PDA

View Full Version : Which team out East has the best shot to upset the Cavaliers in the playoffs?

JordansBulls
03-03-2010, 12:04 PM
Which team out East has the best shot to upset the Cavaliers in the playoffs?

Orlando
Atlanta
Boston
Toronto
Chicago
Milwaukee
Miami
Charlotte

Derrick_Rose
03-03-2010, 12:08 PM
Don't really see the point of this thread considering no one outside of Orlando can compete with them.

HoopsDrive
03-03-2010, 12:08 PM
In the first round series, the Cavs would only fear the Bobcats.

If Shaq isn't back by the time the Cavs-Magic matchup gets underway, this would be my pick.

Picking the Bobcats would solely depend whether the Cavs face them on the 1st round because otherwise they're not getting through (the Bobcats).

I went with the Magic in any case.

Lord Leoshes
03-03-2010, 12:11 PM
BOS, & ORL have a good chance, with ATL being the wild card.

IversonIsKrazy
03-03-2010, 02:55 PM
i would say either the Magic or Bobcats!

fairandbalanced
03-03-2010, 02:57 PM
How is Boston and Orlando an upset?

abe_froman
03-03-2010, 02:58 PM
bobcats,they just match up with them well

bigsams50
03-03-2010, 03:37 PM
Orlando. They did it last yea whose to say they cant this year

G-Funk
03-03-2010, 03:44 PM
It's the other way around. The Cavaliers are the favorites to upset the Eastern Defending Champions(Magic)

Magic get no respect, everyone is making the same mistake they did last year by choosing the Cavs to make it to the Finals just because they have a good season record ala Suns.

Lakersfan2483
03-03-2010, 03:49 PM
Which team out East has the best shot to upset the Cavaliers in the playoffs?

Orlando
Atlanta
Boston
Toronto
Chicago
Milwaukee
Miami
Charlotte

Why are the Cavs the favorites out East? The Magic are the defending champs until someone knocks them out.

In response to the question, the Cavs toughest opponent will be the Orlando Magic. I would not be surprised to see the Magic make the finals again.

DaoudS
03-03-2010, 03:53 PM
whichever team is hottest going into the playoffs. Bucks, Bobcats and Raptors - but the Bobcats above all of the bottom East seeds have the shot to upset the Cavs.

TheKing23
03-03-2010, 03:54 PM
It's the other way around. The Cavaliers are the favorites to upset the Eastern Defending Champions(Magic)

Magic get no respect, everyone is making the same mistake they did last year by choosing the Cavs to make it to the Finals just because they have a good season record ala Suns.

I don't understand why people use last year as a measuring stick when arguing who the team to beat this season is.

Not only were the Magic a vastly different team last year, but they've already shown they're not playing at the level they were last season. Why should we assume they're the team to beat just because they were Eastern conference champs LAST season?

We're talking about THIS year, and judging by the way the teams in the East have played, the Cavs are the team to beat.

I agree the Magic deserve some respect, they scare the hell out of me, and they are widening the gap between themselves and the Celtics, but I don't think it's fair to use evidence from last season when deciding who is the team to beat this season.

Slimsim
03-03-2010, 04:06 PM
Bobcats

macc
03-03-2010, 04:21 PM
I don't understand why people use last year as a measuring stick when arguing who the team to beat this season is.

Not only were the Magic a vastly different team last year, but they've already shown they're not playing at the level they were last season. Why should we assume they're the team to beat just because they were Eastern conference champs LAST season?

We're talking about THIS year, and judging by the way the teams in the East have played, the Cavs are the team to beat.

I agree the Magic deserve some respect, they scare the hell out of me, and they are widening the gap between themselves and the Celtics, but I don't think it's fair to use evidence from last season when deciding who is the team to beat this season.

Ok fair enough, but then tell me why you consider Cleveland the favorites over the Magic? What gives them the nod? Granted they have a better record by a few games but what does that really matter? Cleveland didn't have near the injuries or suspensions that Orlando had yet Orlando is not far behind Cleveland. It comes down to match ups. Orlando has had Clevelands number for the last 4-5 years. What has drastically changed? Cleveland got a 37 yr old Shaq. Dwight scored the majority of his points on Shaq while grabbing 16 rebounds. Shaq was brought to stop Dwight. It didn't happen. Dwight might not be as strong as Shaq but he's alot faster.

Cleveland has won 2 out of 3 games vs the Magic this year but both Magic losses were on Magic back to back games with Cleveland rested. Yes that does make a difference. I play ball and when you don't at least get a days rest its harder to put forth the same energy. Just how it is.

When both were rested Orlando won. Despite Shaq/Jamison/Lebron all having monster games and Vince/Lewis having well below their average game. So what does that tell you?

Call me old school but until somone else is the Eastern Conference Champions then Orlando should be the team to beat. Just like the Lakers are the team to beat in the West.

