PDA

View Full Version : Blueprint for an NBA dynasty -- The New York Knicks

cubyfan07
02-25-2010, 02:40 PM
How rich is LeBron James? Put it this way: When God needs some walking-around money, he borrows it from LBJ.

Dwyane Wade isn't exactly slumming, himself. Some people donate to a church; Wade bought a church for his minister mom.

Knicks fans are ready. As of Nov. 6, the clock was running on LeBron's availability.

And although Chris Bosh isn't in the same endorsement orbit as King James and D-Wade, he's still pushing $60 million in career salary earnings. So it's not as if Bosh is ordering the 89-cent, five-layer burrito from Denise.

LeBron, Wade and Bosh have money, lots of it. What they don't have is an NBA jewelry collection. Of their combined 30 fingers, only one has actually had an NBA championship ring wrapped around it.

Wade won his title in 2006, but the Miami Heat haven't sniffed a playoff-series win since then. James' Cleveland Cavaliers reached the Finals in 2007 -- and got swept. Bosh's Toronto Raptors have been to the postseason twice but haven't made it out of the first round.

All that could change if James, Wade and Bosh decide to put dynasties over dollars, basketball legacies over bank accounts. They just need a dotted line and some stones as big as the ones in Olympic curling.

As ridiculous as it sounds, there exists a scenario in which these three guys could play on the same team and win championships happily ever after starting next season. For once, someone could say, "It's not about the money," and actually mean it.

As you probably noticed, the recent NBA trade deadline isn't just about trading players. It's usually about trading contracts, preferably the expiring kind. It's white-flag economics, where teams essentially admit Steven Seagal has a better chance of winning an Oscar than they do of competing for a championship. So they start dumping salaries into the league's Port-o-Potty.

D-Wade and the others would give up some salary; but in the right market, that wouldn't matter.

Four teams did a lot of flushing in recent weeks: the New York Knicks, Chicago Bulls, Sacramento Kings and the Los Angeles Clippers. (What? Donald Sterling? Go cheap?) And three other franchises also can stretch their legs when it comes to salary-cap space: the Heat, New Jersey Nets and Minnesota Timberwolves.

Without going all capology on you, it looks as though next season's projected salary cap will be between $50.4 million and $53.6 million. Now compare that to the financial wiggle room those seven teams have in 2010-11.

Right now, the Knicks are on the hook for only $18.6 million in contracts next season. The Nets are committed to just $26.6 million worth of deals, while the Heat are at $30.7 million, the Bulls at $31.9 million, the Clippers at $33.5 million, the Kings at $33.9 million and the T-Wolves at $35.2 million.

The numbers could change by July, but at least this gives you an idea of who has the most money to make a run at one of the great unrestricted free-agent classes in NBA history.

From a pure salary standpoint, there's no reason James, Wade and Bosh should bolt. If they max out with their teams, they'll get six-year deals with 10.5 percent annual salary increases. If they move, they'll get only five-year deals at a lower annual increase rate of 8 percent. LeBron could leave $30 million on the table if he ditches the Cavs.

I'd ditch them. If you're really serious about creating a brand and a basketball legacy, do something that's never been done before. Don't max out; min out.

Depending on the final salary-cap numbers, the Knicks could have about $33 million to spend on free agents in the summer. Under normal circumstances, that's enough to offer, say, James a max deal and then fill in the roster holes with whatever is left over.

But if James, Wade and Bosh truly want to make history, they could do the unthinkable and split the Knicks' $33 million three ways. It would cost them salary money, but can you imagine how much they'd make on the back end if they started reeling in NBA titles? In New York?

Whatever they'd lose on their paycheck stubs, they'd make up in endorsements. And it's not as if they're filing simple federal tax returns these days. According to a 2009 Forbes analysis, LeBron earned about $42.4 million in salary and endorsements -- more than Britney Spears, Jay-Z or Tom Cruise and almost as much as Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie combined.

