PDA

View Full Version : Stop Hating on Russell Westbrook in Comparison to Derrick Rose

mrblisterdundee
02-27-2010, 02:19 PM
I've been reading people's comments about how Derrick Rose would be better than Russell Westbrook, playing with a big-time free agent that is the primary offensive focus of a team. Westbrook already plays with one of those people; his name is Kevin Durant, if you haven't heard of him.
Even while playing in a big-three situation with Durant and Green, Westbrook still has a better efficiency rating than Rose, who has the ball as much as he wants. I've always thought that Rose is a better scorer, but that Westbrook is more versatile. Let's just look at statistics:

Derrick Rose:
Games - 58, MPG - 36.3, Eff. - 17.88, FG% - .481, 3PFG% - .240, PPG - 20.2, RPG - 3.8, APG - 5.8, SPG - 0.8

Russell Westbrook:
Games - 57, MPG - 35.4, Eff. - 18.12, FG% - .415, 3PFG% - .241, PPG - 16.5, RPG - 5.2, APG - 7.8, SPG - 1.2

You can say that having a better player in Chicago will make Rose better, but it will also take the ball away from him more. That's what Westrook deals with already, even though he's still more productive and versatile than Rose. At the end of the day, Rose is a better scorer than Westbrook; nothing else.

JayW_1023
02-27-2010, 02:22 PM
I said it before and I'll say it again: I believe Russell Westbrook has as much superstar potential as Kevin Durant...his game is actually much more well rounded. Russell is a better distributer and defender than Durant and his shot selection is improving. It's a shame that Durant seems to be getting most of the credit for OKC's success.

kozelkid
02-27-2010, 02:26 PM
Stop making stupid threads then. This should have been in the previous thread and I'll rebuff your point again.
(A) Thunder are BAD at rebounding. Westbrook is a very good rebounder, he gets many rebounds. Rose is also a good rebounder, and could probably get near that many on the THunder.
(B) Assists are good if he didn't turnover as much. he turns it over much cause he isn't a great facilitator as you think he is. He should be getting that many assists playing with Kevin freaking Durant.
(C) Finally his ts%, fg%, 3pt%, efg% all SUCK considering he is playing with Durant.

Newsflash, scoring is a pretty big deal and Westbrook is terrible at it, very inconsistent. I'm sure Rose could have very similar assist and reb numbers playing with Durant and an awful rebounding team as well and be much more efficient as well.

drobe86
02-27-2010, 02:29 PM
Westbrook is much better than Rose. All Around the statistics show that. Rose has the hype but Westbrook flat out has more game.....

drobe86
02-27-2010, 02:31 PM
I said it before and I'll say it again: I believe Russell Westbrook has as much superstar potential as Kevin Durant...his game is actually much more well rounded. Russell is a better distributer and defender than Durant and his shot selection is improving. It's a shame that Durant seems to be getting most of the credit for OKC's success.

I wouldn't go that far my man. Without Durant that team is a wreck. And KD is arguably the best player in the league this yr. But Westbrook is a solid future all star player. Durant is a future Hall of Famer..... See the difference?

drobe86
02-27-2010, 02:33 PM
Stop making stupid threads then. This should have been in the previous thread and I'll rebuff your point again.
(A) Thunder are BAD at rebounding. Westbrook is a very good rebounder, he gets many rebounds. Rose is also a good rebounder, and could probably get near that many on the THunder.
(B) Assists are good if he didn't turnover as much. he turns it over much cause he isn't a great facilitator as you think he is. He should be getting that many assists playing with Kevin freaking Durant.
(C) Finally his ts%, fg%, 3pt%, efg% all SUCK considering he is playing with Durant.

Newsflash, scoring is a pretty big deal and Westbrook is terrible at it, very inconsistent. I'm sure Rose could have very similar assist and reb numbers playing with Durant and an awful rebounding team as well and be much more efficient as well.

You would have a point, but the problem is they both are point guards. Not shooting guards. Point Guards are not designed to score. Pg's averaging 20 ppg never win championships......

mrblisterdundee
02-27-2010, 02:34 PM

Westbrook scores less than Rose because he plays within a big-three. Deng is only as good as Green, and Rose can still only get four more points than Westbrook. If you put Bosh, Wade, Amare, or Lebron in Chicago, Rose won't even get 20 points per game.

kozelkid
02-27-2010, 02:34 PM
You would have a point, but the problem is they both are point guards. Not shooting guards. Point Guards are not designed to score. Pg's averaging 20 ppg never win championships......

Billups and Parker disagree. And when was the last time a pass first pg won? 1990, Isiah Thomas. So nope.

TheKing23
02-27-2010, 02:36 PM

LOVE your avatar!

"Ooooo... He leakin'"

"Ring ambalance"

hahahaha

kozelkid
02-27-2010, 02:37 PM
Westbrook scores less than Rose because he plays within a big-three.

Sure, but I'm not talking about scoring volume, I'm talking about efficiency and Westbrook's sucks while Rose's doesn't.

Deng is only as good as Green, and Rose can still only get four more points than Westbrook.

So... Bulls have a deep team and get enough scoring from other players. Not to mention he's been scoring 22+ppg since injury.

If you put Bosh, Wade, Amare, or Lebron in Chicago, Rose won't even get 20 points per game.

Baseless statement. A team completely changes with such an addition so you have no idea. I'm will to wager that an addition of Bosh or Amare who make Rose so much better, not only would he score around 20ppg, he'd do it very efficiently. I don't like the addition of Wade with Rose, I'd think they'd make each other worse. And who knows with Lebron, though with Lebron I don't even care.

kozelkid
02-27-2010, 02:38 PM
LOVE your avatar!

