PDA

View Full Version : Biggest trade deadline winner

mikantsass
03-01-2010, 11:22 AM
Who do you think is the biggest winner from the trade deadline?

Mavs- Got Butler and Haywood. 2 Starters contributing. Mavs are really rolling as of late

Cavs- Got Jamison, just in time cuz Shaq is out now

Rockets- Got the scorer they needed with Martin and got a 1st rounder from NY and a talent in Hill

Bulls- Did a great job of clearing cap space for their run this summer. Plus Warrick is playing well for them

Clippers- Like the Bulls, they cleared space to make a run this summer (if they can get anyone to go there lol)

Bucks- Got Salmons, their team is hot as of late

Knicks- See Clippers and Bulls

Other- Other teams that you feel were winners?

J-Relo
03-01-2010, 11:33 AM
Cavs and Mavs got most compared to what they gave up.

Cavs got Jamison for a late 1st rounder. They get BIG Z back when it's playoff time.

Mavs got two great players and one nice bench player in Stevenson, gave up nothing that special, Howard was nice but injuries took his game over...

Swashcuff
03-01-2010, 11:34 AM
Mavs the filled the gaps they had and the players are paying their dues. Arguably the most complete team in the league.

TheKing23
03-01-2010, 11:38 AM
In regards to helping the team win this season, the Cavs and Mavs were the biggest winners.

The Mavs have obviously demonstrated how serious they are about contending by going on a 6 game winning streak since the trade. I personally think they have what it takes to upset the Lakers in a seven game series.

Since his shaky start, Jamison has looked fantastic. He's really starting to get a feel for the offense and his high offensive IQ has shone through as he's already making pinpoint cuts to the baskets for LeBron to find him and he's finding his touch from outside. It's pretty much a given that Z's gonna re-sign, so the Cavs gave up a 30th pick for Jamison... That is trade RAPE.

The Knicks and Bulls did a good job in preparing for 2010, but I have a bad feeling the Knicks eagerness to give up those 1st rounders could come back and haunt them... If they don't manage to pick up a LeBron/Bosh/Wade those picks could be high, so I dunno... Could be a mistake.

The Rockets did a good job in getting young talent, a proven scorer and some intriguing picks for a guy that would've gone for nothing in the summer.

In short I think the two main winners of the trade deadline, the Cavs and Mavs will meet in the June...

mudvayne387
03-01-2010, 11:39 AM
Mavs for this season

Knicks in the broader scheme of things. People don't realize that Rodriguez is there potential PG of the future. Not to mention that extra 9 Mill coming of the books is absolutely huge.

SpeeMN
03-01-2010, 11:44 AM
Mavs for obvious reasons

ROCKETS - They got Kevin Martin. They got the #8 pick in last years draft in Hill. And then a first rounder and the rights to switch first rounders with knicks. All for Landry and Mcgrady. Landry leaving hurts, but hill is there to fill in if needed. And with Yao coming back next year, they are as strong as they were a couple years back when healthy.

amoore87
03-01-2010, 12:03 PM
mavs

mikantsass
03-01-2010, 12:12 PM
Yeah i figured the Mavs would be the popular pick

znick21
03-01-2010, 12:27 PM
Mavs for this season

Knicks in the broader scheme of things. People don't realize that Rodriguez is there potential PG of the future. Not to mention that extra 9 Mill coming of the books is absolutely huge.

if he is there pg of the future they are in troubleee. i've watched him since he came into the league his shot is horrible, he goes for the big play way too often instead of just setting up the offense, and his defense is suspect at best.

Blackjack24
03-01-2010, 12:45 PM
Mavs and Cavs for now.

Rockets for the foreseeable future.

king4day
03-01-2010, 12:55 PM
While not the best, the Bucks improved in getting Salmons. They deserve some recognition.
That teams been on a roll.

arkanian215
03-01-2010, 01:11 PM
wizards. they got rid of jamison, butler, stevenson and haywood's contracts (and future contract). they had blatche waiting to fill the big shoes and he hasn't disappointed. even though this is a soft patch in the wizards schedule, they got 4 of their 21 wins since trading butler + jamison. without arenas, jamison, butler and haywood, the team has been 4-3.

i wonder if arenas' contract will be voided. they now have a nice group to build around (blatche, mcgee, thornton, howard and foye).

drama1386
03-01-2010, 01:34 PM
While not the best, the Bucks improved in getting Salmons. They deserve some recognition.

haha, yeah the bucks FINALLY deserve some recognition! so far, 6-1 with salmons & he is averaging 20.1 ppg, 3 assists & 3 rebounds with the bucks.

but i would say that the mavs are the biggest trade deadline winner.

