PDA

View Full Version : Coach Jackson blasts NBA rules for Ilgauskas situation!!!

fairandbalanced
02-26-2010, 07:47 PM
"It's a sham of sorts to make that kind of trade. You're not really trading a player. You're just trading a money situation. It's a sham, and I think it's a disrespect for the league and the players to be involved in this type of a thing.''

http://www.hoopsnotes.com/2010/02/phil-jackson-ilgauskas-situation-a-sham/

It seems like what was good for the Lakers, (Memphis inadvertently saving money in Gasol for Kwame trade) is not good for the Cavs. I do agree with coach Jackson that there should be rule changes barring that kind of trade from happening in the future.

madiaz3
02-26-2010, 07:51 PM

It seems like what was good for the Lakers, (Memphis inadvertently saving money in Gasol for Kwame trade) is not good for the Cavs. I do agree with coach Jackson that there should be rule changes barring that kind of trade from happening in the future.

I don't think those are the same situations.

heathonater
02-26-2010, 07:57 PM
i dont think the lakers signed any of the players they traded away for gasol. memphis didnt get equal value for gasol, but the nba really needs to make a rule against signing players you traded away.

Raph12
I agree that it should be taken out, but after this season.

Now if Lebron has any complaints about his surrounding cast, he's officially the biggest baby in NBA history.

kEviN21
Sounds like Jacksons a little scared of some competition ;)

WITZ
02-26-2010, 08:05 PM
Sounds like Jacksons a little scared of some competition ;)

Yes it does, I guess he thinks it great for the league when u trade for Pau for basically ur garbage(only Exception Marc)

iggypop123
02-26-2010, 08:14 PM

kwame brown was not bought out and resigned with the lakers. completely different situation. i dont blame the cavs for raping the system. they got jamison straight up for a late first rounder.

Vinny642
02-26-2010, 08:18 PM
Jackson is complaining about this.... just because the Cavs did the deal, if it were the Nets he wouldn't care.

GoatMilk
02-26-2010, 08:25 PM
Yes it does, I guess he thinks it great for the league when u trade for Pau for basically ur garbage(only Exception Marc)

they got marc and freed up enough money to go get ZBo

ZBo and Marc > Pau

Bashna
02-26-2010, 08:26 PM
Jackson is complaining about this.... just because the Cavs did the deal, if it were the Nets he wouldn't care.

AMEN! Seriously, did he ***** when the pistons did it? Or the Spurs? Nope....

GoatMilk
02-26-2010, 08:31 PM
Phil's not the only one complaining publicly about this loophole

Stan Van Gundy and Doc Rivers have recently too

This is pretty corrupt imo.
it'll be fixed soon I bet.

JNA17
02-26-2010, 08:33 PM
old news, it was posted before.

Bashna
02-26-2010, 08:35 PM
Phil's not the only one complaining publicly about this loophole

Stan Van Gundy and Doc Rivers have recently too

This is pretty corrupt imo.
it'll be fixed soon I bet.

I wonder WHY their complaining? Oh no, our competition got better, cry me a river... This has happened MANY times before, and NO ONE cared if a non-contender did it, but when its a team making a move that gets them that much closer to a title, suddenly everyone has an opinion. What a load of hypocritical $#!t.

J_M_B
02-26-2010, 08:36 PM
Phil shouldn't be complaining because he got Pau Gasol for free..

NYtilIdie
02-26-2010, 08:36 PM
Eh, its been done before nothing new. Its just since the Cavs are the best team in the league its a big deal, but when the Pistons did it last year nobody cared.

Bashna
02-26-2010, 08:38 PM
Eh, its been done before nothing new. Its just since the Cavs are the best team in the league its a big deal, but when the Pistons did it last year nobody cared.

exactly.

ARMIN12NBA
02-26-2010, 08:51 PM
:laugh2: The situations are totally different. The Lakers didn't trade a player with the understanding that they were getting that player back. They traded players to get other players. Value for value. Both teams have benefited and improved from the trade.

stawka
02-26-2010, 09:01 PM
The Lakers traded a used tampon for Pau Gasol, Phil Jackson should STFU! OK you're the greatest coach of all-time, but stop making yourself look like a whiny little *****. At least Doc Rivers comes out and says "I hate the trade only because they're title contenders. If it was us, I'd love it".

