PDA

View Full Version : Hasheem Thabeet Headed To NBDL; Highest Draft Pick Ever Sent To NBDL

Fresno
02-25-2010, 06:11 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=4946483&campaign=rss&source=NBAHeadlines

:facepalm:

:facepalm: x2 for the Grizzlies taking Thabeet at #2

:facepalm: x3 for the Grizzlies taking Thabeet over Evans, Harden, Jennings, Curry, etc who could've added the 6th Man/PG they were/and still are in need of.

JayW_1023
02-25-2010, 06:12 PM
Stiff. Hamed Haddadi gets more minutes. Go figurine.

Raph12
02-25-2010, 06:13 PM
Poor guy, he just isn't NBA ready.

Vinny642
02-25-2010, 06:14 PM
I knioew Hasheem wasnt going to be good.

Trouble87
they have too many big men, I don't think this move has anything to do with Thabeet's talent

Mauersota
Just imagine if he would of came out the year before. But there is still hope it isn't like his career is over already.

abe_froman
02-25-2010, 06:15 PM
trade him to a place where he might get playing time,still believe he could be a very good defensive center

Raps18-19 Champ
02-25-2010, 06:17 PM
they have too many big men, I don't think this move has anything to do with Thabeet's talent

He wasn't even picked based on his talent. Only of his height.

Draco
02-25-2010, 06:22 PM
Poor guy, he just isn't NBA ready.

He's 23 with 3 years of college under his belt.. he just isn't NBA good.

akay47
02-25-2010, 06:23 PM
Man, this kid has bust written all over him.. Poor guy, is he of Arab descent by any chance?

29$JerZ
02-25-2010, 06:24 PM
I thought he'd at least be a good weak side defensive Center
Hope he pulls through

Strumpy
02-25-2010, 06:27 PM
Ouch. That's bad.:facepalm:

JWO35
02-25-2010, 06:28 PM
Did anyone really expect Hasheem to be good?

abe_froman
02-25-2010, 06:28 PM
Man, this kid has bust written all over him.. Poor guy, is he of Arab descent by any chance?

what does that have to do with anything

and his per 36 is near double double with 4 bpg,his ts over 60%....yes, a very limited sample size and would undoubtedly go down but he's a rook and there is something there

the pt has to do with memphis screwing up by drafting him when they had no need for him and a logjam at his position...and not even trying to trade him when they could.so this move to me speaks louder of memphis fo being dumb then him not being good

0nekhmer
02-25-2010, 06:29 PM
How do the Grizzlies keep getting these top picks?

Fresno
02-25-2010, 06:29 PM
He's 23 with 3 years of college under his belt.. he just isn't NBA good.

Exactly. Hes not NBA good, hes just NBA big.

If they really want him to do something, they should just leave him in the NBDL for the next 2 seasons so he can get game action, hire a big man to coach him 1 on 1 a la Andrew Bynum, and get him in a strength program.

Fresno
02-25-2010, 06:32 PM
what does that have to do with anything

and his per 36 is near double double with 4 bpg,his ts over 60%....yes, a very limited sample size and would undoubtedly go down but he's a rook and there is something there

the pt has to do with memphis screwing up by drafting him when they had no need for him and a logjam at his position...and not even trying to trade him when they could.so this move to me speaks louder of memphis fo being dumb then him not being good

His per 36 also has him averaging 6.8 FPG, so that screws up the statistic considering he would be ineligible to accumulate those stats.

abe_froman
02-25-2010, 06:35 PM
His per 36 also has him averaging 6.8 FPG, so that screws up the statistic considering he would be ineligible to accumulate those stats.

this why they should have worked on him or at least traded him to place where he could be a backup,get pt in blowouts and bring him along slowly

but having marc there,they should have never kept him in the first place.but maybe now he work on his fouls and gain trade value for the summer

Fresno
02-25-2010, 06:40 PM
this why they should have worked on him or at least traded him to place where he could be a backup,get pt in blowouts and bring him along slowly

but having marc there,they should have never kept him in the first place.but maybe now he work on his fouls and gain trade value for the summer

Sending him to the NBDL will help work with him, he will still be on a team and have to earn his minutes but it gives him time to play.

