PDA

View Full Version : Why I think Brandon Jennings should still get ROY

davids22
02-25-2010, 08:20 PM
After the 55 point game, he was the talk of the NBA and a huge front runner for ROY. I was a little worried that him blowing up so early in the year might get to his head. He seemed like the type of kid from Compton that might get a little too cocky and just try to do it all now. I mean cmon, we've all heard the phone call he had with that rapper (The infamous "**** the Knicks man those ****** skipped out on me" and "Duhon aint getting it done" phone call). This kid has got swagger, we know that. Lowandbehold, Brandon Jennings PPG and shooting % have gradually gone down as the days and months have gone on. His first month he shot a little above 50%, and has gone steadily down since then to be at a season average of 37%.

Now, I know everyone thinks Tyreke Evans should get ROY. I agree he has a nicer stat line with over 20 ppg, 5.4 ast and almost 5 boards. He's a tremendous all around player.

Here's why I think Jennings should still get ROY, PROVIDING THE BUCKS MAKE THE PLAYOFFS. The Bucks are the 7th seed in the East right now an with tiebreakers over Miami AND the Bobcats, they're in good contention to at least get the 8 seed with as high as the 5th seed being possible. Now where were all the experts at the start of the year ranking the Bucks? DEAD LAST in the East. While the Kings sit in their terrible record and position in their conference, the Bucks are in position to make playoff position, and not even the very bottom one. I KNOW THAT THE WEST IS A TOUGHER CONFERENCE. Even if the Kings were in the East though, they still wouldn't be in the playoffs. For this reason, I say Jennings gets ROY. Why? Because it's his presence that has made the Bucks where they are now. Sure, he hasn't done it ALL as his stats show, but he's bringing pressure off Bogut. Bogut is having the best year of his career and is arguably the 2nd best center in the East. And where's Michael Redd? Oh right, gone. The Bucks with Bogut and Michael Redd couldn't even make the playoffs but the Bucks with the up and coming Jennings and Bogut and some nice additions like Stackhouse and Salmons.... man the chemistry is flowing.

Some people will think you shouldn't take a teams performance into account when deciding these awards. I disagree. They do it all the time for the MVP award. Will Durant win MVP this year? No. His team is doin outstanding, but Lebrons, Kobes, and Mellos teams are doing much better. They might not score as much as him, but the judges won't look at that when choosing. Which is why you should always take a teams performance into account. Jennings got his team fired up early, in prime position to be in the playoffs, and they'll still be the same team next year, probably a little better with some off season changes.

Trust me, I hate Jenning's FG% just as much as anyone. But with the amount of shots he puts up a game, if he starts hittin 45-50%, he's going to put up 21 ppg. Not to mention that even though his ppg is going down, his assists have been on the rise since the start of the season. He's getting adjusted and will be an elite PG some day.

Your thoughts?

ChiSox219
02-25-2010, 08:24 PM
Bogut is the reason the Bucks might make the playoffs. Ty Lawson is outplaying Jennings and the Nuggets are a bona fide title contender.

DerekRE_3
02-25-2010, 08:24 PM
Jennings the last 10 games is shooting 29.8% from the field. There are higher batting averages than that. It's not just Brandon Jennings that is leading the Bucks to the playoffs either.

DerekRE_3
02-25-2010, 08:25 PM
Bogut is the reason the Bucks might make the playoffs. Ty Lawson is outplaying Jennings and the Nuggets are a bona fide title contender.

Yep, if you put Ty Lawson on the Bucks in place of Jennings...good god he might be #2 in the race, definitely top 3.

Kakaroach
02-25-2010, 08:26 PM
Andrew Bogut, the amazing UTAH UTE, is the reason the Bucks will make the playoffs like others said.

And I think its a 2 man race: TyFreak Evans and Stephen HotCurry.

davids22
02-25-2010, 08:29 PM
Don't get me wrong I love Bogut and he is the best player on the Bucks, but I don't think it's a coincidence that Bogut is having the year he is the same year Jennings joined the team.

Stay_Swim
02-25-2010, 08:30 PM
Brandon Jennings is still the ****. SO is Andrew Bogut. They're both vital to the Bucks making it to the playoffs.

CowboysKB24
02-26-2010, 02:01 AM
He can't shoot for his life.

sugarrayray
02-26-2010, 02:17 AM
Yep, if you put Ty Lawson on the Bucks in place of Jennings...good god he might be #2 in the race, definitely top 3.

