PDA

View Full Version : Should the Rockets trade Yao Ming this summer while they still can get a lot for him?

JordansBulls
02-25-2010, 05:45 PM
Should the Rockets trade Yao Ming this summer while they still can get a lot for him?

GOON MUSIC
02-25-2010, 05:48 PM
YAO-ZERS !!!

Why trade a 20-10 guy

meh, besides the fact that he cant stay healthy, yeah TRADE HIM !!

Gibby23
02-25-2010, 05:49 PM
No

twoearl
02-25-2010, 05:51 PM
Yes I think they should. Yao Ming has proved nothing in the NBA but the fact that he cant stay healthy a full season. He is the China version of Greg Oden.

GodsSon
02-25-2010, 05:51 PM
What value does he have coming off an entire season missed?

Jays Claw
02-25-2010, 05:53 PM
His value is currently low. The Rockets won't be able to net a decent package for him because of his age and health. They should just keep him. They're thin up front and are in need of a big man.

Gibby23
02-25-2010, 05:54 PM

He has good value. They got Kevin Martin for T Mac. Yao will be in the last year of his contract next year so they can get some good players for him if they wanted to.

Fresno
02-25-2010, 05:55 PM
From a basketball standpoint, Yes. Yao will be 30 this year and he already is injury prone and when he returns it would probably be unlikely for him to be a 20/10 guy. Maybe somewhere near there but not on an Elite level. Houston is building a competitive team, and nobody knows how good they will be with having to run the offense around Yao.

From a business standpoint, Hell No. Yao rakes in so much money from China for the Rockets that they would lose tens of millions in money from China.

Yao's going to retire a Rocket.

Fresno
02-25-2010, 05:57 PM
He has good value. They got Kevin Martin for T Mac. Yao will be in the last year of his contract next year so they can get some good players for him if they wanted to.

Exactly.

Specifically a West Coast team like the Clippers, Warriors, or Kings. Theres such a big Asian population in California that Yao's presence will guarantee more ticket sales throughout the season along with the revenue from China. It also raises revenue for Yao's teammates because most Asians dont know anything about basketball, just look at China almost coming close to voting an injured T-Mac into the ASG, 2 years in a row.

However, Houston would be crazy to give up all that money from the Chinese fans.

Raps18-19 Champ
02-25-2010, 05:58 PM
I'll give you Amir Johnson(Resign for 5-6 mil), Marcus Banks and money.

SteveNash
02-25-2010, 06:03 PM
Can't get equal trade value for the best center in the game.

thescore53
02-25-2010, 06:04 PM
hope you win your bet on bargnani lool

Raps18-19 Champ
02-25-2010, 06:08 PM
Can't get equal trade value for the best center in the game.

:facepalm:

I think your forgetting about Andrea Bargnani.

Perl567
02-25-2010, 06:10 PM
From a basketball standpoint, Yes. Yao will be 30 this year and he already is injury prone and when he returns it would probably be unlikely for him to be a 20/10 guy. Maybe somewhere near there but not on an Elite level. Houston is building a competitive team, and nobody knows how good they will be with having to run the offense around Yao.

From a business standpoint, Hell No. Yao rakes in so much money from China for the Rockets that they would lose tens of millions in money from China.

I agree. Yao (if he stays healthy) is a huge commodity- even if they don't use him in the offense. Just having him on the floor to rebound and take up a big defender is a huge benefit, not to mention that he has a great shooting touch. They don't need him to be a 20-10 guy with the acquisitions they made- especially Martin. They need him to be a 15-10 guy playing 30 minutes, which is entirely doable (even for a 40 year old Shaq). Barring freaky and scary injuries like the one he just had, he will perform. There's tons of players that had serious injuries that have performed at a high level (Kenyon Martin, McDyess, Carter, CP3 when he returns to name a few.

If a deal does go through, rest assured they'll get everything they need and want- from a business perspective alone he's worth his weight in gold x 10,000. And they have one of the best (if not THE best) GM in the business.

