PDA

View Full Version : Kevin Durant Will Sign Max Contract With Thunder If Offered

R_O_W_E
03-04-2010, 04:09 PM
http://newsok.com/kevin-durant-says-hell-sign-a-max-deal-if-thunder-offers-this-summer/article/3443827?custom_click=lead_story_title

Given the current collective bargaining agreement and the Thunder's salary cap position, Oklahoma City could offer Durant a five-year deal in the $80 million range.

"If they did offer (a max contract), that would be something that nobody could turn down," Durant told FanHouse. "I would be blessed and privileged and honored. ... But, at the same time, I've got to keep working. ... It would be good (to sign this summer). To know that I can be with a team for a couple (more) years will be cool."

Asked if he would be offended if the Thunder didn't offer a max deal this summer, Durant said, "Not really."

"Of course, I know I'll be back the year after that, and you never know what will happen that next summer," Durant said.

Speculation that Durant would flee Oklahoma City at the first opportunity has flowed since the franchise relocated from Seattle two years ago. Much of that speculation has been anchored in the belief that he would prefer to play in a larger market where he could gain greater exposure.

Larger market as in Washington DC, his hometown. If Durant signed with the Wizards, you would be hard pressed to find any open seat in the lower bowl at the Verizon Center. It would be more of a homecoming than LeBron with Cleveland, since Durant grew up basically 10 minutes away from the DC line.

Its a dumb move considering if he waits until 2011, he'll be an unrestricted Free Agent and be able to raise up his Free Agent value.

td0tsfinest
03-04-2010, 04:12 PM
Hmm..I thought he would go the Lebron and Wade route and sign a 3 year deal with a player option for a fourth.

ChiSox219
03-04-2010, 04:12 PM
Couple things:

-The Thunder have a decision, they can pay Durant now or after the new CBA. He'll obviously make less if they choose the latter but it could piss him off in the future.

-If the Thunder waited for RFA they'll match the max offer he receives from any other team, so basically, Durant isn't going anywhere.

mikantsass
03-04-2010, 04:15 PM
I'd sign a max contract with the Nets if they gave me one..... GET PAID $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

R_O_W_E
03-04-2010, 04:18 PM
Couple things:

-The Thunder have a decision, they can pay Durant now or after the new CBA. He'll obviously make less if they choose the latter but it could piss him off in the future.

-If the Thunder waited for RFA they'll match the max offer he receives from any other team, so basically, Durant isn't going anywhere.

In 2011 he becomes an unrestricted Free Agent depending on if a new CBA is put in place following next season. Restricted Free Agency is scrapped following a new CBA, unlike the NFL.

If the most he can sign right now is a 5/$80 Million Dollar contract he should maybe wait atleast to see what will happen with the new CBA. It could possibly bring in unguaranteed contracts, although with higher value.

abe_froman
03-04-2010, 04:19 PM
i dont think he cares,he's on a great young team that has potential to win rings/be contenders for years,and is already the kind of o.k..so i dont see why you'd leave that to go to the basement

but i see your from b-more,so i understand your feelings

GodsSon
03-04-2010, 04:23 PM
Is OKC the smallest NBA market? I would think they rank near the bottom

GCOOKIE7
03-04-2010, 04:24 PM
Pay up sucka!

who wouldn't give him the max? Worth every penny!

R_O_W_E
03-04-2010, 04:25 PM
i dont think he cares,he's on a great young team that has potential to win rings/be contenders for years,and is already the kind of o.k..so i dont see why you'd leave that to go to the basement
Nothing wrong with the Wizards, there is an expectation the team could be sold soon, possibly to the Caps owner. The Abe Polin years are over, a new ownership could bring forth the start of smart moves regarding a Franchise in a prime major market.

but i see your from b-more,so i understand your feelings

Im not a Wizards fan at all, Baltimore and DC are 2 very different cities an hour apart. Im just pointing out the love that DC shows for DC people, before Arenas' popularity peaked they would sell out anytime Steve Francis returned to Washington. If you put a hometown star like Durant in DC, you're guarnteed to sell out nearly every game espescially if they can build a good team around him.

thescore53
03-04-2010, 04:35 PM
dont worry when he eventually becomes a unrestricted fa everyone will be like

hell sign with (insert big market team here)

GodsSon
03-04-2010, 04:37 PM
dont worry when he eventually becomes a unrestricted fa everyone will be like

hell sign with (insert big market team here)

Toronto :D

arkanian215
03-04-2010, 04:42 PM
I hope he stays in OKC. He has a good thing going there. That team is a few vet pieces (and a reliable center + experience all around) away from being a perennial contender. It's nice to see OKC's FO surround him with some quality character guys too (possibly with the exception of mullens, ive heard he's not much of a worker) green, harden, westy, curly, nick, etan, thabo, serge are all solid guys.

