PDA

View Full Version : Lebron James is a Genius. Agree?

coloradobuff
03-02-2010, 01:57 PM
Lebron James wanting to change uniform numbers from 23 to 6 in a show of respect to Michael Jordan.

Well what it will do is spur all sort of new jersey sales for the guy, no matter which team Lebron plays on.

Lebron James (or one of his buddies who recommended this) is a genius, agree?

cubulls
03-02-2010, 02:00 PM
Show of respect for Jordan my ***...If anything his "respect" disrespects the other greats like Magic, Bird, etc...

He can't stand not having the most jersey sales so he has to pull a stunt like this to satisfy his massive ego...

ManRam
03-02-2010, 02:00 PM
The money made from NBA jersey sales go into a pool, and are distributed evenly amongst all NBA players. LeBron doesn't get all the money from his jersey sales. In other words, DeShawn Stevenson will see as much money from LeBron's new jersey sales as LeBron will.

So it wasn't money motivated.

asandhu23
03-02-2010, 02:04 PM
no. he will be an insult to number 6. Julius "Dr J" Erving and Bill Russell. One of the best dunkers of all time ( LeBron backed out of slam dunk contest ) and Bill Russell who played real defense, not that chasedown block crap he pulls off.

He should change his number to 0 as in zero rings.

bigsams50
03-02-2010, 04:10 PM
no. he will be an insult to number 6. Julius "Dr J" Erving and Bill Russell. One of the best dunkers of all time ( LeBron backed out of slam dunk contest ) and Bill Russell who played real defense, not that chasedown block crap he pulls off.

He should change his number to 0 as in zero rings.

So you'd rather let the other team make an easy fast break lay up?

ManRam
03-02-2010, 04:12 PM
Even if you think he is doing this for motives other than what he says...he isn't a genius at all because Jordan, Kobe and millions of others have changed their numbers before, for far fewer reasons.

HansMoleman
03-02-2010, 04:13 PM
:laugh::laugh::laugh:

the lebron hate on this forum is an absolute joke.

ko8e24
03-02-2010, 04:15 PM
To me, it doesn't make sense for him to be changing it now. This MJ #23 respect this is bullcrap. By doing that, yes, you are disrespecting Magic and the other greats. Then nobody should wear 32, or Bird and Kareem's 33, or Wilt's 13, or Russell's 6, or Shaq's 34, or Duncan's 21, or Kobe's 8 or 24. MJ may be the greatest of all time, but you don't just outright single him out, especially from guys who paved the way for MJ.

I think his decision is nonsensical

ko8e24
03-02-2010, 04:16 PM

Hey ladies and gentleman, look, the TROLL IS BACK!

JordansBulls, please BAN this foo from existence

coloradobuff
03-02-2010, 04:16 PM
definitely a marketing ploy

bigsams50
03-02-2010, 04:17 PM

WTF are you talkin about? You contributed to it you ****in idiot

ko8e24
03-02-2010, 04:21 PM
Even if you think he is doing this for motives other than what he says...he isn't a genius at all because Jordan, Kobe and millions of others have changed their numbers before, for far fewer reasons.

The thing with Kobe was that the #8 jersey had basically become tarnished. Other than the 3 championships, the game winner vs Suns in the playoffs, and the 81 pt game, everything else about that jersey to Kobe signified everything wrong about him the first 10 yrs of his career.

That #8 jersey is linked to the words: Selfish, Rapist, Tattle-tell, Ball-Hog, the reputation of chasing SHaq and Phil outta LA, the reputation of breaking up the dynasty and losing the finals in 04 to the Pistons because of his selfishness, not being a team player, etc. etc.

That #8 jersey, what most NBA fans and Lakers fans don't realize, became a stigma of a jersey.

The switch to #24 was indeed a new chapter to the 2nd half of Kobe's career. And #24 has stood nothing but positive in helping bring the Lakers back to elitism, winning championships, his first league mvp in that #24 jersey, and finally winning w/o the Big Fella, getting that Finals MVP trophy. So far, the #24 has portrayed the "Good/Hero Mature Kobe" as opposed to the #8, which portrayed the "Bad/Villain Immature Kobe".

Which is why I say, LeBron doesn't have a true reason to do all of this. He's young, he's only worn the #23 for 7 yrs.

bigsams50
03-02-2010, 04:24 PM
The thing with Kobe was that the #8 jersey had basically become tarnished. Other than the 3 championships, the game winner vs Suns in the playoffs, and the 81 pt game, everything else about that jersey to Kobe signified everything wrong about him the first 10 yrs of his career.

That #8 jersey is linked to the words: Selfish, Rapist, Tattle-tell, Ball-Hog, the reputation of chasing SHaq and Phil outta LA, the reputation of breaking up the dynasty and losing the finals in 04 to the Pistons because of his selfishness, not being a team player, etc. etc.

