PDA

View Full Version : TNT Analysts

fairandbalanced
03-05-2010, 03:38 PM
I don't know about you but a big reason I usually tune off TNT games when my favorite team is not playing is because of the analysts. Instead of analyzing the game, they often let their opinions of players get in the way. And I have noticed there are some games that they totally ignore and rather talk about something else. Is this part of the NBA image problem? I mean having egomaniacs like Charles Barkley calling players names (Heat players...a bunch of Titos excluding D Wade), is that what they are hired to do? I think they should keep their opinion to themselves because everybody has one, and just analyze the game as objective as they can.

Your thoughts...

LA_cabals
03-05-2010, 03:50 PM
I HATE Doug "run-on sentence" Collins!!

The guys doesn't know what a pause is. He just talks and talks and talks. TAKE A BREATH, DOUG!

chitown4eva88
03-05-2010, 03:55 PM
I think they are funny and do offer there opinion maybe too much but that is what makes it good. :clap:

DLeeicious
03-05-2010, 03:57 PM
Barkley has got to have the least insight of any person in the history of the NBA, especially former players, the guy just knows nothing. I just use him as the comic relief of TNT nba coverage. This box this box it rocks it rocks.

The Ooh Child
03-05-2010, 04:00 PM
I don't know about you but a big reason I usually tune off TNT games when my favorite team is not playing is because of the analysts. Instead of analyzing the game, they often let their opinions of players get in the way. And I have noticed there are some games that they totally ignore and rather talk about something else. Is this part of the NBA image problem? I mean having egomaniacs like Charles Barkley calling players names (Heat players...a bunch of Titos excluding D Wade), is that what they are hired to do? I think they should keep their opinion to themselves because everybody has one, and just analyze the game as objective as they can.

Your thoughts...

I'm pretty sure that is precisely what Sir Charles is paid to do. The TNT team is more entertaining banter about the NBA than it is intelligent analysis. Chuck is a big dummy, but I'm a huge fan. But I can definitely understand why someone wouldn't like him.

Sadds The Gr8
03-05-2010, 04:06 PM

Your thoughts...

TNT analysts are funny, I have no problem with them at all. They don't talk about some of the games because they're boring as hell. I wouldn't want to hear them talk about highlights of a Pacers/Nets game (no offence) when I can listen to them make jokes. And I love that Tito reference because it's so true lol. Check Sig. Like the Ooh Child says, Barkley's pretty much paid to do that...he's the dummy (class clown) as they call it in elementary school. Besides, it's wayyyyy better than ESPN's lame piece of crap boring half time show. Those guys arent entertaining at all...

wolf3742
03-05-2010, 04:22 PM
I do not take the analysis in TNT seriously. As said in the previous post, I only take them as a comic relief. Especially Barkley and all his silly comments

soonabooma
03-05-2010, 04:41 PM
Kenny, Charles, and C-Webb......I can get more out of Kevin Mchale than those three knuckleheads combined. TNT has become a joke. You can see it on EJs face sometimes, he just wants to tell those clowns to shut up becuz they turn it into a freaking barbershop debate with no real substance. It's kinda funny though seeing Ernie look at those dudes like they're the 3 stooges.

ManRam
03-05-2010, 04:46 PM
I like them. Sounds like you want robots to announce the games.

I'd rather be entertained than bored to death. I like EJ, Kenny, Chuck and Chris too. I can go a million other places to find analysis and such...but they're one of the few places where I can get a decent mix of serious basketball talk, and awesome entertainment.

twoearl
03-05-2010, 04:55 PM

Your thoughts...

I disagree. Even though it may sounds a just empty joke making, Barkley's Tito jackson comment is DEAD ON insight. Dwade is playing with a bunch of role players and a underachieving Beasley. Charles's just has funny way of saying it but that is spot on NBA analysis.

Real NBA fans ALREADY understand whats going on in a game and don't need an announcer to tell them. Which is why I dislike people like Mchale, Eric Snow etc. as anaylsts because all they do is state the obvious like "he's playing great basketball right now" or "he needs to step up in the second half" that is not entertaining nor is is amazing insight. If a guy is putting up 19pts in the first half of course he is playing good and if a guy only has 1pt and 2 boards of course he needs to step it up...

skinsfan4life80
03-05-2010, 05:15 PM
Is TNT insightfull? No not even close. But what they are his highly entertaining. I could watch them all day.

sugarrayray
03-05-2010, 05:22 PM
I like them. Sounds like you want robots to announce the games.

I'd rather be entertained than bored to death. I like EJ, Kenny, Chuck and Chris too. I can go a million other places to find analysis and such...but they're one of the few places where I can get a decent mix of serious basketball talk, and awesome entertainment.

Really? Awesome entertainment? Awesome??? If your bored to death watching basketball and these guys make it fun for you to watch, maybe you shouldn't be watching basketball?

ARMIN12NBA
03-05-2010, 08:51 PM
They are wildly inaccurate when citing NBA history and are prone to hyperbole, but are very entertaining which is why I like to watch.

albertc86
03-05-2010, 08:59 PM
Kenny, Charles, and C-Webb......I can get more out of Kevin Mchale than those three knuckleheads combined. TNT has become a joke. You can see it on EJs face sometimes, he just wants to tell those clowns to shut up becuz they turn it into a freaking barbershop debate with no real substance. It's kinda funny though seeing Ernie look at those dudes like they're the 3 stooges.