"Ooooo Weeee, that ***** leakin'"

hahahaha

Haha, thanks.

Meth
02-27-2010, 02:38 PM
If you wanna look at statistics, compare him to Monta Ellis. I take Rose or Westbrook over him any day because no team can win games with Monta Ellis.

JasonJohnHorn
02-27-2010, 02:39 PM
Is there a group of people hating on Westbrook? I haven't noticed? *scratches head* I usually read about people appreciating his potential.

JayW_1023
02-27-2010, 02:39 PM
I wouldn't go that far my man. Without Durant that team is a wreck. And KD is arguably the best player in the league this yr. But Westbrook is a solid future all star player. Durant is a future Hall of Famer..... See the difference?

I disgree...Westbrook has an extremely well-rounded game. Only his scoring is inconsistent. But so is Jason Kidds. Westbrook has done an excellent job running that team...just because he doesn't score like Durant doesn't diminish all the other things he brings to the table.

D1JM
02-27-2010, 02:41 PM
Billups and Parker disagree. And when was the last time a pass first pg won? 1990, Isiah Thomas. So nope.

u have a point.

D1JM
02-27-2010, 02:42 PM
I've been reading people's comments about how Derrick Rose would be better than Russell Westbrook, playing with a big-time free agent that is the primary offensive focus of a team. Westbrook already plays with one of those people; his name is Kevin Durant, if you haven't heard of him.
Even while playing in a big-three situation with Durant and Green, Westbrook still has a better efficiency rating than Rose, who has the ball as much as he wants. I've always thought that Rose is a better scorer, but that Westbrook is more versatile. Let's just look at statistics:

Derrick Rose:
Games - 58, MPG - 36.3, Eff. - 17.88, FG% - .481, 3PFG% - .240, PPG - 20.2, RPG - 3.8, APG - 5.8, SPG - 0.8

Russell Westbrook:
Games - 57, MPG - 35.4, Eff. - 18.12, FG% - .415, 3PFG% - .241, PPG - 16.5, RPG - 5.2, APG - 7.8, SPG - 1.2

You can say that having a better player in Chicago will make Rose better, but it will also take the ball away from him more. That's what Westrook deals with already, even though he's still more productive and versatile than Rose. At the end of the day, Rose is a better scorer than Westbrook; nothing else.

I just think you are a derrick rose hater. Maybe you should make a thread on that too.

eugene
02-27-2010, 02:45 PM
Check Westbrook's shooting pct and relax...

drobe86
02-27-2010, 02:46 PM
[QUOTE=kozelkid;12444781]Billups and Parker disagree. And when was the last time a pass first pg won? 1990, Isiah Thomas. So nope.[/QUOTE

If you are going to post, post facts. Parker has averaged 16.7 ppg for his career.Prior t0 2008 he has never scored 20 ppg, And the one year he did average 22 ppg they were smoked by my Mavs in the first round of the 08-09 playoffs.

2nd Billups has never averaged 20 ppg in a season in his career either. He is averaging 20.3 ppg this year but again they aren't winning a title. Denver is one of the most inconsistent teams in the league. Sure they will wow you and beat Cleveland and La, and then go to the wire with the likes of Golden State or Detroit..... For the record I like their chances better than LA, but they won't win a title.....

Doogolas
02-27-2010, 02:48 PM
Westbrook scores less than Rose because he plays within a big-three. Deng is only as good as Green, and Rose can still only get four more points than Westbrook. If you put Bosh, Wade, Amare, or Lebron in Chicago, Rose won't even get 20 points per game.

You realize Rose actually gets WAY more than 4 points per game on Westbrook right? He started the year hurt and it showed pretty clearly. Through the first month of the season Rose was only averaging 15PPG. Since then he's been on an absolute tear at 23PPG. That's 7 more than Westbrook. He also, having no Durant, is the main focus of the other team's defense drawing regular double teams.

Rose is way, way, way more efficient than Westbrook, who is, one of the least efficient players in basketball.

I like Westbrook a lot but he's not as good as Rose. And he won't be as good as Rose. Doesn't make him a POS, he's very good.

MJ-BULLS
02-27-2010, 02:48 PM
looks like your still up stet that the blazers lost against the bulls yesterday.

DQL
02-27-2010, 02:50 PM
I do think Westbrook is better than Rose. I'm really impressed with his defense. He's already a top 5 defensive PG. Rose doesn't play much D which is the reason why I pick Westbrook over him. WB will be a better version of Baron Davis. I wish the Heat had traded down to get his guy.

Chacarron
02-27-2010, 02:52 PM
Westbrook is a beast and there is something about Rose (maybe all the threads created here about him) that makes me like him less.

D1JM
02-27-2010, 02:52 PM
[QUOTE=kozelkid;12444781]Billups and Parker disagree. And when was the last time a pass first pg won? 1990, Isiah Thomas. So nope.[/QUOTE

If you are going to post, post facts. Parker has averaged 16.7 ppg for his career.Prior t0 2008 he has never scored 20 ppg, And the one year he did average 22 ppg they were smoked by my Mavs in the first round of the 08-09 playoffs.

2nd Billups has never averaged 20 ppg in a season in his career either. He is averaging 20.3 ppg this year but again they aren't winning a title. Denver is one of the most inconsistent teams in the league. Sure they will wow you and beat Cleveland and La, and then go to the wire with the likes of Golden State or Detroit..... For the record I like their chances better than LA, but they won't win a title.....

magic johnson did

Doogolas
02-27-2010, 02:54 PM

OK but Parker was scoring 18.8 and y'know what's crazy? In the playoffs, each of the last four years, Parker has had more than 20PPG. Y'know what's funny about that... they won a championship two years ago. Parker is not a pass first point guard dude. Chauncey also wasn't a pass first PG scoring 16.4 per game while only getting 5.9ASTs per game in the playoffs. Pass first point guards don't win Championships.

