PDA

View Full Version : NBA Mock Deadline Playoffs - #2 Denver Nuggets vs #3 New Orleans Hornets

BlondeBomber41
03-01-2010, 01:07 PM
This season we did a mock trade deadline in which users on this site took over as GM's of every team in the NBA. The goal was to improve your team the most before the real life trade deadline. The users then voted on playoff seedings of the other conference, and now its up to you to vote for who wins each matchup.

Please remember that this is just a game and there is no reason to vote for a team just because thats actually your favorite team in real life. Everybody worked really hard on their teams and it's only fair that you judge each team based on that teams talent, not that teams name.

At the bottom each team has sent in a write up explaining why they feel they would win the series. Please read each writeup before you make your decision, to be fair to the GM's who wrote it.

Denver has the homecourt advantage due to being the higher seed.

Denver Nuggets Lineup

PG: Chauncey Billups / Antonio Daniels
SG: Raja Bell / Joey Graham
SF: Carmelo Anthony / Lamar Odom
PF: Antawn Jamison / Anderson Varejao
C: Shaquille O'Neal / Johan Petro

New Orleans Hornets Lineup

C: Emeka Okafor/ Nick Collison/ Josh Boone
PF: Josh Smith/ Darius Songalia/ Ike Diogu
SF: Danny Granger/Devin Brown/ Stephen Graham
SG: Ray Allen/ Rashad McCants/ Eddie House
PG: Louis Williams/Mike Bibby/Eddie House

Denver Nuggets Writeup
Denver Nuggets welcome the Hornets in the 2nd round of the playoffs. I respect the Hornets for not being shy making moves, and I do agree most of them were good trades. I just don't know if he has put together a good team that would work.

Hornets feature three 3 point shooters in their offense, one perimeter face up power forward, and an undersized center with no true offensive game. Defensively, their front court has good defenders, but they also have one of the worst defensive back courts in the league.

At this point of their careers, Mike Bibby and Ray Allen are only good spot up shooters who get most their points off of teammate's penetration and dish, double teams, and post kick outs. But in this Hornets team, they have no double team worthy player, nor any threatening post presences, nor a great penetrate and dish type player. Josh Smith is probably their best "play maker", because Danny Granger is not known as a good creator and passer. So I question how effective their back court can be on the offensive end. Defensively Bibby is not a good defender. Billups would be able to win this match up on both ends of the floor. Ray Allen still have some game in him, I'm not trying to make him sound like nothing more than a spot up shooter, but we also have a great defender in Raja Bell who can slow down players such as Kobe Bryant, Dwade, Joe Johnson, so we're confident that Ray Allen would not be able to go off on us at all.

Danny Granger is a great player, in fantasyland. Thanks to his 7-8 attempts behind the arc every game. But as your first option on a playoff team, would you really want to depend on 3 point shooting? He shoots 40% from the field and average less than 3 assists, and 2.5 TOs a game. Simply put, he's not a very efficient offensive player, and doesn't create much open shots for his teammates. Against a Carmelo Anthony, who's arguably a top 5 player this season. We are confident we have this match up won as well. Carmelo puts up better numbers than Granger, while sharing responsibilities in leading the Nuggets to a top 4 record. He should be in the MVP race. An unstoppable scorer, who can score in any imaginable way, who also improved his defense.

Josh Smith, I'll start off by saying I love watching him play. He's a great help defender, but some question his ability to guard his own man well. He's another face up player who prefers driving to the hoop or take jumpers, although he does have a decent post game. Jamison on the other hand is one of those veterans who'll be perfect for a contending team. He just does his job and plays. He can come off the bench, be the first option, or a 3rd option on a team, you'll never hear him complain. He's also one of those rare players who can average 20-10 a game. Some like Josh Smith over Jamison, and I don't blame them. But I think they're closer than you may think. On this Nuggets team, Jamison if a much better fit who can post up, rebound, and hit perimeter shots when the Hornets double on Melo, and Shaq or through Billup's penetration and kick.

Shaq vs Okafor. Okafor is a very good defender, with a very under developed offensive game. As good a defender he is, I question his ability to guard Shaq. Okafor is the type of defender I would use to guard the Boshs, KGs, Duncans, of the league. But against a powerful, dominant Shaq, he is just too weak, and undersized. Shaq is a decent defender at this stage of his career. Most underrate his defense because of his horrible pick and roll defense. But Okafor is not a good pick and roll player on the offensive end, so I think Shaq will be able to contain Okafor very well, especially with his lack of offensive game.

Our bench is also much better than the Hornets. We have Lamar Odom who can match up very well with Smith. We have Varejao when Shaq wants a breather, and we won't lose a beat because we'll push the ball more (and we're able to with a great PG). How does the Hornets match up with us when we start to run? They don't have a great PG, or a great ball handler to run and gun. Lou Williams is a great young player. But there's a reason why he's always in and out of a lottery team's starting lineup. Although a good player, he's nowhere near the 6th man Odom is. Their next best bench player is McCants who's out of the league, or Collison whom we have Varejao to match up with.

