PDA

View Full Version : Big Z And Wizards Reach Buyout Agreement

TheKing23
02-25-2010, 11:37 AM
Link (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=4945097)

The Washington Wizards and center Zydrunas Ilgauskas have reached an agreement on a contract buyout, The Washington Post reported, citing a person with knowledge of the situation.

The move would clear the way for Ilgauskas to eventually return to the Cavaliers, once certain conditions are met, or to join another team immediately.

ESPN The Magazine's Ric Bucher reported that Ilgauskas, who was part of a three-team trade that sent Antawn Jamison to the Cavs from Washington, already has flown back to Cleveland.

Ilgauskas' agent, Herb Rudoy, said he was "very close" to an agreement with the Wizards and expected to have it finished on Thursday, according to the Post.

If a buyout is reached with the Wizards, Ilgauskas would be placed on waivers. No team is under the salary cap enough to absorb his $11.5 million salary this season, so he would become a free agent eligible to join any team for a pro-rated share of the veteran's minimum.

Under NBA rules, Ilgauskas would have to wait 30 days to rejoin the Cavaliers, the only team he has played for in 12 NBA seasons. But he would be free to join any other team immediately and is expected to draw interest from Dallas, Denver, Atlanta and Utah.

"I expect him to decide by the end of the weekend," Rudoy said in a text message to the Post.

An NBA official, speaking on condition of anonymity, told The Associated Press on Monday that the league had not threatened to stop Ilgauskas from returning to the Cavs, saying it would only step in if there were proof of an agreement before the trade was made.

Last season, Antonio McDyess went back to Detroit after the Pistons dealt him to Denver along with Chauncey Billups for Allen Iverson, and players such as Brent Barry (San Antonio) and Gary Payton (Boston) also have returned to clubs that dealt them in recent seasons.

redsox0717
02-25-2010, 11:40 AM
Shocker

king4day
02-25-2010, 12:20 PM
I bet the Nets will be his first choice.
BTW, king23, your sig is awesome!!

Raph12
02-25-2010, 12:36 PM
Well now it'll be upto Dallas/Denver/Atlanta to try to pry him away from Cleveland before the 30 days are up.

JNA17
02-25-2010, 12:40 PM
double post my bad

JNA17
02-25-2010, 12:40 PM
Well now it'll be upto Dallas/Denver/Atlanta to try to pry him away from Cleveland before the 30 days are up.

lakers could use him too, we need dj mbenga to continue warming up the bench :D

Raph12
02-25-2010, 12:54 PM
lakers could use him too, we need dj mbenga to continue warming up the bench :D

Doubt he'll leave Cleveland, the guy has been there since 1996...

ragee
02-25-2010, 01:09 PM
WTF?! That is not fair!!! Hahaha... He is going back to the Cavs, right? I am sure this was part of the deal... Nicely done Ferry... I am still hoping the Magic can beat the Cavs though... :cool:

wsullivan
02-25-2010, 01:24 PM
just wondering...
If he goes back to the cavs, he is going to see a lot less minutes. becasue he has to share time with Shaq, Varejao, Hickson and now Jamison, he might want to sign to another title competitor so he can get more minutes

ragee
02-25-2010, 01:31 PM
just wondering...
If he goes back to the cavs, he is going to see a lot less minutes. becasue he has to share time with Shaq, Varejao, Hickson and now Jamison, he might want to sign to another title competitor so he can get more minutes

I hope you're right... Maybe to the Mavs?! :D

wsullivan
02-25-2010, 01:33 PM
I hope you're right... Maybe to the Mavs?! :D
ha maybe.. Do you think he would start there??
I was thinking maybe to Atlanta...

mser58
02-25-2010, 01:42 PM
Big z to philly for no reason!

ragee
02-25-2010, 01:59 PM
ha maybe.. Do you think he would start there??
I was thinking maybe to Atlanta...

I don't know... We are really loving Haywood right now... You a big fan of Z? If you want him to be a starter, maybe Atlanta is the place... Put Horford back to the pf position and Smith back to the sf... That would be a very strong front court... If you want him to win a championship, I think he has a better chance with the Mavs...

Raph12
02-25-2010, 02:43 PM
He could come to Orlando! Playing the 4 with Dwight at center could damn near guarantee them the return trip to the Finals lol... I doubt he leaves a city he's lived in for 14+years, for a couple of more minutes and millions.

He'd fit in a lot of places, but he's been a loyal guy to Cleveland for years and I'm 99.9% sure he'll go back.

dnnug
02-25-2010, 02:45 PM
[QUOTE][/"There hasn't been a day go by that I haven't heard from Mark (Warkentien, the Nuggets vice president of basketball operations)," said Herb Rudoy, Ilgauskas' agent. "He had a great relationship with 'Z' (back in Cleveland). Mark has been very aggressive to convince me to convince 'Z'.

Read more: http://www.denverpost.com/nuggets/ci_14463121#ixzz0gaAkTf4V
QUOTE]

The Nuggets have a coveted facet to this deal, too the biannual exception, which pays a player $1.99 million. That's what Denver would use on the center, if the center agrees to sign with Nuggets, the No. 2 team in the Western Conference

Read more: http://www.denverpost.com/nuggets/ci_14463121#ixzz0gaAvUNK2

other then the obvious Cleveland return, Denver should be considered a strong option for Big Z as he a a history with Warkentien when he was in Cleveland and also have to most $$ to offer of any team interested in him.

ko8e24
02-25-2010, 02:48 PM
blah! what's new. Forget the 30 days, let him just sign on with is beloved cavs so we can end all this stupid crap and speculation, lol

Raph12
02-25-2010, 02:53 PM
[QUOTE][/"There hasn't been a day go by that I haven't heard from Mark (Warkentien, the Nuggets vice president of basketball operations)," said Herb Rudoy, Ilgauskas' agent. "He had a great relationship with 'Z' (back in Cleveland). Mark has been very aggressive to convince me to convince 'Z'.

QUOTE]

The Nuggets have a coveted facet to this deal, too the biannual exception, which pays a player $1.99 million. That's what Denver would use on the center, if the center agrees to sign with Nuggets, the No. 2 team in the Western Conference

other then the obvious Cleveland return, Denver should be considered a strong option for Big Z as he a a history with Warkentien when he was in Cleveland and also have to most $$ to offer of any team interested in him.

Uh the Hawks have their MLE ($5.9m), a starting position, a bigger role and more minutes to offer.

But yeah, a personal relationship with him is pretty big too... Idk, I don't see him leaving Cleveland, many feel he's that final piece to put them over the hump.

akay47
02-25-2010, 02:59 PM
He's going nowhere man, Cleveland is his home and I'd be shocked if he were to leave

TheKing23
02-25-2010, 03:10 PM

QUOTE]

The Cavs can also offer him the bi-annual.

reffahead
02-25-2010, 04:42 PM
Wish he would go to Atlanta, would make the playoffs that much more exciting. He's not getting any meaningful minutes in the playoffs. Varajeo is getting atleast 60% of the Center minutes and Shaq has been more productive than Z and it's Shaqs last season pretty much.

RaiderLakersA's
02-25-2010, 05:31 PM
blah! what's new. Forget the 30 days, let him just sign on with is beloved cavs so we can end all this stupid crap and speculation, lol

Couldn't agree more. It makes for a nice vacation for Big Z, though.

Tribe
02-25-2010, 08:47 PM
March 21st...Big Z comes home...!!!

Kakaroach
02-25-2010, 08:49 PM
Big Z is going to back to Cleveland, no doubt.