I dont know what Memphis sees with Thabeet that made them pick him. They probably didnt think Marc would have as good of a season as hes having.

Denver-boy
02-25-2010, 06:40 PM
nobody good on the Grizzles, horrible coaches over there!!! Bring him to a Contender like the nugz for exsample and you'll have a Great center! I know Thabeet is good, aint no bust! shoot i doubt he goes there for long, i know plenty of teams that love to sign him up, grizzlies just suck i dont blame him at all!

Denver-boy
02-25-2010, 06:43 PM
trade him to a place where he might get playing time,still believe he could be a very good defensive center

X2 i agree

Burkey3472
02-25-2010, 06:43 PM
I don't think you can actually put the bust label on him already but he has a ton of work to do to not be one.

GodsSon
02-25-2010, 06:45 PM

Well, he's from Tanzania which is not a part of the Arab League...so unless you think all Arab's are Muslim (which they aren't, but Thabeet is), than I'd say no, he's not Arab lol

ESaady
02-25-2010, 06:47 PM
Well, he's from Tanzania which is not a part of the Arab League...so unless you think all Arab's are Muslim (which they aren't, but Thabeet is), than I'd say no, he's not Arab lol

Yep not Arab.

Btw, this makes the Warriors seem like less of dbags.
They sent Patrick O'Bryant down to the D League and at that time he was the highest draft pick ever sent down at 9. Alllsoo, the Grizzlies offered Mayo and Thabeet for Monta, obviously the Grizzlies ****ed up this pick and really don't want him since they offered two former lottery picks for Monta.

BkOriginalOne
02-25-2010, 06:49 PM
How good would they have been if they took Evans?

Evans
Mayo
Gay
Randolph
Gasol

ChiSox219
02-25-2010, 06:49 PM
I'm not one to call a rookie a bust, it's silly. He needs playing time to develop and he isn't going to get that on a Memphis team that is contending with Gasol and Randolph playing well.

And everyone is pointing out they could've hand Tyreke or Jennings or others... like they need another ball dominant scorer on that team.

Quikdraw
02-25-2010, 07:04 PM
Hopefully he can come back from this. I always thought he could be a solid defensive big man in the NBA.

Kakaroach
02-25-2010, 07:04 PM
Ouch that really must suck for both Thabeet and the Grizzlies.

Still, doesn't mean he is a bust yet.

SA5195
02-25-2010, 07:16 PM
That sucks.

The guy barely gets minutes too, cause of too many bigs in MEM.

Doesn't mean he's a bust or anything, yet.

believeinNYK
02-25-2010, 08:18 PM
no i think thabeet will become a very good defensive center and alot of teams are looking for one of those so thabeet could have some value

Tribe
02-25-2010, 08:25 PM
scrub

jetsfan28
02-25-2010, 08:27 PM
It was the obvious decision to make. Not just because of him, but because he's blocked by Gasol playing 36 minutes and Z-Bo playing some center when they play smaller, he'll get more minutes and develop his game more there.

RaptorizedKevin
02-25-2010, 08:39 PM
wow that really sucks. poor guy. he worked his life day by day to make the nba, and now his dream is shattered. its just so bad for things like this to happend. i dont get why the grizzles drafted him if thye dont even give him alot of Playing time. plus, they were in need of a point guard, and they couldnt draft curry, flynn or jennings? that justs stupidity by their gm. its not like this guy was gonna be the next dwight howard. so why take the risk? :facepalm: to the grizzles gm =[

JNA17
02-25-2010, 08:40 PM
poor hasheem :(

drobe86
02-25-2010, 08:43 PM
It's a shame. He was good at Georgetown, now he's just a guy lol...

td0tsfinest
02-25-2010, 08:46 PM
Hey nothings wrong with this. The grizzlies really don't need him right now. Let him go down there and prove he can play ball.

