PDA

View Full Version : What do Beasley, Mike Conley, and Gallo Have in Common?

Tony_Starks
03-05-2010, 09:38 PM
They were all relatively high first rounders. They were all highly heralded and praised coming into the NBA, B Easy the most. They all show flashes of the good players they COULD be. They have yet to play consistent, hard, and produce at a high level every night. They in all likelihood probably never will.

Sorry to say it but if you've watched them its true. Whatever they're going to be they would've done it already.

D-Amazins
03-05-2010, 09:55 PM
This has Pre-mature ejaculation written all over it.

Bulls_fan90
03-05-2010, 09:56 PM
What do Tony_Starks and this thread have in common? They're both failures.

sixer04fan
03-05-2010, 09:59 PM

someone's gettin a little excited there.. haha

GCOOKIE7
03-05-2010, 10:01 PM
Ironman!!!!!!

Corey
03-05-2010, 10:19 PM
Stop hating, everything he said was true.

All three of them have shown flashes of dominance, but can't play consistent.

jetsfan28
03-05-2010, 10:20 PM
Stop hating, everything he said was true.

All three of them have shown flashes of dominance, but can't play consistent.

It's Gallo's 2nd year (well, one and a half year). Beasley has been a 3rd option much of his career. This thread is WAY premature. Most players aren't consistent early in their careers.

What else do those guys have in common? Their roles are changed almost weekly so they CAN'T be consistent, and they are often thrust into larger roles than they should be when they aren't yet ready.

Corey
03-05-2010, 10:22 PM
It's Gallo's 2nd year (well, one and a half year). Beasley has been a 3rd option much of his career. This thread is WAY premature.

Either way, lottery picks are expected to come in and perform right from the start.

jetsfan28
03-05-2010, 10:23 PM
Either way, lottery picks are expected to come in and perform right from the start.

Says who? Lottery picks are often 19 and 20 year olds while the more polished players are picked later by teams looking to win now. That's why Blair goes in the 2nd and Collison goes 21, while Thabeet goes 2 and Rubio and Flynn go 5 and 6, the last 3 were thought to have more of a long term upside.

Corey
03-05-2010, 10:30 PM
Says who? Lottery picks are often 19 and 20 year olds while the more polished players are picked later by teams looking to win now. That's why Blair goes in the 2nd and Collison goes 21, while Thabeet goes 2 and Rubio and Flynn go 5 and 6, the last 3 were thought to have more of a long term upside.

I said they are EXPECTED to produce, that doesn't always happen. Why do you think Thabeet going to the D League was such a big story? Because he was expected to come in and produce.

The three players mentioned were pretty touted players on their respected teams pre-NBA, and it hasn't come to fruition as of yet. Can they still become consistent NBA players? Sure. Are they going to be elite? Probably not.

Premature to say? Maybe...Look at Joe Johnson and Chauncey Billups, but I agree with the OP, if they aren't doing it now with the opportunities presented...I'm not too optimistic about them living up to their hype.

Mrphilly
03-05-2010, 10:35 PM
Those are very good points. I declare you the winner.

What makes this thread a failure is the fact that he said they will NEVER play at a high level consistantly.

Unless you have a crystal ball, that is just a dumb statement.

Corey
03-05-2010, 10:38 PM
I agree saying NEVER is premature, but I agree with the notion that they aren't performing as many expected them to.

momoneyyyy
03-05-2010, 10:39 PM
if m beasley actually got some play time and was given some freedom he would actually do better.. i hate erik spolstra as a coach

jetsfan28
03-05-2010, 10:41 PM
I said they are EXPECTED to produce, that doesn't always happen. Why do you think Thabeet going to the D League was such a big story? Because he was expected to come in and produce.

The three players mentioned were pretty touted players on their respected teams pre-NBA, and it hasn't come to fruition as of yet. Can they still become consistent NBA players? Sure. Are they going to be elite? Probably not.

Premature to say? Maybe...Look at Joe Johnson and Chauncey Billups, but I agree with the OP, if they aren't doing it now with the opportunities presented...I'm not too optimistic about them living up to their hype.

No, they're not. You can't just make it a blanket statement like that. CERTAIN lottery picks are expected to come in and contribute immediately. Certain others aren't. Gallo had back problems that were going to force him to miss a ton of time, and is still only 21, it was known he might take time to contribute. Beasley is 21, and has switched between being a number 1, 2, 3, and 4 option almost weekly, of course he'll take some time to develop like that. Conley is a PG who came out after only 1 year (what else do these guys have in common? All very young) and wasn't put around good talent, of course it will take him some time to become a consistent PG.

