PDA

View Full Version : If Your #1 Option is Struggling.....

td0tsfinest
03-03-2010, 09:41 PM
There are at times where even the best players in the league have an off night.

So as a coach, if your number #1 option on offense was struggling for the most part of a game:

do you continue to run the offense through him (with him continuing to get the most shots)? or

do you change face and start running more plays for the #2 option or other guys on the team for the remainder of the game?

I only ask this because I was watching the Lakers play the past couple of games. Watching Kobe struggle from the line, was wondering if Coach Jackson should get the ball down to Pau more often than Usual.

DerekRE_3
03-03-2010, 09:52 PM
Just have him play against the Kings defense, he'll get back on track. It will be like an extra shootaround.

JermanJaysFan
03-03-2010, 10:10 PM
It depends. If its a guy like Kobe or Lebron or Wade, you keep going to him. They are too good and the offenses are too built around them to do it otherwise.

It also depends on the situation. If you are down 15 late in game 7, you might be forced to go through someone else in desperation. But if its a midseason game, you've gotta keep with your rhythm in my mind. More often than not your numero uno guy comes through if you stick with him. You might lose a few games to that philosophy when the #1 has a bad night, but you lose more if you always juggle your options on offense.

Raph12
03-03-2010, 11:01 PM
You keep going to them, because if they are a great player, they'll know how to get to the basket, which will help get them going a bit.

Meth
03-04-2010, 02:02 AM
Really depends.

If the player is more useful driving to the hole, but "misses" due to their "bad night",
then here are the scenarios..

if the opponent decides to clog the lane, prevent him from driving, then he'll be forced to shoot jumpers. But since he's having a bad night, he's gonna miss them.

So basically, I might as well take him out, and put in the 2nd option.. (if the 2nd option isn't on a slump)

G-Bay New J
03-04-2010, 02:23 AM
It depends what team you are talking about. With the Lakers you stick with Kobe but if your the Nets and Devin is struggling, you move to Brook Lopez and Courtney Lee.

G-Bay New J
03-04-2010, 02:27 AM
Hey Raph, I was just wondering... are you the biggest bandwagon jumper in the world or is there a story behind it?

I don't even see how a person can have more than 1 favorite team and you like arguably the 5 best teams in the NBA. Don't take offense I'm just wondering lol

Raph12
03-04-2010, 12:28 PM
Hey Raph, I was just wondering... are you the biggest bandwagon jumper in the world or is there a story behind it?

I don't even see how a person can have more than 1 favorite team and you like arguably the 5 best teams in the NBA. Don't take offense I'm just wondering lol

Yeah the story is I like to watch basketball and any good team playing it.

I'm a Magic fan first and foremost, but I do like to root for other teams when they're not playing.

MJ-BULLS
03-04-2010, 12:34 PM
well, when you're number one option is struggling in his shots are not falling down I'd say give it to your number two option and the teammates. but you can still play through your number one option passing wise. And the very next game go right back to number one option because he is your number-one option and he has to get back on track.

RaiderLakersA's
03-04-2010, 03:16 PM
He's your #1 for a reason. If he's having an "off night", it means he's stopping himself. The other team hasn't stopped him per se.

Your other option -- your #2 -- is second fiddle for a reason. It usually means that he can be stopped by force of will or as a direct consequence of game planning by the opposing team. Your #1 alleviates this focus and pressure, allowing your #2 to make plays and thrive.

But make no mistake, when an opposing team knows that you've limiting your playbook to the #2 option solely, you're in deep water. It's just a matter of time before they shut that down and you're stuck with your #3 option. Or no options at all.

You let your #1 play through those slumps. In most cases, your #1, if he's savvy, will find other ways to get the win for you. Kobe, in the past, has shown an amazing knack of getting timely shots for others when his shot isn't falling, or getting to the charity stripe.

Jaji
03-04-2010, 03:20 PM
Depends on who your #1 option is.