MagicDojo
03-01-2010, 01:48 PM
Clearly the Cavs!
they traded Z for Jamieson and got back Jamieson and Z.

No question. Nice job looking the other way Stern.

TheKing23
03-01-2010, 01:49 PM
haha, yeah the bucks FINALLY deserve some recognition! so far, 6-1 with salmons & he is averaging 20.1 ppg, 3 assists & 3 rebounds with the bucks.

but i would say that the mavs are the biggest trade deadline winner.

It's so strange what these mid season trades do for Salmons...

Last year he was averaging something like 12 a game for Sac-town, went to the Bulls and averaged 18+ for the remainder of the season. Up until he was traded he was averaging like 13 and now he's putting up 20+ a night.

Strange what a change of scenery can do for this guy...

TheWatcher34
03-01-2010, 01:59 PM
after the trade deadline i think now the Mavs are ready and stacked for a legitimate title run

b_rad23
03-01-2010, 02:01 PM
Rockets got Kevin Martin, 2 1st rounders, J Hill (basically 3 1st rounders) and a defender in jeffries AND also made themselves the big leaders in the 2011 F/A (a fact commonly overlooked)...

Great move.

DerekRE_3
03-01-2010, 02:20 PM

Last year he was averaging something like 12 a game for Sac-town, went to the Bulls and averaged 18+ for the remainder of the season. Up until he was traded he was averaging like 13 and now he's putting up 20+ a night.

Last year before the trade Salmons was averaging 18.3 PPG on 47% FG with the Kings. He put up nearly identical numbers in Chicago, with less turnovers and less assists.

Melo15
03-01-2010, 02:22 PM
To me there is no clear winner. I'd say we need to wait until after the postseason to be able to determine the winner. If the Cavs win it all with Jamison then they would obviously be the winner and if the Mavs win it all then obviously they would be the winner. Overall though the Cavs, Mavs, and Rockets put themselves in a very good position.

IversonIsKrazy
03-01-2010, 02:32 PM
CLEARRRLLYYY CAVSS!!!

a first rounder for Jamison + Telfair, they are the clear cut winners!!

billy17
03-01-2010, 02:42 PM
Well the Kings got Landry AND got rid of Martin..

I feel bad for Rockets fans and their false sense of hope, Kevin Martin is cool when hes got his offense going, but the Jazz game was a great example of how he hurts a team. Now I know there were other factors in that game, but Ive watched Martin with the Kings his whole career and he kills your defense. The offense knows him and attacks him and then the coach falls in the love with the idea of him getting you back in the game and it all just snowballs.

Kings tried played with him off the ball more and he just wasnt effective. Kings handed the team over to Tyreke and added a legit young post player that has everything the Kings needed out of this trade, as well as financial flex.

RoyalG333
03-01-2010, 02:46 PM
Mavs, Cavs, and Rockets clearly did the best because they got the best players out of their trades. However, I think Cavs win out...

Should Z resign with cavs, they essentially got Jamison for a draft pick :mad:

Hellcrooner
03-01-2010, 03:13 PM
kings got rid of martins dead weght that was not meshing with tyreke

Mavrix
03-01-2010, 03:23 PM
Mavs for sure. They've improved vastly, and have won 7 straight since the trade, beating the Lakers, Magic, and Hawks and playoff contenders in the Suns, Hornets, and Heat.

christexaport
03-01-2010, 03:24 PM
I'm a big Mavs fan, but this has nothing to do with homerism.

Dallas was the overwhelming winner, since they'd needed a center to spell an ailing Dampier, their defensive anchor, and Howard, their slowly returning from injury starting swingman. They'd recently been getting killed on the perimeter, and once Damp started flagging, the interior was a challenge. Losses had begun piling up.

Now they upgraded Howard AND Dampier, AND added a plus perimeter defender in Stevenson, who plays Kobe and Lebron well. The winning ways are back, and we haven't even gotten healthy yet!