MJ-BULLS
02-27-2010, 02:55 PM
I do think Westbrook is better than Rose. I'm really impressed with his defense. He's already a top 5 defensive PG. Rose doesn't play much D which is the reason why I pick Westbrook over him. WB will be a better version of Baron Davis. I wish the Heat had traded down to get his guy.

top 5 defensive PG, no.

kidd, paul, d will, billups, and Rondo even though i hate him are all better than him.

kozelkid
02-27-2010, 02:55 PM
If you are going to post, post facts. Parker has averaged 16.7 ppg for his career.

Pointless fact.

Prior t0 2008 he has never scored 20 ppg, And the one year he did average 22 ppg they were smoked by my Mavs in the first round of the 08-09 playoffs.

Again, so what. ppg mean little if you don't adjust the pace of the team nor the fact that Spurs had 3 allstars. Point is, Parker was the finals mvp against the cavs. He helped lead the team to the championship that year.

2nd Billups has never averaged 20 ppg in a season in his career either.

So what. Pistons was a defensive team with balanced scoring and with a slow pace. But Billups always had the ball in clutch situations. He was the leader of that team offensively.

He is averaging 20.3 ppg this year but again they aren't winning a title.

Another bold statement considering Denver is very capable of winning it.

Regardless, pass first pgs haven't' shown capable of winning it. In the end of the day, Rose looks like a good enough scorer to be a number one perimeter option along with a very good pf like a Bosh. So the pass first pg concept is debunked.

Bullsfan22
02-27-2010, 02:56 PM
Also when it comes to Rose people seem to for get the simple fact that he plays with another point guard.

bigsams50
02-27-2010, 02:56 PM
Westbrook is a beast and there is something about Rose (maybe all the threads created here about him) that makes me like him less.

Who wouldnt start hating a player if he averages 3 threads aday

kozelkid
02-27-2010, 02:57 PM
OK but Parker was scoring 18.8 and y'know what's crazy? In the playoffs, each of the last four years, Parker has had more than 20PPG. Y'know what's funny about that... they won a championship two years ago. Parker is not a pass first point guard dude. Chauncey also wasn't a pass first PG scoring 16.4 per game while only getting 5.9ASTs per game in the playoffs. Pass first point guards don't win Championships.

Or at least very rarely or unless they are a top 5 player of all time (Magic).

kozelkid
02-27-2010, 02:58 PM

It doesn't help when trolls know that, and love feeding on those reactions.
This poster, doesn't appear to be one, just needs to stop posting so many damn threads to begin with.

drobe86
02-27-2010, 02:59 PM

No offense but Billups averaging 16 ppg isn't exactly filling it up. There are 100 Nba players that average 16 ppg. 20 ppg is the standard for great scorers. And the playoffs you're talking about a high of 28 games. Which I know every series didn't go 7 every time so I mean that's not all that impressive. And 18.8 is not 20 for the record.

drobe86
02-27-2010, 03:00 PM
[QUOTE=drobe86;12444880]

magic johnson did

Right.. 20 years ago. You do know it's 2010 right???

nitric
02-27-2010, 03:01 PM
Russ would be better if he was shooting at a good FG%. 41% isn't all that great...especially for a PG AND especially for someone who plays next to Durant(who constantly takes double teams). Rose is the main attraction for opposing teams and is constantly double teamed and is shooting at a 48%. All in all, the 08 draft was AMAZING :D

kozelkid
02-27-2010, 03:04 PM
No offense but Billups averaging 16 ppg isn't exactly filling it up. There are 100 Nba players that average 16 ppg. 20 ppg is the standard for great scorers. And the playoffs you're talking about a high of 28 games. Which I know every series didn't go 7 every time so I mean that's not all that impressive. And 18.8 is not 20 for the record.

Once again, when you adjust pace and realize that Pistons had a balanced attack, you realize he scored only 16ppg. However, in the end of the day when the game is on the line, the ball ALWAYS went to Billups. He was the number one option on that team, and as such he lead the team as a SCORE first pg.

Doogolas
02-27-2010, 03:05 PM

Wow. You're really arguing semantics aren't you. How about this:

Over his last 55 playoff games, one Tony Parker has averaged well over 20PPG. Does that do anything for you? He's not a pass first guard. He never will be. He's a very good scoring guard.

Baller1
02-27-2010, 03:07 PM

You're clueless.

OKC is one of the top rebounding teams in the league. Good try.

He has a better A/TO ratio than Rose.

Kyben36
02-27-2010, 03:08 PM
I dont care, Russel westbrook is a heck of a player, but not a guy you can build around, He is a good 2nd option. and a great 3rd, Rose can be a #1 option, Great #2,

Rose has a higher ceiling and is a better player to build around

Russel doesnt have to be a #1 though, since you guys have Durrant, So whats the big deal

Rose is a#1, while russel isnt, dont take it as a diss, he is still good, but not #1 quality.

kozelkid
02-27-2010, 03:10 PM
You're clueless.

OKC is one of the top rebounding teams in the league. Good try.

Pace adjusted. Good try though. Using raw rebounding numbers is very piss poor statistical analysis on your part.

He has a better A/TO ratio than Rose.

Yup. It's still bad though considering he's a 2nd or third option with Kevin Durant.

Doogolas
02-27-2010, 03:11 PM
Nvm.

-Kobe24-TJ19-
02-27-2010, 03:12 PM
I seriously consider retiring on PSD if I see another Rose thread in 10 minutes!

