PDA

View Full Version : Caron Butler: Kobe Made Me A Better Player

ko8e24
02-24-2010, 09:04 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/dallas/nba/news/story?id=4942721

DALLAS -- Caron Butler will be going toe to toe Wednesday night with Kobe Bryant, whom the new Dallas Mavericks guard credits with helping make him an All-Star.

Butler played the 2004-05 season with the Los Angeles Lakers, but he firmly believes that the lessons he learned from Bryant while there played a major role in his development.

"That was the best thing that ever could have happened for me personally for my career," said Butler, who joined the Mavericks as part of a seven-player trade with the Washington Wizards on Feb. 13. "To play alongside a guy like that, see his preparation and what it takes to get to that level, that's why I was able to be so good in Washington. I took everything I learned from him, being under his wing, and took that to Washington and it made me very successful."

Butler, who made the Eastern Conference All-Star team in 2007 while with the Wizards, said he still talks to Bryant every week or two.

He said he watched Bryant's work ethic and learned. He saw how Kobe got to the gym early in the morning and stayed late, how he studied film and prepared for opponents, how he trained during the offseason and used it as the pattern for his schedule.

Butler said he'll put his friendship aside for a couple of hours during Wednesday night's game, and he knows Bryant will do the same.

"He's going to bring it," Butler said. "And then he'll hug me afterwards. That's how he is."

ChiSox219
02-24-2010, 09:07 PM
Wow, how cool is this? Kobe is tHA bestest EVA!

drose231
02-24-2010, 09:07 PM
and you ****ing complain about topics about derrick rose? this is just as ****ing bad. we hear enough about your golden child kobe bryant here. some laker fans like you can't even come to terms with lebron being better, despite all stats pointing at it. we dont need to hear kobe dick sucking. post this is the mavs or lakers forum.

Duncan = Donkey
02-24-2010, 09:08 PM
lol, this is a perfect example of what should be in a team forum. Put this in the Mavs or Lakers Forum. no one cares

bigsams50
02-24-2010, 09:10 PM
If you dont like the topic dont post in it.

As for the article, who hasnt Kobe made better lol

phlp_bj
02-24-2010, 09:15 PM
kwame brown. once a kwame, always a kwame

Raph12
02-24-2010, 09:26 PM
All this reminds me of is Smush Parker, whatever happened to that guy.

MTar786
02-24-2010, 09:34 PM
lebron and kobe haters please dont post here. This is fine in the nba forum. its one nba player speaking of another. Caron is showing a little thing called respect. something some of you guys who post here should learn.

Chronz
02-24-2010, 10:02 PM
Why do people need to see players come in early to know that its probably a good idea to get in as much practice and training as possible. Hes either not telling us what Kobe really did to improve his game, trying to create hype or hes really stupid. Seriously basketball isnt rocket science. The more you work the better you get, NO ****IN ****.

HouRealCoach
02-24-2010, 10:06 PM
Caron is just trying to get on Kobe's good side so he wont drop 60 tonight! LMAO

dtmagnet
02-24-2010, 10:08 PM
Isn't that sweet?

Southsideheat
02-24-2010, 10:12 PM
"He's going to bring it," Butler said. "And then he'll hug me afterwards. That's how he is."

That's funny, that woman in Denver said the same thing.

Statik1
02-24-2010, 10:16 PM
kwame brown. once a kwame, always a kwame

Only Jesus could turn water into wine....

Only Mitch Kupchak could trade Kwame Brown for Pau Gasol.

:D

Jaji
02-24-2010, 10:17 PM
lebron and kobe haters please dont post here. This is fine in the nba forum. its one nba player speaking of another. Caron is showing a little thing called respect. something some of you guys who post here should learn.

I like this post :clap:.

Jaji
02-24-2010, 10:20 PM

Oh there was no hugging after that. It was "B!tch get outta my room!" Then she left and laid like 3 other guys on her way to the doctor.

Jack of Blades
02-24-2010, 10:22 PM

Ayo!