Chris Bosh, teamed with LeBron and D-Wade? NBA titles would be a slam dunk.

Wade was No. 12 on Sports Illustrated's 2009 Fortunate 50, earning $26.4 million in salary and endorsements. Bosh didn't make the top 50, but he is making $15.7 million from the Raptors this season.

Anyway, they all can afford to do something daring. Just think: James, Wade and Bosh at Madison Square Garden.

Seriously, who would touch them? Wade at guard. LeBron at point forward. Bosh in the post or on the wing. Three good guys who could handle the New York media. Three seven-year veterans who understand you get only so many chances to hug the Larry O'Brien Trophy. Three singular players who know careers are defined by championships, not just checkbooks.

Dream Team Jr. could get by on about $11 million each, couldn't it? Yeah, they'd take a cut in pay, but they'd get a raise in title runs.

Don't say no just yet, fellas. And whatever you do, don't tell your agents. (They'll melt like the gestapo guy in "Raiders of the Lost Ark.")

Instead, close your eyes and think about ticker-tape parades, victory cigars and championship rings the size of clementines. Now try to put a price tag on it.

I'll save you the trouble. You can't.

I thought this was interesting. Thoughts? Think its possible?

DaoudS
02-25-2010, 02:51 PM
No.

They will get max contracts and maybe team up after their contract is up if they haven't won anything in 5-6 years.

Raph12
02-25-2010, 02:55 PM
I could see him and Amare in NYC next year.

The_905
02-25-2010, 02:59 PM
Weird, another pipedream on PSD? Never:rolleyes:

JNA17
02-25-2010, 03:00 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/columns/story?columnist=wojciechowski_gene&page=wojciechowski/100223&sportCat=nba

How rich is LeBron James? Put it this way: When God needs some walking-around money, he borrows it from LBJ.

Dwyane Wade isn't exactly slumming, himself. Some people donate to a church; Wade bought a church for his minister mom.

And although Chris Bosh isn't in the same endorsement orbit as King James and D-Wade, he's still pushing $60 million in career salary earnings. So it's not as if Bosh is ordering the 89-cent, five-layer burrito from Denise.

LeBron, Wade and Bosh have money, lots of it. What they don't have is an NBA jewelry collection. Of their combined 30 fingers, only one has actually had an NBA championship ring wrapped around it.

Wade won his title in 2006, but the Miami Heat haven't sniffed a playoff-series win since then. James' Cleveland Cavaliers reached the Finals in 2007 -- and got swept. Bosh's Toronto Raptors have been to the postseason twice but haven't made it out of the first round.

All that could change if James, Wade and Bosh decide to put dynasties over dollars, basketball legacies over bank accounts. They just need a dotted line and some stones as big as the ones in Olympic curling.

As ridiculous as it sounds, there exists a scenario in which these three guys could play on the same team and win championships happily ever after starting next season. For once, someone could say, "It's not about the money," and actually mean it.

As you probably noticed, the recent NBA trade deadline isn't just about trading players. It's usually about trading contracts, preferably the expiring kind. It's white-flag economics, where teams essentially admit Steven Seagal has a better chance of winning an Oscar than they do of competing for a championship. So they start dumping salaries into the league's Port-o-Potty.

Four teams did a lot of flushing in recent weeks: the New York Knicks, Chicago Bulls, Sacramento Kings and the Los Angeles Clippers. (What? Donald Sterling? Go cheap?) And three other franchises also can stretch their legs when it comes to salary-cap space: the Heat, New Jersey Nets and Minnesota Timberwolves.

Without going all capology on you, it looks as though next season's projected salary cap will be between $50.4 million and $53.6 million. Now compare that to the financial wiggle room those seven teams have in 2010-11.

Right now, the Knicks are on the hook for only $18.6 million in contracts next season. The Nets are committed to just $26.6 million worth of deals, while the Heat are at $30.7 million, the Bulls at $31.9 million, the Clippers at $33.5 million, the Kings at $33.9 million and the T-Wolves at $35.2 million.