D1JM
02-27-2010, 03:13 PM

have you noticed though that most of rose threads are done by non-bulls fan

Baller1
Russ would be better if he was shooting at a good FG%. 41% isn't all that great...especially for a PG AND especially for someone who plays next to Durant(who constantly takes double teams). Rose is the main attraction for opposing teams and is constantly double teamed and is shooting at a 48%. All in all, the 08 draft was AMAZING :D

So if Rose attracts so many double teams, why are his assists numbers so terrible?

Rose isn't a PG.

Westbrook>Rose

magichatnumber9
The worst thing that could have happened to Derrick Rose happened. He got drafted by his home team.

D1JM
02-27-2010, 03:15 PM
[QUOTE=D1RoseJM;12444923]

Right.. 20 years ago. You do know it's 2010 right???

no i didnt realize it was 2010. I didnt read the fineprint that said it had to be in this decade

Meth
02-27-2010, 03:15 PM
have you noticed though that most of rose threads are done by non-bulls fan

Hmm.. *thinks* *looks at his name* *shrugs* Meh, I don't know.

drobe86
02-27-2010, 03:16 PM
I seriously consider retiring on PSD if I see another Rose thread in 10 minutes!

I 2nd that. Chicago fans act like Derrick Rose is really special. I mean he's good but he's not better than Westbrook. And he's not all that much better than say Tyreke Evans, Brandon Jennings, or even Stephon Curry....

Doogolas
02-27-2010, 03:16 PM
So if Rose attracts so many double teams, why are his assists numbers so terrible?

Rose isn't a PG.

Westbrook>Rose

It's in large part do to the fact that it's not that easy to get an assist off a double team. You don't get an assist every single time you pass to the guy that scores. If he dribbles a few times or passes, no assist for you. Secondly, most of the Bulls players suck at shooting.

Baller1
02-27-2010, 03:19 PM
Pace adjusted. Good try though. Using raw rebounding numbers is very piss poor statistical analysis on your part.

Yup. It's still bad though considering he's a 2nd or third option with Kevin Durant.

It's actually not poor analysis; you're just trying to find a stat that works in your favor. OKC is a top rebounding team in the league. Simple.

Still bad? Rose's assists should be sky-high if he attracts all the double teams everyone claims he does... but he doesn't. Westbrook is better in every aspect of the game except for scoring. Scoring isn't important coming from a PG.

And just to throw one more thing out there, Westbrook's first year every being a solidified starting Point Guard was last season. He had to learn an entirely new position, and how to become an entirely new player. He's done it ridiculously fast, and becoming a better player than Rose proves it.

Bullsfan22
02-27-2010, 03:19 PM
I 2nd that. Chicago fans act like Derrick Rose is really special. I mean he's good but he's not better than Westbrook. And he's not all that much better than say Tyreke Evans, Brandon Jennings, or even Stephon Curry....

:laugh:

Doogolas
02-27-2010, 03:20 PM
Hmm.. *thinks* *looks at his name* *shrugs* Meh, I don't know.

If you actually looked at the active posters in the Bulls forum, NONE of us are the ones posting these BS threads. We don't like it, it's obnoxious and annoying as ****.

nitric
02-27-2010, 03:20 PM

Rose isn't a PG.

Westbrook>Rose

No one on our team can finish outside of Rose? Plus the Bulls system isn't very assist friendly. Also the biggest thing, Rose doesn't have a kevin durant playing next to him. No 3 point shooters. :p Is 6APG really terrible assist numbers? Dayum :speechless:

Doogolas
02-27-2010, 03:21 PM
It's actually not poor analysis; you're just trying to find a stat that works in your favor. OKC is a top rebounding team in the league. Simple.

Still bad? Rose's assists should be sky-high if he attracts all the double teams everyone claims he does... but he doesn't. Westbrook is better in every aspect of the game except for scoring. Scoring isn't important coming from a PG.

And just to throw one more thing out there, Westbrook's first year every being a solidified starting Point Guard was last season. He had to learn an entirely new position, and how to become an entirely new player. He's done it ridiculously fast, and becoming a better player than Rose proves it.

:laugh2: Isn't that the whole point of debating sports? To find stats that work in your favor?

Secondly, they have VERY poor rebounding BIG men. To use YOUR stat, their best rebounder has 7.2RPG. That is how you get a PG averaging a bunch of rebounds (along with him being good at it) nobody is saying RW isn't a great rebounder but he has a lot of opportunities because his big men suck at it.

Baller1
02-27-2010, 03:21 PM
It's in large part do to the fact that it's not that easy to get an assist off a double team. You don't get an assist every single time you pass to the guy that scores. If he dribbles a few times or passes, no assist for you. Secondly, most of the Bulls players suck at shooting.

The Thunder have a very poor shooting team, aside from Durant. Westbrook doesn't get all of his assists off Durant. Most of them are from his insane ability to drive and kick.

Baller1
02-27-2010, 03:22 PM
:laugh2: Isn't that the whole point of debating sports? To find stats that work in your favor?

Secondly, they have VERY poor rebounding BIG men. To use YOUR stat, their best rebounder has 7.2RPG. That is how you get a PG averaging a bunch of rebounds (along with him being good at it) nobody is saying RW isn't a great rebounder but he has a lot of opportunities because his big men suck at it.

So what exactly are you arguing if you agree Westbrook is a great rebounder?

kozelkid
02-27-2010, 03:22 PM

Because the system Bulls employ doesn't get him many assists. He also plays most of the time with another pg and his teammates don't make shots like Kevin Durant.

Rose isn't a PG.

I guess neither is Billups, Devin Harris or Parker :rolleyes:

Westbrook>Rose

Nope.
Rose has better PER, better ts%, better efg%, better fg%, less turnovers (at a higher usage%).
Westbrook is a better rebounder and defender. That's it. As a passer he's overrated and plays with a top 3 guard.
I don't know about you, but I'd take Rose.