Purple&Gold24
02-24-2010, 10:26 PM
:clap: Thats riight

JNA17
02-24-2010, 10:28 PM
not surprising

smith&wesson
02-24-2010, 10:31 PM
and you ****ing complain about topics about derrick rose? this is just as ****ing bad. we hear enough about your golden child kobe bryant here. some laker fans like you can't even come to terms with lebron being better, despite all stats pointing at it. we dont need to hear kobe dick sucking. post this is the mavs or lakers forum.

OK OK .. i see what this is about. lets see if i can make you feel better.

i play ball in a recreation centre, and watching derrick rose has made me a better player.

is that good ? or panties still in a bunch ??
:laugh:

by the way ... you don't get considered the best player in the nba because of stats. stats do not tell all. kobe bryant is still the best player in the nba right now. 4 rings and still going. let lebron win a ring first then you can mention him in the same gasp of air. untill then lebron remains a great player with no rings. that to me does not make him the best player in the league. he has to get it done first. at least once.

amos1er
02-24-2010, 10:54 PM
But BSPN will still say that Lebronze makes his teammates better than Kobe does even though Mo Williams used to average 7 assists per game and now averages 3 with stat padder Lebron and Big Z used to average 8 rebounds and now only averages 5 with stat padder Lebron. :rolleyes:

drose231
02-24-2010, 11:06 PM
OK OK .. i see what this is about. lets see if i can make you feel better.

i play ball in a recreation centre, and watching derrick rose has made me a better player.

is that good ? or panties still in a bunch ??
:laugh:

by the way ... you don't get considered the best player in the nba because of stats. stats do not tell all. kobe bryant is still the best player in the nba right now. 4 rings and still going. let lebron win a ring first then you can mention him in the same gasp of air. untill then lebron remains a great player with no rings. that to me does not make him the best player in the league. he has to get it done first. at least once.

What an obsolete and idiotic argument. Kobe played with Shaq in his prime, who is arguably the greatest player of all time. He won three rings with him. He won his other ring with one of the best players in the league, Pau Gasol, and a lot of other great players. Who has LeBron had? Shaq way past his prime? Big Z? Give me a break, Kobe's supporting cast is light years ahead of the Cavs, yet LeBron is still leading the Cavs to a better record. LeBron is the better player. period.

ko8e24
02-24-2010, 11:15 PM
Caron Butler credited Kobe for his much improved game over the years.

How did names like LeBron James, Derrick Rose, Shaquille O'Neal, Zydrunas Ilgauskas, Mo Williams, Pau Gasol, and that colorado whore get into this conversation? :confused:

All of you people are ridiculous! :facepalm:

amos1er
02-24-2010, 11:16 PM
What an obsolete and idiotic argument. Kobe played with Shaq in his prime, who is arguably the greatest player of all time. He won three rings with him. He won his other ring with one of the best players in the league, Pau Gasol, and a lot of other great players. Who has LeBron had? Shaq way past his prime? Big Z? Give me a break, Kobe's supporting cast is light years ahead of the Cavs, yet LeBron is still leading the Cavs to a better record. LeBron is the better player. period.

:facepalm: You cretin...you have just proven the point of this thread...Pau is one of the best players in the league thanks to Kobe. 2/3 of his all-star appearances have come playing along side Kobe. Pau never won a play-off game before he played with Kobe. His first year playing with Kobe which was half a season, he went to the finals, then won a ring the following year. All Lebron does is pad stats...every player that he has played with has had a significant reduction in their stats in order to help boost Lebrons. What good does averaging 7 rebounds and 7 assists when it comes at the expense of the other players on your team. He is literally stealing stats from his teammates. I don't think that is the ingredient that will help him win a ring. So he will remain......a king without a ring.

drose231
02-24-2010, 11:24 PM
:facepalm: You cretin...you have just proven the point of this thread...Pau is one of the best players in the league thanks to Kobe. 2/3 of his all-star appearances have come playing along side Kobe. Pau never won a play-off game before he played with Kobe. His first year playing with Kobe which was half a season, he went to the finals, then won a ring the following year. All Lebron does is pad stats...every player that he has played with has had a significant reduction in their stats in order to help boost Lebrons. What good does averaging 7 rebounds and 7 assists when it comes at the expense of the other players on your team. He is literally stealing stats from his teammates. I don't think that is the ingredient that will help him win a ring. So he will remain......a king without a ring.