When Patrick O'Bryant was sent to the D-League (btw, he was the first Lottery pick sent there), I remembered what Don Nelson said

"I told him if he goes down to the D-League and isn't a dominant player, there should be red flags all over the place, and he should be the first to notice

The same could be said about Thabeet.

Sadds The Gr8
02-25-2010, 08:57 PM
wow...#2 pick sent to the Dleague...that is the definition of BUST

GoatMilk
02-25-2010, 08:58 PM
D-League, not NBDL

NBA changed it a few years ago

ChicagoBulls23
02-25-2010, 08:59 PM
i think he'll make it back and be a good defensive center, he's made it to far to go back to the lifestyle he lived

J_M_B
02-25-2010, 09:02 PM
Not shocking at all, he just isn't NBA good.

I knew he had bust written all over him. Might be some hope for him still, though.

Hellcrooner
02-25-2010, 09:05 PM
dont shoot memphis yet.

i guess they are just try to give him minute to develop for when he is going to be needed.

that is for the 2011-2012 lEAGUE.

memphis owner is cheap and its not wanting to pay much money

when hey drafted him they just thought of money

they now Gay will command a max to be retained he knows marc gasol being as goo as he is and wiht the lack of good classic centers is oging to get a monster offer add randoph that is gogin to want a good payday too and Mayo.

they will probably are hping for him to develop to enter for Zach or Marc once one of the two flies away since they wont want to waste the money needed to retain both.

Corey
02-25-2010, 09:05 PM
I'd take him on the Celtics :shrug:

akay47
02-25-2010, 09:09 PM
I never thought he was the full package when he was at UConn anyways, definitely not worth a 2nd overall pick.

Swashcuff
02-25-2010, 09:11 PM
This guy IMO opinion was gonna go 1 of 2 ways. Either he was gonna be a Mutumbo like player or a total bust. That said I am not gonna say he is a waste. I still think he is capable of being a major force on D.

Draco
02-25-2010, 09:13 PM
I never thought he was the full package when he was at UConn anyways, definitely not worth a 2nd overall pick.

IIRC, didn't he gauge his draft stock every year since his freshmen year and decided (or someone convinced him) that he was just too raw to be drafted high..

Was he so good in his junior year that he was able to convince Memphis to draft him at 2? Or did Memphis draft him purely on potential?

ESaady
02-25-2010, 09:18 PM
It's a shame. He was alright at UCONN, now he's just a guy lol...

Fixed.

Bishnoff
02-25-2010, 09:25 PM
Ha ha! They so should have picked Reke or Flynn and dumped Conley.

LA_cabals
02-25-2010, 10:02 PM
Nothing surprising...

It was known (on draft day) that he was a very RAW talent and would take a few years to develop (as most BIGs usually do.) The right decision by the Grizzlies, doesn't qualify him as a bust.

Kdirt
02-25-2010, 10:16 PM
Maybe the Warriors werent so dumb after all. Thabeet would be rotting on their bench until his deal expired just like any other rookie not named Steph Curry under Don Nelson.

#1jetsfan
02-25-2010, 10:28 PM
As a UConn fan I watched Thabeet every game and he was insane defensively but on offense:facepalm:... He almost never scored on his own, most of his points came off passes from his guards on Alley-oops or them setting him up for easy dunks. Whenever he went up against NBA ready centers he got absolutely owned, Blair and Greg Monroe. It was clear that he wasn't NBA ready. I think this is a good move for the Grizzlies though because the thing that Thabeet needs most is experience and he will get that when he's in the D-League.

bosh_dwill
02-25-2010, 10:28 PM

hes tanzanian

Bosoxfan11
02-25-2010, 10:39 PM
It's a shame. He was good at Georgetown, now he's just a guy lol...