The[chi][town]
02-27-2010, 03:23 PM

Rose isn't a PG.

Westbrook>Rose

because were a jump shooting team that has the tendency to miss open jumpers or have people that like to jab step for 10 seconds before shooting the ball

_Supreme_
02-27-2010, 03:25 PM
I will take Westbrook over Derrick McFranchise as my team's point guard any day of the week.

Doogolas
02-27-2010, 03:25 PM
The Thunder have a very poor shooting team, aside from Durant. Westbrook doesn't get all of his assists off Durant. Most of them are from his insane ability to drive and kick.

Rose could drive and kick too, but here's the thing, the Bulls are 24th in FG% this year. 24th. OKC is 17th. And see, here's the other thing, Rose shoots 48.5% while our team is 44.8% which means the people around him shoot LOWER than 44.8% while Westbrook is shooting at 41.8% and his team is shooting at 45.6% so he is actually hurting his team's shooting percentage which means the team around him is actually shooting higher than 45.6%.

Are you following me here? The Bulls SUCK at shooting. And Rose gets screwed out of a TON of assists because of it.

Baller1
02-27-2010, 03:26 PM
Because the system Bulls employ doesn't get him many assists. He also plays most of the time with another pg and his teammates don't make shots like Kevin Durant.

I guess neither is Billups, Devin Harris or Parker :rolleyes:

Nope.
Rose has better PER, better ts%, better efg%, better fg%, less turnovers (at a higher usage%).
Westbrook is a better rebounder and defender. That's it. As a passer he's overrated and plays with a top 3 guard.
I don't know about you, but I'd take Rose.

So, Rose is a better scorer.

That's all that those stats represent, and I've said it over and over that Rose is a better scorer.

Point Guards aren't expected to score, so therefore Westbrook is the better PG than Rose.

kozelkid
02-27-2010, 03:26 PM

No I just use valid stats and take everything into account. In fact here you just proved my point.

Exactly. More missed shots equals more rebounds. Simple.

No they shouldn't. Once again, Bulls for some stupid reason employ a system where the sf's go iso way too much which leads to few assists. And he plays with another pg.
And if by every aspect you mean rebounding and defense, then sure.
Scoring is a HUGE deal no matter what. Westbrook isn't a good passer given his a/to ratio and playing with Durant. Good try though.

Based on what? Funny how I keep dishing stats and you use simple raw stats :laugh2:

D1JM
02-27-2010, 03:27 PM
this guy just did this thread because he is upset rose led the bulls to victory over his blazers

Doogolas

I'm arguing that Rose could average very similar rebound numbers playing on that team too. Rose is actually good at rebounding but our big men are awesome at it so he doesn't. He may not have QUITE as many as Westbrook, but he'd certainly be getting a lot more if our bigs didn't get so many.

kozelkid

That his rebounding numbers wouldn't be as high on the Bulls or Rose's would be higher on the Thunder. The difference between the 2 in rebounding is much closer than raw stats suggest.

Baller1
02-27-2010, 03:28 PM
Rose could drive and kick too, but here's the thing, the Bulls are 24th in FG% this year. 24th. OKC is 17th. And see, here's the other thing, Rose shoots 48.5% while our team is 44.8% which means the people around him shoot LOWER than 44.8% while Westbrook is shooting at 41.8% and his team is shooting at 45.6% so he is actually hurting his team's shooting percentage which means the team around him is actually shooting higher than 45.6%.

Are you following me here? The Bulls SUCK at shooting. And Rose gets screwed out of a TON of assists because of it.

I understand that, the Bulls really are pathetic at shooting.

But here, look at it this way.

Westbrook's have been rising ALL year, just as Rose's scoring numbers have. So, I can use the excuse that Westbrook's assist numbers would be even higher if he played the way he is all year.

That's the same scenario you guys use for Rose.

kozelkid
02-27-2010, 03:29 PM
So, Rose is a better scorer.

That's all that those stats represent, and I've said it over and over that Rose is a better scorer.

Point Guards aren't expected to score, so therefore Westbrook is the better PG than Rose.

Says who?
Depends on your team. Like I said, a pass first pg hasn't lead a team to a championship since 1990.
Rose is a facilitator and a scorer. He does similarly to what great guards like Billups, Harris, Parker, Wade, Roy etc do.
Fine, he's a better GUARD than Westbrook.

Baller1
02-27-2010, 03:30 PM
I'm arguing that Rose could average very similar rebound numbers playing on that team too. Rose is actually good at rebounding but our big men are awesome at it so he doesn't. He may not have QUITE as many as Westbrook, but he'd certainly be getting a lot more if our bigs didn't get so many.

I never said Rose was a bad rebounder. I simply said Westbrook is a better rebound, clearly. He's the second best rebounding PG in the league, behind only Kidd.

Baller1
02-27-2010, 03:32 PM
Says who?
Depends on your team. Like I said, a pass first pg hasn't lead a team to a championship since 1990.
Rose is a facilitator and a scorer. He does similarly to what great guards like Billups, Harris, Parker, Wade, Roy etc do.
Fine, he's a better GUARD than Westbrook.

Because he scores?

So you would take a:

30 point, 5 assist, 3 rebound, 1 steal, 1 block game

Over a:

19 point, 12 assist, 6 rebound, 2 steal, 1 block game

from your PG?

I sure as hell wouldn't.

kozelkid
02-27-2010, 03:32 PM
I never said Rose was a bad rebounder. I simply said Westbrook is a better rebound, clearly. He's the second best rebounding PG in the league, behind only Kidd.

