PDA

View Full Version : Bigger Motivator?

Swashcuff
02-25-2010, 10:33 PM
What do you guys think is the bigger motivator for SEASON NBA players, Money or the chance to Win a Championship.

I am not going to use an example of any one player but lets hypothetically speaking lets say there is a player who has been in the league for 7 years and is about to be a free agent at season's end. What motivates him MORE to go out the day in and day out and bust his *** is it the money or the chance to win a championship (providing he's on a contending team) or maybe show a suitable team who is also in contention why they should consider signing him.

We hear the age old analogy used all the time by athletes all the time. "All I play for is to win a championship". So I am asking you guys what you think. Is it MORE for the Championship or MORE for the Money?

Ragun
02-25-2010, 10:34 PM
money for me :)

ManRam
02-25-2010, 10:36 PM
It depends. Most players try to get two big contracts early on while they can demand one...and as they become more financially content, they then becoming willing to sacrifice for a championship.

I know at this point in my life...I'd rather have a higher paying job than a job I enjoy.

Swashcuff
02-25-2010, 10:38 PM
money for me :)

Gil is that you?

HoopsDrive
02-25-2010, 10:41 PM
it depends. Most players try to get two big contracts early on while they can demand one...and as they become more financially content, they then becoming willing to sacrifice for a championship.

I know at this point in my life...i'd rather have a higher paying job than a job i enjoy.

+1

Ragun
02-25-2010, 10:42 PM
Gil is that you?

no its rashard lewis. :)

BkOriginalOne
02-25-2010, 10:43 PM
Players seem to decide that they want a title somewhere around age 31.

Swashcuff
02-25-2010, 10:44 PM

Oh even better :)

JordansBulls
02-25-2010, 10:46 PM
What do you guys think is the bigger motivator for SEASON NBA players, Money or the chance to Win a Championship.

I am not going to use an example of any one player but lets hypothetically speaking lets say there is a player who has been in the league for 7 years and is about to be a free agent at season's end. What motivates him MORE to go out the day in and day out and bust his *** is it the money or the chance to win a championship (providing he's on a contending team) or maybe show a suitable team who is also in contention why they should consider signing him.

We hear the age old analogy used all the time by athletes all the time. "All I play for is to win a championship". So I am asking you guys what you think. Is it MORE for the Championship or MORE for the Money?

Money quite easily. Championships only matters when you have the money already. If you have neither then money is the bigger motivator.

ManRam
02-25-2010, 10:46 PM

Are you really going to bash Rashard Lewis for taking a max contract, offered from a team that made the Finals last year? Seems like he got the money and the good team. Not the right sarcastic analogy for this thread.

HoopsDrive
02-25-2010, 10:48 PM
Financial stability is one of the biggest issues in life for any person. It's obvious a bball player would go for as much money as he can possibly get until he's financially stable for the foreseeable future. Once they are, then the line of thought will diverge:

1) They will consider sacrificing for a championship, in which case they'll give up money to join contenders.
2) They will still go for the max money they can get.

Sounds reasonable to me. If you can't be secure on financial stability for life, you go for max money.

ManRam
02-25-2010, 10:51 PM
Either way, I don't think we can ever criticize a player for choosing one over the other...

Ragun
02-25-2010, 10:52 PM
Are you really going to bash Rashard Lewis for taking a max contract, offered from a team that made the Finals last year? Seems like he got the money and the good team. Not the right sarcastic analogy for this thread.

i dont bash anyone for taking a max. if someone offered me a max contract id take it. i would bash the management.

but he is definitely one of the most overpaid players and that was my point with my comment.

ManRam
02-25-2010, 10:55 PM
i dont bash anyone for taking a max. if someone offered me a max contract id take it. i would bash the management.

but he is definitely one of the most overpaid players and that was my point with my comment.

He's very overrated...but don't get why he's being mocked in a thread saying whether money or winning are more important, when he is getting both.

Sorry if I sound a bit defensive...oh well.

Ragun
02-25-2010, 11:06 PM
He's very overrated...but don't get why he's being mocked in a thread saying whether money or winning are more important, when he is getting both.

Sorry if I sound a bit defensive...oh well.

i am not blaming him. i would of done the same thing. but it doesnt deny that he was overpaid and that was I mentioned his name.

Paulliwali
02-25-2010, 11:07 PM
I would say championship but deep down is the money until I am 35 and still havn't been into a final, then is all about the championship even if I am only a reserve

ManRam
02-25-2010, 11:11 PM
i am not blaming him. i would of done the same thing. but it doesnt deny that he was overpaid and that was I mentioned his name.

Yeah. I agree. I meant overpaid, not overrated. My bad...brain fart.

Swashcuff
02-25-2010, 11:24 PM
I can't blame a guy for choosing money which is what darn near all players do, that is until they get up there in age and have already made their money and are now hungry for a ring. Its just that All I play for is to win a championship" is the politically correct thing to say.

heathonater
02-25-2010, 11:47 PM
i think depends on what team the player is on. if they are a group of veterans looking for their first title, then i would say they are all more motivated for a title. however, a team that has no chance at a title results in players being more motivated for getting a big contract. it depends on the team and player personality.