PDA

View Full Version : Blake Griffin Projects Being 100 Percent as Soon as May

DenButsu
02-26-2010, 06:46 AM
Blake Griffin Projects Being 100 Percent as Soon as May
By Chris Tomasson

Griffin, the Clippers forward who is out the entire season and had Jan. 20 surgery to repair a broken left kneecap, had encouraging information Thursday when asked when he will be back to 100 percent.

"Probably sometime in like May,'' Griffin, the NBA's No. 1 pick last June, said in an interview with FanHouse. "At least I'll be able to do workouts without restrictions.''

When Griffin underwent surgery, the Clippers projected he would be out four to six months. Although Griffin later said he didn't know it will be May for sure and Clippers coach Kim Hughes said "June would be more realistic,'' it at least shows the possibility of Griffin being in good shape when the Clippers draft again in the lottery.

"I'm doing rehab and trying to get back and get ready to take that first step,'' Griffin said. "We're kind of taking it week by week. There's no reason to rush. It's not like I have to be back at a certain point. I'll have all summer to work out.''

So it sounds as if Griffin isn't projecting a run to the Finals by the Clippers (24-33), 8 1/2 games out of the eighth and final playoff spot in the West.

After being hurt in the Clippers' final preseason game, Griffin initially was projected to return to action sometime in January. But the Clippers announced Jan. 13 Griffin was done for the season and would undergo surgery.

"I kind of had a feeling in the back of my mind that (surgery) would have to be an option,'' Griffin said. "So that kind of helped me deal with and prepare for it a little bit. I had an MRI and a CT scan in December and it wasn't completely where we wanted it to be but there was still a chance either way. So it was kind of 50-50 in my mind.''

That 50-50 soon turned 0-100 about playing or not playing.

"It's tough,'' Griffin said of sitting out. "But it's kind of like the beginning of the season prepared me for now. I sat and watched the whole beginning of the season, waiting to come back and play. I'm still doing the same thing. It's just kind of extended it a little bit.''

Griffin said missing the entire season could turn out to be a blessing in disguise rather than having come back and perhaps suffered a setback.

"The best thing about it is I'm taking care of it,'' Griffin said. "I'm moving forward. I won't have that piece in my knee that could possibly give me trouble.''fanhouse (http://nba.fanhouse.com/2010/02/25/blake-griffin-projects-being-100-percent-as-soon-as-may/)

The article is clippped, so follow the link for the whole thing.

alencp3
02-26-2010, 08:22 AM
He will be a beast next season. 25/12 .mark my words!

Cavs_Fan24
02-26-2010, 08:35 AM
That means if the clippers make the playoffs... Nevermind

uws
02-26-2010, 08:37 AM
he hasnt been the same since he got a concussion in college, and he never will be. he'll be a bust

DenButsu
02-26-2010, 09:39 AM
That means if the clippers make the playoffs... Nevermind

But if you're a Clippers/Griffin fan, this is excellent news. It means he'll have all summer long to keep working on strength and conditioning, all summer long to get in the gym and run and shoot and move, I'm sure he'll go to a camp or two (Grgurich's would be the obvious choice), and he can really hit the ground running when training camp opens and through the preseason and early season, rather than having to do all of that simultaneously.

If it means he's able to get into form and start hitting his stride in, say, December rather than February, that could mean the difference in a lot of wins in the Clippers' schedule next season - maybe even enough for them to be in the hunt for a playoff seed.

Swashcuff
02-26-2010, 11:19 AM
He will be a beast next season. 25/12 .mark my words!

Rookie MVP candidate? Wow. This prediction is BOLD

Kakaroach
02-26-2010, 12:13 PM
Good news for the Clippers fans. Don't want that injury to nag him for the rest of his career.