about the defending TEAM champs on ESPN, Wow! Not just one player on a team.

Jaji
03-06-2010, 07:19 PM

:laugh:

NYtilIdie
03-06-2010, 07:22 PM

this

Jaji
03-06-2010, 07:23 PM
How dare a sports station spend time talking about the best player in a particular sport :rolleyes:.

NYK_kidd77
03-06-2010, 07:26 PM
I would change the paper from a Lebron bias to just talking about a group of selected teams/players.

dougie5627
03-06-2010, 07:33 PM
compare how the best player in nfl mlb and mls getting airtime in comparison to lebron. if there is no clear evidence that in every sport the best player gets the same amount of airtime then u got no argument.

Right Round
03-06-2010, 08:24 PM

I'm pretty sure that will cover maybe like three sentences in this short paper. And LeBron is just a small portion of the paper. Considering that I go to a very good school, I think I know what I'm doing. I don't need some random moron's sarcastic comments. The only thing you would get an A in is having 2,000 useless posts.

heathonater
03-06-2010, 08:49 PM
ouch.

KBfrom8to24
03-06-2010, 09:30 PM
So I'm writing a paper on ESPN's bias and I'm using LeBron as an example. Points I have are that he had a very undeserving top 10 play of the decade, the fact he had high school games on ESPN, being on the cover of ESPN magazine, and having the #2 top 10 play on 3/1 despite the play not counting. Can anyone else think of examples of how they're biased towards LeBron? Any other NBA bias examples are good too, thanks.

You have to admit the truth, LBJ is ESPN's puppet. He is always the best in their eyes.

D Roses Bulls
03-06-2010, 09:39 PM

lmao, i think they did. wow that is sad

D Roses Bulls
03-06-2010, 09:41 PM
How dare a sports station spend time talking about the best player in a particular sport :rolleyes:.

what? when did they talk about kobe or someone who actually won a ring? did i miss it?

bigsams50
03-06-2010, 09:42 PM
what? when did they talk about kobe or someone who actually won a ring? did i miss it?

Dude dont turn this into another LBJ Kobe thread. We have 2 many of those already

D Roses Bulls
03-06-2010, 09:43 PM
Dude dont turn this into another LBJ Kobe thread. We have 2 many of those already

i said, or anyone else who actually won a ring such as wade who always plays so well when playing against the cavs

Reyes6
03-06-2010, 09:48 PM
What you could do is state how sports use individuals for advertisements when it is actually supposed to be a 'TEAM' effort and how it reflects our individualistic society. Or just complain about LeBron... but if you do, be sure to complain about Kobe as well.

Or how the Luxury Tax affects some teams and some owners are billionaires and can care less.

Or how the salary cap is not even close to being a hard cap.

And that attempted diss you had... was awful. At least he didn't say an F in your future, he was nice.

D Roses Bulls
03-06-2010, 09:48 PM
if lebron goes to the knicks next year, do you think espn will give him his own webiste? ESPNLebron.com

masalex1205
03-06-2010, 10:09 PM

haha exactly

ARMIN12NBA
03-06-2010, 10:21 PM
They have given inaccurate stats on Mr. LeBJ. Also, at the end of 2008, ESPN did a montage recap of 2008 at the end of the year. Lebron got the most highlights in this montage as well as a segment in the montage entitled "King." All of this despite the fact that the Celtics won the championship and Kobe won MVP. There was only one Bryant highlight, but there was not even a section of the montage titled "MVP" to commemorate Bryant's season.

Pharoe18
03-06-2010, 10:34 PM
It's not biased. LeBron is the best, most exciting player in the NBA.

Raven-Lunatic
03-06-2010, 10:50 PM
Just because Lebron is the most "exciting" doesn't make him the best player. To be honest with you I think he gets away with too many calls and travels way too much to be considered the best. ESPN is very biased and it's not just with Lebron, they go on and on about Kobe at times too.