And no one said Westbrook defender. Our point is simple, the difference between the 2 in rebounding is much smaller than raw stats suggest. i agree, Westbrook is a great rebounder. However Rose is very good as well.

Doogolas
02-27-2010, 03:33 PM
I understand that, the Bulls really are pathetic at shooting.

But here, look at it this way.

Westbrook's have been rising ALL year, just as Rose's scoring numbers have. So, I can use the excuse that Westbrook's assist numbers would be even higher if he played the way he is all year.

That's the same scenario you guys use for Rose.

We actually used the fact that Rose had an injury through all of Preseason and the start of the year and since the injury has been playing better. That's the only reason we brought up his drastic incline in numbers.

kozelkid
02-27-2010, 03:34 PM
Because he scores?

So you would take a:

30 point, 5 assist, 3 rebound, 1 steal, 1 block game

Over a:

19 point, 12 assist, 6 rebound, 2 steal, 1 block game

from your PG?

I sure as hell wouldn't.

I definitely would.
Also depends on the efficiency of each player as well.
And again, I don't understand why such focus on the label of pg? Why not just GUARD.
And for the record guys like Wade and kobe average that first stat line, while guys like Paul, Nash, Deron average the second.
the first combine for 5 titles, the second ZERO.

bears88
02-27-2010, 03:34 PM
oky i got a suggestion stop creating these stupid threads about comparing PG's oky all first year and second year PG have their own style and comfort they play in my point is they are all going to be great superstar PG's

D1JM
02-27-2010, 03:36 PM
who cares who is better? Everyone has their opinion. At the end of the day, we know that derrick rose has probably sold more jersey's in one year than westbrook would his entire life

Baller1
02-27-2010, 03:38 PM
I definitely would.
And again, I don't understand why such focus on the label of pg? Why not just GUARD.
And for the record guys like Wade and kobe average that first stat line, while guys like Paul, Nash, Deron average the second.

Westbook has Durant, so he really doesn't need to score. I can guarantee Westbrook wins a title before Rose.

UNLESS, they get Lebron this offseason. I'm not going to kid myself. So actually, I'll have to wait and see what happens after this crazy offseason. Then I'll see where I stand on the "championship" topic.

uws
02-27-2010, 03:38 PM
I definitely would.

you are comparing a small forward and a shooting guard in a conversation about pg's, do you have any idea what you are talking about

Doogolas
02-27-2010, 03:39 PM
you are comparing a small forward and a shooting guard in a conversation about pg's, do you have any idea what you are talking about

Neither Kobe nor Wade are Small Forwards. They both play Shooting Guard. Are you on crack?

Baller1
who cares who is better? Everyone has their opinion. At the end of the day, we know that derrick rose has probably sold more jersey's in one year than westbrook would his entire life

:laugh2:

****, you're right; Rose is better. I see it now.

Doogolas
Westbook has Durant, so he really doesn't need to score. I can guarantee Westbrook wins a title before Rose.

UNLESS, they get Lebron this offseason. I'm not going to kid myself. So actually, I'll have to wait and see what happens after this crazy offseason. Then I'll see where I stand on the "championship" topic.

I'm going to hold you to this.

nitric
02-27-2010, 03:40 PM

wtf :confused: who knows neither will even get to the finals..

Baller1
I'm going to hold you to this.

That's fine.

I won't runaway if I'm wrong either, so don't trip.

Regardless, I truly believe that.

kozelkid

What a BOLD guarantee considering you have a soon to be top 5 player. :rolleyes:

Do YOU have any idea what you are talking about. Where's the sf? Not to mention I classified Rose as a GUARD much like Wade or Kobe.

D1JM

who is a sf?

Doogolas
02-27-2010, 03:41 PM
That's fine.

I won't runaway if I'm wrong either, so don't trip.

Oh, I'm not. I don't even think you'll be wrong since Westbrook already has Durant and there's no guarantee Rose gets any help in the offseason. But calling something like that is absolutely ****ing insane.

D1JM
02-27-2010, 03:43 PM
Oh, I'm not. I don't even think you'll be wrong since Westbrook already has Durant and there's no guarantee Rose gets any help in the offseason. But calling something like that is absolutely ****ing insane.

there is no guarantee durant even stays in OKC

kozelkid
02-27-2010, 03:45 PM

There pretty much is. Unless there is some major change in CBA, Durant will get max as RFA.
Besides he seems like a very loyal kid who loves his team.

Doogolas
02-27-2010, 03:45 PM

It's not like Durant is gone after this year though. Ugh, on the whole, Bulls fans are stupid. It makes me sad.

DodgerBulls
02-27-2010, 03:46 PM
lets just say the two players play on two different systems

D1JM
02-27-2010, 03:47 PM
It's not like Durant is gone after this year though. Ugh, on the whole, Bulls fans are stupid. It makes me sad.

callin me stupid?

bodupp311
02-27-2010, 03:49 PM

Derrick Rose:

Russell Westbrook:

yes we got it you hate Drose, Drose is the worst pg of all-time, he should quit, now stop making threads about drose you damn fool

Baller1
02-27-2010, 03:50 PM
What a BOLD guarantee considering you have a soon to be top 5 player. :rolleyes:

Do YOU have any idea what you are talking about. Where's the sf? Not to mention I classified Rose as a GUARD much like Wade or Kobe.

That's my point, he's not supposed to be a scoring PG. He doesn't need to be, and he's asked to rebound, pass, and make the offense go. I'd say I watch 90-95% of all Thunder games, and whether you think it's just because I'm a homer or not, Westbrook is improving at such a rapid rate it's insane. He was a pathetic decision maker last year, and for a lot of this year. But, he's learning how to play PG, and his numbers reflect it.