ChiSox219
02-25-2010, 06:10 PM
No.

The Rockets got Kevin Martin who's a master of drawing fouls and getting into the bonus. Once in the bonus, a healthy Yao is the best player in the NBA.

Raph12
02-25-2010, 06:14 PM
Yao's a cash cow, you don't trade him period.

wallerstud06
02-25-2010, 06:16 PM
only way I would trade Yao is if i can get Durant and Kristic OR a young center like a Bynum or someone

Fresno
02-25-2010, 06:18 PM
I agree. Yao (if he stays healthy) is a huge commodity- even if they don't use him in the offense. Just having him on the floor to rebound and take up a big defender is a huge benefit, not to mention that he has a great shooting touch. They don't need him to be a 20-10 guy with the acquisitions they made- especially Martin. They need him to be a 15-10 guy playing 30 minutes, which is entirely doable (even for a 40 year old Shaq).
The question is if the Rockets can be successful while revolving the offense around Yao, if hes only a 15-10 guy then they shouldn't run the offense through him. If he returns as a 20-10 guy then they should.

Barring freaky and scary injuries like the one he just had, he will perform. There's tons of players that had serious injuries that have performed at a high level (Kenyon Martin, McDyess, Carter, CP3 when he returns to name a few.

CP3? He only suffered a severe ankle sprain.

ChiSox219
02-25-2010, 06:19 PM
The question is if the Rockets can be successful while revolving the offense around Yao, if hes only a 15-10 guy then they shouldn't run the offense through him. If he returns as a 20-10 guy then they should.

CP3 had a ligament or tendon (can't remember specifically) removed from his knee.

Perl567
02-25-2010, 06:28 PM

You don't have surgery for a severe ankle sprain, but he'll be back to form for the playoffs. Even if he isn't, Collison can step in and run the point.

All I can say is the Rockets should have been DAMN scary with McGrady, Yao and Ariza. They were scary with just McGrady and Yao healthy. They just really never had McGrady AND Yao healthy for a whole season to my knowledge (but I'm not an every-day fan, so this might be wrong). I wouldn't change the scheme at all- you added a great guard (albeit another injury-prone guard) that should replace McGrady nicely.

20GoodTimes20
02-25-2010, 06:33 PM
Yes I think they should. Yao Ming has proved nothing in the NBA but the fact that he cant stay healthy a full season. He is the China version of Greg Oden.

:facepalm:Are you kidding bro? Either you're a bitter Blazers fan or your'e just out of your mind.

Aside from the fact that he brings a much more potent offense game than Oden...he single handedly brings millions of dollars to the Rockets and the league, as well as Millions of fans. GTFO

Do not trade the man.(period)

Perl567
02-25-2010, 06:35 PM

I think you need to change this to He is the China version of what people thought Greg Oden might be. We haven't seen enough of Oden to even put him in the same category as Yao. A better comparison: Hasheem Thabeet. Hibbert. Maybe.

Bucsfan
02-25-2010, 07:15 PM
i personally dont think yao ming has a whole lot of value, who is going to be willing to trade for a guy that has been out of basketball as long as he has? and his chronic injuries arent helping his value

im sure somebody would want him, but the injury stuff is going to kill his value

atl_braves_fan
02-25-2010, 07:28 PM
Should they trade him - yes. Will they trade him - absolutely not. They make a ton of money off that guy.

TEXASTITAN
02-25-2010, 07:29 PM
Yao is here to stay for better or for worse. He sells more merchandise on the bench than most players do playing and thats the truth. Houston will resign him and he's gonna be a rocket till he retires. Trading him is useless because they won't get true value for him when you figure in what he contributes on and off the court merchandising and playing. And to the guy who questions his value consider this china is the largest country by population and he's their version of michael jordan so you figure it out yao sells plain and simple. He sells more merch and brings more fans to the game than ANYBODY the utah jazz have so dispute that buddy......