The numbers could change by July, but at least this gives you an idea of who has the most money to make a run at one of the great unrestricted free-agent classes in NBA history.

From a pure salary standpoint, there's no reason James, Wade and Bosh should bolt. If they max out with their teams, they'll get six-year deals with 10.5 percent annual salary increases. If they move, they'll get only five-year deals at a lower annual increase rate of 8 percent. LeBron could leave $30 million on the table if he ditches the Cavs.

I'd ditch them. If you're really serious about creating a brand and a basketball legacy, do something that's never been done before. Don't max out; min out.

Depending on the final salary-cap numbers, the Knicks could have about $33 million to spend on free agents in the summer. Under normal circumstances, that's enough to offer, say, James a max deal and then fill in the roster holes with whatever is left over.

But if James, Wade and Bosh truly want to make history, they could do the unthinkable and split the Knicks' $33 million three ways. It would cost them salary money, but can you imagine how much they'd make on the back end if they started reeling in NBA titles? In New York?

Whatever they'd lose on their paycheck stubs, they'd make up in endorsements. And it's not as if they're filing simple federal tax returns these days. According to a 2009 Forbes analysis, LeBron earned about $42.4 million in salary and endorsements -- more than Britney Spears, Jay-Z or Tom Cruise and almost as much as Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie combined.

Wade was No. 12 on Sports Illustrated's 2009 Fortunate 50, earning $26.4 million in salary and endorsements. Bosh didn't make the top 50, but he is making $15.7 million from the Raptors this season.

Anyway, they all can afford to do something daring. Just think: James, Wade and Bosh at Madison Square Garden.

Seriously, who would touch them? Wade at guard. LeBron at point forward. Bosh in the post or on the wing. Three good guys who could handle the New York media. Three seven-year veterans who understand you get only so many chances to hug the Larry O'Brien Trophy. Three singular players who know careers are defined by championships, not just checkbooks.

Dream Team Jr. could get by on about $11 million each, couldn't it? Yeah, they'd take a cut in pay, but they'd get a raise in title runs.

Don't say no just yet, fellas. And whatever you do, don't tell your agents. (They'll melt like the gestapo guy in "Raiders of the Lost Ark.")

Instead, close your eyes and think about ticker-tape parades, victory cigars and championship rings the size of clementines. Now try to put a price tag on it.

I'll save you the trouble. You can't.

abe_froman
02-25-2010, 03:01 PM
yeah thats not gonna happen,but its nice to dream

G-Funk
02-25-2010, 03:08 PM
HAHAHA! Knicks fan wrote an article. Wade would be the Finals MVP I don't think LEbrons ego can cope with that.

mikantsass
02-25-2010, 03:15 PM
Im going to guess 2 out of the 3 guys stay put

calibird707
02-25-2010, 03:15 PM
Bron and amare to the knicks

NyCsPoRtS1
02-25-2010, 03:26 PM
it cud y not but i doubt it/ bosh and johnson to ny

Giaps
02-25-2010, 03:31 PM
If the Knicks can magically get rid of Curry before then, they could split $45 million instead.

JNA17
02-25-2010, 03:46 PM
If the Knicks can magically get rid of Curry before then, they could split $45 million instead.
that or curry got drunk and declined his $10+ million player option

Hawkeye15
02-25-2010, 03:49 PM
Knicks, and NBA Dynasty, do not belong in the same sentence

stripersniper77
02-25-2010, 03:49 PM
I don't think Lebron would make more money in new york if it meant taking a pay cut. I mean his endorsement deal are already huge, so he'd probably lose money.

