PDA

View Full Version : Is it time to re-open the discussion for ROY?

TrueFan420
02-26-2010, 04:55 AM
Curry has been playing great as of late... while I would still put Evans as the lead I think curry is closing the gap fast.

alencp3
02-26-2010, 08:36 AM
Curry is amazing but Reke is more than amazing. Just watch a game of him,dont look at the stats.

Mr.ATLHawks
02-26-2010, 09:03 AM
Not Only Curry but how about Darren Collison..I think this will, after its said and done, be one of the deepest drafts in history. Alot of young studs....Evans, curry, DeRozan, jennings, Collison, Flynn, Taj Gibson, Cassipi, Beaubois, Maynor, Jeff Teague, Harden, Rubio (when he actually comes to play)...alot of young talent contributing in the NBA right now.

alencp3
02-26-2010, 11:25 AM
Not Only Curry but how about Darren Collison..I think this will, after its said and done, be one of the deepest drafts in history. Alot of young studs....Evans, curry, DeRozan, jennings, Collison, Flynn, Taj Gibson, Cassipi, Beaubois, Maynor, Jeff Teague, Harden, Rubio (when he actually comes to play)...alot of young talent contributing in the NBA right now.

I think u forgot Blake Griffin

king4day
02-26-2010, 11:34 AM
Evans has been doing it since the start of the year. The gap might be closing a bit, but unless Evans gets hurt and is out for the year, there's nothing stopping him from winning it.

king4day
02-26-2010, 11:34 AM
I think u forgot Blake Griffin

His brother Taylor just got 2 points the other night in garbage time. A career high if I'm not mistaken. Can't forget about him :D

Rocco007
02-26-2010, 11:38 AM
N.O.'s Marcus Thornton will make a furious late charge...

JasonJohnHorn
02-26-2010, 11:40 AM

Its easy to forget Blake, since he hasn't played, and even easier to forget Thabeet, but how did Blair get left off this list?

As for opening the discussion on ROY. Outside of scoring averages, the only significant difference between the two is 3 point shooting, Curry can and Evans can't. Evans gets more points because he's the only real option on his team, so he gets more shots, whereas Curry has had to share the ball with his backcourt mate Manta Ellis, so the number of shots thye've been getting differ because of that, but speaking to strictly talent, the both seem to be on about the same leve, but Curry has more range and he's getting more steals. Its a tough call, even with a five point gap in scoring averages and Evans's edge on rebounds as well.

mikantsass
02-26-2010, 12:02 PM
Tyreke is a beast. 20.5 ppg, 5.4 apg, 4.8 rpg.... That is great for any player, nevermind a rookie. He has played great all year, not just as of late. Stats aside, give it the eyeball test. Watch a Kings game and tell me who the leader of that team is. Even before K Martin was traded.

While Curry is playing well and its great to see him get recognition, Evans is the ROY and it should be unanimous

mikantsass
02-26-2010, 12:04 PM
Its easy to forget Blake, since he hasn't played, and even easier to forget Thabeet, but how did Blair get left off this list?

Marcus Thornton and Ty Lawson too

Kakaroach
02-26-2010, 12:12 PM
Its a 2 man race for sure, but as long as TyFreak keeps up his play, ROY is his. Unless Curry averages like 30 PPG or something crazy like that for the rest of the season.

Hawkeye15
02-26-2010, 01:15 PM
Nope. Its been over. Unless Evans gets hurt. Curry was terrible out of the gate. Evans has been consistently the best rookie every single month basically. Its been over a while now. Curry had a very good January, and a great february, but Evans has had a very good every month.
On top of that, it should be common knowledge that pace will give any Warrior inflated stats if looking at baseline, espn stats. Translate Curry's numbers to a normal pace team, and you get around 14/4.5, which is right on par with a couple other rookies.