I think EJ's facial expressions are due to him not being able to relate to some of the jokes they throw out. EJ is the lone white guy so he can't really laugh or participate in certain jokes. I don't mind Barkley being an analyst. Granted, he does very little of it but he calls players out and calls it how it is. Other analysts won't go out on a limb and call a player out.

bahama0811
03-05-2010, 09:00 PM
I cannot stand TNT announcers.

RadiantShot
03-05-2010, 09:11 PM
Does Marv Albert ever analyze on TNT? I forgot if he's TNT, or ESPN. Either way, I hate that guy. I like Chuck, Kenny, and EJ. They make the games fun to watch when it starts to get slow. I like Basketball, but does that mean it can't get boring at all? Definitely not.

Jahari Kavi
03-05-2010, 09:11 PM
I HATE Doug "run-on sentence" Collins!!

The guys doesn't know what a pause is. He just talks and talks and talks. TAKE A BREATH, DOUG!

:clap:

Doug over analyzes as well...always thought he was an annoying commentator......

Jahari Kavi
03-05-2010, 09:12 PM
Does Marv Albert ever analyze on TNT? I forgot if he's TNT, or ESPN. Either way, I hate that guy. I like Chuck, Kenny, and EJ. They make the games fun to watch when it starts to get slow. I like Basketball, but does that mean it can't get boring at all? Definitely not.

Why the hate for Marv?????....Marv calls the game, so he doesn't do much of the analysis........

RadiantShot
03-05-2010, 09:13 PM
Why the hate for Marv?????....Marv calls the game, so he doesn't do much of the analysis........

Hearing his voice change pitches every play get's annoying.

"AND LeBRON JAMES."
"Dwight HOWARD with the EMPHATIC block."
"For the win...YESSSSSS!"

Like damn, take a chill pill.

Evolution23
03-05-2010, 09:16 PM
I think they are funny and real about how they feel.. Atleast they don't pretend to be fake.

MacFitz92
03-06-2010, 01:53 AM
I think the TNT main analysts (Charles, Kenny, and Ernie) are the greatest anyalysts. They are funny, and although they are not on spot all the time, these guys hit on the spot sometimes.

Example:
"Why in the Hell is Golden State playing so many primetime games, they suck."

They aren't really any more biased than other analysts out there. Its just they are less polished about making their case at times. I really enjoy listening to them though.

Meth
03-06-2010, 02:55 AM
I like Chuck, Kenny and Webber, but I think they root for the "bigger" championship competitor teams more than any other team. To add onto Macfitz post, Chuck and Kenny are like against Golden State, like they are a bad team looking at the record and not realizing their problems. Bottomline is, they don't respect other teams that aren't playoff - championship contenders.
I like their show; very entertaining and amusing.

Ansy
03-06-2010, 04:05 AM
I think it's somewhat refreshing. I would be annoyed if they were the only basketball analysts around, but they're not. I get all the journalistic insight I need from ESPN. TNT focuses more on entertainment, sort of crossing analysis with sketch comedy.

I still laugh when I think of the Kenny jumping a car bit.

RaptorizedKevin
03-06-2010, 02:56 PM
steve smith is a complete incompatant fella, with a great ball career. his facts never back up what he says, and hes always yelling at barkly

Raph12
03-06-2010, 03:04 PM
I like the personalities and the entertainment they provide, but they aren't very good analysts.

kingpayne40
03-06-2010, 03:16 PM
Im pretty sure Charles Barkley Kenny Smith and Chris Webber know alot more about basketball then Michael Wilbon (who i love btw) and the third analysts they have next to Jalen Rose and John Berry. Ya those guys on TNT are hilarious but u kno a little something abt the game if u played for as long and at that high a level as those 3

nanablvd
03-06-2010, 03:28 PM
If TNT wants some objective analysts to do nba coverage they would not hire Barkley in the first place. I would rather say the opposite, that Charles, Kenny, and the rest have done a pretty good job making the show look like what TNT portrayed in their mind when they hired the guys. This is all business man -- public dislike should be reflected in TV ratings, plus, TNT would rather be smart and do a show that entertains and pleases 80% of their watchers even if it means to enrage and spill out 20% of them who expect the opposite. Sorry but unforntunately, you are not in the majority.

Lakerfrk
03-06-2010, 03:47 PM
I LOVE TNT announcers... I could watch them every single game.

Lakersfan2483
03-06-2010, 03:52 PM
For the most part, the TNT announcers are good. I really enjoy Kenny Smith and Ernie Johnson. Barkley is a hater, but he's funny sometimes... As far as the game commentators, I love Marv Albert and Kevin Harlan. Mike Fratello is a good color commentator, but Reggie Miller needs some serious work in that dept. He's way to boring and has a dry sense of humor. As far as Doug Collins, I can't wait until he retires, he is really irritating to listen to. He is way too long winded in his responses and repeats himself way too often. He's about as bad as Bill Walton.

kdspurman
03-06-2010, 03:53 PM
These guys are great imo. I mean think about it, they are on a lot from like 1am-2am. They've gotta be entertaining and keep things interesting to be able to keep an audience an extra hour after the games are finished. They talk about the game a lot, and give their opinions a lot, but that's what most analysts do (Jalen Rose, Tim Legler) They just do it in a different way. Besides, how can you not like something like this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dw-8wxuQaaU

jim51990
03-06-2010, 04:10 PM
as long as charles is their ill always watch

Kakaroach
03-06-2010, 04:12 PM
Their the reason its an Emmy winner year in and year out. And yeah, their the main reason I watch too.

ldc62
03-06-2010, 04:13 PM
I like the Inside the NBA segment.