Kakaroach
02-25-2010, 07:31 PM
Right now his value is wayyyy low. And no way the Rockets trade him anyway.

Bucsfan
02-25-2010, 08:09 PM
Yao is here to stay for better or for worse. He sells more merchandise on the bench than most players do playing and thats the truth. Houston will resign him and he's gonna be a rocket till he retires. Trading him is useless because they won't get true value for him when you figure in what he contributes on and off the court merchandising and playing. And to the guy who questions his value consider this china is the largest country by population and he's their version of michael jordan so you figure it out yao sells plain and simple. He sells more merch and brings more fans to the game than ANYBODY the utah jazz have so dispute that buddy......

oh wow dont hurt my feelings!!

i honestly could care less who sells the most jerseys or merchandise, thats kiddy stuff...

and i dont think its brings more fans to games considering ESA can handle more people than the toyota center,at the toyota center they arent even the biggest grossing event in town, UFC events gross more than a rockets game, hell george lopez holds the record for largest capacity at the toyota center lol

houston max capacity is a little over 18k.....utah is near 20 k...so not sure how your putting more fans in the seats, so its impossible for yao to bring more seats to the game than the jazz

Purple&Gold24
02-25-2010, 08:27 PM
They should trade him...but im not sure who would take such a risk, he's always hurt. But i would like to see him with the rockets currents roster.

Jays Claw
02-25-2010, 10:47 PM
Yao's a cash cow, you don't trade him period.

Agreed. :nod:

HoopsDrive
02-25-2010, 10:58 PM

i honestly could care less who sells the most jerseys or merchandise, thats kiddy stuff...

and i dont think its brings more fans to games considering ESA can handle more people than the toyota center,at the toyota center they arent even the biggest grossing event in town, UFC events gross more than a rockets game, hell george lopez holds the record for largest capacity at the toyota center lol

houston max capacity is a little over 18k.....utah is near 20 k...so not sure how your putting more fans in the seats, so its impossible for yao to bring more seats to the game than the jazz

Kiddy stuff?

The NBA is still a business last I checked. Yao is a cash cow as many have said already and that doesn't count only seats in the arena you know. That also counts merchandise revenue which is huge for any NBA franchise and Yao is one of the most marketable athletes on the PLANET, thanks to his Chinese fanbase. Global awareness of the brand is also increased drastically by Yao's presence on the team which also leads to increased revenue for the franchise. TV rights to international markets such as Asia and Europe is another big factor where Yao has a positive impact in.

Yao is more than just an asset on the court, he's one of the most valuable assets off of it, right there with LBJ and Kobe in this requisite. Those two players are also the only ones that can contest with Yao in terms of global awareness for an NBA player. Nowizki, Iverson, McGrady and Carter have a small argument but the 3 I mentioned are clearly ahead right now.

Paulliwali
02-25-2010, 11:17 PM
never he was the reason i started to watch basketball, just as billions of other chinese in China do.

the business asset he brings to the rockets is too great for the rockets to trade him

ldc62
02-25-2010, 11:52 PM
i personally dont think yao ming has a whole lot of value, who is going to be willing to trade for a guy that has been out of basketball as long as he has? and his chronic injuries arent helping his value

im sure somebody would want him, but the injury stuff is going to kill his value

Any team that wants to make money will trade for Yao... so that makes all the teams in the NBA. What they wanna trade is a different story.

astrosmaniac
02-25-2010, 11:56 PM

the money yao brings to the franchise allows our owner to comfortably be able to pay the luxury tax if it makes us a better team (unlike utah: trading away erik maynor for cap space)

jimbobjarree
02-26-2010, 12:51 AM
why would they get lots of him when he's hardly played for 2 years, surely they'd have to wait for till he gets some minutes before being able to get a taker, and then maybe they wouldnt want to trade him cus he's healthy.

