PDA

View Full Version : If the Spurs & Celtics Both Have Early Playoffs Exits, Do They Break Up Big 3?

ko8e24
03-01-2010, 02:58 AM
If the Spurs or Celtics say lose in the 1st or 2nd round, does each team break up their Big 3?

This is how I look at it

Tim Duncan = Kevin Garnett

Both will remain Spurs and Celtics respectively for the rest of their careers (which is maybe 3-4 more yrs at most). They are both heavily on the decline, but both valued big men that each franchise is gonna keep.

Tony Parker = Paul Pierce

Both will stay with Spurs and Celtics respectively for many years to come, and the teams will be built around those guys for the future. Pierce is in his early 30's, and Parker is still relatively young although injuries have really hurt both guys significantly over the last few yrs.

Manu Ginobili = Ray Allen

Both the 3rd string of the 3 amigos, and both will be unrestricted free agents this summer.

After looking at age, and early playoff exits, do the Spurs and Celtics respectively resign unrestricted free agenets Ginobili and Allen? Especially with the current economic crises of the NBA, the most each guy could get is probably the mid-level, if the Spurs and Celtics want to sign more free agents to strengthen their team with young new talent and depth and be competitive for years to come.

So do you think this yr could very well be the final yr we see the Big 3 of San Antonio and the Big 3 of Boston?

Because I feel Manu and Ray could very well be very valuable free agents in the summer of 2010 (if they are not resigned).

Thoughts.

Mavrix
03-01-2010, 03:00 AM
How is Duncan heavily on the decline? KG is, but Duncan is having a great year.

ldc62
03-01-2010, 03:02 AM
Manu hinted that the Spurs might not resign him. And the Celtics tried to trade away Ray Allen this past summer (Rondo and Ray for Prince and Stuckey; don't ask me why the Pistons declined it).

ko8e24
03-01-2010, 03:04 AM
Manu hinted that the Spurs might not resign him. And the Celtics tried to trade away Ray Allen this past summer (Rondo and Ray for Prince and Stuckey; don't ask me why the Pistons declined it).

hey bro, do you have a link or an article with Manu "hinting" that. I'm interested to know.

st3voness
03-01-2010, 03:04 AM
Parker and Duncan will stay with the Spurs; Manu is the one that will be traded eventually.

Pierce will remain a Celtic, and I want to say Allen will too, but KG is on the decline.

airraptor8
03-01-2010, 03:05 AM
How is Duncan heavily on the decline? KG is, but Duncan is having a great year.

Yeah, Duncan is still performing close to what he produced the last 3 years. I think Boston will explore other options and break up the big 3 with an early exit.

I like the Spurs. They have some young pieces (Blair, Hill) and could do some damage if their chemistry is better. The Jefferson experiment just didn't work out for them, but I don't see signs of decline, just bad chemistry, and missing alot of 3's they typically make.

abe_froman
03-01-2010, 03:08 AM
as has been said,timmy is having a great year so decline...ehhh not really.

but yes,i dont see spurs though.parker isnt aged yet,and timmy like i said is still rocking.but manu and the supporting cast i could see going and they begining the transition.where as celtics i can see them just blow up and rebuild around rondo with younger guys

ko8e24
03-01-2010, 03:15 AM
Parker and Duncan will stay with the Spurs; Manu is the one that will be traded eventually.

Pierce will remain a Celtic, and I want to say Allen will too, but KG is on the decline.

Manu can't be traded because his contract is up at season's end. He will be unrestricted free agent.

And I just found this article from last month.

http://www.scoresreport.com/2010/01/21/manu-ginobili-does-not-expect-to-re-sign-with-spurs/

It was hard to face what he suspected, but now assumes: Manu will not be a Spur anymore on July 1, alter three championships in eight seasons. The news comes out of his mouth with unmistakable words: “I am pretty sure I will be a free agent and that in July and August I will have to make a decision where to go” – he acknowledges – “I do not even expect the team to offer me an extension.”

This is rather surprising given Ginobili’s history with the franchise. He is still playing very well (PER of 20.32, down a bit from previous seasons but still good enough to rank 5th amongst SGs), though he spent much of last season sidelined with an injury to his left heel.

Maybe the Spurs haven’t talked extension because they want to see how he comes back from injury and handles a full 82-game season. I find it hard to believe that San Antonio would let a core piece walk in free agency if they were to make it to the Western Conference Finals. The problem with Ginobili is that he’ll turn 33 this summer and already has a reputation for being injury-prone. Still, the Spurs will be over the cap, so it’s not like they can turn around and sign someone younger and better.

If the Spurs make a run, I think Ginobili will be back. If they crash and burn in the postseason, they may let him walk.

If I'm the Lakers, I make a run at him in the offseason, and sign him to a 3 yr deal to mid-level (cuz he is after all a bit injury prone and 33 yrs old, but worth the investment of a mid-level)

Korman12
03-01-2010, 03:25 AM
Because the Spurs have a couple good players ready to take over and possibly start with Blair and Hill they'd be more willing to part with one of three, maybe not resigning Manu. Boston doesn't have that luxury since they're banking on their veterans so much.

ChicagoBulls23
03-01-2010, 03:38 AM
its really disappointing that those great guys have been down tracked by injuries, but if they do get out early in the playoffs, there is no point of competing when you're a veteran team when you're not goin to win a championship.

Chronz
03-01-2010, 04:39 AM
Manus decline has been overstated, its the absence of TPs game thats really hurt them. Maybe if they traded Rondo+Ray for Manu+TP it would make sense but if your not gonna get equal value there really is no point in cutting talent.

