PDA

View Full Version : Would the 80's Lakers been better drafting Nique over Worthy?

JordansBulls
03-02-2010, 06:31 PM
Would the 80's Lakers been better drafting Nique over Worthy?

I know there is a separate thread on those two individually, but for the team perspective what do you think?

bagwell368
03-02-2010, 09:52 PM
'Nique was too much of an individual. I know some thought that Worthy was a bit of disapointment, but, in the team concept, don't mess around.

I always wish the Lakers could have kept Nixon, he wasn't as great as Magic, but he was damn fine.

Lakersfan2483
03-04-2010, 01:53 AM

I know there is a separate thread on those two individually, but for the team perspective what do you think?

No, Worthy was a better complimentary player and I don't see Dominique being content as a 2nd or 3rd option behind Kareem and Magic.

JordansBulls
03-04-2010, 08:57 AM
[B]

No, Worthy was a better complimentary player and I don't see Dominique being content as a 2nd or 3rd option behind Kareem and Magic.

But coming into the NBA he wasn't a superstar from the get go.

KnicksorBust
03-05-2010, 10:01 AM

No. They won 5 rings in the 80s. I find it hard to believe changing that chemistry could have been anymore successfull.

'Nique was too much of an individual. I know some thought that Worthy was a bit of disapointment, but, in the team concept, don't mess around.

I always wish the Lakers could have kept Nixon, he wasn't as great as Magic, but he was damn fine.

I agree with the first section. About the second part...Why would the Lakers have kept Nixon? Didn't Magic want him gone?

JordansBulls
03-05-2010, 11:52 AM
No. They won 5 rings in the 80s. I find it hard to believe changing that chemistry could have been anymore successfull.

Actually 4 rings as they had already won in 1980 before Worthy was in the league.

rufo4100
03-05-2010, 01:36 PM

NO....Worthy fit into his role as the 3rd option perfectly. There may have been too many hands in the cookie jar is Nique was on the Lakers although the Lakers may have been able to grab the 1991 title with Nique as he had a bit more left in the tank than Worthy at that time.

Lakersfan2483
03-06-2010, 01:10 AM
But coming into the NBA he wasn't a superstar from the get go.

I understand what you are saying, but Nique's style of play and mindset would not have fit the Lakers. He has more of a first option mentality and I just don't see him wanting to take a backseat as his game evolved after his rookie year.