PDA

View Full Version : what happened to Fran Vasquez?

jtrinaldi
03-03-2010, 10:22 PM
Anyone know what happened to him after being a lottery pick?

Meth
03-03-2010, 10:24 PM
Please include more detail i.e Year he was suppose to be drafted, college, age, etc. because I seriously have no clue who that guy is.

ManRam
03-03-2010, 10:24 PM
He is still under contract for his Euro team. It runs out after this season. The Magic could only contribute a tiny amount to buy him out, and he couldn't get out of it himself.

Hopefully after this year he comes over. Not sure if it will happen, but I know it's finally a possibility. Last I checked, he was doing real well. MVP of the Copa Del Rey. He is 26 already though...

ManRam
03-03-2010, 10:26 PM
Please include more detail i.e Year he was suppose to be drafted, college, age, etc. because I seriously have no clue who that guy is.

He was the 11th overall pick by Orlando in the 2005 draft. He's from Spain, not college. He signed a contract over seas, and hasn't been able to get out of it.

Kind of surprised you have no idea who he is...

AI4MVP
03-03-2010, 10:29 PM
yeaaah hes really good. hes older now so its not like you can build ur franchise around him, but its perfect for the magic. hes really really good. if he finally comes over then hes gunna make them alot better

td0tsfinest
03-03-2010, 10:35 PM
As far as I know, he was suppose to come in and give the Magic a potent front court with him and Dwight. It's been 5 years and I haven't seen or heard anything from this guy.

I think the Magic still have his rights though.

Hellcrooner
03-03-2010, 10:59 PM
He is beasting in Europe and considered best Pf not in the Nba,

Just won mvp of spanish kings cup.

Has serious mental problems he has not wanted to play for team spain all those years even if h has always received an invitation.

he is 25 right now.

Barcelona has an option to extend his contract one moe year but they are thingking heavily in proposing him a new long term deal starting at 7 million TAx Free euros wich is about double the money magic can offer him under rookie scale.

Bottomline he will probably never go into the nba,

Raph12
03-03-2010, 10:59 PM
He'll likely be in Orlando by next season... We'll probably be looking to get rid of a couple of bigs in the offseason.

Hellcrooner
03-03-2010, 11:00 PM
Wich is a pity to orlando since he could be the PERFECT pf for them and allow Lewis to play his real spot at SF.

he is a hard worker, tough defender and has soft touch and a good jumper.

td0tsfinest
03-03-2010, 11:03 PM

He'll likely be in Orlando by next season...

lol, I love how you guys posted right after one another :p.

ManRam
03-03-2010, 11:04 PM
I know he's more of a PF, but maybe we move Gortat this off-season, and he replaces him. He definitely still has more upside than Marcin.

Raph12
03-03-2010, 11:11 PM
I know he's more of a PF, but maybe we move Gortat this off-season, and he replaces him. He definitely still has more upside than Marcin.

Marcin = Defense

Vasquez = All-Around

Playing against Dwight in practise everyday should do wonders for Vasquez's game.

dev0
03-03-2010, 11:16 PM
there's nothing wrong with a 26 year old with years of experience playing professional basketball at a high level coming to a championship-calibur team next year, he'll integrate well

Meth
03-04-2010, 02:06 AM
He was the 11th overall pick by Orlando in the 2005 draft. He's from Spain, not college. He signed a contract over seas, and hasn't been able to get out of it.

Kind of surprised you have no idea who he is...

My bad.
And yeah, I remember him from draft day.

..I didn't really like his all-around game back then.

AI4MVP
03-04-2010, 02:09 AM
wait so wtf . is he coming next year or not lol

JermanJaysFan
03-04-2010, 02:13 AM
wait so wtf . is he coming next year or not lol

I think it has been made quite evident that no one really knows.

doriandodo
03-04-2010, 03:33 AM
excellent blocker,good rebounder,something like dwight
but he is too weak to play center and too big and slow to play pf
he is good in europe because there centers arent so strong

if he could work on his muscle gain (+dwight could prefer sim what steroids he should use)
maybe se could be good role player.

Hellcrooner
03-04-2010, 03:49 AM
excellent blocker true,good rebounders somewhat ,something like dwight false he is more finesse adn les fissical
but he is too weak false to play center and too big and slow false to play pf in fact his speed for his body frame is one of his big pros
he is good in europe because there centers arent so strong true

if he could work on his muscle gain (+dwight could prefer sim what steroids he should use)somewhat he could lose his finesse
maybe se could be good role player false he is one of those guys who is a complete question marc scenario he can be a complete bust if his game does not translate well or be a complete suprise and be a very good starter.

fixed

jacquewho?
03-04-2010, 03:52 AM
They have someone else...his name is Dwight Howard. :p

Hopefully he does come over next season, would love to see him playing alongside Dwight from a non-Magic fan.

Hellcrooner
03-04-2010, 03:53 AM
My bad.
And yeah, I remember him from draft day.

..I didn't really like his all-around game back then.

He has evolved a lot in his game.
But his mind still is very small and im not sure he will ever want to go to the Nba.