Doogolas
02-27-2010, 03:50 PM
callin me stupid?

So are you just inferring that because I attached such a statement to Bulls fans while quoting you that it was an implication about yourself? Seems shortsighted, though not necessarily off base.

Silent
02-27-2010, 03:51 PM
there both gonna be stars in the league so just leave it at that

Doogolas
02-27-2010, 03:51 PM
That's my point, he's not supposed to be a scoring PG. He doesn't need to be, and he's asked to rebound, pass, and make the offense go. I'd say I watch 90-95% of all Thunder games, and whether you think it's just because I'm a homer or not, Westbrook is improving at such a rapid rate it's insane. He was a pathetic decision maker last year, and for a lot of this year. But, he's learning how to play PG, and his numbers reflect it.

It's one thing not to be a scoring PG, it's another thing to HURT YOUR TEAM because you're so bad at scoring. If he was scoring 16PPG and doing it with a good TS% that'd be great. I mean, Kidd is scoring very little, but he does it EXTREMELY efficiently so it's OK. There's a big, big difference.

kozelkid
02-27-2010, 03:52 PM

Ok...
But that's my point, Rose's numbers might be ALOT difference playing with a guy like Durant. For one, he'd be even more efficient, though his scoring wouldn't be as high. For another he'd be a better passer, at least by assist numbers.

D1JM
02-27-2010, 03:54 PM
So are you just inferring that because I attached such a statement to Bulls fans while quoting you that it was an implication about yourself? Seems shortsighted, though not necessarily off base.

i was messin

Baller1
02-27-2010, 03:54 PM
Take it for what it's worth, but here's a pretty good article about Westbrook after his near triple-double last night.

Westbrook nears triple-double in Thunder victory

By Jeff Latzke, AP Sports Writer
OKLAHOMA CITY Russell Westbrook's first season in the NBA was a trial by fire in trying to play a mostly new position at the highest level. And it showed.
As the Oklahoma City Thunder go through perhaps the league's most remarkable turnaround this season, none of their players embodies it more than their second-year point guard.

Westbrook scored 18 points, matched his own franchise record with 15 assists and narrowly missed his second triple-double against the Minnesota Timberwolves in less than a week, and the Thunder cruised to a 109-92 victory Friday night.

"He's been like an MVP," said teammate Kevin Durant, who finished with 25 points. "A lot of people talk about me myself, but I think he's been the best player on our team, the guy that's the catalyst for our offense and defense. He's been keeping everybody involved and also making shots himself. He's putting a lot of pressure on the defense, man, and he's been playing phenomenal.

"A lot of people tend to overlook him because he's not one of the bigger-name point guards, but he's been playing just as good as any point guard."

After leading the league in turnovers as a rookie last season, Westbrook has improved his assist-to-turnover ratio from 1.6 to 2.5 this season. With his second 15-assist game this season, he surpassed his assist total from all of last season -- in 25 fewer games.

"Just learning. Just slowing down and making better passes and passing on time," Westbrook said. "Just trying to get as close to being perfect with the passes as I can."

Westbrook wasn't even a starting point guard in his time at UCLA, where he shared the backcourt with New Orleans Hornets rookie Darren Collison. But he supplanted Earl Watson in the Thunder's starting lineup early last season, perhaps before he was really ready.

"It's a part of the learning scale," Durant said. "Everybody has it when they first come into the league. Of course, you don't come in and average 10 assists and two turnovers. You've got to go through them bumps and he's done that and he's way past it, and he's getting better each game.

"It's just a matter of time before he gets a double-double every game or close to a triple-double every game."

Westbrook had the second triple-double of his career only five days earlier in a 109-107 win at Minnesota. This time, he had eight rebounds when he was removed from the game in the final four minutes and the Thunder up by 22.

"You want Russell to be active in all areas of the game," Thunder coach Scott Brooks said. "You don't want him to focus on one area. He's a dynamic athlete that can go to the offensive boards, he can rebound, he can pass, he can attack the basket and get to the free throw line.

"He's not a traditional point guard, nor would I want him to be a traditional point guard. He is in attack mode and makes plays and he is doing a great job of improving on his decisions every night."

Oklahoma City never trailed had seven players score in double figures, including Nick Collison (right knee) and rookie Serge Ibaka (back), who had missed the Thunder's previous game with injuries. Ibaka had a career-high 14 points and Collison scored 10.

Durant reached 25 points for the 30th time in 31 games. His streak was stopped at 29 games by San Antonio on Wednesday night, the longest such streak since Michael Jordan scored at least 25 in 40 straight games in the 1986-87 season.

Kevin Love led the Timberwolves with 19 points and eight rebounds. He has led Minnesota in scoring each of the past four games while coming off the bench.

"He struggled and resisted a little bit coming off the bench but for our team, it gives us better opportunities with both of our units," said Wolves coach Kurt Rambis, who moved Love into a reserve role last month. "Once he got himself into a comfort area in playing off the bench, his numbers just climbed right back up again."

The Timberwolves were never within single digits in the second half while losing for the eighth time in nine games. Oklahoma City used a 19-4 run to build a 25-point lead in the third quarter, with Westbrook's double-pump layup putting the Thunder up 76-51 with 4:24 left.

Minnesota got within 15 twice early in the fourth quarter, but the Thunder pushed the lead to 103-81 after Ibaka had a two-handed jam and a layup on back-to-back possessions. It wasn't long before Westbrook and Durant were both out of the game.

The Thunder bounced back following back-to-back losses against the teams that had been immediately behind them in the Western Conference playoff race. Oklahoma City had won nine in a row before those losses to Phoenix and San Antonio.