TopsyTurvy
03-01-2010, 04:57 AM
I don't think the Celtics will be able to find people interested in any of the Big 3's contracts. Allen is coming off the books soon and stands to make less if he re-signs. Pierce is expiring in 10/11 I believe and I believe KG is around until 11/12?

I don't think it would be hard to move any of these players going forward, but the team would have to be blown up soon considering the CBA may limit how much money owners will be willing/able to spend on free agents. The expiring contracts with superstars may be quite enviable at some point in the not too distant future.

69centers
03-01-2010, 10:10 AM
The way Danny Ainge was talking the other day, if the C's don't accomplish something this year, their days together are over.

JasonJohnHorn
03-01-2010, 10:12 AM
I'm sure, early exit or not, we can expect changes from the Celtics for sure. The Celtics are better than many have said, but at the same time they do need to get younger.

The Spurs though, I think the opposite is true. Manu, if I remember correctly, is a free agent this year? So he may depart, but I have a feeling the Spurs will keep him. Parker, Manu and Duncan are all great, Mason, Jefferson and Blair will likely see bigger minutes and better play next year, and Tiago Splittner may be finally joining the Spurs next season to help fill the hole in the middle. Duncan is still playing solid ball, but Finley and McDyess are older and will not be aruond for much more than a season or two. But with the younger guys they have on the roster, I'm sure they have enough to get better withouth overhauling the team.

LeBroom
03-01-2010, 10:24 AM
No offense but, There's also this slight chance that the Spurs may miss the playoffs. (If Houston/Memphis/NO makes a serious run).

king4day
03-01-2010, 10:44 AM
I think Manu and Allen are the most likely to go.
Parker was rumored to be part of the Spurs' supposed offer for Chris Paul, but I think that's just a special situation where they move him. Paul or Deron are probably the only two PG's in the league that make Parker expendable.

I don't see Pierce going anywhere.
Duncan is not on a decline at all, let alone a heavy one.

mikantsass
03-01-2010, 11:09 AM
Celtics.... will make sure Pierce retires as a Celtic, and KG will be almost impossible to trade due to his contract. Unless Ray takes a huge paycut, he will be gone after this year. This is the situation regardless of weather they win or lose

Spurs.... could keep Manu. They'll have some cap space after this year to resign him if they can agree on terms. I personally think Manu is gone because there are a lot of teams out there with huge cap space heading into the summer. Not every team will land a top FA, leaving the remaining teams with tons of money to sign a "tier 2" guy like Ginobili. Manu still has some years left so he will get offers unlike Ray.

bagwell368
03-01-2010, 12:15 PM
Don't know the ins and outs of the Spurs that well, but Manu is the first to exit.

Ray Allen is gone from that slot. He may come back at a much lower price or go elsewhere. He has probably 2 years as a 18-24 min sub left in him, then retire and wait to make the HOF. He might sign up to score another ring to help that. He is probably the most well spoken interview I've ever seen in the NBA. I'll miss him for that and other things.

There is chatter that Pierce will go FA, wait for the Celts to sign a max guy and come back at a lower price after 2011. That would be good, because he won't be worth max money after 2011. If they can't get him signed up, I hope they let him walk, I hate emotion clouding decisions. I watched the '76 and '86 Celts sit too long on the stars. It's a business guys.

KG is such a unique player at such a hard position to find, that even if he's down to 18 minutes a game, if he's at full energy for his age at that time. I'll take it - his contract comes up after 2012 I believe. If he's limping around then, he''s gone.

We are over the cap and cannot score Amare or Bosh with Ray's slot - sadly. The Celts could be pretty grim in 2-3 years.

Right now getting rid of Sheed is the #1 priority, what a dog.

Giraffes Rule
03-01-2010, 12:42 PM
Manu can't be traded because his contract is up at season's end. He will be unrestricted free agent.

And I just found this article from last month.

http://www.scoresreport.com/2010/01/21/manu-ginobili-does-not-expect-to-re-sign-with-spurs/

It was hard to face what he suspected, but now assumes: Manu will not be a Spur anymore on July 1, alter three championships in eight seasons. The news comes out of his mouth with unmistakable words: “I am pretty sure I will be a free agent and that in July and August I will have to make a decision where to go” – he acknowledges – “I do not even expect the team to offer me an extension.”

This is rather surprising given Ginobili’s history with the franchise. He is still playing very well (PER of 20.32, down a bit from previous seasons but still good enough to rank 5th amongst SGs), though he spent much of last season sidelined with an injury to his left heel.

Maybe the Spurs haven’t talked extension because they want to see how he comes back from injury and handles a full 82-game season. I find it hard to believe that San Antonio would let a core piece walk in free agency if they were to make it to the Western Conference Finals. The problem with Ginobili is that he’ll turn 33 this summer and already has a reputation for being injury-prone. Still, the Spurs will be over the cap, so it’s not like they can turn around and sign someone younger and better.

If the Spurs make a run, I think Ginobili will be back. If they crash and burn in the postseason, they may let him walk.

If I'm the Lakers, I make a run at him in the offseason, and sign him to a 3 yr deal to mid-level (cuz he is after all a bit injury prone and 33 yrs old, but worth the investment of a mid-level)

That's an old article, he came out later saying that he just doesn't expect them to offer him an extension before his contract is up. I think he'll stay with the Spurs, unless someone it stupid and offers him crazy money and a long term deal. Manu's still got it, and the Spurs would be committing PR suicide with the fans if they let him go without a fight.