Uconn?

Phat Pat 94
02-25-2010, 10:44 PM
wow, poor guy. i figured he'd be a bust but i feel bad for him nonetheless.

Westbrook36
02-25-2010, 10:49 PM
I thought he would be awesome if he filled out that large body. His main problem is that he simply gets pushed around in the post because he doesn't have the NBA body.

ldc62
02-25-2010, 11:14 PM
He was suppose to be a great defender. But the lack of minutes hasnt helped him either.

mzgrizz
02-26-2010, 01:14 AM
Well as a die hard Grizz fan, I am very glad they did this. He needs the minutes; he needs to bulk up; he needs to develop offensive presence and grow a pair. If he's ever going to make it in the NBA , he needs to stay there awhile.
Yes it was stupid IMO to draft him over any number of players. But the FO did, and now they have to take their lumps for the loss of that pick. They'll get over it and we may have something out of it later.

sixer04fan
02-26-2010, 01:24 AM
Has the physical tools... No one realized that he just sucks at basketball.

ldc62
02-26-2010, 04:57 AM
He has this off season to work on his game. I give 2 years before I call a player a bust. Oden's 2 years have expired.

NBA-GMaster
02-26-2010, 05:11 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=4946483&campaign=rss&source=NBAHeadlines

:facepalm:

:facepalm: x2 for the Grizzlies taking Thabeet at #2

:facepalm: x3 for the Grizzlies taking Thabeet over Evans, Harden, Jennings, Curry, etc who could've added the 6th Man/PG they were/and still are in need of.

:facepalm: x100 for the Warriors rejecting Ellis-Mayo and Thabeet trade..

alencp3
02-26-2010, 08:31 AM
How good would they have been if they took Evans?

Evans
Mayo
Gay
Randolph
Gasol

They could have been playoff contender!:speechless:

Carey
02-26-2010, 09:18 AM
Everyone knew he was a project so why is this suprising. If he eventually gives you double digit rebounds, protects the paint and can finish strong on put backs, alleys, etc. then he's worth the pick.

Hellcrooner
02-26-2010, 11:17 AM
Everyone knew he was a project so why is this suprising. If he eventually gives you double digit rebounds, protects the paint and can finish strong on put backs, alleys, etc. then he's worth the pick.
not when you have already a center that can defen put up double digits in scoring and rebounding and your Pg is not doing so good and you have Tyreke, Flynn, Rubio, Lawson, Curry, Jennings in the class

Hellcrooner
02-26-2010, 11:21 AM
They could have been playoff contender!:speechless:

not really adding another player that needs the ball and needs the SHOTS and thinks shoot first could very probably have killled the chemistry

Im surprised in fact that Mayo and Gasol have not started some locker room trouble about the number of shots Gay and Randolph get while being less efective than them two.

Blackjack24
02-26-2010, 12:15 PM
Ehh... this is honestly for the best for Thabeet. He might actually get enough PT and coaching down there to be able to return and contribute. As to whether Memphis should have picked someone else-- a lot of teams should have picked someone else. At the time, it was known to be a gamble, and might still pay off.

redsox0717
02-26-2010, 12:22 PM
I think more teams in the future will draft for talent instead of just pure size. We saw it with Portland taking Oden over Durant, Thabeet over Evans...teams just need to stop looking at size, and start looking more at how they play the game. I knew from watching Thabeet at UCONN that he was a mistake to draft to early, because he is a project that needs a lot of work still.