Did you honestly use all-star game appearances as justification? What a complete joke. He carried a terrible Memphis team to the playoffs, and his stats are basically identical, except he averaged more points in Memphis. Of course he went to the finals when he was paired with Kobe. They are two of the best players in the league.

I could say the same about Kobe. Kobe's first year with Pau, he went to the finals. That is Pau's doing, apparently. When did Kobe go to the finals without Shaq or Pau? Oh yeah, never. I guess by your logic, that means Pau and Shaq are the reason.

Yeah, LeBron is "stat padding". The stats he gets are useless. They aren't helping his team get the best record in the league at all. :rolleyes:

Your argument is just ridiculous and I'm sure most intelligent Laker fans would be embarrassed by it.

_KB24_
02-24-2010, 11:26 PM
I'm saying this right here......

Butler for Kwame Brown was a more worse trade than the Pau Gasol deal.

We gave away a future ALL Star for a pack of "Butterfingers"

While we still gave away some potential valuable assets in the Gasol trade.....

GCOOKIE7
02-24-2010, 11:32 PM
It was actually a difference of 3 rebounds and Mo Williams only plays a different role because Lebronze is a greedy stat whore and wants to play point guard on offense to horde assists and play in the post on defense to milk extra rebounds.

Nike knew that he would never be a better scorer, defender, game closer, or harder worker than Kobe, so they encouraged the Cavs franchise to build a team around him to average 7 and 7 and to get triple doubles.

They have the best record the past 2 years because of his stat padding...

Wanna' look at a stat whore, look at Kobe a few years ago when he didn't have good players around him.

_KB24_
02-24-2010, 11:37 PM
They have the best record the past 2 years because of his stat padding...

Wanna' look at a stat whore, look at Kobe a few years ago when he didn't have good players around him.

:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

bal_ravens
02-24-2010, 11:46 PM
After this game, maybe Butler should help him out with his decision making!

amos1er
02-24-2010, 11:47 PM
Did you honestly use all-star game appearances as justification? What a complete joke. He carried a terrible Memphis team to the playoffs, and his stats are basically identical, except he averaged more points in Memphis. Of course he went to the finals when he was paired with Kobe. They are two of the best players in the league.

I could say the same about Kobe. Kobe's first year with Pau, he went to the finals. That is Pau's doing, apparently. When did Kobe go to the finals without Shaq or Pau? Oh yeah, never. I guess by your logic, that means Pau and Shaq are the reason.

Yeah, LeBron is "stat padding". The stats he gets are useless. They aren't helping his team get the best record in the league at all. :rolleyes:

Your argument is just ridiculous and I'm sure most intelligent Laker fans would be embarrassed by it.

LMAO......The best record thanks to the fact that he plays in the weakest Eastern Conference in league history. :rolleyes: Every time he is matched against against a good team in the playoffs, he either gets swept (San Antonio 2007), or gets nearly swept (Orlando 2009). :facepalm:

Lebron plays against sub .500 teams 30 more times per season than the Lakers do. Not to mention that he only has 5 back to backs to 12 for the Lakers this year. Despite all of these advantages, he only got one more win last year than the Lakers, and is currently only a 1/2 game ahead of the Lakers.