Bucsfan
02-25-2010, 03:50 PM
it is interesting , wont happen and wouldnt want it too happen, the NBA would be extremely boring, because there would be like 3 good teams and the rest are all just watching

not fun, im sure for knicks fans its exciting, but im 99.9% sure that would never happen

WITZ
02-25-2010, 03:51 PM
Yet Another ESPN article about wade/Bron/Bosh going to the knicks its gonna break espn hearts when they have to settle for rudy gay & Amare(Or resign lee) Lol

kntresistheheat
02-25-2010, 03:53 PM
Is this guy crazy or what??? The knicks:rolleyes:

BradyIsTheMan12
02-25-2010, 03:54 PM
No way this is happening,since when do players in the NBA turn down money to play for titles?

levignjw
02-25-2010, 03:58 PM
If they all truely cared about winning more than money, than yes, it is possible. But the majority of athletes these days care about $$$$$ not rings, so highly unlikely.

RaysFan
02-25-2010, 03:59 PM
Blueprint? What? That would be like me buying a bunch of lottery tickets and saying that is my blueprint to being a millionaire. Sure, there may be a .04% chance of it happening, but it isn't a blueprint.

I think NY ends up with Joe Johnson, a Mid-level PG like Ray Felton, and a re-signed David Lee.

Anon
02-25-2010, 04:00 PM
What endorsements are they talking about? This reminds me of the underpants gnomes from south park step 1 and step 3 sound great but nobody knows what step 2 is.

BoognishMN
02-25-2010, 04:06 PM
Lebron or Wade would be chased out of the league with pitchforks and torches by the players Union if they took anything other than a max deal. The entire NBA salary structure would be skewed and cost all players alot of money. Players contracts are based on comparables.

NYK_kidd77
02-25-2010, 04:24 PM
hahaha what an insane idea stupid knick fans and their dumb hope.

Bob_at_york
02-25-2010, 04:26 PM
I doubt the player's union would allow them to do that.

dtmagnet
02-25-2010, 05:24 PM
I doubt the player's union would allow them to do that.

That's what I was thinking, they have an obligation to the Union to make as much money as they possibly can in order to drive up the market price of other players.

Pierzynski4Prez
02-25-2010, 05:31 PM
Plus they all want to win a title on their own merit. Be the guy that lead the team to the championship on their own. None of them have a small enough ego to win a title in that fashion.

ronaldsmith_86
02-25-2010, 05:34 PM
What endorsements are they talking about? This reminds me of the underpants gnomes from south park step 1 and step 3 sound great but nobody knows what step 2 is.

Great Reference! :clap:

Hustla23
02-25-2010, 05:48 PM
I don't think Lebron would make more money in new york if it meant taking a pay cut. I mean his endorsement deal are already huge, so he'd probably lose money.
Yes, Lebron would lose money by moving to the most commercialized city on Earth.

I think it's kind of insane that Lebron makes MORE money through endorsements than through his NBA contract.

It kind of shows you the power of marketing and business. Also, it nullifies the argument that the Cavs's ability to offer more years and money is a legitimate advantage for them.

IU Hoosiers 3
02-25-2010, 05:55 PM
i don't think this will happen, but i don't understand how so many people think there's no shot lebron will go play in New York..to me, its stay in cleveland or go to the knicks, doubt he'd go anywhere else.

Bob_at_york
02-25-2010, 06:44 PM
i don't think this will happen, but i don't understand how so many people think there's no shot lebron will go play in New York..to me, its stay in cleveland or go to the knicks, doubt he'd go anywhere else.

you don't think the clips are a possiblity?

magichatnumber9
02-25-2010, 07:03 PM
If those three play for a team like the Knicks it will be very bad for the NBA around this country. You think teams like to tank it. How would the league like it if fans decide to tank it for the season.