Hawkeye15
02-26-2010, 01:18 PM

As for opening the discussion on ROY. Outside of scoring averages, the only significant difference between the two is 3 point shooting, Curry can and Evans can't. Evans gets more points because he's the only real option on his team, so he gets more shots, whereas Curry has had to share the ball with his backcourt mate Manta Ellis, so the number of shots thye've been getting differ because of that, but speaking to strictly talent, the both seem to be on about the same leve, but Curry has more range and he's getting more steals. Its a tough call, even with a five point gap in scoring averages and Evans's edge on rebounds as well.

explain how this is a tough call. Do you really think Curry has the physical makeup to be the #1 option???? Evans does, and has been doing it. If anything, Curry's freedom to not be the #1 option, and Golden States high pace, inflate his numbers big time. He is in no way having as good a season as Evans. On top of that, lets pull out Curry's October and November numbers. Case closed

Hawkeye15
02-26-2010, 01:23 PM
I will add, not trying to bash Curry here, he has come on very strong, and should be a good player in the NBA. But Evans has consistently been a 20/5/5 player, as the main option on his roster. This competition was over a while back, unless Evans gets hurt, and even then, he may have done enough. When your down month was 19/7/5, Curry is not beating that when he had a 9/4 month early in the season

sacgiants1213
02-26-2010, 01:34 PM
This award is still Tyreke's to lose. He's just really consistent. Sure, he rarely explodes and gets 35+ pts, but he's still great. You know what you'll get from him every day. 20/5/5. He's doing quite well for a player who's already the number 1 target for opposing defenses. Shooting 47%. He's also clutch as hell.

RekeRoy.

Raph12
02-26-2010, 01:39 PM
Curry's been great, but Evans has been consistent and I think it may be too late to make a realistic run at it... Unless Curry drops 55 like Jennings lol.

Mr.ATLHawks
02-26-2010, 01:55 PM
Yes sorry I left Lawson and Blair also excellent rookies. The point was this Draft was extremely deep...I remember the announcers saying this draft wouldnt be a memorable one but I am beginning to the thinking the contrary. This was pretty evident during the Rook/Spoh game when the Rooks just ran the crap out of the sophomores. But like i said this has to be the best draft since the 2003 Draft (Lebron, Wade, Melo, Bosh, Kaman), ....possibly better

pacofunk64
02-26-2010, 02:03 PM
Tyreke by far is my #1 guy. He has been great.

I will add, not trying to bash Curry here, he has come on very strong, and should be a good player in the NBA. But Evans has consistently been a 20/5/5 player, as the main option on his roster. This competition was over a while back, unless Evans gets hurt, and even then, he may have done enough. When your down month was 19/7/5, Curry is not beating that when he had a 9/4 month early in the season

Hawk I see you live in Houston but did you live in Iowa at one time? I live in Cedar Rapids. Go Hawks!

AIMelo=KillaDUO
02-26-2010, 02:05 PM

your gonna put, Rubio, Beaubois, Maynor, and Teague, above Ty Lawson, and Wes Mathews? :facepalm:

DerekRE_3
02-26-2010, 02:13 PM
Funny how everyone is talking about Curry taking Reke's spot because of his recent play. Yes, Curry has been great but:

Tyreke the last 5 games: 19.8 PPG 8.0 APG 5.0 RPG 53.5% FG
Tyreke the last 10 games: 19.5 PPG 7.4 APG 5.6 RPG 51.4% FG
*Yeah Tyreke definitely can't play the point, I mean he's already 20 years old and most PG's at age 20 (only played the point 1 year in college) don't learn any more about what it takes to be a PG in the NBA.*

The only reason why nobody is bringing that up is because Tyreke has been doing that the entire year, while Curry has been playing great despite a slower start.

uws
02-26-2010, 02:37 PM
reke is putting up better numbers right now and deserves ROY, but I see curry and jennings both being better NBA players in coming years. I still think griffin is going to be a huge bust and will inevitably drag down the prestige of this draft class (along with thabeet)

blastmasta26
02-26-2010, 03:26 PM
Blake Griffin is a lock for ROY. He's so efficient, he hasn't missed a single shot during the season. He hasn't turned the ball over yet during the season either. And, he can defend without fouling, since he hasn't fouled yet this season. Simply amazing.

tredigs
02-26-2010, 04:31 PM
Tyreke is a beast. 20.5 ppg, 5.4 apg, 4.8 rpg.... That is great for any player, nevermind a rookie. He has played great all year, not just as of late. Stats aside, give it the eyeball test. Watch a Kings game and tell me who the leader of that team is. Even before K Martin was traded.