Besides Orlando easily beat Cleveland in the playoffs last year with a backcourt of Rafer Alston and Courtney Lee. Now we have Nelson/Carter. Tad bit of an upgrade. Also you said the Magic aren't playing at the same level as they were last year. Well answer this. Which team is? The Magic team of last year had struggles as well throughout the year. How fast people forget these things. You're comparing the finals playoff run Orlando Magic with the midway season Orlando Magic. Do you really think that's a fair comparison? Esp considering the Magic have been fighting with injuries and suspensions all year? All that matters is right before the playoffs the team has found their rythm and are healthy. The Magic have been playing pretty great since the all star break. Hopefully they can keep that momentum.

Savy

G-Funk
03-03-2010, 04:56 PM

good points but you have to take into account that the Magic have been hurt this season and are still holding a pretty good record.

Yes the Cavs are playing great but the playoffs are a whole different animal. and the Magic proved that they can beat the best teams even if they don't have the best record. Last year Cavs proved that they can play great during the season, but they also showed their flaws in the post season. So until they prove that they can beat the Magic on a 7 game series, I think that Magic deserve to be the team to beat.

And there is nothing wrong with the Magic being the favorite, You should be feeling great with your teams chances to beat them. And if they do then next year they will defend theirs until someone dethrones them.

JordansBulls
03-03-2010, 05:04 PM
Why are the Cavs the favorites out East? The Magic are the defending champs until someone knocks them out.

In response to the question, the Cavs toughest opponent will be the Orlando Magic. I would not be surprised to see the Magic make the finals again.

Best record in the league. No matter what, I can't justify the team with the best record in the league not being the favorite especially if they have the better player.

TheKing23
03-03-2010, 05:20 PM
Ok fair enough, but then tell me why you consider Cleveland the favorites over the Magic? What gives them the nod? Granted they have a better record by a few games but what does that really matter? Cleveland didn't have near the injuries or suspensions that Orlando had yet Orlando is not far behind Cleveland. It comes down to match ups. Orlando has had Clevelands number for the last 4-5 years. What has drastically changed? Cleveland got a 37 yr old Shaq. Dwight scored the majority of his points on Shaq while grabbing 16 rebounds. Shaq was brought to stop Dwight. It didn't happen. Dwight might not be as strong as Shaq but he's alot faster.

You look at the two current rosters these teams have... Both vastly different from last year. So why use last season's playoffs as a measuring stick for who is the team to beat this year? The only thing we can go by is this season's regular season record and the Cavs 6 game lead over the Magic is a lot bigger than you want to think...

As for injuries and suspensions, there's no real disparity between the two teams:

Magic (key players who have missed games):

Jameer Nelson - 17
Rashard Lewis - 10
Vince Carter - 7

Cavs (key players who have missed games):

Delonte West - 18
Mo Williams - 11
Shaquille O'Neal - 8 (and probably the rest of the regular season)

That looks pretty even to me...

You say the Magic have had the Cavs' number for the last 4-5 years and ask what's changed... Two things. The Magic no longer pose the matchup problems they did last year. With Hedo theoretically being replaced by Carter we no longer have problems containing any of the Magic's perimeter players. The other reason is Shaq. Dwight has averaged 17.3 ppg and 11.3 rpg against the Cavs this season. Those numbers are significantly down from the 25.8 ppg and 13 rpg he averaged in the ECF's. That has been shown by the Cavs winning two of the meetings this season.

Cleveland has won 2 out of 3 games vs the Magic this year but both Magic losses were on Magic back to back games with Cleveland rested. Yes that does make a difference. I play ball and when you don't at least get a days rest its harder to put forth the same energy. Just how it is.

When both were rested Orlando won. Despite Shaq/Jamison/Lebron all having monster games and Vince/Lewis having well below their average game. So what does that tell you?

You have to look more in depth at the boxscore, not just the guys that had a good game for the Cavs and a bad game for the Magic.

Yes, LeBron, Shaq and Antawn all had good games, they combined for 72 points but the rest of the team combined for 23 points on 8-33 and because of that the LeBron, Shaq and Antawn's performances were in vain. It doesn't tell me anything to be honest...

Call me old school but until somone else is the Eastern Conference Champions then Orlando should be the team to beat. Just like the Lakers are the team to beat in the West.

Besides Orlando easily beat Cleveland in the playoffs last year with a backcourt of Rafer Alston and Courtney Lee. Now we have Nelson/Carter. Tad bit of an upgrade. Also you said the Magic aren't playing at the same level as they were last year. Well answer this. Which team is? The Magic team of last year had struggles as well throughout the year. How fast people forget these things. You're comparing the finals playoff run Orlando Magic with the midway season Orlando Magic. Do you really think that's a fair comparison? Esp considering the Magic have been fighting with injuries and suspensions all year? All that matters is right before the playoffs the team has found their rythm and are healthy. The Magic have been playing pretty great since the all star break. Hopefully they can keep that momentum.