TEXASTITAN
02-25-2010, 07:06 PM
Nobody can sign lebron,wade,bosh to a higher contract than the team they are currently with. Now having said that the ONLY one of those 3 that might do that to go to a new team is bosh if you think wade or bosh are going to give up an extra 30 million to go to another team without a sign and trade think again it will never happen. And while were on the subject since new york gave all their barganing chips to the rockets in the latest trade they won't be able to give miami or cleveland what it wants in a sign and trade. So good luck with amare,joe johnson and mabye bosh but they made a HUGE gamble that lebron and wade are going to just walk away from the 30 millioin from a max contract that their current teams can offer just to go to new york. And i personally don't think it's going to pay off to be totally honest houston is in a better position to do a sign and trade for wade or lebron than new york is. Does this mean that lebron is headed to houston very very doubtful but a sign and trade with wade is a real possibility if they send those first rounders from new york along with kevin martin to miami and wade demands a trade it's a done deal. The ONLY way the knicks plan works if if they get wade and lebron bosh and wade are not enough and bosh and lebron are not enough for their gamble to work they need them both and they mortgaged the future on that gamble.

atl_braves_fan
02-25-2010, 07:35 PM
I think the Knicks have to "settle" for guys like Joe Johnson and Amare. That would still be a huge upgrade and likely a playoff team, but I really don't see LBJ, Wade, or Bosh going there. If anyone is going to move, I would think it would be Wade, but he would probably prefer a max deal from Chicago instead of the Knicks.

TEXASTITAN
02-25-2010, 07:41 PM
I think the Knicks have to "settle" for guys like Joe Johnson and Amare. That would still be a huge upgrade and likely a playoff team, but I really don't see LBJ, Wade, or Bosh going there. If anyone is going to move, I would think it would be Wade, but he would probably prefer a max deal from Chicago instead of the Knicks.

But even still do you honestly see wade walking away from 30 million from miami just to go to chicago for 30 million less? I don't see lebron or wade moving unless it's a sign and trade with someone so they don't lose out on 30 million that would be lunacy. And yeah amare and johnson are upgrades over what they have but anything less than wade and lebron is a disaster after what they gave up in the trade.

Bishnoff
02-25-2010, 07:45 PM
It would be like the Bulls of the late 90's all over again, but worse.

knickerbockerny
02-25-2010, 08:10 PM
If those three play for a team like the Knicks it will be very bad for the NBA around this country. You think teams like to tank it. How would the league like it if fans decide to tank it for the season.

Oh yeah, the Seattle Supersonics tanked it all the way to Oklahoma after they traded Ray Allen to the C's. So did Minny after their big ticket KG was traded to the C's, but you did not have a problem with that right!

Things like this happen all the time in sports. Sports players have to be some of the most rational people. When you are to loyal to a team it comes back around a bites you in the butt. Look at what happened to Ladanian Tomlinson and Big Z recently. You have to look out for self. Chris Bosh will lose out on 30 million, but corporations like Subway Sandwiches, McDonald's, Footlocker, etc will be lining up for him to endorse their products, making up the 30 million and then some.

Same with Lebron and Wade.

homestarunner93
02-25-2010, 08:23 PM
That will never happen. Just too much greed (and intelligence) to do something like that.

uws
02-25-2010, 08:35 PM
obviously this exact scenario isnt going to happen. The article says that, he just points out that it would be great if players thought in terms of winning and not money

however, anyone who thinks that $30 million is any significant amount of money compared to what these guys would make on endorsements in NYC is an idiot. When you are a superstar like Lebron or Wade, you dont make money on your salary, you make it on long term endorsements with nike, gatorade, etc. those possibilities become endless if these guys are in a major market. Big companies want guys with INTERNATIONAL marketability, no one outside the US cares about some guy playing in cleveland, but Nike et. all can make boatloads off of an international superstar which you can only be if you play in NYC or LA (maybe boston, and marginally chicago because of its basketball history). If you think $30 million will keep these guys put, you are dreaming and obviously dont understand how professional sports work

that being said, these guys will never come as a package to the knicks and at most they would get two of them. However I dont see anyone going to the clippers, because who wants to play on the 2nd rate team of the city. I dont see anyone except wade staying put, and even that is 50/50 to me

joeboow90
02-25-2010, 08:43 PM
I'd love to see it happen but Lebrons ego is way too big for that. Lebrons gonna stay in Cleveland because thats HIS team. Theres no way he could handle D-Wade getting more shine then him