PDA

View Full Version : Would it be acceptable if......???

Swashcuff
03-01-2010, 10:34 PM
If a high profile star of a team who has never won a Championship gets injured just before the play-offs start his team gets motivation from this play in his Honour and still goes on to win the Championship would you guys accept it as him winning the Championship or would you say he was just a part of the team?

I didn't want to but I'll use an example to illustrate my point.

Lets say LeBron or Dirk (or any other star player) gets injured and has to miss the play-offs and their team goes on to win the title would there still be an argument that he is still yet to win one for himself. Would it put to rest the whole "LeBron/Dirk needs to win a ring before they can be considered as one of the greatest"? Or will it just be something to further state that the way in which said player won it is not acceptable.

I know its far-fetched but what do you guys think?

ko8e24
03-01-2010, 10:39 PM
Yes the player has earned it because of the time span that he was available to be playing on the basketball court, he did his job within that time frame. Helping lead the team into the playoffs and building up the chemistry was the first step. The regular season is a good base for what you eventually what to do in the playoffs.

Lakersfanla24
03-01-2010, 10:39 PM
Technically it would still count as an NBA championship for that person in history but in the eyes of the fans no. Take t-mac for example last year while he was injured rockets made it past the first round yet Mac is still viewed as a player whos never made it past the first round.

Swashcuff
03-01-2010, 10:58 PM
Technically it would still count as an NBA championship for that person in history but in the eyes of the fans no. Take t-mac for example last year while he was injured rockets made it past the first round yet Mac is still viewed as a player whos never made it past the first round.

very good point

ko8e24
03-01-2010, 11:01 PM

But T-Mac didn't really set a true standard or ground during the regular season either. He was in and out of the lineup every 3-4 games. So I wouldn't say that's the greatest example.

PurpleJesus
03-01-2010, 11:12 PM
I dont think a team could win a championhip without their star, so it will never happen...even when Boston won, they wouldnt have won without pierce or KG

Lakersfanla24
03-01-2010, 11:13 PM
its not the best example but it was the first one that came to mind when i read the topic.

Swashcuff
03-01-2010, 11:14 PM
I dont think a team could win a championhip without their star, so it will never happen...even when Boston won, they wouldnt have won without pierce or KG

I said it was far fetched. I could see the Lakers still competing even without Kobe. Can they win a Title, unlikely but just for the sake of argument lets just say a team can.

Swashcuff
03-01-2010, 11:19 PM
its not the best example but it was the first one that came to mind when i read the topic.

The point is that it shows that some teams can perform well even without thier superstar/best player in the line-up (as McGrady was for a great deal of the season).

Chacarron
03-01-2010, 11:26 PM
I think it is acceptable and would actually inspire the injured player to try even harder to do it again next year with him in the lineup.

Meth
03-01-2010, 11:36 PM
I had a feeling we're talking about Kobe, but now I've changed my mind.

Avenged
03-01-2010, 11:45 PM
I had a feeling we're talking about Kobe, but now I've changed my mind.

I have a feeling this thread is due to Shaq's injury.

Swashcuff
03-01-2010, 11:48 PM
I have a feeling this thread is due to Shaq's injury.

No it was just a thought. I wondered how well certain teams would be without their best player in the wake of Wade's and Bosh's injuries which have seen their respective teams play like they belong in the D-League.

_KB24_
03-01-2010, 11:52 PM
No, the playoffs is where history is made. If you want to be known for winning a ring, you have to prove you can handle what it takes when it matters most. Thats why guys like Barkely and Malone/Stockton, are sadly overlooked upon, even though Malone/Stokcton are Top 5 at their position of all time.