Savy

Did you even watch the series? The backcourt was not the problem for either team... They both played poorly. As I said before the problems were with Hedo and Dwight. Hedo's gone and Dwight will be made to work much harder for his points with Shaq in the middle. If it's the Carter of the regular season that shows up in the playoffs, he could prove more of a hindrance than a help. As for your question as to which team is playing as well as they were last season, both the Cavs and Lakers are playing at the same high level they were last year, but the Magic have shown a lot of inconsistencies.

I'm not comparing the two teams, if anything i'm doing the opposite... Last years Magic team shouldn't (and can't) be compared to this years because of the amount of personnel changes. That's why i'm saying LAST years playoff performance should not justify who is the team to beat THIS season is.

If we are to use a more sensible, realistic logic, the Cavs are the team to beat since they have the best record this year. How can you argue against that method of thinking?

I'm not trying to take anything away from the Magic, believe me, but I think it's unfair to say they are the team to beat THIS season because of what they did LAST season.

G-Funk
03-03-2010, 05:56 PM
If we are to use a more sensible, realistic logic, the Cavs are the team to beat since they have the best record this year. How can you argue against that method of thinking?

Because the Cavs proved last year that the best record means nothing.

macc
03-03-2010, 06:57 PM
You look at the two current rosters these teams have... Both vastly different from last year. So why use last season's playoffs as a measuring stick for who is the team to beat this year? The only thing we can go by is this season's regular season record and the Cavs 6 game lead over the Magic is a lot bigger than you want to think...

As for injuries and suspensions, there's no real disparity between the two teams:

Magic (key players who have missed games):

Jameer Nelson - 17
Rashard Lewis - 10
Vince Carter - 7

Cavs (key players who have missed games):

Delonte West - 18
Mo Williams - 11
Shaquille O'Neal - 8 (and probably the rest of the regular season)

That looks pretty even to me...

You say the Magic have had the Cavs' number for the last 4-5 years and ask what's changed... Two things. The Magic no longer pose the matchup problems they did last year. With Hedo theoretically being replaced by Carter we no longer have problems containing any of the Magic's perimeter players. The other reason is Shaq. Dwight has averaged 17.3 ppg and 11.3 rpg against the Cavs this season. Those numbers are significantly down from the 25.8 ppg and 13 rpg he averaged in the ECF's. That has been shown by the Cavs winning two of the meetings this season.

You have to look more in depth at the boxscore, not just the guys that had a good game for the Cavs and a bad game for the Magic.

Yes, LeBron, Shaq and Antawn all had good games, they combined for 72 points but the rest of the team combined for 23 points on 8-33 and because of that the LeBron, Shaq and Antawn's performances were in vain. It doesn't tell me anything to be honest...

Did you even watch the series? The backcourt was not the problem for either team... They both played poorly. As I said before the problems were with Hedo and Dwight. Hedo's gone and Dwight will be made to work much harder for his points with Shaq in the middle. If it's the Carter of the regular season that shows up in the playoffs, he could prove more of a hindrance than a help. As for your question as to which team is playing as well as they were last season, both the Cavs and Lakers are playing at the same high level they were last year, but the Magic have shown a lot of inconsistencies.

I'm not comparing the two teams, if anything i'm doing the opposite... Last years Magic team shouldn't (and can't) be compared to this years because of the amount of personnel changes. That's why i'm saying LAST years playoff performance should not justify who is the team to beat THIS season is.

I'm not trying to take anything away from the Magic, believe me, but I think it's unfair to say they are the team to beat THIS season because of what they did LAST season.

Well we'll just agree to disagree. Last I checked the Orlando Magic are the Eastern Conference Champions. You can call whatever team you want the "team to beat." Until the Cavs can beat the Magic in a 7 game series then the Orlando Magic will STILL be the Eastern Conference Champions.

Plus I don't understand where you think Hedo was our big mis match against you guys. Rashard Lewis on V was a mismatch. Dwight Howard on Z was a mismatch. Hedo was being guarded by West and I thought West did a great job on him since Hedo didn't really go off at all.

I'll admit its alot closer this year and I wouldn't be suprised if the Cavs beat Orlando but I still think it's Magic's series.

JordansBulls
03-03-2010, 10:54 PM
Because the Cavs proved last year that the best record means nothing.

It proves you can get upset with it.

Raph12
03-03-2010, 11:07 PM
I still think Orlando and Charlotte are the two teams with a legit shot at beating the Cavs.

I'm looking forward to a ECFs rematch.

RaptorizedKevin
03-03-2010, 11:13 PM
magic , cats. raptors.

magic upset the cavs last year, and with the shaqless cavs, how will they beat the magic?

the bobcats have been the cavs 3 out of 4 times.

the raptors have beaten the cavs 1/3 times. but the other two losses were a small deficet, and one was a forced OT by the cavs. The raptors were also without bosh. which made them really handycapped, and still compeated well. with a healthy bosh, who knows, maybe they can win again. and tie the series