Carey
02-26-2010, 12:54 PM
not when you have already a center that can defen put up double digits in scoring and rebounding and your Pg is not doing so good and you have Tyreke, Flynn, Rubio, Lawson, Curry, Jennings in the class

Valid points but they were a awful defensive team before this season, and though they are better this year they are still not a good defensive team. Could he be a bust? yes, but i think the thinking was improve defensively, i cant knock them for that. Conley is a good point guard and a better pure point then any of the guys you named except Lawson. This team has enough scorers.

mike_noodles
02-26-2010, 05:54 PM
In all honesty I think it's about time that NBA teams started doing that, use NBDL to help develop these players, it's better then having them sit on the bench night after night. There are lots of players who could benefit from it.

DenButsu
02-26-2010, 09:25 PM
The D-League is designed for young players to develop
By Henry Abbott

There has been a lot of laughing at Hasheem Thabeet for being sent to the D-League, and I understand why, in theory. It's nobody's Plan A.

But for crying out loud, is it really so shameful? He's a young, raw, big man. The D-League exists to hone the skills of young, raw players. Why wouldn't he go to the D-League?

Steve Weinman of D-League Digest writes:

The Grizzlies picked Thabeet when they did knowing full well that he would not be an immediate home run. He entered the league with significant questions about his strength, lateral quickness, offensive post game and ability to stay out of foul trouble. At 7-foot-3, he had great size and had already shown at UConn how his length and shot-blocking instincts could make him an impact presence at the defensive end. But none of that made it any less clear that his game left plenty of room for nuance.

It should not come as a shock that Thabeet hasnít set the world on fire in his first NBA season, and his getting sent to the D is not some sort of dishonorable discharge. The D-League offers exactly what Thabeet and many young NBA players laboring at the end of their teamsí rotations could use: a chance to get consistent run and fine-tune his game.

One needs to look no further than Bobcats center Alexis Ajinca to see a viable parallel for Thabeet: Another wiry man in the middle, Ajinca went to Maine earlier this season with a reputation for soft play on the interior. Over the course of half a season, he went from routinely settling for 18-footers to posting up with confidence, drop-stepping for dunks and adding a hook shot. Unfortunately, Ajincaís story isnít complete as he has been sidelined with an injury since late January and hasnít returned to Charlotte yet. But while I canít guarantee success when he returns to the next level, watching his progression through two months in the D-League this season left no question that Ajinca is a much better player than he was in November. Thabeet comes in with more raw ability, a higher ceiling and greater expectations, and I see no reason consistent minutes and daily work with the coaching staff canít help augment his all-around game the way those benefits helped Ajinca.

Not to mention, it's not like only NBA flops make it to the D-League. The list of D-League alumni includes plenty of valued NBA players, like Aaron Brooks, Shannon Brown, Jordan Farmar, Rafer Alston, Martell Webster, Chris Andersen, Matt Barnes, Louis Williams and Ersan Ilyasova. It's hardly shameful for Thabeet to join that group.espn (http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/post/_/id/13804/the-d-league-is-designed-for-young-players-to-develop)

mzgrizz
02-27-2010, 12:29 AM
Thanks, Den for a concise, insightful comment on what is best for this young raw talented kid.

29$JerZ
02-27-2010, 12:32 AM
You people act like the D-League is a sin
It's not used as well as it should be but it will definitely help him out.

Corey
02-27-2010, 12:40 AM
You people act like the D-League is a sin
It's not used as well as it should be but it will definitely help him out.

Exactly. He'll get a ton of minutes against solid competition, while getting a better feel for the NBA game...rather than just riding the pine.

I agree with the sentiment that he was drafted way too high, and Memphis probably should have gone in a different direction, but everyone here knew that this kid wasn't going to be a solid player his first year.