The only lottery picks that are expected to contribute immediately are, well, the ones that are expected to contribute immediately. These guys were very young and put into inconsistent situations, if people expected them to contribute immediately than that is their fault, not the players'.

Corey
03-05-2010, 10:42 PM
if m beasley actually got some play time and was given some freedom he would actually do better.. i hate erik spolstra as a coach

He's not even playing too poorly. His 3 point shooting is pretty horrendous, but his overall fieldgoal percentage makes up for it.

He just isn't the franchise-type player everyone was hoping for.

Bulls_fan90
03-05-2010, 10:42 PM

Anyone who had scouted Thabeet knew he was a HUGE project. Jetsfan28 is spot on with all his points.

cubfan23
03-05-2010, 10:44 PM

I agree for the most part except in the Bulls case a few years ago when they drafted Tyrus Thomas. Everyone knew the potential was there but he was going to be such a project.

Corey
03-05-2010, 10:47 PM
No, they're not. You can't just make it a blanket statement like that. CERTAIN lottery picks are expected to come in and contribute immediately. Certain others aren't. Gallo had back problems that were going to force him to miss a ton of time, and is still only 21, it was known he might take time to contribute. Beasley is 21, and has switched between being a number 1, 2, 3, and 4 option almost weekly, of course he'll take some time to develop like that. Conley is a PG who came out after only 1 year (what else do these guys have in common? All very young) and wasn't put around good talent, of course it will take him some time to become a consistent PG.

The only lottery picks that are expected to contribute immediately are, well, the ones that are expected to contribute immediately. These guys were very young and put into inconsistent situations, if people expected them to contribute immediately than that is their fault, not the players'.

Well I completely disagree with the notion that not all lottery players aren't supposed to contribute immediately. While more are based on upside, even those players are expected to come in and make an impact on a bad team. We can agree to disagree on that, I suppose.

While I agree that Beasley has had to change which option he is, that shouldn't necessarily affect his scoring ability. He still gets plenty of touches, and over 30 minutes a game. He's performing like a solid NBA starter, but he's looked down upon because he didn't come in and play like the franchise player everyone expected.

Conley, in my opinion, had bust written all over him coming out of high school. He rode Oden's coattails, and never excelled at much on his own. I still don't get why he was drafted so high, but whatever.

Danilo needs to get more physical before I make a judgment on his game. I understand that basketball is played differently in Europe, and they like to shoot a lot more at every position over there...But the man is 6'10 and plays the 2/3. I like his upside, and his shooting stroke but he needs to get more physical.

I don't know. None of these players are what people expected coming in, regardless of their production now. All three have shown flashes, as the OP said, but have not made consistent strides to being franchise players.

Corey
03-05-2010, 10:48 PM
Anyone who had scouted Thabeet knew he was a HUGE project. Jetsfan28 is spot on with all his points.

Yes, I realize that he is a project, one would have to be silly not to realize that...But again: Why was Thabeet going into the d-league such a big story? Because he was a top pick and was expected to produce.

MrFastBreak
03-05-2010, 11:30 PM
Sorry to say it but if you've watched them its true. Whatever they're going to be they would've done it already.

What makes you think that?

Tony_Starks
03-06-2010, 12:00 AM
What makes you think that?

Have you seen them play? Beasley with his size, quickness, hops and nice J should be penciled in at 20 10 every night easy. Most nights he doesn't even break double digit rebounds.

Gallo is playing with the supposed "offensive genious" and has yet to put up big numbers. With the freedom to shoot whenever he wants on a bad team in a system that is 3 point happy how is that possible?

Conley is just horrible. Its one thing if your pg can't score. Its one thing if your pg doesnt get assist. Its another thing if they can't do either. You mean to tell me you can't get at least 7 assist a night with OJ and Gay running the wings?

Tony_Starks
03-06-2010, 12:04 AM
It's Gallo's 2nd year (well, one and a half year). Beasley has been a 3rd option much of his career. This thread is WAY premature. Most players aren't consistent early in their careers.

What else do those guys have in common? Their roles are changed almost weekly so they CAN'T be consistent, and they are often thrust into larger roles than they should be when they aren't yet ready.

Their changing roles had to do with their play on the court. B Easy is just getting starters minutes because they didn't like how he was rebounding and defending. Conley was literally given the starting spot from day one and can't hold down major minutes because he's inconsistent.

