PDA

View Full Version : Iverson and 76ers to end relationship

kblo247
03-02-2010, 02:10 AM
http://twitter.com/deepsixer3

According to a source, 76ers will officially part ways with Allen Iverson, update from Sixers likely coming in next 48 hours.

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/deep-sixer/This_mess_gets_messier_.html

Allen Iverson will not return to the 76ers this season, this confirmed by a source close to the team. An official update is expected from the Sixers sometime soon, likely within the next two days. Since Iverson took his second leave on Feb. 20, again for personal reasons, it has been assumed that Iverson was not likely to return to the team. Those assumptions are now confirmed.

It appears like the second marriage ended no better than the first and in all honesty the best AI can hope for is a spot with the Knicks as he will be cut too late to join a playoff team unless Stern does him one hell of a favor

JNA17
03-02-2010, 02:12 AM
poor AI, can't even end his career with his first team :(

Strumpy
03-02-2010, 02:13 AM
Wow ummm... that was a short farewell tour...

JiggaJayZ
03-02-2010, 02:58 AM
Allen Iverson Will Not Return To Sixers Says Team Source (http://blacksportsonline.com/home/index.php/2010/03/breaking-news-allen-iverson-will-not-return-to-sixers-says-team-source/)

yep done deal

VIP1349
03-02-2010, 03:00 AM
Would have much preferred to see him have one last good year, really a shame what happened.

ko8e24
03-02-2010, 03:52 AM
:sigh:

AI, just sign those retirement papers buddy, and just bid farewell to the basketball world in a respectable fashion. You don't have anything else to offer. Take care of the familia, and stay strong.

JLynn943
03-02-2010, 03:57 AM
Really sad that its going to end like this...

td0tsfinest
03-02-2010, 11:37 AM
Its sad to see one of the greatest scorers this game has ever seen go down like this.

MJ-BULLS
03-02-2010, 11:39 AM
well he had a great career, it's not a good way to go out.

ink
03-02-2010, 11:43 AM
I think this seriously tarnishes his career. For those of us who have been skeptical about AI for a long time, this really just confirms what we've been saying. How many second chances does a supposed HOFer need? Denver, Detroit, Memphis, back to Philadelphia, and now they want to cut ties with him. Getting to play with Denver was essentially calling his bluff about needing to play with a good team to have a chance at winning. It's sad the way this has played out.

JayW_1023
03-02-2010, 12:05 PM
Maybe he can join Marbury in China.

mser58
03-02-2010, 12:26 PM
see yah AI, he should call it

bahama0811
03-02-2010, 12:27 PM
I really hope he just calls it quits. I feel bad for how his career has turned out.

DRUNKCHIKSDIGME
03-02-2010, 12:28 PM
Personally, aside from being a great scorer, if he didn't such a big stink over things like practice, and having to come off the bench in a team sport, he'd be much more likeable.

Although he is caring for family at this time, This news comes as no surprise, nor drawed any significan sympathy. I wish him luck as he approaches retirement but don't bother returning to the game. There will be no buyers for his service.

AIMelo=KillaDUO
03-02-2010, 12:51 PM
I never ever thought these words would come from me... but, I think AI needs to just retire. Time to hang up them RbK's :cry:

Raph12
03-02-2010, 01:31 PM
Poor AI, I hope things go well for his daughter and she makes a full recovery.

dougie5627
03-02-2010, 02:02 PM
i feel sorry for the guy i hope he comes back for a 10 day contract to go out with a bang, nobody should have to retire due to taking care of a family member. hes played well for the sixers scoring passing and he changed his game to compliment others. if you look at the sixers record they did **** loads better with him in the team but at this stage of the season they are looking to get lottery balls so keeping AI isnt the best option for them. AI is a legend and should be shown the respect for what he has done for this franchise. oh and i dont recall him *****ing or missing practice since he became a sixer again.

coloradobuff
03-02-2010, 04:26 PM
So the 76ers have severed their ties to Allen Iverson.