While Curry is playing well and its great to see him get recognition, Evans is the ROY and it should be unanimous

You have GOT to be joking me. Curry was viciously underused the first few weeks, with Monta not trusting him to take shots or run the offense what so ever. But since that point, Steph's been on an absolute tear. This race truly couldn't be any closer. The points numbers are going to end up pretty damn close by the end of the year with Curry scoring at the pace he has been.

I'm going to guess that you haven't seen Curry play in the last few months, or else you would realize that he is the epitome of the "eyeball" test, he is one of the more dynamic, entertaining players to watch in the league -- forget rookies. His passing is amazing, he shoots lights out from any distance, and will embarrass you off the dribble if you get too close [birdman will tell ya this first hand hah]. Not to mention that in 'Reke and Curry's last two head to heads, Curry HANDLED him. I think that Curry is the better player, while 'Reke is the more dominant athlete. If this were football, you're right, he WOULD have the ROY locked unanimously.

I'm still laughing at the "and it should be unanimous" comment. Why do clueless people have to make such definitive statements?

All that said, 'Reke is such a sick talent, I love watching the kid play. I give him and Curry's ROY chances at 50/50, with Curry taking it in the end.

AI4MVP
02-26-2010, 04:34 PM
if i had to pick a player to build my fracnhise around itd be steph curry. hes thenext steve nash. hes passing, vision, and basketball instincts are ridiculous

magichatnumber9
02-26-2010, 04:45 PM
Stephen Curry will win Rookie of the year because he can shoot the basketball. Tyreke plays around the basket and teams have adjusted to his game.

King P
02-26-2010, 04:46 PM
Tyreke should win it. He has been the best and the most consistent rookie.

Niro
02-26-2010, 04:58 PM
curry is great but i dont think he has a chance unless evens gets hurt or his stats go waaaay down which is not likely to happen...if gs would have traded ellis curry would have had a better chance

Chronz
02-26-2010, 05:07 PM
Hollingers take

John Hollinger
(12:55 PM)

Also, one thing we should point out about Jennings as compared to Evans and Curry -- he's the only who's being held accountable on D, asked to get other players involved and manage a game, and generally do the things that PGs on winning teams have to do. Look, Evans is going to win ROY and Curry will likely come in second, and both are tremendous talents ... but right now Jennings is the only one who's actually learning how to play.

Tribe
02-26-2010, 05:14 PM
I would say no...ROY is just that...the whole season (year)...not rookie of a few months

mzee24
02-26-2010, 05:14 PM
Hollingers take

John Hollinger
(12:55 PM)

Also, one thing we should point out about Jennings as compared to Evans and Curry -- he's the only who's being held accountable on D, asked to get other players involved and manage a game, and generally do the things that PGs on winning teams have to do. Look, Evans is going to win ROY and Curry will likely come in second, and both are tremendous talents ... but right now Jennings is the only one who's actually learning how to play.

very true has anyone else also noticed that it is Jennings team which has the better record and will make the playoffs? Reke and Steph both have much more talent on their team yet jennings team has the best record. When Jennings was given freedom he went for 55 and was playin great b-ball, but he had to adjust to scott skiles system, and thats why his numbers have dropped. Down the road Jennings will be the better player. Just my opinion...

mikantsass
02-26-2010, 05:23 PM
You have GOT to be joking me. Curry was viciously underused the first few weeks, with Monta not trusting him to take shots or run the offense what so ever. But since that point, Steph's been on an absolute tear. This race truly couldn't be any closer. The points numbers are going to end up pretty damn close by the end of the year with Curry scoring at the pace he has been.

I'm going to guess that you haven't seen Curry play in the last few months, or else you would realize that he is the epitome of the "eyeball" test, he is one of the more dynamic, entertaining players to watch in the league -- forget rookies. His passing is amazing, he shoots lights out from any distance, and will embarrass you off the dribble if you get too close [birdman will tell ya this first hand hah]. Not to mention that in 'Reke and Curry's last two head to heads, Curry HANDLED him. I think that Curry is the better player, while 'Reke is the more dominant athlete. If this were football, you're right, he WOULD have the ROY locked unanimously.

I'm still laughing at the "and it should be unanimous" comment. Why do clueless people have to make such definitive statements?

All that said, 'Reke is such a sick talent, I love watching the kid play. I give him and Curry's ROY chances at 50/50, with Curry taking it in the end.