The unsaid win is really about summer 2010. Dallas wants to be a player, and they solidified that opportunity better than even NY or Chi for this reason: Lebron and Wade will not leave their teams and forego the extra year and $25 mil they'd get to go to NY or Chi. They will only move by S&T. No team that is a STRONG (emphasis on strong here) contender now OR after a James or Wade arrives has the assets to make a S&T to get them like Dal does, save LAL, and I doubt either free agent wants to share the spotlight/endorsement cash with Kobe.

Dallas can package Dampier's expiring with any number of combination of young players, All Star talent, and picks. For instance, put Dampier, Butler (All Star just entering his prime at 26 in his final year of his contract), and a 1st and 2nd rounder or Beaubois (young, long, speedy scoring rookie point guard) together for James or Wade and crumbs. That allows them to play for a team owner with deep open pockets, in a top 4 market with big international exposure, with a former MVP (Dirk) and 2 future HOFers (Dirk Kidd), on a team with the second longest playoff appearance streak and second most wins this decade. The big men and role players are already in place.

So Dallas has alot to offer, and players aren't dumb. If either decides they want tleave for Dal, Cle and Mia have little choice but to oblige them, or let them walk with nothing in return. Fortunately, Dal's offer would also be the best available anyway, unless someone has a better trade idea...

So Dal wins now AND this summer! Anyone disagree??

DLeeicious
03-01-2010, 03:25 PM
Hard to argue against the Mavs here in my opinion.

Mavrix
03-01-2010, 03:28 PM

Dallas was the overwhelming winner, since they'd needed a center to spell an ailing Dampier, their defensive anchor, and Howard, their slowly returning from injury starting swingman. They'd recently been getting killed on the perimeter, and once Damp started flagging, the interior was a challenge. Losses had begun piling up.

Now they upgraded Howard AND Dampier, AND added a plus perimeter defender in Stevenson, who plays Kobe and Lebron well. The winning ways are back, and we haven't even gotten healthy yet!

The unsaid win is really about summer 2010. Dallas wants to be a player, and they solidified that opportunity better than even NY or Chi for this reason: Lebron and Wade will not leave their teams and forego the extra year and $25 mil they'd get to go to NY or Chi. They will only move by S&T. No team that is a STRONG (emphasis on strong here) contender now OR after a James or Wade arrives has the assets to make a S&T to get them like Dal does, save LAL, and I doubt either free agent wants to share the spotlight/endorsement cash with Kobe.

Dallas can package Dampier's expiring with any number of combination of young players, All Star talent, and picks. For instance, put Dampier, Butler (All Star just entering his prime at 26 in his final year of his contract), and a 1st and 2nd rounder or Beaubois (young, long, speedy scoring rookie point guard) together for James or Wade and crumbs. That allows them to play for a team owner with deep open pockets, in a top 4 market with big international exposure, with a former MVP (Dirk) and 2 future HOFers (Dirk Kidd), on a team with the second longest playoff appearance streak and second most wins this decade. The big men and role players are already in place.

So Dallas has alot to offer, and players aren't dumb. If either decides they want tleave for Dal, Cle and Mia have little choice but to oblige them, or let them walk with nothing in return. Fortunately, Dal's offer would also be the best available anyway, unless someone has a better trade idea...

So Dal wins now AND this summer! Anyone disagree??You're a smart guy, but Butler is 29 and a little past his prime.

The_Pharouh
03-01-2010, 03:28 PM
kings got rid of martins dead weght that was not meshing with tyreke

I think they could/should got a better deal for him (at least one of the NY picks)
Kmart has a big value in the NBA even with his injuries ,so essentially even they are better team it isn't like the Mavs/Cavs/Rockets who robbed the other teams
even the buck are in playoffs hunt right now with Salmons which make him a better trade

MJ-BULLS
03-01-2010, 03:30 PM
I am going to have to go with the Mavericks, they are really the team they got better after the trade. As I said Brendan Haywood will make them a much better team than before.

Hellcrooner
03-01-2010, 03:32 PM

So Dal wins now AND this summer! Anyone disagree??

Davis, Gordon, Lebron, Blake, Kaman plus whoever they use their pick on.

CLips is the answer to Lebron.

IN the other side of the spectre Dallas is going with a big risk
HTey ar inflating the bublle thinkong of winning it all and that is enough.