"This isn't the type of team that you're going to come into this environment and outscore," Minnesota coach Kurt Rambis said. "You're going to have to find ways to get stops, and we weren't doing that."

NOTES: Former No. 2 overall pick Darko Milicic, acquired in a trade from the New York Knicks, had six points and led the Timberwolves with nine rebounds in 25 minutes -- his most playing time since joining the team. "Even by his own admission, he didn't keep himself in NBA basketball shape," Rambis said. "So, right now, it's almost like he's come to training camp without doing any summer work." Rambis said Milicic there's not enough time left this season for Milicic to blend in entirely with his new teammates but he has shown promise on defense and needs to regain confidence on offense. ... Former Oklahoma City G Damien Wilkins has scored 15 or more points in a game only five times this season but twice against his former team. The Thunder held him scoreless this time.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/basketball/nba/2010-02-26-4260453091_x.htm

Baller1
02-27-2010, 03:58 PM
It's one thing not to be a scoring PG, it's another thing to HURT YOUR TEAM because you're so bad at scoring. If he was scoring 16PPG and doing it with a good TS% that'd be great. I mean, Kidd is scoring very little, but he does it EXTREMELY efficiently so it's OK. There's a big, big difference.

He's terrible at scoring (well, mainly shooting for that matter). And yes, if he shot better, who knows where this team would be. However, look at where Westbrook was last year, and look where the team was. Look at Westbrook now, and look where the team is at.

Remember just about a month ago? Everyone was ripping on Westbrook for shooting 38% (rightfully so). Now, he's up over 41%. Listen, that's still pathetic no doubt, But, this kid is still learning how to even play the position, and the only thing his game lacks is scoring. He's improving though. So I'm not worried about his scoring efficiency at this point in time at all.

Doogolas
02-27-2010, 03:58 PM
Are you really going to try to use some random article? Come on man.

Doogolas
02-27-2010, 03:59 PM
He's terrible at scoring (well, mainly shooting for that matter). And yes, if he shot better, who knows where this team would be. However, look at where Westbrook was last year, and look where the team was. Look at Westbrook now, and look where the team is at.

Remember just about a month ago? Everyone was ripping on Westbrook for shooting 38% (rightfully so). Now, he's up over 41%. Listen, that's still pathetic no doubt, But, this kid is still learning how to even play the position, and the only thing his game lacks is scoring. He's improving though. So I'm not worried about his scoring efficiency at this point in time at all.

I'm confused... Westbrook did a better job scoring last year than this year. Not by much. But he did do a better job. His ts% is lower this year than last year. That means his efficiency has actually gone DOWN.

Also, you seem to think I don't like Westbrook, but he's one of my favorite players in the NBA. But for the time being Rose is better. Rose takes over games almost nightly for the Bulls. Westbrook has Durant, I realize this, but Rose is the better player right now and probably in the future too and that's not a knock on Westbrook.

Baller1
02-27-2010, 04:01 PM
Are you really going to try to use some random article? Come on man.

I said it was a pretty good read? It came with no claims as it being evident of anything?

Doogolas
02-27-2010, 04:06 PM
I said it was a pretty good read? It came with no claims as it being evident of anything?

Is it not safe to assume that it was in some way backing your claim that he doesn't need to be the main scorer on the team? I realize that, never said otherwise. It doesn't make him any better of a scorer. I've said it like 100 times, I love Westbrook, one of my favorite players I always use him in 2K10, but that he's not better than Rose right now and probably won't be unless he becomes a much, much more efficient scorer. That doesn't mean he needs to score MORE, he just needs to do it at a much, much more efficient level.

KnicksorBust
02-27-2010, 04:07 PM

I think Westbrook can't win people over until he has a good playoff series. His regular season stats eye-popping in good and bad was. Obviously Durant is going to shower him with compliments. That's what a good superstar does. I think to compare him to someone like Rose is a bit pre-mature. This is why I don't post about Gallinari much... he's doing some things great but needs to get better before the rest of the league realizes how good he is. You know?

kjoke
02-27-2010, 04:08 PM
rose<westbrook<rondo :D

nah but seriously i would take westbrook over rose. pg who have a much more rounded game like westrook, imo are more special than a "star" pg whos job is to be the sg.

RaptorizedKevin
02-27-2010, 04:14 PM

Derrick Rose:

Russell Westbrook:

well obviousily, rose is the best player on the team. Westbrook is playing behind a superstar. i guarantee yu if rose was playing with durant, he wouldnt score or produce anywhere close to his numbers

Doogolas
02-27-2010, 04:17 PM
well obviousily, rose is the best player on the team. Westbrook is playing behind a superstar. i guarantee yu if rose was playing with durant, he wouldnt score or produce anywhere close to his numbers

You realize this actually doesn't make any sense if you're speaking English/American? I mean, literally, it makes no sense at all.

kjoke
02-27-2010, 04:19 PM
he speaks canadian

mjqusoldier
02-27-2010, 04:20 PM
very close. Rose, Westbrook, Rondo, Jennings, CP, DEron and Wall will be the pg's in the league for a long time

KnicksorBust
02-27-2010, 04:23 PM
very close. Rose, Westbrook, Rondo, Jennings, CP, DEron and Wall will be the pg's in the league for a long time

I agree. They will be the point guards in the league. Bold statement.

dikimbemutumbo
02-27-2010, 04:32 PM
Roses scorig and efficiency speak for themselves. Give rose durant and green, then his assists would be there, and give him a worse rebounding team, his rebounds are better. He is working w/ Noah, who is a premier rebounder in the league, thomas for the season so far, an above averge rebounder when he's on, and deng, who is averaging 7.5 game.

Pran Raznor
02-27-2010, 04:39 PM
I agree. They will be the point guards in the league. Bold statement.

Lmao