PDA

View Full Version : gambling in sports

deuces
02-27-2010, 09:41 PM
hey guys, i don't mean to be a bother but for one of my classes i need to find 5 different incidents in sports where there was gambling.
so i would appreciate it if someone can find me 5 short articles about gambling incidents in any sport.
when i say short, i mean maybe 1/2 a page in length.

Thanks for the help:)

td0tsfinest
02-27-2010, 09:45 PM
gambling is in every sport.

But if you're asking for incidents were a match was fixed then the most notable one is the tim donaghy incident

other examples include:

In November 2009, German police arrested 17 people on suspicion of fixing at least 200 soccer matches in 9 countries. Among the suspected games were those from the top leagues of Austria, Bosnia, Croatia, Hungary, Slovenia, and Turkey, and games from the second highest leagues of Belgium, Germany, and Switzerland. Three contests from the Champions League were under investigation, and 12 from the Europa League.

In May 2006, perhaps the largest match fixing scandal in the history of Italian Serie A football was uncovered by Italian Police, implicating league champions Juventus, and powerhouses AC Milan, Fiorentina, and Lazio

On August 24, 1989, former baseball player Pete Rose voluntarily accepted a permanent ban from Major League Baseball for allegedly betting on Cincinnati Reds games while managing the team.

In 1919, gamblers bribed several members of the Chicago White Sox to throw the World Series.

you can find the articles yourself

deuces
02-27-2010, 09:50 PM
^ respects on that, now to just find the articles -_-'

HoopsDrive
02-27-2010, 10:00 PM
You can just go to Wikipedia and search on match fixing. They have a huge list of match fixing scandals in all kinds of sports.

xbrackattackx
02-27-2010, 10:39 PM
Of course the scandal of Donaghy was prob the first that popped in your mind.