A first round exit to the Spurs for example, may make dirk FED up and opt out of his contract and earn bigbuck somewhere else or Join Lebron or Wade whereveer they go

RoyalG333
03-01-2010, 03:38 PM
You're a smart guy, but Butler is 29 and a little past his prime.

dude...29 is not past your prime...its right about peak IMO. Its the perfect time where you might be closing in on the end of your "prime" years physically, but experience, IQ, and mentality is as high as its ever been.

Why do guys continue to play their best ball into their 30's? Nash, Kobe, Dirk, Billups (career high average in scoring this season) heck Jordan won a lot of his rings in his 30's. They might not be able to jump as high but they are smarter and play better ball.

Mavrix
03-01-2010, 03:46 PM
dude...29 is not past your prime...its right about peak IMO. Its the perfect time where you might be closing in on the end of your "prime" years physically, but experience, IQ, and mentality is as high as its ever been.

Why do guys continue to play their best ball into their 30's? Nash, Kobe, Dirk, Billups (career high average in scoring this season) heck Jordan won a lot of his rings in his 30's. They might not be able to jump as high but they are smarter and play better ball.Age doesn't have all to do with a players prime "dude".

Butler was a 2 time all star and not on the same level he was in those years. He might regain his all star level after getting acclimated into the Mavs system but he hasn't reached that status yet.

Mavrix
03-01-2010, 03:48 PM
Take for example Josh Howard, he's 29 and WAY past his prime.

thedfactor
03-01-2010, 03:56 PM
Dallas, Cleveland, and potentially Houston we'll have to see what comes of their draft picks from NY

ProdigyI
03-01-2010, 04:19 PM
Bulls have been one of the hottest teams since the all star break and will land a major free agent in 2010. So Bulls have to be up there as winners.

christexaport
03-01-2010, 04:20 PM
Semi related, so check this thread out.
http://wd.sharethis.com/share3x/lightbox.3aeb20f924d90e0b4e6668c1edee0e30.html#ini t/publisher=0aa3c76d-7197-49c0-9b8d-067c7721080e/type=website/buttonText=Share%20Thread/hash_flag=false/sessionID=1267470927351.77749/fpc=2a66b78-125dc5ba2e6-51360ebd-136/pUrl=http%253A%252F%252Fwww.prosportsdaily.com%252 Fforums%252Fshowthread.php%253Ft%253D461379

christexaport
03-01-2010, 04:30 PM
Davis, Gordon, Lebron, Blake, Kaman plus whoever they use their pick on.

CLips is the answer to Lebron.

IN the other side of the spectre Dallas is going with a big risk
HTey ar inflating the bublle thinkong of winning it all and that is enough.

A first round exit to the Spurs for example, may make dirk FED up and opt out of his contract and earn bigbuck somewhere else or Join Lebron or Wade whereveer they go

The Clippers have a nice foundation, but what do they give up to get James, Bosh, or Wade? The Clippers' owner, Sterling, is known for not paying guys, bad team relations, and questionable deals. Few if any players want to deal with him. I feel sorry for them, because they have alot of talent, but are mismanaged as an organization. I've never seen them as winners, and probably never will until Sterling dies or sells out.

BTW, I know Caron is 29. I keep mistyping. Using a Nokia N900 pocket workstation, and always hit 6's for 9's. Getting used to these new keys...

christexaport
03-01-2010, 04:37 PM
In the NBA, a PG or swing player's peak years are usually around 27-31. A center around 29-33. A banging PF around 27-31, and a finesse guy around 29-33. This can vary, but usually its true, according to scouts, coaches, and GMs.

Hellcrooner
03-01-2010, 04:44 PM
The Clippers have a nice foundation, but what do they give up to get James, Bosh, or Wade? The Clippers' owner, Sterling, is known for not paying guys, bad team relations, and questionable deals. Few if any players want to deal with him. I feel sorry for them, because they have alot of talent, but are mismanaged as an organization. I've never seen them as winners, and probably never will until Sterling dies or sells out.

BTW, I know Caron is 29. I keep mistyping. Using a Nokia N900 pocket workstation, and always hit 6's for 9's. Getting used to these new keys...

What do they give up for james?

Zing!!!!!

Nothin!!!! they got the cap space.

zadora5
03-01-2010, 08:45 PM
i have to say the rockets and the mavericks they pulled off great

Giannis94
03-01-2010, 08:52 PM
WOw , no love for the bucks and salmons? Look at how he has transformed them

TheKing23
03-01-2010, 08:52 PM
Last year before the trade Salmons was averaging 18.3 PPG on 47% FG with the Kings. He put up nearly identical numbers in Chicago, with less turnovers and less assists.

