PDA

View Full Version : Franchise players that are Second Options

JordansBulls
02-28-2010, 01:35 PM
Which current franchise players do you consider to be "Second Options" on a Championship team, and why?

Also, what team(s) do you think they would fit in?

st3voness
02-28-2010, 01:36 PM
Brandon Roy, Trevor Ariza, and Kevin Martin.

Ragun
02-28-2010, 01:40 PM
dwight howard. not a first option right now, will be later in his career.

Chacarron
02-28-2010, 01:41 PM

Really? Ariza. He is not a franchise player and definitely not a second option. Roy is a good example of what the OP is asking.

ManRam
02-28-2010, 01:48 PM
nevermind. misread the OP.

Paulliwali
02-28-2010, 01:48 PM
Yao ming, or aleast he needs a capable and healthy outside shooting threat,

HoopsDrive
02-28-2010, 01:50 PM
Bosh, Roy and Howard.

st3voness
02-28-2010, 01:53 PM
Gerald Wallace.

mjqusoldier
02-28-2010, 01:58 PM
chris duhon

MJ-BULLS
02-28-2010, 02:02 PM

agree with roy and K-mart, but not ariza.

RocketsRule
02-28-2010, 02:15 PM

Ariza nor Martin is considered a franchise player...

JerseysFinest
02-28-2010, 02:16 PM
Brook Lopez;on the Nets hes the first option, but ona championship team hes prolly the 2nd

Romo2Bryant
02-28-2010, 02:18 PM
chris duhon

2nd Option, really??? He's a great #1 Option.

Wilson
02-28-2010, 02:25 PM
Pau Gasol. He's the second option in Los Angeles, but lead the Grizzlies to the play-offs a few times without a second option.

theducksmuggler
02-28-2010, 02:27 PM
cmon no andre iguodala. he is the 76ers default franchise player but if he was along side a top tier player he would be great. 17 ppg 7 rpg 6 assists thats ridiculous if he just a another player to take pressure off him he would be amazing in my eyes.

dbow1920
02-28-2010, 02:35 PM
Iggy, Bosh, Roy, Lopez, Nash, Yao come to mind

JermanJaysFan
02-28-2010, 02:38 PM
People are obsessed with this "First option versus second option" idea.

Sure. Chris Bosh is a franchise player. Maybe he is better suited to play second fiddle to a guy like Kobe or whatever. But really it depends on the team.

Here's a squad where CB4 is the first option, and this team is certainly championship calibre:

PG- Rondo/Rose
SG- Battier/Mike Miller
SF- Wallace/Artest
PF- Bosh/Josh Smith
C- Marc Gasol/Kevin Love

Whatever. There's tons of options. You see my point. Bosh is the 1st option and franchise player on that squad, clearly. He has the most developed offensive game and most established star power. And you can't tell me that team wouldn't win a championship because "Bosh is better suited to being a second option".

Everyone in the league (with the exception of Kobe/Lebron, the consensus "best players") is better suited to be a second option. Anthony is a bit worse than Lebron, so if they played together, he would be better suited to be the 2nd guy. Duncan would be better playing off Kobe than not having Kobe on his team. And there are plenty of guys that "should be" second options that are excellent first options with the right crew around them (see above). Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if someone could come up with a squad where Josh Howard is the "first option" that could be a serious contender.

See my point? It's a silly, arbitrary debate.

Ebbs
02-28-2010, 02:38 PM
I think for solid #2 Brandon Roy (team could really compete if Lamarcus and Oden stayed healthy and reached there potwential), Kevin Martin, Dwight Howard, Andre Igoudala, Derrick Rose (needs a legit big man),

I saw Bosh on some lists I dont think he should be here he puts up beast numbers year after year. This is arguably his best season. I think he is a legit #1 option but he needs a reall scoring guard love Calderon but he's to average guy deals some nice diems but cant actively be a threat to drop 20 Bargnani is getting there but not yet. Give Raptors Roy, Derrick Rose, or couple other people on that list and I think thats a team challenging the east.

AirCanada15ORL
02-28-2010, 02:40 PM
If I'm reading this right. These are players that were the center on there old team but now are secondary options.