All in all, Hornets will present a good series for us. But we're just too versatile on the offensive end, and have the players to contain them on the defensive end. Again, Hornets have great individual players, but how are they going to work as a team when their 1-2-3 plays almost the same game (perimeter and 3pt shooting), no true post presence as Josh Smith is more of a face up PF, and no great creator who can create shots for other teammates.

Thanks for reading. Good luck to both teams in the 2nd round.

New Orleans Hornets Writeup:
PG- Louis Williams v. Chauncey Billups

Chauncey Billups is a top five point guard in the league. But he in no way, is unstoppable. For this matchup, we will start Louis Williams against him. Louís averaging 14.7 points, 4 assists, 3 rebounds, 1.4 steals, 1.6 turnovers on 47% shooting. We expect all these number to go up this series as he will see more than the 30 minutes heís used to seeing. Lou Will is one of the fastest players in the game and we believe the best way to stop Billups is to wear him down. Billups has only averaged 33 minutes per game this season, and we believe by chasing Lou Will around the court, we can get that minute total to under 30. Billups is 33 right now and father time is catching up to him, and thus has slowed down. Lou will get him fits, and be able to penetrate into the paint against him, this further sets up our shooters on the perimeter in Ray and Granger. This will be a long series due to the competitiveness of our two teams, and by the end, I think Billups will be worn down.

SG- Ray Allen v. Raja Bell

Raja Bell has played in only 6 games this season. He will not nearly be as effective as he was in past seasons. And against Ray Allen, one of the most savvy scorers in the game, a rusty, 33 year old Bell will have his hands full. Bellís only averaged 25 minutes per game this season and coming off a major injury, I think heíll even be limited more. Rayís the best 3 point shooter of our generation and Bell wonít be able to stop Allen from scoring his efficent 17 points per game.

SF- Danny Granger v. Carmelo Anthony

Two star small forwards in this matchup. Needless to say, Melo is the better player at this point in time, but Granger is no slouch. Heís a star in his own right and does many of the same things Anthony does. One thing he is better however, is ball handling, turning over the ball .7 less times per game while carrying similar loads. Granger also has an inch and some pounds on Melo, and with the Nuggs only having 10 players in all, Melo will have to play around 45 minutes per game, a fresher Granger, relieved by the depth of the Hornets bench might be able to wear out Melo.

PF- Josh Smith v. Antwan Jamison

Antwan Jamison is a good player. Too bad, Josh Smith is better. Smith is better both defensively and offensively. Josh Smith, the All-star snub this year has always been known as a great defender. He will be able to keep Antwan Jamison in check, forcing him into shots way outside the perimeter. Antwanís only been shooting around 43% this year, and with Smith on his tail, that percentage will dip below 40. On the other hand, Smith has evolved into one of the most efficient offensive big men in the game, shooting 52% from the field. Smith will have a field day against Antwanís crap D. Smith has the advantage in this matchup by a significant margin.

C- Emeka Okafor v. Shaquille OíNeal
Had this been the Shaq of 5, even 2 years ago, then Shaq would dominate this series. Too bad, the Nuggs have a 38 year old Shaq who can barely stay on the floor for 23 minutes a game. Plus heís not even the monstrous rebounder he once was only getting in 6.7 per contest now. Meka will be able to wear him down once again, similar to the rest of my starters and their older counterparts. Okafor will while a bit of a tweener, is strong enough to take on the aging Big NuggetÖ hehe I say I have the slight advantage in this matchup.

Bench PG- Mike Bibby v. Antonio Daniels
Mike Bibby is a starter in real life on a contender. Daniels hasnít even played this year. Bibby rapes Daniels.

Bench SG- Rashad McCants v. Joey Graham
McCants is a very good scorer off the bench and Graham isnít particularly great at anything. I win again.

Bench SF- Devin Brown v. Lamar Odom
Odomís a great 6th man. Brown is a underated backup. Heís averaging 9 ppg a game while playing good D. Odom wins obviously, but itís closer than you think.

Bench PF- Darius Songalia v. Anderson Varajeo
Songalia is a great post scorer to have off the bench but Varajeo is a very good rebounder and defender. I say Varajeo is better but itís all a matter of preference here. Iíd rather have the scoring of Songalia than the defense of Varajeo since I already have atleast 35 minutes of clamp down D by J-Smoove

Bench C- Nick Collison v. John ĎPoopí Petro
Yes, thatís right. Poop is backing up the Big Nugget. Looks like heíll have to play the other 25 minutes, Shaq canít play since heís too old. Collison poops on Petro. Thatís where Petro gets his nickname. Hehe. I win this matchup easily.

CONCLUSION:
The Denver Nuggets are a good team. However, I think in the end, their lack of depth (having only 10 players) and starting lineup age outside of Melo is a recipe for disaster. An injury to anyone on the Nuggs will prove deadly, and in a long, grueling matchup, this series looks to be, my younger, deeper Hornets will slug out and wear down the much older Nuggets. Hornets in 6.

jimbobjarree
03-01-2010, 01:29 PM
most teams go to an 8/9 man rotation come playoff time, I doubt Denver having only 10 players will hurt at all, especialy with a solid first 7

clehmun
03-01-2010, 01:53 PM
Looks like the Hornets' change their starting lineup to play against us. Normally, I'd say this is a good move. But when you think about it, it's never good to switch line-ups midway through the playoffs (dallas did it when warriors upset them, and magic messed up their PG rotation in the finals).