JasonJohnHorn
03-06-2010, 11:05 PM
Networks naturally promote popular athletes. Its not a "bias", its a common practice for all popular athletes. They showed his highschool games because people wanted to watch them. There was hype surrounding James in his junior year, and Sports illustrated had promoted him while in highschool too. That was just something media outlets do.

As for commentators, when I watch games, they all express their opinions, like Jon Barry always goes on about how awesome the Lakers are. He thinks they are great (and they are). Its not a bias any more than it is a bias when local teams like Memphis, Detroit and Oklahoma promote when LBJ or Kobe is coming to town. Those guys are draws and help sell out road games, just like Jordan did back in the day.

Do top tier athleres get more face time than average athletes? Yes. Of course. The Indiana Pacers wouldnt advertise "Scott Hastings Is Coming To Town" when Detroit was coming through back in the early 90's, but they would promote Jordan. Its just common sense.

But if you are looking for an LBJ "bias", I guess you could site the night after the Knicks/Cavs game where LBJ sat the 4th quarter and rather than showing highlights of the 4th quarter (which was a blow out) they showed highlights of LBJ picking his nose and biting his nails.

If you want bias, listent to local commentators (I've caught a couple Chi-Town games on cable and their commentators HORRIBLE!!!!), and the New York commentators are EXTREMELY bias.... toward James. I still can't believe they were screaming "we're not worthy" during James romping of their own team?!?!?!?!?!! Seriously, WTF?

If yuo want "bias", hit up Fox News. You'll know what bias is then.

Mrphilly
03-06-2010, 11:07 PM
Tv is about ratings!!!! What is so hard to understand about that. Of course you see Lebron a lot. Do you want them to cover each team and player equally? That is just dumb. Nobody cares about the sixers, wizards, nets and several other teams. That is why you only see the stars on TV. I'm stasrting to see Kevin Durant more than any other player. So it looks like your paper is leaning towards a F!!!!

KBfrom8to24
03-07-2010, 12:17 AM
It's not biased. LeBron is the best, most exciting player in the NBA.

I agree Lebron is the best player today, here is the proof:
- winning 5 NBA Titles
- 2 times Finals MVP
- 2 times regular MVP
- 4 times ALL-STAR MVP
- 3 times scoring champion
- 9 times ALL-DEFENSIVE 1st team
- scored 82 in a single game
- scored 63 in 3 Quarters
- scored 13 3-pointers in a single game
- scored 10 successive 3- pointers without a miss in a single game
- Player of the Decade
- 2 times Slum-Dunk champion
- carried Kobe & company to an Olympic Gold Medal
(obviously Kobe & Co. would have settled for Bronze only without Lebron)
- scored 50 plus 5 times
- scored 60 plus 6 times
- scored 62 in Madison Square Garden
- hitting 6 game winners this season and counting
- cannot continue anymore...

JasonJohnHorn
03-07-2010, 12:53 AM
KBfrom8to24, I am assuming that you are actually saying Kobe is the best? But he's only actually got 4 rings and 1 finals MVP. But he got picked up by a contender on draft night, where as LBJ got drafted by the worst team in the league and had them in the NBA finals in just 4 years (that would be 4 years quicker than Jordan got the Bulls to the finals) and helped his team improve by almost 20 games his rookie season (where as Kobe only helped his team improve by three games in his rookie year). If you want to talk about how Kobe has had more team success because he was drafted into a better situation and argue that Kobe is better than LBJ because of it, you might want to start your own LBJ v kobe thread (I don't think anybody has done that yet). This thread is about LBJ and ESPN's potential bias to him. You are just making your self sound like a homer that doesn't know his numbers. Not trying to be rude, just saying. Lets try to stay on topic, these Kobe and or LBJ bashing rants get annoying and I'm personally tired or reading the same arguement over and over (especially when the numbers aren't even right).