R_O_W_E
03-04-2010, 04:48 PM
I hope he stays in OKC. He has a good thing going there. That team is a few vet pieces (and a reliable center + experience all around) away from being a perennial contender. It's nice to see OKC's FO surround him with some quality character guys too (possibly with the exception of mullens, ive heard he's not much of a worker) green, harden, westy, curly, nick, etan, thabo, serge are all solid guys.

They do have a good thing going but nobody knows how much they can or will invest in their team.

If a player like Russell Westbrook asked for a Max-like contract and would be willing to leave to get more money, would OKC pony up to pay him?

What about adding a big time low post player? Could OKC afford to bring in a guy like Amare or Boozer.

abe_froman
03-04-2010, 04:50 PM
Nothing wrong with the Wizards, there is an expectation the team could be sold soon, possibly to the Caps owner. The Abe Polin years are over, a new ownership could bring forth the start of smart moves regarding a Franchise in a prime major market.

Im not a Wizards fan at all, Baltimore and DC are 2 very different cities an hour apart. Im just pointing out the love that DC shows for DC people, before Arenas' popularity peaked they would sell out anytime Steve Francis returned to Washington. If you put a hometown star like Durant in DC, you're guarnteed to sell out nearly every game espescially if they can build a good team around him.
there's alot wrong with the wiz.they are in rebuilding mode(which is the right move),they could but it would take time

yes they would sell out,no one says they wouldnt.my argument is that he probably wouldnt except going back there over staying where he is

bal_ravens
03-04-2010, 04:58 PM
If Blatche keeps growing, and McGee shows his potential, signing a player like Rudy Gay this summer to come home and getting lucky in the draft, it could be a deadly lineup.

I wish Durant went to the Wizards and helped turn the franchise around, but if that is out of the question, I hope he stays with the Thunder.

R_O_W_E
03-04-2010, 04:59 PM
there's alot wrong with the wiz.they are in rebuilding mode(which is the right move),they could but it would take time

yes they would sell out,no one says they wouldnt.my argument is that he probably wouldnt except going back there over staying where he is

East is easier than the West, the Thunder are a good young team but they are still awhile aways from becoming a consistent West Contender, the highest they are is a 5th seed. They still need to prove they can spend money by acquiring a premier talent in the post to pair with Durant, or just move Durant to PF while adding a defensive C and let him create a huge mismatch against defenders at the 4.

Washington has some young talent like Foye, Thornton, Blatche, and McGee but if you have a legit star and maybe even Arenas you can be a 5th seed in the East.

-Kobe24-TJ19-
03-04-2010, 04:59 PM
http://newsok.com/kevin-durant-says-hell-sign-a-max-deal-if-thunder-offers-this-summer/article/3443827?custom_click=lead_story_title

Larger market as in Washington DC, his hometown. If Durant signed with the Wizards, you would be hard pressed to find any open seat in the lower bowl at the Verizon Center. It would be more of a homecoming than LeBron with Cleveland, since Durant grew up basically 10 minutes away from the DC line.

Its a dumb move considering if he waits until 2011, he'll be an unrestricted Free Agent and be able to raise up his Free Agent value.

Wrong

arkanian215
03-04-2010, 05:05 PM
If Blatche keeps growing, and McGee shows his potential, signing a player like Rudy Gay this summer to come home and getting lucky in the draft, it could be a deadly lineup.

I wish Durant went to the Wizards and helped turn the franchise around, but if that is out of the question, I hope he stays with the Thunder.

is arenas still going to be on the wizards books? i thought they'd void his contract by now since he was convicted of a felony.

R_O_W_E
03-04-2010, 05:25 PM
Wrong

Im right.

A new CBA removes his restricted Free Agency.

dtmagnet
03-04-2010, 05:26 PM
Who cares if OKC is small market, he still gets league-wide recognition and everyone knows who he is.

R_O_W_E
03-04-2010, 05:26 PM
is arenas still going to be on the wizards books? i thought they'd void his contract by now since he was convicted of a felony.

Arenas wasn't convicted, he plead guilty.

No way can the Wizards void his contract without a fight from the NBPA.