Wow what a stupid, stupid thing to say. I have watched every Bucks game this year. and almost every Nuggets game. Lawson is not a game changer all. You think he would do better on the Bucks? Try again. There would be so much more pressure on him. He gets to nestle in nicely to the Nuggets' dominating offensive game plans, with one of the best scorers in the league with him, and a good point guard setting the pace for him. There is so much pressure on Jennings to be the Bucks' top scorer, which he is.

Lawson isn't even comparible to Jennings right now. And to say that he would be doing better in Jennings' shoes is nothing but foolish nonsense.

Although Tyreke Evans will put up better numbers than Jennings, he will not consistently make other players around him so much better like Jennings does. Bogut is dominating, but the Bucks would be nowhere near where they are now if they didn't have a Rookie of the Year point guard navigating their team.

WOW. Lawson???? Is that some sort of wicked joke?

ChiSox219
02-26-2010, 02:21 AM
Wow what a stupid, stupid thing to say. I have watched every Bucks game this year. and almost every Nuggets game. Lawson is not a game changer all. You think he would do better on the Bucks? Try again. There would be so much more pressure on him. He gets to nestle in nicely to the Nuggets' dominating offensive game plans, with one of the best scorers in the league with him, and a good point guard setting the pace for him. There is so much pressure on Jennings to be the Bucks' top scorer, which he is.

Lawson isn't even comparible to Jennings right now. And to say that he would be doing better in Jennings' shoes is nothing but foolish nonsense.

Although Tyreke Evans will put up better numbers than Jennings, he will not consistently make other players around him so much better like Jennings does. Bogut is dominating, but the Bucks would be nowhere near where they are now if they didn't have a Rookie of the Year point guard navigating their team.

It seems like you underrate Lawson. He is definitely a game changer and the Nuggets players went to Coach Karl and told he had to play the kid. He's a one man fast break and his 3pt shot has been lethal thus far.

DerekRE_3
02-26-2010, 02:27 AM
Not to mention he shoots about 14% better from the field than Jennings does.

TheKing23
02-26-2010, 02:28 AM
In my opinion i'm starting to lean towards Steph Curry over both Tyreke and Jennings.

He's averaged 21.1 ppg, 4.8 rpg, 6.3 apg and 1.8 spg over the last 26 games. He's shooting 49.3% from the field and 41.4% from deep.

If it wasn't for the Warriors poor record he'd be really pushing Tyreke for the award.

Sadds The Gr8
After the 55 point game, he was the talk of the NBA and a huge front runner for ROY. I was a little worried that him blowing up so early in the year might get to his head. He seemed like the type of kid from Compton that might get a little too cocky and just try to do it all now. I mean cmon, we've all heard the phone call he had with that rapper (The infamous "**** the Knicks man those ****** skipped out on me" and "Duhon aint getting it done" phone call). This kid has got swagger, we know that. Lowandbehold, Brandon Jennings PPG and shooting % have gradually gone down as the days and months have gone on. His first month he shot a little above 50%, and has gone steadily down since then to be at a season average of 37%.

Now, I know everyone thinks Tyreke Evans should get ROY. I agree he has a nicer stat line with over 20 ppg, 5.4 ast and almost 5 boards. He's a tremendous all around player.

Here's why I think Jennings should still get ROY, PROVIDING THE BUCKS MAKE THE PLAYOFFS. The Bucks are the 7th seed in the East right now an with tiebreakers over Miami AND the Bobcats, they're in good contention to at least get the 8 seed with as high as the 5th seed being possible. Now where were all the experts at the start of the year ranking the Bucks? DEAD LAST in the East. While the Kings sit in their terrible record and position in their conference, the Bucks are in position to make playoff position, and not even the very bottom one. I KNOW THAT THE WEST IS A TOUGHER CONFERENCE. Even if the Kings were in the East though, they still wouldn't be in the playoffs. For this reason, I say Jennings gets ROY. Why? Because it's his presence that has made the Bucks where they are now. Sure, he hasn't done it ALL as his stats show, but he's bringing pressure off Bogut. Bogut is having the best year of his career and is arguably the 2nd best center in the East. And where's Michael Redd? Oh right, gone. The Bucks with Bogut and Michael Redd couldn't even make the playoffs but the Bucks with the up and coming Jennings and Bogut and some nice additions like Stackhouse and Salmons.... man the chemistry is flowing.