PC
03-07-2010, 01:01 AM
i agree lebron is the best player today, here is the proof:
- winning 5 nba titles
- 2 times finals mvp
- 2 times regular mvp
- 4 times all-star mvp
- 9 times all-defensive 1st team
- scored 63 in 3 quarters
- player of the decade
- 2 times slum-dunk champion
- carried kobe & company to an olympic gold medal
(obviously kobe & co. Would have settled for bronze only without lebron)
- scored 50 plus 5 times
- scored 60 plus 6 times
- scored 62 in madison square garden

ARMIN12NBA
03-07-2010, 01:20 AM
KBfrom8to24, I am assuming that you are actually saying Kobe is the best? But he's only actually got 4 rings and 1 finals MVP.

Look at the list. The entire list is Kobe's achievements + 1. He is saying Lebron has to one up Kobe for him to believe Lebron is better.

But he got picked up by a contender on draft night, where as LBJ got drafted by the worst team in the league and had them in the NBA finals in just 4 years (that would be 4 years quicker than Jordan got the Bulls to the finals) and helped his team improve by almost 20 games his rookie season (where as Kobe only helped his team improve by three games in his rookie year).

True, but then we can argue about how the statistics are skewed because Kobe didn't play as much early in his career (as Kobe did not start off a starter because of Del Harris' dislike for rookies-Kobe; Kobe was actually revered by teammates as being better than Eddie at the time).

D Roses Bulls
03-07-2010, 01:52 AM
KBfrom8to24, I am assuming that you are actually saying Kobe is the best? But he's only actually got 4 rings and 1 finals MVP. But he got picked up by a contender on draft night, where as LBJ got drafted by the worst team in the league and had them in the NBA finals in just 4 years (that would be 4 years quicker than Jordan got the Bulls to the finals) and helped his team improve by almost 20 games his rookie season (where as Kobe only helped his team improve by three games in his rookie year). If you want to talk about how Kobe has had more team success because he was drafted into a better situation and argue that Kobe is better than LBJ because of it, you might want to start your own LBJ v kobe thread (I don't think anybody has done that yet). This thread is about LBJ and ESPN's potential bias to him. You are just making your self sound like a homer that doesn't know his numbers. Not trying to be rude, just saying. Lets try to stay on topic, these Kobe and or LBJ bashing rants get annoying and I'm personally tired or reading the same arguement over and over (especially when the numbers aren't even right).

thats wrong. lakers werent even in the playoffs before the draft and didnt sign shaq till after this. even so, it took the lakers 4 years after to even reach the conference finals in the west. so no they werent a contender when they drafted kobe

Sox Appeal
03-07-2010, 02:15 AM
- winning 5 nba titles

4? 3 of those he wasn't the #1 option, the other he had the best supporting cast in the league. Do you really not think LeBron couldn't have won those rings?

- 2 times finals mvp
He's won it once.

- 2 times regular mvp
He's won it once. LeBron is about to become the 9th player ever to win back-to-back MVPs though.

- 4 times all-star mvp
He's won it 3 times, LeBron has won twice. LeBron has won it 33% of the time, Kobe has won it 25% of the time.

He's won two scoring titles. LeBron has one it once, and very easily could win again next year. It's also worth pointing out, the year LeBron won his scoring title he finished with a TS% of .568, which is superior to what Kobe posted in both of his scoring title years.

- 9 times all-defensive 1st team
He's a 7 time all-defensive team member, not 9. Regardless though, that's still VERY impressive. Mad props to Kobe here.

- scored 63 in 3 quarters
Granted, these are exceptional games, but they're only one game. Which isn't, IMO, the best criteria to judge a player. I mean, LBJ has had some historic games as well. First player since '73 to have a 40-15-10 game, First player since Kareem (in '77 I believe) to record a 50-11-9 in a single game, etc

- player of the decade
I didn't know we were talking about Tim Duncan.

- 2 times slum-dunk champion
He's won it once. Nate Robinson though, has won it twice. So I guess that means he's better then Kobe?