Just STFU and worry about your own team, not other teams

*Superman*
02-26-2010, 09:01 PM
I agree. Well at least it sucks for real contenders. All you give up is a late 1st for Jaminson and you get Z back? Thats bs.

iggypop123
02-26-2010, 09:08 PM
The Lakers traded a used tampon for Pau Gasol, Phil Jackson should STFU! OK you're the greatest coach of all-time, but stop making yourself look like a whiny little *****. At least Doc Rivers comes out and says "I hate the trade only because they're title contenders. If it was us, I'd love it".

Just STFU and worry about your own team, not other teams

kwame brown, marc gasol, 2 first rounders> 1 first rounder

stawka
02-26-2010, 09:11 PM
kwame brown, marc gasol, 2 first rounders> 1 first rounder

Oh this that how it worked? :rolleyes:

CLMCII
02-26-2010, 09:12 PM

Yeppers!

GCOOKIE7
02-26-2010, 09:19 PM
If you scared go to church!
-Ice Cube

mikantsass
02-26-2010, 11:44 PM
What doesnt Jackson complain about?

JasonJohnHorn
02-27-2010, 12:02 AM
I don't think those are the same situations.

You are right to say they aren't the same. They aren't. But that is not to say they aren't similar. Jackson has forever had the benefit of signing ring chasing all-stars for the vet minimum while mid-level teams have to over pay for mid-level talent. Jackson has more than once been on the winning end on a trade that was based on money (Rodman for Purdue back in the Chi-town days and Gasol-for-Bynum). Jackson has had a charmed life. He gets guys like Artest for the mid-level exception, guys like Karl Malone and Gary Payton to add to Kobe and Shaq, he gets guys like Mitch Richmond and Dennis Rodman fall into his lap, and now, once, another team get the benefit of a buyout after a salary based trade (which the Gasol trade was- a salary based move), and he's gotta moan?

There are rules, the Cavs have done their best to work within the boundaries of those rules (just as the Lakers have) and in the past the Lakers reaped many rewards (four rings since Jackson has gotten there), and Jackson never once said: you know what, its not fair that we the Lakers get more calls going are way. Or: Its not fair to the other teams in the league that all-stars with a desire to win a ring take on small salaries to play for stacked teams. Now, when his team potentially may face a team of equal talent (and I say may because even with their current roster I'd still pick a healthy Lakers team this year), he has to bemoan about the situation and call it unfair for other teams in the league? Well guess what, that's the way the cookie crumbles. You'd think a guy with eleven rings as a coach and player wouldn't whine so much about things not being fair for him.

There were rumours going around before the Lakers signed Shaq that he had already agreed to a contract with them while still under contract with the Magic (hence the Lakers dumping salaries and talent to sign Shaq), and Jackson didn't whine when Toronto was forced to buy-out Mourning so he could play for a team he had already agreed to a contract with and was practicing with while he was under contract with another team (because the Lakers weren't in contention that year so Jackson did care because it didn't impact him).

Bottom line is Jackson is already coming up with excuses. Well guess what. Fans of the game can get tired of seeing teams get hammered by the refs. They get tired of all-stars signing for the vet-min to play on a team that is already a champion, but we don't bemoan and say its unfair. We continue to watch the games and love the sport and hope things get corrected, but the bottom line is Big Z was a free agent (like Malone and Payton, and richmond, and Rider and Rodman, and Green, and Grant, and Shaw and Harper did with the Lakers), he signed with the team he wanted, and the Cavs picked up a talented player from a team that was looking to dump salaries (like the Lakers did with Gasol).

as another poster put it a week ago: Pot. Kettle. Black.

RaptorizedKevin
02-27-2010, 12:04 AM
jackson needs to calm down. he got pau gasol for free at the time, and if he didnt he'd loose kobe, so he shouldnt cry. even if he didnt, they wouldnt have kobe because he was gonna be traded ,and they'd have marc gasol.