Look man I wasnt bashing Curry at all. He is playing great AS OF LATE. and yes i have been watching him play lately, i have NBA league pass. I am not clueless. Yes I do pay some attention to stats, but I rely on the eyeball test more than most. the ROY is rookie of the YEAR, not rookie of the day, week or month. Tyreke has been playing this great since day 1. While Curry has been playing good for like 2 weeks. I dont care if Monta was in the way. You are probably right Curry was underused, but that is an "if" situation...

If Curry wasnt underused he would be the ROY.
You can do that with every situation in the NBA, NFL, MLB

If Kobe didnt get hurt the Lakers would have won 70 games
If Oden didnt go down the Blazers would be the 2 seed...

All of that is hypothetical

TrueFan420
02-26-2010, 05:47 PM
very true has anyone else also noticed that it is Jennings team which has the better record and will make the playoffs? Reke and Steph both have much more talent on their team yet jennings team has the best record. When Jennings was given freedom he went for 55 and was playin great b-ball, but he had to adjust to scott skiles system, and thats why his numbers have dropped. Down the road Jennings will be the better player. Just my opinion...

He also plays in the east and of the 3 of them is the only one that plays with a big man that is actually good in andrew bogut... not to take anything away form him he has played very well. All im saying is that the race for ROY is not a lock and the second half of the season is going to be interesting.

Chronz
02-26-2010, 06:05 PM
The fact that its coming from Hollinger is amazing, hes usually the biggest statmongerer on the face of the planet, but hes right. When it comes to PG's, or distributors in general youve got to pay close attention to their the play of their teammates. I still think Rekes a better player overall regardless, but Jennings struggles of late are going to make him a much better player in the long run. Once a PG learns how to balance when to pass and when to shoot, they become elite. But in defense of Reke, he doesnt really have much of a choice on his squad, they need all of his buckets. If the roles were reversed I dont think Jennings could handle the load as well. Curry is just flash

Chronz
02-26-2010, 06:06 PM
He also plays in the east and of the 3 of them is the only one that plays with a big man that is actually good in andrew bogut... not to take anything away form him he has played very well. All im saying is that the race for ROY is not a lock and the second half of the season is going to be interesting.
How does that discredit him? What would his record be if he were in the West?

tredigs
02-26-2010, 06:12 PM
Look man I wasnt bashing Curry at all. He is playing great AS OF LATE. and yes i have been watching him play lately, i have NBA league pass. I am not clueless. Yes I do pay some attention to stats, but I rely on the eyeball test more than most. the ROY is rookie of the YEAR, not rookie of the day, week or month. Tyreke has been playing this great since day 1. While Curry has been playing good for like 2 weeks. I dont care if Monta was in the way. You are probably right Curry was underused, but that is an "if" situation...

If Curry wasnt underused he would be the ROY.
You can do that with every situation in the NBA, NFL, MLB

If Kobe didnt get hurt the Lakers would have won 70 games
If Oden didnt go down the Blazers would be the 2 seed...

All of that is hypothetical

'Reke HAS been playing well all year, no doubt. But to say this is a two week stretch for Curry is ridiculous.

Past THREE MONTHS:

Curry:

43 games: 36.8min 17.2pts (14 fga/g at 46%) 1.9three/g (40.5%) 4.6reb 5.3ast 2.0stl 0.91FT% 2.9TO's

Tyreke:

39 games: 37.6min 20.7pts (16 fga/g at 47%) 0.4three/g (23.9%) 4.7reb 5.5ast 1.5stl 76.7FT% 2.9TO's

Telling me this should be a unanimous vote? And Curry's only getting better. Add that with him outplaying Tyreke head to head, and any objective person (Media likes to give yearly awards after 3 weeks, but there's still time to sway them) will tell you that it's neck and neck.

JasonJohnHorn
02-27-2010, 04:29 PM

I agree, I'd got with Evans for ROY, I just think its close. Curry wasn't used much at first, and he's got more range, they are both solid play makers, but Evans is a better rebounder and has a higher PPG. I'm just saying its close and that it isn't an easy: Evans has a higher PPG therefore deserves ROY. They are both great players, and I think you are right, Evans will be more of a #1 or #2 option where Curry will likely be a niches player with a solid all-around game.