They either trade him for alot less value or keep him, I think the latter seems much more likely

JordansBulls
02-26-2010, 09:22 AM
why would they get lots of him when he's hardly played for 2 years, surely they'd have to wait for till he gets some minutes before being able to get a taker, and then maybe they wouldnt want to trade him cus he's healthy.

They either trade him for alot less value or keep him, I think the latter seems much more likely

Because he is still young and still can produce.

JasonJohnHorn
02-26-2010, 10:12 AM
I think it depends on priorities.

If the Rockets are happy making money and not always contending, then I would not trade him. If they are interested in making a run for a title, I would personally move him, but history does not agree with me.

The last time the Rockets had a great center and were considering trading him because of playoff failures, it was when they had Hakeem. The ended up hanging onto him and won two titles. The Blazers were cursed long before Oden, and long before Bowie, and Bill Walton was constantly injured, but he did help them win a title. And Big Z was always injured during his 20's, but since has gone on to have several relatively healthy seasons. And teams, as a rule, never trade a dominant big man (the Lakers did and the saw the Heat win a title while they were stuggling to keep their heads above water in the West- a move that eventually paid off because Shaq got them Bulter, who got them Kwambe, who got them Gaosl- but that could have went very badly for the Lakers had Memphis not been looking to dump Gasol).

I personally have never been very impressed with Yao. He seems like a great guy, and he does make a positive impact on the floor, but his defence has never wowed me, his blocks are relatively low for a guy his size, his rebounding numbers have never been dominant, and though his offence is great, he doesn't have the athleticism of the great centers, though in a league that is short of great centers, I think Yao ranks high when healthy.

The key word though is healthy. Since Yao started playing 36+ minutes he has only played one healthy season. He has missed huge chucks of seasons and his team has been helpd back. When he has played under 30 minutes he has been able to able to stay healthy, so if they did that he may last the whole season and then play starting minutes in the post season. But is it worth to pay a guy a max- contract who only plays back-up minutes and can't stay healthy when playing starting minutes?

I'd also be curious, if I were the Rocket's GM, to see how Yao plays with this current roster with Kevin Martin, but at the same time I don't expect that it will work well. The most effective I've seen Yao is when he played with Francis. I know this may sound odd considering where Francis's career has gone, but at his peek, Francis knew how to run a tight and high, pick-and-roll with Yao, and Yao on the wign could hit the jumper, and Francis could get into the lane and to the hoop.

I'd dump him and try to get high picks, or try to make a move for a point guard that could run the pick and role and pass. I haven't seen the current Rockets play this season, so perhaps they have those toold already, but a point guard like tony Parker, or Rondo would really make the Rockets a legit contender, but if they could land that type of player in the offseason, I'd look to move Yao and see what other teams were willing to give me.

But as I said, history would say I'm wrong and this would be a tough call. There are cons on both sides and not to many pros on either.

Bucsfan
02-26-2010, 10:18 AM
Any team that wants to make money will trade for Yao... so that makes all the teams in the NBA. What they wanna trade is a different story.

and that trade had no effect on the team, nor did the brewer one really, they saved 10 million dollars by trading away maynor, and we got gaines in exchange, it was a smart move imo

i really dont care how much money any team makes, i care about the W's, it doesnt effect me any if the owner makes a couple extra bucks, its not like the rockets ticket prices are getting lower because of yao

phi714
02-26-2010, 10:26 AM

Useless thread only brought about to stir up controversy. Meant to suck you in in hopes that you will have an emotional response to it. And it works - that's why I'm here. Very disappointed in you Jordan - you know better than most that the Rox will never get rid of Yao and you know why $$$. Good day, sir!:facepalm:

king4day
02-26-2010, 10:31 AM
They won't get much for him.
He's more valuable to the Rockets to play out the last year of the contract and decide from there. If he can't stay healthy next year then there's no point in retaining him anyway, and no team will give up more than expirings for him.

mikantsass
02-26-2010, 10:54 AM

Exactly what i was thinking

TheGreenMonster
02-26-2010, 10:59 AM
Trade him to the nets... we will give you Josh Boone, Bobby Simmons, and Trenton Hassel.

