PDA

View Full Version : Pistons trainer banishes Nike Hyperize sneakers

DenButsu
02-25-2010, 10:57 PM
Pistons trainer banishes Nike Hyperize sneakers

Arnie Kander, the Detroit Pistons' longtime strength and conditioning coach, says he's never seen as many ankle, knee and groin injuries as he has this season. And he's not kidding. From opening night to mid-December, three different Pistons guards Richard Hamilton(notes), Ben Gordon(notes) and Will Bynum(notes) all missed time thanks to buggered ankles. What's that sayin'? Two's a coincedence, three's a trend.

So, like any good NBA trainer who moonlights as a private investigator, Kander donned his deerstalker hat and overcoat, smoked a pipe, and quickly figured out that it was a specific brand of sneakers *COUGH* Nike Hyperizes *COUGH* that were making the Pistons' ankles go lame.

Case closed; shoes banned (http://www.freep.com/article/20100220/SPORTS03/2200355/1051/sports03/Pistons-ankle-injuries-It-must-be-the-shoes).

"I'm not going to name the brand of shoe it was [Ed. note: Woops!], but it has been banned from our locker room and the guys aren't allowed to wear it," Kander said. "These shoes had taken most of the support out of the sides and it was a lighter shoe. Most basketball shoes weigh between 1.4 and 1.7 pounds."

"These shoes were weighing 0.8 pounds, which was way too light as far as side support. Since we've banned the shoe, knock on wood, we haven't had any ankle sprains. Hopefully, the good Lord willing, we won't have any more and we can finish the season healthy and see what these guys can really do.

Kander, who once referred to current basketball shoes as glorified "moccasins," takes his players ankles very serious. In fact, the Pistons actually fine members of the team who don't tape their ankles because it has shown to be so effective in preventing injury. Kander's hardcore his ankles have mustaches (http://i.cdn.turner.com/sivault/multimedia/photo_gallery/0903/pistons.historic.photos/images/arnie-Kander.2.jpg).

Note: I can't for the life of me find a photo of Hamilton wearing the aforementioned Hyperize kicks. Sneakerhead, and Kix in the City CEO, Rich MaZe Lopez says Rip, being a Jordan Brand athlete, rocks only Air Jordan retros or Team Jordans. Can we blame Michael, too, Kander?yahoo (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/blog/ball_dont_lie/post/Pistons-trainer-banishes-Nike-Hyperize-sneakers?urn=nba,224239)

thescore53
02-25-2010, 11:07 PM
we be hyperizin while yall be criticizn

ChiSox219
02-25-2010, 11:09 PM
It's sweet to see all the guys rocking Jordan XII's

ManRam
02-25-2010, 11:10 PM
They do have absolutely terrible support. Pro athletes don't need such light shoes. They'll jump out of the gym anyways. I'm surprised players even want to wear them in the first place.

td0tsfinest
02-25-2010, 11:17 PM
I thought Rip was part of the Jordan Brand

DenButsu
02-25-2010, 11:17 PM

yo don b hatin i jus b posterizn

kblo247
02-25-2010, 11:18 PM
They do have absolutely terrible support. Pro athletes don't need such light shoes. They'll jump out of the gym anyways. I'm surprised players even want to wear them in the first place.

The Kobe shoes are super light and low top, and honestly they are really good to play in

thescore53
02-25-2010, 11:27 PM
yo don b hatin i jus b posterizn

Oooh Weee
It's velvet Hoop
Wrist band full of loot
Right next to ma shoe
Ing. Hand.
What's the Temperature Sam 80 Degrees
Or mega De-freeze
Bring the Pumps too the knees
Don't talk about boring Dunks
Velvet
I'm as young as a child
Now get the hell out ma Garage
Extra Fits in my car
Scoop up, Ice Chief
Like a info rar
Lets bum
To the hoop ya'll
Come on, Come on
To the Hoop ya'll
Uh-Come on

lool

bbcmillionaire
02-25-2010, 11:32 PM
the shoes may suck, but that commercial lol, i dont hoop in them anyway, i might grab some new lebrons

thescore53
02-25-2010, 11:37 PM
i hate those shoes its two months since i last twisted my ankle and it still not
%100.....

Storch
02-25-2010, 11:41 PM
aw wut .. i ball with hyperize, it feels like im running on air :)

Raph12
02-26-2010, 12:33 AM
The hyperdunks are fine, I have 3 pairs (one indoor, one outdoor and one extra), I've never had any problems with them since the day I first wore em.

ldc62
02-26-2010, 04:53 AM
Injuries happen... just ask the Blazers. Rip sports the Jordans anyways. But the shoe doesn't have the best support.

JiffyMix88
02-26-2010, 05:23 AM

LMAO I LOVE UR SIG i wonder if he missed that shot lol

Trouble87
02-26-2010, 06:10 AM
I wonder if Nike will release a statement?

DenButsu
02-26-2010, 06:40 AM
I wonder if Nike will release a statement?

I seriously doubt it. Unless this story gets big enough that they have no choice, I'm sure that they will just hope it fades away and gets forgotten.

MoBASS
02-26-2010, 02:15 PM
Are you sure he means the Nike Hyperize and not the Kobe V? The Hyperize looks like high-top shoes.

GodsSon
02-26-2010, 02:25 PM
I'll tell you which shoes i've been loving lately...the Jordan Retro 1 Alpha's...man, they're comfortable as ****