Some people will think you shouldn't take a teams performance into account when deciding these awards. I disagree. They do it all the time for the MVP award. Will Durant win MVP this year? No. His team is doin outstanding, but Lebrons, Kobes, and Mellos teams are doing much better. They might not score as much as him, but the judges won't look at that when choosing. Which is why you should always take a teams performance into account. Jennings got his team fired up early, in prime position to be in the playoffs, and they'll still be the same team next year, probably a little better with some off season changes.

Trust me, I hate Jenning's FG% just as much as anyone. But with the amount of shots he puts up a game, if he starts hittin 45-50%, he's going to put up 21 ppg. Not to mention that even though his ppg is going down, his assists have been on the rise since the start of the season. He's getting adjusted and will be an elite PG some day.

Your thoughts?

I hate when people use that logic it...it makes no sense because if they were in the east, they would have an easier schedule, and the Kings' record would be much different. Also I think Bogut is the #1 option on the team, not Jennings, while Evans is CLEARLY the star player and #1 option on his team. And plus, Jennings has been playing horrible lately and his fg% is brutal...that 55 point game is making his PPG looking really decent right now...

sugarrayray
He can't shoot for his life.

Really? Can't shoot to save his life? He shoots a low percentage because until the Bucks got Salmons, Jennings had to be the leading scorer and shoot a lot of low percentage shots. Can't shoot to save his life? Thats interesting. What's also interesting is how he shoots 38% from downtown and leads ALL rookies in 3 pointers made. Shutdown.

What people don't realize is that all of Tyreke Evans' and all of Stephon Curry's shots don't matter. Their season is over so there is no pressure on them so it's easier for them to make shots.

The Bucks are making the playoffs with Jennings leading the way, so every one of his shots is so important, and that probably affects his 20 year old mind.

I'd like to see how well Evans and Curry do on a team that actually counts.

sugarrayray
02-26-2010, 02:31 AM
I would love to see how Ty Lawson would react to having to be a leading scorer on a team. He is nowhere near Jennings and he never will be.

sugarrayray
02-26-2010, 02:32 AM
I hate when people use that logic it...it makes no sense because if they were in the east, they would have an easier schedule, and the Kings' record would be much different. Also I think Bogut is the #1 option on the team, not Jennings, while Evans is CLEARLY the star player and #1 option on his team. And plus, Jennings has been playing horrible lately and his fg% is brutal...that 55 point game is making his PPG looking really decent right now...

The Kings would be downright pitiful no matter what conference they are in. Your the one using bad logic.

TheKing23
02-26-2010, 02:33 AM
Really? Can't shoot to save his life? He shoots a low percentage because until the Bucks got Salmons, Jennings had to be the leading scorer and shoot a lot of low percentage shots. Can't shoot to save his life? Thats interesting. What's also interesting is how he shoots 38% from downtown and leads ALL rookies in 3 pointers made. Shutdown.

What people don't realize is that all of Tyreke Evans' and all of Stephon Curry's shots don't matter. Their season is over so there is no pressure on them so it's easier for them to make shots.

The Bucks are making the playoffs with Jennings leading the way, so every one of his shots is so important, and that probably affects his 20 year old mind.

Not to nitpick or anything but Jennings has ATTEMPTED the most threes at 253, he's actually tied with Steph for made threes at 96.

Steph shoots it at a a better clip as well... 40.7% compared to Jennings at 37.9%

9ersownnfl
02-26-2010, 02:35 AM

How can you make a case that a guy shooting 36% from the floor should get rookie of the year over tyreke evans when he can very possibly average 20, 5, 5, which only 3 rookies in the history of the nba have ever done? Stephen curry is even miles ahead of jennings in the ROY, the only reason his team is competing is because they play in the east and they have andrew bogut

AI4MVP
02-26-2010, 02:36 AM
even tho im one of brandon jennings' biggest fan and i looove the kids swag, stephen curry is on his way to a hall of fame career. if we watch him play, you see that hes the next steve nash

DerekRE_3
02-26-2010, 02:38 AM

Oh trust me, I'd LOVE to see Tyreke Evans be on a team where the other team's defense doesn't have to focus all of their preparation and effort towards him. It would be awesome for Tyreke. Not only that, he'd have teammates that can actually finish plays for him. He'd be averaging at least 7 assists a game if his teammates could actually make shots. Even though every team knows all they have to do to stop the Kings is stop Tyreke Evans, he's still averaging 20 points a game on 47% FG.