HoopsDrive
02-26-2010, 11:24 AM
and that trade had no effect on the team, nor did the brewer one really, they saved 10 million dollars by trading away maynor, and we got gaines in exchange, it was a smart move imo

i really dont care how much money any team makes, i care about the W's, it doesnt effect me any if the owner makes a couple extra bucks, its not like the rockets ticket prices are getting lower because of yao

Understandable from a fan point of view, but the NBA is not only a sport, it's a business. From a business point of view, Yao is one of the most valuable assets in the league, right there with LBJ and Kobe. Why do you think teams are shredding salaries during this economic crisis? They're losing millions of dollars and they're cutting to save on cash, which is quite obvious.

Any franchise would pay big time money to not only have te services of Yao but the money he generates as a marketable asset. You have to take into account everything when considering trades. Yao may not have the same on court value as before but his marketing value is still as high as ever and that alone makes him untradable unless the name coming in is LBJ, Kobe or Howard.

Because you will never be getting these players back in a trade for Yao he's virtually untradable.

Ezekial
02-26-2010, 11:46 AM

Basketball is a business first, a sport second. You know who cares about those jersey sales? THE PEOPLE SIGNING YAO'S CHECK. God, people are stupid, of course his trade value is low, he's always hurt. Yao on the IR makes more money for your team than any other player.

It would be like if Americans actually cared about soccer and 1 player from the US went to an elite team and everyone followed it(I know the Rockets are not elite but accept the damn analogy). Thats what Yao is to China.

I'll tell you right now he won't be traded, he brings too much money into the Rocket's organization and as I said before the owners care more about making a ton of money than winning a championship, although the players may not(most).

Bucsfan
02-26-2010, 12:51 PM
I really dont care very much about the business end, i dont work for the jazz, i dont care how many jerseys we sell, i care about them putting a team together for a good value, congrats to all rockets fans knowing that yao sells tons of jersies, im sure that makes you sleep better at night

me personally, i could care less how many boozer or dwill jerseys are sold, that money doesnt go in my pocket

so do you guys follow your local grocers and blockbusters revenue too? i mean they are a business just like a basketball team right? or do you not care about the business end...and just care about the product

I care about the product

JordansBulls
02-27-2010, 01:42 AM
I think it depends on priorities.

If the Rockets are happy making money and not always contending, then I would not trade him. If they are interested in making a run for a title, I would personally move him, but history does not agree with me.

The last time the Rockets had a great center and were considering trading him because of playoff failures, it was when they had Hakeem. The ended up hanging onto him and won two titles. The Blazers were cursed long before Oden, and long before Bowie, and Bill Walton was constantly injured, but he did help them win a title. And Big Z was always injured during his 20's, but since has gone on to have several relatively healthy seasons. And teams, as a rule, never trade a dominant big man (the Lakers did and the saw the Heat win a title while they were stuggling to keep their heads above water in the West- a move that eventually paid off because Shaq got them Bulter, who got them Kwambe, who got them Gaosl- but that could have went very badly for the Lakers had Memphis not been looking to dump Gasol).

I personally have never been very impressed with Yao. He seems like a great guy, and he does make a positive impact on the floor, but his defence has never wowed me, his blocks are relatively low for a guy his size, his rebounding numbers have never been dominant, and though his offence is great, he doesn't have the athleticism of the great centers, though in a league that is short of great centers, I think Yao ranks high when healthy.

The key word though is healthy. Since Yao started playing 36+ minutes he has only played one healthy season. He has missed huge chucks of seasons and his team has been helpd back. When he has played under 30 minutes he has been able to able to stay healthy, so if they did that he may last the whole season and then play starting minutes in the post season. But is it worth to pay a guy a max- contract who only plays back-up minutes and can't stay healthy when playing starting minutes?