Oh, my bad. I still think the change of scenery has done good things for the guy though.

Giannis94
03-01-2010, 08:58 PM
He gives the Bucks what they need......they did not need Warrick and they wanted a true SG who can ball it up. Obviously the bucks still suck but can force a 1st rd series to 7 if they play the hawks or cavs

xbrackattackx
03-01-2010, 09:17 PM
Bucks have been surprising and Salmons dropping 30 was nice. Mavs made some amazing moves and look great. But for some reason I feel the rockets won. Cause if the knicks get screwed and suck the next 2 years they get lottery picks to add. So when a older player is Fizzling out they have some of their new talent to move up and replace him if they draft smart it avoids the "darktimes" in a franchise. Plus martin is kind of a one trick pony but he can be explosive any night and when teams double him next season Yao will be there. If they could have kept landry and had him and Scola that would have been even better.

astrosmaniac
03-01-2010, 09:48 PM
Well the Kings got Landry AND got rid of Martin..

I feel bad for Rockets fans and their false sense of hope, Kevin Martin is cool when hes got his offense going, but the Jazz game was a great example of how he hurts a team. Now I know there were other factors in that game, but Ive watched Martin with the Kings his whole career and he kills your defense. The offense knows him and attacks him and then the coach falls in the love with the idea of him getting you back in the game and it all just snowballs.

Kings tried played with him off the ball more and he just wasnt effective. Kings handed the team over to Tyreke and added a legit young post player that has everything the Kings needed out of this trade, as well as financial flex.

the jazz were just on fire. doesnt matter how good the D is when your 14-24 from 3 and over 67% from the field mid way into the 4th. also doesnt help that battier, ariza, and lowry were all out for the game, arguably our 3 best perimeter defenders

christexaport
03-02-2010, 01:48 AM
What do they give up for james?

Zing!!!!!

Nothin!!!! they got the cap space.

So let's get this straight...
James is gonna take $25 mil less and 1 less guaranteed year to play for THE CLIPPERS and Sterling, in a town owned by Kobe?! Or he'll take an extra year, $25 mil more, and a chance to play with a former MVP, two future Hall of Famers, on a team known for getting the players it needs and paying them, lives in the playoffs, and usually wins 50+ every year BEFORE he got there?

Hmmm... I think the choice is clear.

amos1er
03-02-2010, 04:16 AM
Who do you think is the biggest winner from the trade deadline?

Mavs- Got Butler and Haywood. 2 Starters contributing. Mavs are really rolling as of late

Cavs- Got Jamison, just in time cuz Shaq is out now

Rockets- Got the scorer they needed with Martin and got a 1st rounder from NY and a talent in Hill

Bulls- Did a great job of clearing cap space for their run this summer. Plus Warrick is playing well for them

Clippers- Like the Bulls, they cleared space to make a run this summer (if they can get anyone to go there lol)

Bucks- Got Salmons, their team is hot as of late

Knicks- See Clippers and Bulls

Other- Other teams that you feel were winners?

Mavs...:cool:

sugarrayray
03-02-2010, 05:38 AM

Your wrong about that. He was averaging 18 points per game for Sacramento. His stats didn't change at all when he was traded to the Bulls. They changed this year because the Bulls weren't using him correctly and now Milwaukee is. He's the kind of guy who needs the ball in his hands a lot in order to produce. The Bulls were just having him camp out behind the arc and have him take too many jump shots.

That trade was such a steal for the Bucks. He has been putting up better numbers so far than anyone else traded at the deadline. Plus when he comes off the books after next year along with Redd and Gadzuric, the Bucks will have 31 million dollars at their disposal. They are gonna be a force to be reckoned with in 2 years.

MILLERHIGHLIFE
03-02-2010, 08:26 AM
Almost won seven games in a row. But ran out of gas in overtime to Hawks.

DerekRE_3
03-02-2010, 01:37 PM
In 2-3 years there's a chance that the Bobcats could be big winners of this year's trade deadline. Tyrus Thomas is averaging 13.3 points, 7.8 boards and 3.2 blocks on 54% FG off the bench so far with the Bobcats. If he keeps listening to Larry Brown he could turn into a very nice player.