- carried kobe & company to an olympic gold medal
(obviously kobe & co. Would have settled for bronze only without lebron)
lolmkay.

- scored 50 plus 5 times
- scored 60 plus 6 times
- scored 62 in madison square garden
Like I said above, these are terrific performances, but they're only one individual game.

Mad props to Kobe here. For the first time in his career, he's living up to his reputation on these GW shots.

KBfrom8to24
03-07-2010, 02:33 AM
[QUOTE=ARMIN12NBA;12527584]Look at the list. The entire list is Kobe's achievements + 1. He is saying Lebron has to one up Kobe for him to believe Lebron is better.

ARMIN12NBA, That's what I'm trying to point out for LBJ believers. Stats alone can't make a player the best. What if LBJ achieved all of those in the list? The next debate would be "Lebron Greatest Of All Time." instead of Lebron the greatest player this generation.

bigsams50
03-07-2010, 11:45 AM
I agree Lebron is the best player today, here is the proof:
- winning 5 NBA Titles
- 2 times Finals MVP
- 2 times regular MVP
- 4 times ALL-STAR MVP
- 9 times ALL-DEFENSIVE 1st team
- scored 63 in 3 Quarters
- Player of the Decade
- 2 times Slum-Dunk champion
- carried Kobe & company to an Olympic Gold Medal
(obviously Kobe & Co. would have settled for Bronze only without Lebron)
- scored 50 plus 5 times
- scored 60 plus 6 times
- scored 62 in Madison Square Garden

WOW, you try to bash LBJ yet you fail by posting Kobe's stats wrong.

Tony_Starks
03-07-2010, 12:29 PM
Another LeBron thread gets yet again derailed into another Kobe vs LeBron thread.... go figure?

Back to topic LeBron is one of the most popular player in all sports so why he not get plenty of coverage? Didn't Jordan? Doesn't Kobe?

As far as his high school games I actually went to one when they came out and played at Pauley Pavillion and there was more excitement there than some NBA games so it only made sense for ESPN to cover some of his games.

Ollie Tabooger
03-07-2010, 01:11 PM
WOW, you try to bash LBJ yet you fail by posting Kobe's stats wrong.

wow you and like 3 other people are ridiculous. He posted all of kobe's stats +1 saying that lebron would have to one up kobes stats to be considered as the best, as some guy before me already said.

ryanXpress
03-07-2010, 01:12 PM
hey man, I completely agree with your argument. Their favoritism of LeBron is somewhat out of control. For some suggestions ..

- Talk about how much they talk about him in the offseason, when he says he wants to play football, they go and show his high school football footage and his numbers and start hyping it up. (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4667259)

* 5 min video on something made up by ESPN and a comment by LBJ and a commercial.

- You can talk about a little comment about Lebron suddenly becomes a news story on the website. When they have nothing else to report, lets ask lebron what he thinks and make it the lead.

- The whole issue with Braylon Edwards assaulting Edward Givens.. that could have been it dome with it. But Braylon punched the wrong guy because it was a friend of LeBron. All the sudden Edward Givens name changed to Lebron James' friend and Braylon and Lebron had a beef. This story and fight most likely had nothing to do with Lebron until they interviewed him and lebron said that it was that he was jealous of him playing in the same city and everything. Then Braylon got traded to the jets and espn mentioned that lebron could have been the reason.

- If this is not enough you can talk about the leagues bias as well or mention it saying his fouls per game is extremely low to someone who plays as much as him and how he complains when he doesn't get a foul call.

magichatnumber9
03-07-2010, 01:21 PM
What if it were you hanging up on this wall. If that was you in this sandwich you wouldn't be laughing at all. Seriously though ESPN can't please everyone they are trying to get as much viewers as possible and the Timberwolves and the Bucks don't cut it.

Wilson
03-07-2010, 01:27 PM
I don't think this thread has the potential to be anything besides a player hate thread or a Kobe vs. LeBron thread so I'm going to close it.