I'd also be curious, if I were the Rocket's GM, to see how Yao plays with this current roster with Kevin Martin, but at the same time I don't expect that it will work well. The most effective I've seen Yao is when he played with Francis. I know this may sound odd considering where Francis's career has gone, but at his peek, Francis knew how to run a tight and high, pick-and-roll with Yao, and Yao on the wign could hit the jumper, and Francis could get into the lane and to the hoop.

I'd dump him and try to get high picks, or try to make a move for a point guard that could run the pick and role and pass. I haven't seen the current Rockets play this season, so perhaps they have those toold already, but a point guard like tony Parker, or Rondo would really make the Rockets a legit contender, but if they could land that type of player in the offseason, I'd look to move Yao and see what other teams were willing to give me.

But as I said, history would say I'm wrong and this would be a tough call. There are cons on both sides and not to many pros on either.

Damn good post again.

fadedmario
02-27-2010, 02:06 AM
No one wants Yao Ming.

Hellcrooner
02-27-2010, 03:54 AM
that ship left when he had his firsst srious injury and they didnt trade him, no he holds no BASKETBALL wise value, may have bvalue as in sponsrhips frm china and as a gigiantic expiring contract , nothing else

Teams should know bigs NEVER come back from a serious injury and trade them after the first one, Blazers should have traded Oden while they could and lakers SHOULD trade Bynum ASAP

Meth
Houston values him as much as he values Houston.

Off-topic: Has anyone seen the documentary Year of the Yao? It was pretty epic.

JNA17
what value do you get for an injury prone center?

rosechicago1
02-27-2010, 10:41 AM
Maybe a couple teams would want him, but not many. Especially if he is out for the season next year too.

astrosmaniac
02-27-2010, 01:03 PM
I really dont care very much about the business end, i dont work for the jazz, i dont care how many jerseys we sell, i care about them putting a team together for a good value, congrats to all rockets fans knowing that yao sells tons of jersies, im sure that makes you sleep better at night

me personally, i could care less how many boozer or dwill jerseys are sold, that money doesnt go in my pocket

so do you guys follow your local grocers and blockbusters revenue too? i mean they are a business just like a basketball team right? or do you not care about the business end...and just care about the product

I care about the product
but what you dont understand is two things:

1) when yao is on the court, he is better than any other center in the league aside dwight (dont wanna turn this into a yao V dwight thread)

2) the money yao brings the team allows our owner to go out ang get talented players to help us get wins. when we got artest for 2 1sts basically, it put us WAY into the luxury tax. our owner was willing to shell out the money because of what yao brings in. if yao wasn't the cash cow he is, they i doubt we trade for artest, and in return we dont make it to the 2nd round of the playoffs and take the lakers to 7 games last year. so yes, the money yao brings in makes us a better team, period.

i can tell you there are only 2 teams i can think of that would not switch their current C with yao. thats orlando (obvious) and LA (bynum is like 6-7 years younger and has the POTENTIAL to be what yao is talent wise)

Kyben36
02-27-2010, 01:25 PM
Im under the impression, that Yao MIng is one of the most over rated players in the league, and that you artn going to find any value for him

1) He is a terrible defender, I know his size gives him help, but he cant move well and doesnt even jump
2) he is very very very slow, especaily with the NBA getting faster, he just cant fit with a team like, well, at least 1/2-3/4 of the NBA teams out there
3) HE is a risk, he is payed alot, and with his size, you just dont know what can happen to him. his body isnt exactly that of Superman, He gets injured alot

Presonly, I would just hate to see him on the bulls, I just dont like him.