Out of the three Gallo probably has the biggest chance to improve but thats really iffy. The main thing these 3 are lacking is heart and that's something you either have or you don't.

abe_froman
03-06-2010, 02:23 AM
its gallo's and beasley's 2nd year(well basically first for gallo),so its alittle early yet,usually its year 3 thats the make or break year.have beasley and gallo been disappointing? yes,especially considering the hype they came in with(though i'm more lenient on gallo because he miss basically all of his rook year and was said to be abit of a project)...but they still have another year yet before you can start to call it on them

for conley he'll either be a late bloomer or just be what he is and have a career as a super backup

MrFastBreak
03-06-2010, 03:35 PM
Have you seen them play? Beasley with his size, quickness, hops and nice J should be penciled in at 20 10 every night easy. Most nights he doesn't even break double digit rebounds.

Gallo is playing with the supposed "offensive genious" and has yet to put up big numbers. With the freedom to shoot whenever he wants on a bad team in a system that is 3 point happy how is that possible?

Conley is just horrible. Its one thing if your pg can't score. Its one thing if your pg doesnt get assist. Its another thing if they can't do either. You mean to tell me you can't get at least 7 assist a night with OJ and Gay running the wings?

I thoroughly understand that they havent produced at the level people expected them to, but its apparent that all those guys are young and have their whole careers ahead of them. Dont you think it takes time for some players to learn the game?

BALLER71
03-06-2010, 03:38 PM
Michael Beasley doesn't play in the 4th quarter because Erik Spoelstra is a moron.

td0tsfinest
03-06-2010, 03:40 PM

word.

Gallo is basically in his rookie season, considering the number of games he played last year. Young guys are suppose to be inconsistent, that's the whole point of the growing process.

Tony_Starks
03-06-2010, 04:11 PM
I thoroughly understand that they havent produced at the level people expected them to, but its apparent that all those guys are young and have their whole careers ahead of them. Dont you think it takes time for some players to learn the game?

Well typically in the NBA they say by a players third season "you are what you are." Also the players that turn out to be really good generally make marked improvement the first couple years and by year three they're a legit stud.

Beasley's numbers are like a point and a rebound better than last, he's in his second year. Conley's numbers are almost identical all three seasons. Gallo gets the most slack since everyone seems to think he's a rookie but again like I said he's in the most tailor made situation for his style of game so that should be pretty damn alarming.

Could they prove me wrong? Maybe, but I don't think its a stretch to say that none of those guys will ever be players you build your franchise around.

defender4m
03-06-2010, 04:12 PM
they arent on the nets

ldc62
03-06-2010, 04:14 PM
Theres way more names you could add to this list....

The Jokemaker
03-06-2010, 05:44 PM
Now I have to disagree on the subject of Mike Conley. His role in that offense isnt to lead the team in scoring. They have Gay, Randolph, Mayo, and Gasol as their top options AND they run the offense more through Randolph in the post. However he is a good player. He has come along lately, (26 points the other night against the Hornets) and is a doing a good job of running hte offense and playing defense. Even when he came out of college he wasn't expected to lead the team in scoring. In college he average 11.7 points a game so the Grizz knew what they were getting.

As for the other two you mentioned, they are young players and you have to give them time to develop. Not every player is a lebron or carmelo who will come out and dominate in his first season. I mean Billups didn't blossum until his 7th season.

footballer2369
03-06-2010, 06:13 PM
worst thread i've seen, bar none.

beasley statistically is top 5 from 2008. if you come onto a team w/ dwyane wade on it you're not going to put up franchise player #s immediately. even more terrible a thread when you consider his per minute scoring is that of a star at age 21. more terrible yet when you consider that he had a veteran starter of 6+ years at his position blocking him.

and the icing on the cake is the emphasis on defense that the heat have. he doesn't get consistent minutes, the heat don't score a lot, he's the 3rd option AND he's a young player on a playoff team. Can't say any of this for the other two.

Beasley is 21. He will be a star if not a superstar. he should not be in the same sentence as conley or galinari or bargnani or any of those guys.

RocketsRule
03-06-2010, 06:18 PM
The only player I could see being considered a bust is Mike Conley. Two years with starting minutes and he yet to put up over 11 points and 5 assists. Even still, I feel it's too early to even label him a bust since PG's take such a long time to blossom. (See Chauncey Billups)

momoneyyyy
03-06-2010, 06:19 PM
worst thread i've seen, bar none.