Pretty much every time Tyreke has had to come up big, he's come through. His game winner against the Nuggets (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rD1IX13EiWY), his game clinching steal against Gilbert Arenas, his countless clutch free throws, his game winner against the Bucks (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N29fcM4qdiM), when he sparked the Kings 35 point comeback against the Bulls, and his absolutely ridiculous performance against the Spurs where he scored 18 points in the 4th quarter and 15 points in the last 5 minutes. We were down 13 points with under 2 minutes left and he got us within 2.

DamnGoat
02-26-2010, 02:39 AM
I think I'd still go with Evans and I'm not even sure Jennings should be next in line, I'd probably take Curry over him at this point.

Sadds The Gr8
02-26-2010, 02:41 AM
The Kings would be downright pitiful no matter what conference they are in. Your the one using bad logic.

and how the hell would you know? Looking at both rosters since the beginning of the season, the Bucks roster doesn't look better than the Kings roster. Clearly the Bucks have a MUCH easier sched because they face teams like NJ 3-4 times. And that point about Evans' season being over is bullcrap because he averaged 18 ppg in Nov, 22 ppg in Dec, 20 ppg in Jan, and 19 ppg in Feb, showing his consistency throughout the year.

jimbobjarree
02-26-2010, 02:44 AM
Tyreke all the way

abe_froman
02-26-2010, 02:45 AM
Jennings the last 10 games is shooting 29.8% from the field. There are higher batting averages than that. It's not just Brandon Jennings that is leading the Bucks to the playoffs either.

this.

nitric
02-26-2010, 02:59 AM
Jennings isn't even a Top 5 rookie let alone the ROY

1-800-STFU
02-26-2010, 03:03 AM
Yeah, forget Andrew Bogut is possibly the best well-rounded center in the entire NBA this year. It's all Jennings.

DerekRE_3
02-26-2010, 03:10 AM
Yeah, forget Andrew Bogut is possibly the best well-rounded center in the entire NBA this year. It's all Jennings.

Weren't you aware that your "best" player shooting 37% (29% the past 10 games) is enough to make the playoffs? It's all Jennings. Plus I've heard that shooting 37% in "games that count" is better than shooting 47% in games that apparently don't matter.

KH12
02-26-2010, 03:13 AM
Jennings scored 55 points once though guys, that means the most.

davids22
02-26-2010, 06:54 PM
Jennings scored 55 points once though guys, that means the most.

So that means he can do it and will probably do it again, we just don't know when. BTW the high PPG mark on the season belongs to Jennings with that 55 point game...

And I never said Jennings was the best player the Bucks have. I said Bogut was.

redsox0717
02-26-2010, 07:01 PM
I hope this is a joke topic, because he has by far the lowest FG% in the league. He isn't terrible, but after the 55 point game he got way overhyped. He needs to improve A LOT, and his name shouldn't even be in the discussion for rookie of the year.

Gibby23
02-26-2010, 07:04 PM
Ban.

Vinny642
02-26-2010, 07:46 PM
I can name 4 other PGs* better than Jennings....
TyFreak*, Stephen Curry*, Darren Collison, and Ty Lawson.

Not real PGs

Ni55anpat
02-26-2010, 07:53 PM
Your 2010 ROY = Stephen Curry

Curry > Jennings

Vinny642
02-26-2010, 08:01 PM
If Evans doesnt start winning games I think Curry may actually take it... he has been ballin.

Shammyguy3
02-26-2010, 08:16 PM
I remember back in November directly after the 55 point game that some posters on here made statements along the lines of:

"Jennings is already better than Rose." Sorry i just had to state that this kid's bandwagon was jumped on wayyyyyyy to early by many here.

Without that 55 point game, he's averaging <16 points a game on a dreadful FG%.

ROY:

1. Evans
2. Curry

everybody else is a non-option at this point.

AIMelo=KillaDUO
02-26-2010, 08:20 PM

You obviously haven't watched as many Nuggets games as you claim. So after that stupid comment that I highlight I stopped reading your post due to ignorance.

billy17
02-26-2010, 08:32 PM
ROY: Evans
Runner up: Curry

So the bucks are doing better than the Kings and Warriors.. That's cause the bucks are a better team (and some cause of conf.), not just cause they have Jennings. ROY rewards the top rookie, its not a combination of top rookie/top team. So far, in his rookie season, Tyreke Evans has been a better NBA player than any other rookie in the league. He's shown he can take over games with his skill and his physicality, and he's done it night after night all year. Plus no one on the Kings can finish, its amazing he can manage some assists.