Hellcrooner
02-27-2010, 01:27 PM
but what you dont understand is two things:

1) when yao is on the court, he is better than any other center in the league aside dwight (dont wanna turn this into a yao V dwight thread)

2) the money yao brings the team allows our owner to go out ang get talented players to help us get wins. when we got artest for 2 1sts basically, it put us WAY into the luxury tax. our owner was willing to shell out the money because of what yao brings in. if yao wasn't the cash cow he is, they i doubt we trade for artest, and in return we dont make it to the 2nd round of the playoffs and take the lakers to 7 games last year. so yes, the money yao brings in makes us a better team, period.

i can tell you there are only 2 teams i can think of that would not switch their current C with yao. thats orlando (obvious) and LA (bynum is like 6-7 years younger and has the POTENTIAL to be what yao is talent wise)

sorry to dissapoint you but i doubt any team that is not the Blazers since his own center is injury riddled on his own and maybe NY because.....welll they dont have one would trade you their center for a 30 year old ming after a season of not layng beause of his umptenth serious injury.

mrblisterdundee
02-27-2010, 01:49 PM
Yau Ming's value is going to plummet on his next contract. One way or the other, the Rockets need to trade him to a team wanting future cap space. He's going to be injured too often to help an up-and-coming team, which the Rockets are. Carl Landry was a significant loss, but they have a pretty good core of players. That's why I thought the Amare trade would have worked out nicely; Houston works well with a smaller, more athletic roster.

wileyisTOFU
02-27-2010, 01:53 PM
Exactly.

Specifically a West Coast team like the Clippers, Warriors, or Kings. Theres such a big Asian population in California that Yao's presence will guarantee more ticket sales throughout the season along with the revenue from China. It also raises revenue for Yao's teammates because most Asians dont know anything about basketball, just look at China almost coming close to voting an injured T-Mac into the ASG, 2 years in a row.

However, Houston would be crazy to give up all that money from the Chinese fans.

basically sums it for me

Angel2Maverick
02-27-2010, 02:09 PM
No one wants Yao Ming.

This

brandt
02-27-2010, 03:00 PM
No way they would think about it. I don't care how injury prone he is.

I'm hoping that with the role players that they have now, from that trade for Mcgrady and then some, won't make him work so hard. There for maybe he won't get hurt so much. Tmac was usually hurt when Yao wasn't, so everything went through him.

Just last night though against the Spurs, 3 of their guys scored 30 points or more without Ariza. So, I think it will be interesting to see what happens next year. Possibly even the playoffs if they make it that far, and Yao is able to come back around that time.

Meth
02-27-2010, 03:05 PM
Pretty much he is bound to be injured due to the fact that he is 7'6 and runs up and down the court up to 35 minutes a game. Then legs can't sustain that because he's freakin' 7'6 and all the weight goes down on his legs.

astrosmaniac
02-27-2010, 03:54 PM
sorry to dissapoint you but i doubt any team that is not the Blazers since his own center is injury riddled on his own and maybe NY because.....welll they dont have one would trade you their center for a 30 year old ming after a season of not layng beause of his umptenth serious injury.

really? you would take any center in the league over yao besides oden and whoever is starting for NY at C? because if so you are in denial or have a serious lack of basketball knowledge. once again, on the court yao ming is better than any C but dwight howard

yao had the surgery that he should have had all along. its a remodeling of his arch to reduce stress on his foot. this is the same surgery big Z had after his injury troubles and since hasnt had any foot troubles.

Hellcrooner
02-27-2010, 03:57 PM
really? you would take any center in the league over yao besides oden and whoever is starting for NY at C? because if so you are in denial or have a serious lack of basketball knowledge. once again, on the court yao ming is better than any C but dwight howard

yao had the surgery that he should have had all along. its a remodeling of his arch to reduce stress on his foot. this is the same surgery big Z had after his injury troubles and since hasnt had any foot troubles.

and what has been Z level of play since then?

You are the one that is delusional if you think a wore down Ming is better than a healthy Bogut, Lopez, Horford, Marc Gasol, Bynum etc etc.

Oh and in my opinion MIng on one leg and with a hand tied in his back is better as a PLAYEr ( not more dominant) than Howard

astrosmaniac
02-27-2010, 04:08 PM
and what has been Z level of play since then?

