PDA

View Full Version : First African American NBA Players

AgentEJohnson
02-28-2010, 12:04 PM
Today being the last day of Black History month i thought i finally sit down and do some research on who opened the doors for the great African American NBA stars we have had over the pass 60 years in the NBA. Earl Lloyd, Chuck Cooper, Nate "Sweetwater" Clifton and Harold Hunter were the first African Americans in the NBA. Harold Hunter was the first to sign with a team but didn't have the skill level the NBA was looking for so he was cut by the Knick. Cooper was the first to be drafted by a NBA team but Lloyd was the first to play in a game for the Washington Capitols. The very next day Cooper made his debut with Boston Celtics. Its players like these who we all can thank for guys like Bill Russell, Wilt Chamberlain, Oscar Robertson, Dr. J, Magic Johnson, and maybe the best basketball player of all time Michael Jordan. There guys like Kobe, LeBron, D Wade and many others who wouldn't be here today if it wasn't for Lloyd,Cooper, Clifton and Hunter. So i wanted to thank these men for opening the door to what we watch on TV today what we go to games and see. Before this month if i never took the time to look this up i couldn't tell you who the first African American NBA players were and i think that's not right. I hope I a gave you all some new information and maybe you can pass it on because I know I will. I want to say thanks for reading and pass this on to someone younger then you or even someone older because i can almost promise you that 85% of people who knows anything about basketball could have told you this. Please make sure to follow me @ WWW.TWITTER.COM/AGENTEJOHNSON

Swashcuff
02-28-2010, 12:09 PM
Today being the last day of Black History month i thought i finally sit down and do some research on who opened the doors for the great African American NBA stars we have had over the pass 60 years in the NBA. Earl Lloyd, Chuck Cooper, Nate "Sweetwater" Clifton and Harold Hunter were the first African Americans in the NBA. Harold Hunter was the first to sign with a team but didn't have the skill level the NBA was looking for so he was cut by the Knick. Cooper was the first to be drafted by a NBA team but Lloyd was the first to play in a game for the Washington Capitols. The very next day Cooper made his debut with Boston Celtics. Its players like these who we all can thank for guys like Bill Russell, Wilt Chamberlain, Oscar Robertson, Dr. J, Magic Johnson, and maybe the best basketball player of all time Michael Jordan. There guys like Kobe, LeBron, D Wade and many others who wouldn't be here today if it wasn't for Lloyd,Cooper, Clifton and Hunter. So i wanted to thank these men for opening the door to what we watch on TV today what we go to games and see. Before this month if i never took the time to look this up i couldn't tell you who the first African American NBA players were and i think that's not right. I hope I a gave you all some new information and maybe you can pass it on because I know I will. I want to say thanks for reading and pass this on to someone younger then you or even someone older because i can almost promise you that 85% of people who knows anything about basketball could have told you this. Please make sure to follow me @ WWW.TWITTER.COM/AGENTEJOHNSON

Nice first post :clap:

SpeeMN
02-28-2010, 12:24 PM
And the african american baseball players that broke the mold are household names!

Wilson
02-28-2010, 12:43 PM
Don't forget the first time black basketball players were allowed to play against white players - when the Harlem Globe Trotters played (and beat) the Minneapolis Lakers in 1948. They beat them the year after as well.

Raps08-09 Champ
02-28-2010, 12:56 PM
Szeen.