Curious fact about him.

He was born 30 miles away from where i was born , In my city there is a team that usually stays in the top league in spain.

Breogan Lugo.

He made a tryout there when he was 12 and around 6,7 and was not accepted in the youth scheme of the team.

I MADE the youth scheme some years earlier being a 5,9 midget :D

EPIC FAIL!!!!!!

The_Pharouh
03-04-2010, 08:57 AM
He is beasting in Europe and considered best Pf not in the Nba,

Just won mvp of spanish kings cup.

Has serious mental problems he has not wanted to play for team spain all those years even if h has always received an invitation.

he is 25 right now.

Barcelona has an option to extend his contract one moe year but they are thingking heavily in proposing him a new long term deal starting at 7 million TAx Free euros wich is about double the money magic can offer him under rookie scale.

correct me if I am wrong but wasn't Garbajosa a better PF?I think Jorge starts over him in Spanish NT
that said I really like Fran,I am a big Barca fan and I've watched Barca regal many times and he is very good player no doubt and It seems they will repeat what the soccer team has done last season :) (spain also won th Euro championship last season :rolleyes: )
another 2 things ,he isn't 25 as he will complete 27 in May 1 which means that his door for playing in the NBA is closing,but if Barca won it all this year I think he should come to the NBA

one last thing,during all the Rubio talking there was some articles about the fact that if he waited to 2012 he isn't obliged to the Rookie scale anymore
if this is the case for Vazquez the Magic could have the money to pay if they want to
not sure about those rules though

Hellcrooner
03-04-2010, 10:37 AM
correct me if I am wrong but wasn't Garbajosa a better PF? Garbajosa used to start at SF for Spain with Gasol as Pf and Reyes as C until Marc Blossomed also Fran has rejected to play with spain , many suspect that he has some inner nationalistic problems think Jorge starts over him in Spanish NT
that said I really like Fran,I am a big Barca fan and I've watched Barca regal many times and he is very good player no doubt and It seems they will repeat what the soccer team has done last season :) (spain also won th Euro championship last season :rolleyes: )i hope so
another 2 things ,he isn't 25 as he will complete 27 in May 1 which means that his door for playing in the NBA is closing,but if Barca won it all this year I think he should come to the NBA agree

one last thing,during all the Rubio talking there was some articles about the fact that if he waited to 2012 he isn't obliged to the Rookie scale anymore i think that does not work tht way
if this is the case for Vazquez the Magic could have the money to pay if they want to
not sure about those rules though

d

RadiantShot
03-04-2010, 10:49 AM
Fran Vasquez = Better version of Anderson Varejao? :D

JiffyMix88
03-04-2010, 10:50 AM
imagine if the magic got david lee instead

Hellcrooner
03-04-2010, 10:56 AM

Then Magi woudl get a Slightly betteOFFENSIVE power foward that is MUCH MUCH WORST on the defensive end.

Hellcrooner
03-04-2010, 10:57 AM
Fran Vasquez = Better version of Anderson Varejao? :D

Given they were in the same team for one year or two and Andy was Frans Backup.....posibly.

-Kobe24-TJ19-
03-04-2010, 11:11 AM

OK...done

then the magic would suck like knicks

Double_R
03-04-2010, 11:15 AM
Please come to the NBA Fran...

This guy was pissing me off, but I hadn't thought about him in the last year

I hate when somebody goes in the draft, but isn't ready to go to the NBA, they should make a rule that states that if you go into the NBA draft, you are then under contract to go to the team that year or you are banned from the NBA for life, then it would stop these euros from having control and basically messing up team plans/rosters as far as position needs, etc...Fran Vasquez pretty much took away the Magic's lottery pick that they could have used on somebody else who could be currently helping the team... Im pissed again just thinking about it

Hellcrooner
03-04-2010, 11:36 AM
Please come to the NBA Fran...

This guy was pissing me off, but I hadn't thought about him in the last year

I hate when somebody goes in the draft, but isn't ready to go to the NBA, they should make a rule that states that if you go into the NBA draft, you are then under contract to go to the team that year or you are banned from the NBA for life, then it would stop these euros from having control and basically messing up team plans/rosters as far as position needs, etc...Fran Vasquez pretty much took away the Magic's lottery pick that they could have used on somebody else who could be currently helping the team... Im pissed again just thinking about it

Ok so Larry bird since he went back to Indy state Frbidden for life!!!

David robinson , went back to the Navy Forbidden for life!!!! :D

Hellcrooner
03-04-2010, 11:38 AM
Its David stern who you should be angry against if nba teams could pay whatever buyouts euro players have wiht their teams instead of the RIDICULE 500000 dollars rule they would all come inmediately.

Raph12
03-04-2010, 12:26 PM
Then Magi woudl get a Slightly betteOFFENSIVE power foward that is MUCH MUCH WORST on the defensive end.

Doubt they get much worse, Dwight's still back there to clean things up.

But yeah I get your point, Lee<Vasquez on defense, I hope he decides to hit the NBA next season.