You are the one that is delusional if you think a wore down Ming is better than a healthy Bogut, Lopez, Horford, Marc Gasol, Bynum etc etc.

Oh and in my opinion MIng on one leg and with a hand tied in his back is better as a PLAYEr ( not more dominant) than Howard

Big Z was never on yao's level to begin with. Z never averaged more than 17 PPG in any given season. and that was AFTER the surgery he had. he never averaged more than 9 RPG, and that was AFTER the same surgery yao had. after that surgery big Z went 5 straight years with missing less than 5 games per year. so yea that argument is invalid. big Z played better after his surgery.

i think the yao ming that plays next year will be better than horford, bogut, and bynum. i wont include gasol and lopez because i think theres a chance they can continue to make big strides next year and im not exactly sure what level they will be at, but if i were comparing yao to them right now, yes i would say yao is better

HoopsDrive
02-27-2010, 05:32 PM
What some of you are failing to understand is that YOU, as a fan, might not care about the business side of the NBA, and only about the product that teams put on the court BUT the owners certainly DO care about that, even more so than the product they put on the court.

In regards to this business side of the NBA, Yao is a top 3 player to have on your franchise, with only Kobe and LBJ having cases against him.

Because Yao is coming off a very serious surgery procedure, generates revenue that ranks among the top 3 players in ALL THE NBA through the selling of merchandise, TV rights and franchise awareness, the Rockets will not be able to get equal value in any trade. Therefore, he's virtually untradable at this point.

kozelkid
02-27-2010, 05:34 PM
Depends what "alot" means. I truly believe that when Yao is healthy he is the best center and big man in this league. With how good Brooks has become, along with the addition of Ariza and Martin, I think that getting Yao back makes them a contender, so I think they'd be better off keeping him and trying it again. While REALLY limiting his minutes.

TEXASTITAN
02-27-2010, 05:51 PM

Try to make a valid point instead of ''kiddy'' stuff like capacity of fans in an arena buddy. I hardly think yao being a cash cow for the NBA is ''kiddy'' stuff if you had any knowlege of the NBA that's what makes it run especially in difficult economic times such as these. Take a larger look at what i wrote i didn't say he brought more fans to the rockets i meant the NBA period. It's hard to explain something like this to someone who clearly doesn't understand.

TEXASTITAN
02-27-2010, 06:01 PM
I think it's funny because no matter their troubles they seem to contend every year for the past what 5 years? The haters must have missed the 7 game series with the lakers last year and if i recall they were the ONLY team to push them to 7 games in the playoffs shorthanded. Of course the jazz fans are going to come in the thread and hate id be upset too if my best player didn't want to be there and is leaving in free agency anyway (boozer). But despite that please try to add something intelligent to the conversation otherwise your just taking up post space for someone who might actually contribute something to the thread.

Verbal Christ
02-28-2010, 06:20 PM
love the 'gems' from jazz fan, and the irony of "only caring about W's" thats a hoot! as far as yao's injuries there is not structural damage in his knee's, he isnt calling out for microfracture, his foot was bad, very similar to what Big Z's were and had the same exact surgery, so when was the last time Z had some foot problems? I'd be willing to bet that if a poll was taken amongst NBA GM's, every single one would say they would LOVE to have Yao on their team, his value will extend far beyond his playing years, as one of the first succesful asian players, and its confusing to a certain degree how many can be so deliberate with their hate. LOL cant wait for next year, and the lot of you will be ducking and dodging from any yao threads, or blatantly switching sides and proclaiming you knew he'd come back strong all along. PSD is so predictable.

JordansBulls
02-28-2010, 06:59 PM
Depends what "alot" means. I truly believe that when Yao is healthy he is the best center and big man in this league. With how good Brooks has become, along with the addition of Ariza and Martin, I think that getting Yao back makes them a contender, so I think they'd be better off keeping him and trying it again. While REALLY limiting his minutes.

I always thought the best thing would be to have him either take off on back to back games or just play the last 30 games of the season.