Pao Gasol-On Grizzlies was franchise player. Now second to Kobe.
Vince Carter- Look at the Nets now. Was franchise player.
Lamar Odom- Idk why I just think on any other team he'd be a franchise player or close to it. On the Lakers hes like a 4thish option.
Rashard Lewis- On the Sonics he was an all star. Took on a new role in Orlando.

cant think of any more right now
edit: I think I interpreted this wrong.

td0tsfinest
02-28-2010, 02:46 PM

Ariza is a franchise player?

JermanJaysFan
02-28-2010, 02:49 PM
Oh, and I agree with whoever said that Bosh is a first option. Don't see how 24.5/11.5 on 53% shooting is anything but go-to guy numbers. There isn't a top 10 scorer that fills it up more efficiently than that.

kozelkid
02-28-2010, 03:06 PM
Granger, Bosh, Joe Johnson, Devin Harris/Lopez (take your pick, both 2nd options)
I disagree with Roy and yao as a 2nd option.
Iggy is a possible option but he has to be with a great first option.
With that said, anyone can be a 1st option in reality if you can have a great defense and balanced offense. Case and point with Billups and the 04 pistons.

kozelkid
02-28-2010, 03:07 PM
Oh, and I agree with whoever said that Bosh is a first option. Don't see how 24.5/11.5 on 53% shooting is anything but go-to guy numbers. There isn't a top 10 scorer that fills it up more efficiently than that.

True, but playing well in the season and playoffs are two different things. He hasn't shown yet the ability of carrying Toronto past the 1st round, especially when they were upset by NJN in 06-07.

Wilson
02-28-2010, 03:09 PM
If I'm reading this right. These are players that were the center on there old team but now are secondary options.

Pao Gasol-On Grizzlies was franchise player. Now second to Kobe.
Vince Carter- Look at the Nets now. Was franchise player.
Lamar Odom- Idk why I just think on any other team he'd be a franchise player or close to it. On the Lakers hes like a 4thish option.
Rashard Lewis- On the Sonics he was an all star. Took on a new role in Orlando.

cant think of any more right now
edit: I think I interpreted this wrong.

Definitely not Lamar, he couldn't even handle being the second option with the Lakers. I love him, but he's just not the type of guy who wants to score the ball a lot, which made him very inconsistent as the second option, and would make him a poor first option. He's much more comfortable grabbing the rebounds and moving the ball around.

MaHaRaJaH
02-28-2010, 03:45 PM
True, but playing well in the season and playoffs are two different things. He hasn't shown yet the ability of carrying Toronto past the 1st round, especially when they were upset by NJN in 06-07.

Hopefully that will change this year.

HoopsDrive
02-28-2010, 03:48 PM
I think the real question here is whether or not these second options are worthy of building a real contending team around.

Look at the Hawks right now. JJ is their #1 with a great supporting cast in Bibby-Horford-Smoove. They are a contending team but does anyone see them winning a championship? I don't think so. What if you put Kobe or Wade in there? For me, the chances of them winning the championship increases dramatically.

To me, this is the point of this discussion. I'm not trying to lower Bosh, JJ or Roy in their skill level or capabilities. They are great players and given the chance, can certainly be in a championship contending team as the #1 guy. However, you'd have to give them an incredible supporting cast in order to do so, which is not always realistically possible in the league or worth the effort.

-Kobe24-TJ19-
02-28-2010, 03:53 PM

lol :puke:

sargon21
02-28-2010, 04:08 PM
granger, lopez/harris, iguodala, ger wallace, al jefferson, monta ellis

airraptor8
02-28-2010, 04:11 PM
dwight howard. not a first option right now, will be later in his career.

He's averaged a double double for this whole month. I think he's developing to be the most dominant in the league. Watch out for Dwight come playoff time!

st3voness
02-28-2010, 04:17 PM
Sadly, Ariza was the #1 option for the Rockets for half the season. And I do throw around "franchise" loosely.

J_M_B
02-28-2010, 04:23 PM
Dwight Howard, Brandon Roy, and maybe Chris Bosh.

alencp3
02-28-2010, 04:48 PM
Lol at people saying Bosh over and over again. Bosh just needs solid PG or SG to be a championship contender.. If Bosh goes to Bulls and plays with Rose u gonna see that.

tredigs
02-28-2010, 05:07 PM
Brandon Roy, Trevor Ariza, and Kevin Martin. Trevor Ariza part... Franchise player.. HAHAHAHHA...oh man... crying...