But saying Lou Williams will wear down Billups is a bit too much. Lou Williams isn't even a full time starter on a lottery team in Philly, he does give you a quicker penetrator, but he's also much smaller than Billups who can basically shot over him, and/or post him up all day.

In the playoffs, it's all about experience and execution. and i guess my "old" nuggets will take the young guns to school ;)

DaddyCool
03-01-2010, 02:53 PM
Lou Will is a inch shorter than Billups I believe. Anyways more votes!

pebloemer
03-01-2010, 03:00 PM
I took New Orleans. A lot of the series would depend on how the teams dictate the tempo, but overall I like New Orleans better as a team. Billups and Anthony is a lethal 1-2, but I liked Denver's supporting cast better prior to the trades made.

clehmun
03-01-2010, 03:02 PM
Lou Will is a inch shorter than Billups I believe. Anyways more votes!

2 inches, 30 lbs to be exact ;)

and again, don't try to mislead the voters by saying Johan Petro will play 25+ minutes. We'll run a 8-9 man rotation (like most playoffs teams do). Varejao will back up Shaq, Odom will back up Jamison and sometimes Melo. Sometimes Odom and Jamison can play together as well since your front court isn't exactly BIG, and that would create a huge mismatch since Okafor would have to guard one of them. Okafor doesn't have the offensive game to take advantage of being guarded by jamison or odom, and both Odom and Jamison are great rebounders. i like my versatility.
Daniels can play 1 or 2, Joey Graham can play 2-3. Johan will probably see less than 5 minutes a game, or possibly more when we blow you guys out :D

DaddyCool
03-01-2010, 03:07 PM
2 inches, 30 lbs to be exact ;)

and again, don't try to mislead the voters by saying Johan Petro will play 25+ minutes. We'll run a 8-9 man rotation (like most playoffs teams do). Varejao will back up Shaq, Odom will back up Jamison and sometimes Melo. Sometimes Odom and Jamison can play together as well since your front court isn't exactly BIG, and that would create a huge mismatch since Okafor would have to guard one of them. Okafor doesn't have the offensive game to take advantage of being guarded by jamison or odom, and both Odom and Jamison are great rebounders. i like my versatility.
Daniels can play 1 or 2, Joey Graham can play 2-3. Johan will probably see less than 5 minutes a game, or possibly more when we blow you guys out :D

I went off of your clubhouse haha. Not my fault you didn't bother to make it accurate.

clehmun
03-01-2010, 03:12 PM
I went off of your clubhouse haha. Not my fault you didn't bother to make it accurate.

My clubhouse does not state the minute distributions. It's just a depth chart of how many players i have, and who they are.
According to your club house: SF - Danny Granger/Devin Brown/ Stephen Graham. Does that mean they'll split minutes evenly each play 16 minutes a game?

Also, we've been through this in the mock deadline forum a few days ago. And after my explaination, you replied: "ok fair enough". So obviously you knew about my rotation.

DaddyCool
03-01-2010, 03:17 PM
My clubhouse does not state the minute distributions. It's just a depth chart of how many players i have, and who they are.
According to your club house: SF - Danny Granger/Devin Brown/ Stephen Graham. Does that mean they'll split minutes evenly each play 16 minutes a game?

Also, we've been through this in the mock deadline forum a few days ago. And after my explaination, you replied: "ok fair enough". So obviously you knew about my rotation.

That SF - Danny Granger/Devin Brown/ Stephen Graham comparison is completely irrevalent. You know that lol. Granger unlike Shaq can play 40 minutes a game. So Granger then will play 40 minutes... Shaq, 25 is about the tops. Your clubhouse says C: Shaq/Petro. What does that lead me to believe? Shaq plays 25 minutes, petro plays the rest 23. I didn't make up **** or anything unlike your 16 minutes for each thing.

And yes I did reply, "Ok, fair enough" but only because I assumed you would fix up your clubhouse before any potential matchup. Which you didn't. I did nothing wrong if that's what your trying to say. I went off of your clubhouse, so in no way am I trying to mislead anyone...
Anyways, drop it. Not gonna go argue back and forth again. No need to respond to this post.

Westbrook36
03-01-2010, 08:16 PM
Interesting matchup..We need more votes (Mine will come soon too)

zadora5
03-01-2010, 08:21 PM
nuggets no doubt

Phoolô
03-01-2010, 08:25 PM
The Nuggets = The Real Life Cavs.

ldc62
03-01-2010, 08:31 PM
Tough one, but I went Nuggets. PF-C could cancel each other out, but PG-SG-SF as a whole was better for the Nuggs.

clehmun
03-01-2010, 11:47 PM
more votes?

Mile High Champ
03-01-2010, 11:56 PM
Nuggets hands down. No way the Hornets should of made it this far..

astrosmaniac
03-02-2010, 12:08 AM
i should have beat the hornets :(

well at least i was close