That #8 jersey, what most NBA fans and Lakers fans don't realize, became a stigma of a jersey.

The switch to #24 was indeed a new chapter to the 2nd half of Kobe's career. And #24 has stood nothing but positive in helping bring the Lakers back to elitism, winning championships, his first league mvp in that #24 jersey, and finally winning w/o the Big Fella, getting that Finals MVP trophy. So far, the #24 has portrayed the "Good/Hero Mature Kobe" as opposed to the #8, which portrayed the "Bad/Villain Immature Kobe".

Which is why I say, LeBron doesn't have a true reason to do all of this. He's young, he's only worn the #23 for 7 yrs.

Great post, i never thought of that being the reason he changed it lol. But i woulda liked him to have kept 8 instead of 24, because now LA is gonna have to retire both ;)

ko8e24
03-02-2010, 04:28 PM
Great post, i never thought of that being the reason he changed it lol. But i woulda liked him to have kept 8 instead of 24, because now LA is gonna have to retire both ;)

But I think if he can choose only 1 to retire, he would choose the #24

bigsams50
03-02-2010, 04:30 PM

Yea i agree.

HoopsDrive
03-02-2010, 04:31 PM

You weren't banned yet? Wtf?

For a moment, I thought you were the OP of this post. W.e.

As for the actual OP, no he isn't a genius. Other players of his caliber have done it before, namely Jordan and Kobe.

JNA17
03-02-2010, 04:31 PM

I agree.

or they can put #24/8 on the jersey :p

RaptorizedKevin
03-02-2010, 05:58 PM
lebrons sheos are gonna be changed now. its not gonna say L 23 anymore. so he iwl lbe making more money.

jimbobjarree
03-02-2010, 06:02 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zC1yUZJEQIk

haha yeah he's a genius

G-Bay New J
03-02-2010, 06:24 PM
Yeah I forgot about his symbol that says LB23. Damn haha I have the LeBron 4's and 5's and a shirt that has that symbol all over it. They just became out dated lol.

save the knicks
03-02-2010, 06:26 PM
Yes it is Genius to discard an entire warehouse full of 23 jerseys

Am i the only who sees this as a net loss for the NBA

If i'm Stern i say no way LBJ you're going to have to move if you want a new number because there is no way that in a down economy joe blow is going to waste his hard earned scrap on a number 6 jersey when he already has one that says Lebron on the back.

Raps08-09 Champ
03-02-2010, 06:26 PM
Rake in the money Lebron!

bigsams50
03-02-2010, 06:44 PM

haha yeah he's a genius

:laugh:

JasonJohnHorn
03-02-2010, 07:07 PM
Any guy who can make the highlight reel for picking his nose and biting his nails while he sits on the bench in the fourth qaurter of a blow out has got to be pretty awesome!

JNA17
03-02-2010, 07:09 PM

haha yeah he's a genius

:laugh:

ldc62
03-02-2010, 08:00 PM
Change his number to 00. 1) Thats original 2) Symbolizes his whole career, 0 rings with Cavs and 0 rings with his new team. We have enough threads glorifying Lebron and Kobe [And Rose], we don't need anymore. Lebron is in no way considered an intelligent individual (and I am not saying this just because he came out of HS).

lebrons sheos are gonna be changed now. its not gonna say L 23 anymore. so he iwl lbe making more money.

:facepalm: How? People who are fans will always buy his shoe, its not like they will throw away their old pairs and buy the new ones just because of the number. If you like him, you're going to buy his shoe regardless of the number. 23 or 6, it really doesn't make a difference in any way at all. Like some guy pointed out already, he doesn't make anymore money on jerseys by switching his number...

Robbw241
03-02-2010, 08:08 PM

haha yeah he's a genius

Lame

Robbw241
03-02-2010, 08:10 PM

haha yeah he's a genius

Lameo yes a double post was necessary

D1JM
03-02-2010, 08:16 PM

so those are his reasons or your reasons to defend that kobe was in all his right to change number, but lebron cant?

Sanchez4Life
03-02-2010, 08:26 PM
Lebron sayed he wants to be a laker.

COBY KARL
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=AmOli_b3AyXiSrqfv3piXQW8vLYF?slug=aw-lebronjordan030210&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

boom

RaiderLakersA's
Lebron James wanting to change uniform numbers from 23 to 6 in a show of respect to Michael Jordan.

Well what it will do is spur all sort of new jersey sales for the guy, no matter which team Lebron plays on.

No, sorry, this does not elevate to the level of "genius" in my book.

It's not necessarily a brilliant idea if he was planning on leaving Cleveland anyway.

And if he's staying in Cleveland...well, I suppose news hasn't penetrated the cult psyche there yet, but players have changed numbers before in the NBA. I know upon hearing that, the room may be spinning and you might be experiencing shortness of breath. Take a seat and let it sink in...yes, that's right, other players have changed jersey numbers before, too. In fact, well before LeBron came along. It doesn't make LeBron a genius because he's changing his number now.

