PDA

View Full Version : NY Times: The McGrady Effect: More $ Than Ws

JordansBulls
02-25-2010, 04:38 PM
Link (http://offthedribble.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/02/24/the-mcgrady-effect-more-than-ws/?src=tptw)

A week after trading for Tracy McGrady, the Knicks are still waiting for a transformation. Or, at a minimum, a victory.

The McGrady-led Knicks have produced two sturdy efforts and one absolute stinker, all of them losses. McGrady is still regaining stamina after a long layoff. The Knicks are acclimating to an overhauled rotation.

But away from the court, the McGrady effect is already clear and profound:

-- In a three-day period that began last Thursday — the day McGrady was acquired — the Knicks recorded 1.5 million page views on their Web site, the most for any three-day span since 2005.

-- For McGrady’s debut on Saturday, the MSG network reported 172,351 household viewers — the biggest audience for a Knicks game since Feb. 2, 2009, when they played the Cleveland Cavaliers.

-- In three games with McGrady, the Knicks’ average viewership is 79 percent higher than their season average, according to MSG.

-- The Knicks reported a 40 percent spike in on-site merchandise sales during Saturday’s game at Madison Square Garden — including more than 200 McGrady T-shirts and more than 100 McGrady jerseys. All for a player who might be here for just 39 games.

“Clearly, the bell has been rung,’’ said Scott O’Neil, the president of MSG Sports. “I would say the market’s alert and awake and excited.’’

The Knicks acquired McGrady mostly for his expiring contract — a payroll-clearing move that could allow them to sign two marquee players this summer. LeBron James is the primary target.

Whether fans are energized by the presence of McGrady or by the possibility of James, they are responding en masse.

According to O’Neil, the Knicks sold more than 750 new season tickets for 2010-11 during a presale that began, fortuitously, last Thursday. It took the Knicks two months to sell the same number last year. (The “presale’’ tickets were sold to people who already had partial plans or were adding seats to their existing plans.)

McGrady might be only a two-month rental, but he is the biggest star to wear a Knicks uniform in a decade, and he has sparked simultaneous excitement for the present and the near future.

A McGrady effect? “I would say absolutely,’’ O’Neil said.

KG2TB
02-25-2010, 04:51 PM
Yep, sounds about right. Knowing the Knicks though, they'll strike out with all the top dog free agents and give Mac a max contract because he ended the season on a decent streak. I'm just kidding Knick fans...kind of.

JordansBulls
02-25-2010, 05:36 PM
Yep, sounds about right. Knowing the Knicks though, they'll strike out with all the top dog free agents and give Mac a max contract because he ended the season on a decent streak. I'm just kidding Knick fans...kind of.

No way does he get a max contract. I can't see more than a 3 yr / 27 million deal.

jimbobjarree
02-25-2010, 05:39 PM
lol 3 years 27mil...are you crazy?

GodsSon
02-25-2010, 05:39 PM
No way does he get a max contract. I can't see more than a 3 yr / 27 million deal.

9 million a year for what? a second round virgin?? the Knicks FO would be even stupider than I thought if they gave him that deal

NYK_kidd77
02-25-2010, 05:45 PM
I really see Tmac getting a vet min cant see anyone paying him alot and i doubt he wants to play for a non contender at this point.

knickerbockerny
02-25-2010, 05:46 PM
There is no way he is getting more than 3 mil per from the Knicks.

29$JerZ
02-25-2010, 05:47 PM
The most Tracy will get from us is the MLE, which we'll have to renounce in order to have 2 Max type CAP

xxseven72ducexx
02-25-2010, 05:49 PM
yea hell sign for the mid-level with the Knicks or sum1 else, most likley a contender will sign him tho, cuz at this point he's lookin for a championship and he'd be stupid not to come off the bench for the Cavs or some team like that in hopes of winning a ring

SteveNash
02-25-2010, 05:49 PM
Not much of a surprise, how long it lasts is the question.

Giaps
02-25-2010, 06:03 PM
Knicks fans have been looking for a reason to get hooked in. I am not surprised.

Chronz
02-25-2010, 06:06 PM
Theyve been competitive against some top notch defensive squads, I dont think hes made them better yet but as my friend put it, hes made the Knicks must see TV. Tmac is a popular player, many kids/ball players grew up idolizing and molding their games after him. Add to the fact that hes one of better humanitarians in the biz and people cant help but root for him. I really hope he stays in NY or comes to the Clippers.

Giaps
02-25-2010, 06:13 PM
The Knicks have been the most frugal spenders the last 2 years so I don't understand why people think they will overpay now. Scott Layden and Isiah Thomas are not walking through that door.

If McGrady is your 3rd option (which he could be next season), with Gallinari/Chandler as your 4th and 5th options then I think you have yourself a pretty good starting 5.

JayW_1023
02-25-2010, 06:14 PM
Funny how people said T-Mac was back the first game. He is nothing more than a 12ppg scorer if not less. And he is already complaining and making excuses.

Perl567
02-25-2010, 06:19 PM
The most Tracy will get from us is the MLE, which we'll have to renounce in order to have 2 Max type CAP

Agreed on the MLE- but I don't think you'll get 2 max players. You'll get one of them, and then another excellent player or two, similar to what the Pistons did with Ben Gordon and Charlie Villunova(sp). It didn't work out for them too well, but the initial signing were some great pickups in lieu of a max player.

I'm thinking it'll be Steve Nash (I've heard rumblings, and Nash can ball) and Bosh (just seems like a good fit based on the McGrady acquisition) for some reason, but I have to admit that this lineup can compete:

Nash
McGrady
Chandler
Bosh
Lee

If McGrady wants to be a Knick, I'd give him the MLE. I'd take that lineup any day. Its working on the business side of things too. Let's face it- McGrady is SICK when he's healthy, but he's not healthy that often. Give him a reduced role so that he doesn't wear out and he will give you huge numbers. He has throughout his entire career.

astrosmaniac
02-25-2010, 07:49 PM
the knicks will renounce his rights in order to get their cap space. by getting the cap space, they lose the MLE and BAE, meaning t-mac plays for the vets minimum in NY or hes somewhere else

Chronz
02-25-2010, 08:57 PM
Funny how people said T-Mac was back the first game. He is nothing more than a 12ppg scorer if not less. And he is already complaining and making excuses.

Excuses are legitimate but hes easily more than that.

uws
02-25-2010, 09:07 PM
tmac will take vet minimum from the knicks (and be playing beside 2 max guys), or he'll be a MLE somewhere else, thats the only way i see it