Beasley statistically is top 5 from 2008. If you come onto a team w/ dwyane wade on it you're not going to put up franchise player #s immediately. Even more terrible a thread when you consider his per minute scoring is that of a star at age 21. More terrible yet when you consider that he had a veteran starter of 6+ years at his position blocking him.

And the icing on the cake is the emphasis on defense that the heat have. He doesn't get consistent minutes, the heat don't score a lot, he's the 3rd option and he's a young player on a playoff team. Can't say any of this for the other two.

Beasley is 21. He will be a star if not a superstar. He should not be in the same sentence as conley or galinari or bargnani or any of those guys.
+1

MrFastBreak
03-06-2010, 06:31 PM
Well typically in the NBA they say by a players third season "you are what you are." Also the players that turn out to be really good generally make marked improvement the first couple years and by year three they're a legit stud.

Thats not always true. It took Chauncey Billups a good while (7 years) to turn into the player he is now. He was at best average in the earlier years in his career. Now hes helped the Pistons to a chip, making Denver a legitimate contender, and is up there with the elites in Offensive Rating this season. You could now make a case for him being a top 3 PG in the league, you couldnt say the same thing in his first 7 seasons in the league

MacFitz92
03-06-2010, 06:41 PM
What do Tony_Starks and this thread have in common? They're both failures.

x2.

OaklandsFinest
03-06-2010, 06:58 PM
Everybody wants to rave about how great Derrick Rose is, but he's the only option on the bulls and he gets free reign to do whatever he wants on the Bulls. Michael Beasley plays with a guy who dominates the ball and creates jump shots for others so he's forced into a "role player" where as guys like Mike Connelly and Gallo have lottery bust all over them. One's a point guard with little to no offensive game and the other is a jump shooter, thats obviously not a good decision. Fran Frascilla is single handedly ruining your team if you listen to whatever he has to say based on draft and potential. Michael Beasley on the Knicks would be doing alot better, same with Gallo on the Heat. Mike Connelly would be better in Europe or staying in college. As far as Thabeet goes, the guy was averaging 5 blocks per 48 mins thats amazing!! I don't really understand why Memphis sent him down, they should be developing him at the pro level and working on his offensive game.

footballer2369
03-06-2010, 07:07 PM
And BTW...

Beasley and Gallo are going into their 2nd year not 3rd, Tony...This is extremely premature being that Galo hasn't even finished a full season and beasley hasn't finished 2. Conley, however, isn't so premature, but he's not the same level of talent as galo, and nowhere near the level of Beasley IMO.

The Jokemaker
03-06-2010, 07:33 PM
Everybody wants to rave about how great Derrick Rose is, but he's the only option on the bulls and he gets free reign to do whatever he wants on the Bulls. Michael Beasley plays with a guy who dominates the ball and creates jump shots for others so he's forced into a "role player" where as guys like Mike Connelly and Gallo have lottery bust all over them. One's a point guard with little to no offensive game and the other is a jump shooter, thats obviously not a good decision. Fran Frascilla is single handedly ruining your team if you listen to whatever he has to say based on draft and potential. Michael Beasley on the Knicks would be doing alot better, same with Gallo on the Heat. Mike Connelly would be better in Europe or staying in college. As far as Thabeet goes, the guy was averaging 5 blocks per 48 mins thats amazing!! I don't really understand why Memphis sent him down, they should be developing him at the pro level and working on his offensive game.

It's an issue of playing time. He needs to play more at a lower level to fully develop his offensive game.

EaglesJackson10
03-06-2010, 07:37 PM
what do tony_starks and this thread have in common? They're both failures.

hahahahah

momoneyyyy
03-06-2010, 11:29 PM
well m beasley played in 4th today and got 14 points in the quarter. he is gonna be a star..

marlinsfan24
03-06-2010, 11:32 PM
Beasley sure is a bust watching tonights game.

LayZbone
03-06-2010, 11:37 PM
Beasley won us this game tonight with an amazing 4th quarter. Catching alleys, getting defensive stops, forcing turnovers, drilling clutch 3s. He was en fuego!

Tony_Starks
03-07-2010, 12:13 AM
well m beasley played in 4th today and got 14 points in the quarter. he is gonna be a star..

He was a beast in the 4th. In fact he scored 22 points altogether... In case your curious about what he did the game before that?..... He had a grand total of 6 points. Thats kinda like my whole point........

If you've ever seen him play in college you know he is waaaaay too skilled to be having that kinda inconsistency.