But if Steph Curry continues to do what he's been doing (did last night), it'll be a tight race. He's shown he can lead a team, ESPECIALLY in Don Nelsons offense

Sadds The Gr8
02-26-2010, 08:36 PM
So that means he can do it and will probably do it again, we just don't know when. BTW the high PPG mark on the season belongs to Jennings with that 55 point game...

So you wanna give him ROY because of one game? This is a season award not a game award...That 55 pt game is the only case people have for Jennings...

J_M_B
02-26-2010, 08:38 PM
Tyreke Evans already got this award wrapped up..

Unless Curry continues to ball, then it's going to be tough choice between those two.

arkanian215
02-26-2010, 08:51 PM
like i said before, if you're a pg you gotta show that you can be responsible with the ball. pretty much the only reason i didn't buy into the hype back at the start.

td0tsfinest
02-26-2010, 08:56 PM
why I think Brandon Jennings shouldn't get ROY?

Because Tyreke Evans has been better.

tMoNEy24
02-26-2010, 09:01 PM

:facepalm: No. Tyreke > Jennings

tMoNEy24
02-26-2010, 09:03 PM
Lol, I guess Tyreke and Currys shots dont matter AND there shots are easier to make LOL. That was so stupid

CLMCII
02-26-2010, 09:04 PM
Yeppers!

Brew Crew
02-26-2010, 09:08 PM
Brandon Jennings doesn't even think he should win ROY.

He only cares about winning. That's pretty much all he's said this entire season.

Evans and Curry have had the best seasons. Jennings should still be in the talk regardless of how bad he's been shooting (He shouldn't and won't win it though) because obviously there is more then FG% to determine if you are playing well or not. Jennings has made Bogut way better then many of you might think, Bogut praises Jennings game.

The_Mac22
02-26-2010, 09:10 PM
Tyreke Evans > Stephen Curry > Brandon Jennings

Public Enemy #1
02-26-2010, 09:27 PM
Jennings is nowhere near as good as Evans or Curry. He shoots terrible and isn't as good of a passer as Curry or Evans.

dodie53
02-26-2010, 10:49 PM
imo.
Jennings will win it.

Vinny642
02-26-2010, 10:52 PM
imo.
Jennings will win it.

lol what a joke

GOON MUSIC
02-26-2010, 10:56 PM
playing in the east is why the bucks might end up in the playoffs

Brew Crew
02-26-2010, 11:38 PM
Jennings is nowhere near as good as Evans or Curry. He shoots terrible and isn't as good of a passer as Curry or Evans.

That's a joke right?

sf-fanatic
02-27-2010, 12:38 AM

i think currys triple double with 30 something points is more impressive

and that is stupid reasoning about "he can do it again and will probably will probably do it again..."

he may also shoot 30 percent for the rest of his career

fadedmario
02-27-2010, 12:42 AM
Tyreke Evans : 20 5 5 Only like two other players have ever done that in their rookie season. Brandon will finish 3rd behind Stephen Curry with Tyreke Evans winning the ROY.

MrFastBreak
02-27-2010, 12:47 AM

Are you sure youve watched almost every Nuggets game? Or are you just saying that so no one wont make the argument that you havent seen Ty play?

To me, Ty Laws #'s have been more impressive. Your seeming to forget Jennings is getting starter minutes and Lawson's coming off the bench. Jennings' per 36 minutes stats are barely better than Ty's. Jennings: 17.7 PTS, 6.5 AST, 3.8 RBS. Lawson: 15.1 PTS, 5.5 AST, 3.5 RBS. And note that hes taking an awful lot of shots to get those points.

I know that Lawson's USG% is lower than Jennings, but hes scoring more efficiently. He has an Offensive Rating of 112.2 while Jennings' is roughly 100.8. His TS% is grand (60.3) compared to Jennings (46.9). Ty has more possessions ending in assists than BJ. His Ast% is 35.1 and Jennings' is 27.7.

To say hes not comparable to Jennings is nonsense and it makes it worse if your not even gonna make an attempt to back it up. Jennings' not a game changer himself, the only real game changing contribution hes made was when he scored those 55 PTS on the Warriors. But when I come to think of it, that wasnt really game changing either considering they barely won that game.

I wouldnt even say Jennings is the best point guard on the Bucks. Luke Ridnour's producing more off the bench than Jennings is starting.