Memphis drafted him knowing (or they should have known) that Thabeet needs a lot of time to mature and practice. He still has all the tools necessary to be a great defensive center.

dirk206
02-27-2010, 01:29 AM
One thing I think everyone is missing is the Memphis Grizzlies made the decision of drafting Hasheem Thabeet based on how the 08-09 season played out and what there weaknesses were as a team leading up to the NBA Draft which was June 25th. Up until this point they had not acquired Zach Randolph, who they picked up on July 2nd, so their wasn't much of a logjam at the frontline positions, only bigs that were going to be retained to the following year were Hammed Haddadi, Marc Gasol and Darrell Arthur. Chris Mihm, Darko Milicic, Hakim Warrick, and Adonal Foyle were all free agents. Keeping that in mind, they also didn't expect Marc Gasol to lose all that weight and gain some considerable weight to his frame, we see the impact it's had on his game. His rookie stats of 11.9 PPG and 7.4 rebounds I doubt would have stopped any GM's from picking Thabeet because at the time Gasol didn't resemble the all star level big we see today so you can't blame them for drafting him, plus their defense was horrendous. Plus before the draft, they were pretty much set at the SG, SF, and PG positions, at the time they didn't know they'd be picking up Randolph but we can see now they have the PF position filled at least for 1 more year. So it only made sense for them to pick up another frontline guy, I think they thought they could move Gasol to the PF position.

dodie53
02-27-2010, 01:39 AM
Did anyone really expect Hasheem to be good?

i know i didn't

td0tsfinest
03-04-2010, 11:56 AM
He had a decent line for his debut : 18 pts 13 reb, 4 blocks

magichatnumber9
03-04-2010, 12:04 PM
Hasheem Thabeet has a great attitude and will eventually be a steady pro. Do you people ever hear about late bloomers. Look at Chauncey Billups, and Joe Johnson as examples of late bloomers. Have some patience.

MJ-BULLS
03-04-2010, 12:15 PM
everybody knew that he wasn't a great offensive player, and was very raw. I'm pretty sure that he'll make it back to the NBA, the kid has a great attitude and has worked hard all his life. all he needs to do is develop into a good, or average offensive player and he will be back in the NBA in no time.

Sixerlover
03-04-2010, 12:25 PM
He is exactly what he was in college. A defender with a horrible offensive game. I don't blame him for this. He is who he is.

alencp3
03-17-2010, 01:27 PM
He had good game against chicago
If he is a starter he can put 10/10/3 which is great for a rookie center

m26555
03-17-2010, 01:40 PM
My God; the dude hasn't even been in the league for a full season yet, so let's chill with the Thabeet bashing. I don't think anyone really expected him to make an immediate impact in his first season; give him some time. He still has the potential to be a very effective big man.

scandaless2
03-17-2010, 01:50 PM
He had good game against chicago
If he is a starter he can put 10/10/3 which is great for a rookie center

He played against our bench ... we had 4 of our starters out ... The only starter we had in the game was a rookie....

jetsfan28
03-17-2010, 01:52 PM
He played against our bench ... we had 4 of our starters out ... The only starter we had in the game was a rookie....

And he's a bench player right now, so what exactly is your point? They're NBA players that he had a very good game against.

sep11ie
03-17-2010, 02:05 PM
Maybe if more high picks sent to the D-League there'd be less busts.

Trouble87
03-17-2010, 02:51 PM
Maybe if more high picks sent to the D-League there'd be less busts.

Darko might be in a better place now if that would've happened

scandaless2
03-17-2010, 05:14 PM
And he's a bench player right now, so what exactly is your point? They're NBA players that he had a very good game against.

:eyebrow: yes he is a bench player .... and a #2 lotto pic.. at that ... also name me one time he had a very good game against any player in the NBA... he only had 10 points 2x and never had over 9 rebounds in a game so whats your point! i think u need to go check his stats.

PurpleJesus
03-17-2010, 05:26 PM
Thabeet played for the Dakota Wizards who play in Bismarck where I currently live...He did a great job of getting Bismarck back into playoff position, they won 5/6 well he was here...he put up monster numbers, but of course it was against terrible competition

DetroitLions
03-17-2010, 05:44 PM
Thabeet should never have gone to the Grizzlies when they had Gasol

kobebabe
03-17-2010, 06:03 PM
He is officially a bust!