ARMIN12NBA
03-02-2010, 08:32 PM
His PR team is definitely genius. This move should have been made a long time ago. He needs to separate himself from Jordan if he ever wants to be considered better than Jordan.

In terms of the Kobe number change talk (page 1 of thread), Kobe wanted the #24 at first, but a Laker already had that number so he went with the #8. Of course, as ko8e mentioned, there came a time where Kobe had to repair his image and a part of that, for him, was to change his number and to change it to a number he wanted all along.

bigsams50
03-02-2010, 08:40 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=AmOli_b3AyXiSrqfv3piXQW8vLYF?slug=aw-lebronjordan030210&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

boom

This means literally nothing

COBY KARL
03-02-2010, 08:57 PM
This means literally nothing

this thread doesn't either. its just an opinion like what we post.

Pharoe18
03-02-2010, 08:59 PM
He should have done this last year so LeBron fans can buy the LeBron #23 Cavs jersey, the LeBron #6 Cavs jersey and the LeBron #6 Heat jerset...

kjdills13
03-02-2010, 09:04 PM
what people should really by focusing on is this.

The deadline for jersey number changes for next year if you are staying with the same team the following year is tomorow. So the fact that he did this kinda gives us a hint that he is staying in CLEAVLAND, bc if he wasnt staying in cleavland he wouldnt need to file this. so the real topic is and the real title of this thread should be does the fact that lebron james put in his number change hint that he will be a CAV next year and the awnser to that question is yes

GodsSon
03-02-2010, 09:10 PM
I'm sure the NBA is loving it since they'll increase profit, but I don't think LeBron really profits that much off of it lol

bigsams50
03-02-2010, 09:17 PM
what people should really by focusing on is this.

The deadline for jersey number changes for next year if you are staying with the same team the following year is tomorow. So the fact that he did this kinda gives us a hint that he is staying in CLEAVLAND, bc if he wasnt staying in cleavland he wouldnt need to file this. so the real topic is and the real title of this thread should be does the fact that lebron james put in his number change hint that he will be a CAV next year and the awnser to that question is yes

Yes is not the answer, i dont think he's made up his mind if he's gonna leave or not, and just in case he doesnt leave he wanted to make sure he'll be able to wear 6

D1JM
03-02-2010, 09:27 PM
I'm sure the NBA is loving it since they'll increase profit, but I don't think LeBron really profits that much off of it lol

I think he even loses out on money cuz of all his merchandise with the LB23

Corey
03-02-2010, 09:33 PM
I didn't read the thread...But I still find it very silly that he is changing his number to show respect to MJ, yet he is switching his number to what Bill Russell and Dr. J wore.

jimbobjarree
03-02-2010, 09:35 PM
Lebron sayed he wants to be a laker.

Lebron Sayed...the Arabian basketball prodigy?

Ray_R
03-02-2010, 09:42 PM

:nod:

AndDidnt Kobe do the same ****.

RapToronto95
03-02-2010, 09:45 PM
Lebron Sayed...the Arabian basketball prodigy?

lol, i doubt people will get your joke, many people may not know how to spell/read.

but about this number changing thing, i dont see anything wrong with it. maybe he wants to change his number because he wants to start fresh with a new team? or like kobe, have a new identity with a number.

whitekimbo
03-02-2010, 10:05 PM

kobe already did it. plus its common sense if u get a new number, people will buy ur new jersey and you will get more money. that doesnt make him a genius at all.

CAVS21
03-02-2010, 10:05 PM

Oh give me a break..oooooff cooourrrrrrse there's an excuse for Kobe doing it..........you LBJ haters are absolutely F***ING ridiculous

Lakersfanla24
03-02-2010, 10:33 PM

boom

pretty much what i was thinking best part of that article came at the end here it is for all you lebron nut riders

This time, the Cavs have delivered James the supporting cast to do it. No more excuses. James comes armed for the Lakers now. He comes with his legacy on the line, measured in one indisputable and defining way: Before he beats him in the NBA Store, LeBron James needs to beat Kobe Bryant in the NBA Finals. keep that in mind ;)

ko8e24
03-02-2010, 10:37 PM
so those are his reasons or your reasons to defend that kobe was in all his right to change number, but lebron cant?

Lol when did I say that. LeBron can do whatever he wants. I won't take any offense, I promise, lol.

All I'm saying is that he doesn't have a true motive. kobe did it cuz he wanted to salvage his image. MJ did it because he played minor league baseball #45, and that number reminded him of his father (who passed away a yr before Jordan made his comback as #45).

ko8e24
03-02-2010, 10:40 PM
Oh give me a break..oooooff cooourrrrrrse there's an excuse for Kobe doing it..........you LBJ haters are absolutely F***ING ridiculous

goobers