Do you think there is any chance he comes back and tries to sign with a playoff contending team?

He still has some gas in the tank, yes?

SteveNash
03-02-2010, 04:29 PM
Good riddance, one of the worse players in NBA history. Hopefully he comes back to another team just so they can cut him after realizing they're better off without him.

KeithLBC
03-02-2010, 04:43 PM
Nope, he's done. I don't think anyone will sign him. At this point it's too late to try to integrate him into a playoff team's offense and any team that's not going to make the playoffs wouldn't have any need for him as they'd probably want to get their younger guys more experience. Has he been released yet? If not, he's not playoff eligible.

SACNYY
03-02-2010, 05:30 PM
He's done.

Zefflin
03-02-2010, 05:48 PM
Ouch, that's gotta hurt AI.

Raidaz4Life
03-02-2010, 05:57 PM
He has been done since last year but people still see his name and imagine him as a good player

ManRam
03-02-2010, 06:01 PM
I don't think his tank is empty, but I do think he wont be playing again this year.

Maybe next year...

abe_froman
03-02-2010, 06:03 PM
yeah,he's done.think he'll retire in the offseason,dont think there will be any takers for next year either

SlaterRaps
03-02-2010, 06:09 PM
hes not out cause they bought him out
hes out cause his daughter is sick and he needs to be with her
so no he will not sign with someone else for the playoffs
doubt he goes anywhere next year after the season he had

king4day
03-02-2010, 06:12 PM
I thought it was a mutual parting. I don't think he returns this season.

Kakaroach
03-02-2010, 06:52 PM
Thats sad to hear, best wishes to his family.

I think we have seen the last of AI on the court.

PLAYERS FAN
03-02-2010, 07:11 PM
Ouch, that's gotta hurt AI.

One of the host on PTI said that Iverson was seen in a club last weekend:laugh2: If this is true, Iverson is just using his daughter sickness as a excuse because he know the 76ers are not going to the playoff this year. I can't see Iverson taking a leave of absence if Philly was a playoff team.

ink
03-02-2010, 07:16 PM
One of the host on PTI said that Iverson was seen in a club last weekend:laugh2: If this is true, Iverson is just using his daughter sickness as a excuse because he know the 76ers are not going to the playoff this year. I can't see Iverson taking a leave of absence if Philly was a playoff team.

About the bolded part. That was in one of the links at the beginning of this thread too. Hey, I have kids. No matter what happens with them, I'm expected to go to work. I might get a few days off here or there but there's no excuse for taking the season off. They're parting ways because he won't play the role they have for him, and they don't need him if he doesn't want to give them what they need. The rest is just public relations. He gets paid for playing basketball, not just for being famous.

Mrphilly
03-02-2010, 07:28 PM
Iverson won't be returning because if his very ill daughter, not because of basketball reasons. Iverson was a model citizen for the sixers. He played hard,but at the same time took a backseat to those overpaid bums on the team. Iverson can still play, did anybody see the sixer laker game when him and Kobe were going at it?

To the person that said You wouldn't get this much time off if your kid was sick. Who cares how much time you would get off, his daughter doesn't have chicken pox, she is really sick.

ink
03-02-2010, 11:38 PM
I know she is really sick. I still question that he has to take the season off because of it. If he was a meaningful part of the team or the NBA he'd be with his team. Like I said, I have kids and I know people whose kids have been in a Sick Children's Hospital with terminal cancer. There is no need for a parent to be there all the time when doctors are doing everything they can. I certainly understand being there for key treatments and keeping track of what's happening at home all the time, but that doesn't mean he needs to take the year off. He's taking the year off because he isn't a contributing NBA player any more. That's the point.

Meth
03-03-2010, 03:48 AM
Wish the best for AI. Just don't spend a ton of your NBA career money and become bankrupt.

zadora5
03-03-2010, 10:23 AM
i saw him at that club :facepalm: he's a tool