If "The Lebrons" were in the west, they would be lucky to win 52 games. If the Lakers were in the east, they would be contending with the record the 97 Bulls set. ;)

drose231
02-24-2010, 11:47 PM
Neither of them are stat whores IMO. Kobe had to score all those points back then, simply because he didn't have many good players around him. LeBron doesn't have any truly great players around him either, but he still manages to put up great stats and lead his team to a great record. The LeBron stat padding argument is so dumb. He averages 7 assists per game, so he is clearly making his teammates better. He is also leading his team to the best record in the league, so call it whatever the hell you want, but it is obviously working.

drose231
02-24-2010, 11:52 PM
LMAO......The best record thanks to the fact that he plays in the weakest Eastern Conference in league history. :rolleyes: Every time he is matched against against a good team in the playoffs, he either gets swept (San Antonio 2007), or gets nearly swept (Orlando 2009). :facepalm:

Lebron plays against sub .500 teams 30 more times per season than the Lakers do. Not to mention that he only has 5 back to backs to 12 for the Lakers this year. Yet he only got one more win last year than the Lakers, and is currently only a 1/2 game ahead of the Lakers.

If "The Lebrons" were in the west, they would be lucky to win 52 games. If the Lakers were in the east, they would be contending with the record the 97 Bulls set. ;)
Did you see who he had on his fricken 2007 team? His 2nd best player was probably Larry Hughes. That team was complete trash. That was even worse than Kobe's 2006 team, yet he STILL lead them to the finals.

You just can't come to the realization that Kobe has had MUCH better teams around him. It is completely obvious. LeBron has done amazingly considering the circumstances he is surrounded with.

Oh yeah, and the ever so lucky "LeBron's" are 2-0 against your Lakers. But yeah, the team is just lucky. Your argument is terrible kid.

MTar786
02-25-2010, 12:25 AM
Did you see who he had on his fricken 2007 team? His 2nd best player was probably Larry Hughes. That team was complete trash. That was even worse than Kobe's 2006 team, yet he STILL lead them to the finals.

You just can't come to the realization that Kobe has had MUCH better teams around him. It is completely obvious. LeBron has done amazingly considering the circumstances he is surrounded with.

Oh yeah, and the ever so lucky "LeBron's" are 2-0 against your Lakers. But yeah, the team is just lucky. Your argument is terrible kid.

LOL.. u actually care about season games? if u were a lakers fan ud be more worried about the playoffs

drose231
02-25-2010, 12:30 AM
LOL.. u actually care about season games? if u were a lakers fan ud be more worried about the playoffs

My god, read the context of it... He was saying how much easier the Cavs have it than the Lakers and that's why they have a better record. I posted that in reply. It shows that they don't only beat pushovers.

So regular season games don't matter? Yeah bro, who cares about good seeding. The Lakers weren't trying in that game anyway. Dey only do it in da playoffs~~~

It's disgusting how I used to want LeBron to lose so he doesn't eclipse Jordan's image, but now I want him to beat Kobe in the finals just because of how ridiculous a handful of Lakers fans are on this forum. I used to like Kobe a lot more.

Mavrix
02-25-2010, 12:31 AM
Too bad he didn't play tonight, otherwise it would be Mavs up by double digits.

still1ballin
02-25-2010, 12:52 AM

:laugh2: Someone is cocky.

Fool
02-25-2010, 01:12 AM

LOL what?

bal_ravens
02-25-2010, 01:17 AM
^ I understood it. Lol, pretty much is saying we have WAY too many Kobe threads, yet people complain about Rose threads being everywhere.

akay47
02-25-2010, 01:18 AM
I love Caron Butler's game, I wish the Cavs would've picked him up

Cowboys123456
02-25-2010, 01:23 AM
My god, read the context of it... He was saying how much easier the Cavs have it than the Lakers and that's why they have a better record. I posted that in reply. It shows that they don't only beat pushovers.

So regular season games don't matter? Yeah bro, who cares about good seeding. The Lakers weren't trying in that game anyway. Dey only do it in da playoffs~~~

It's disgusting how I used to want LeBron to lose so he doesn't eclipse Jordan's image, but now I want him to beat Kobe in the finals just because of how ridiculous a handful of Lakers fans are on this forum. I used to like Kobe a lot more.

Since this guy took the thread and changed to topic to Kobe vs lbj I was thinking...... What about bosh

He is pretty good. And u know I can't get enough of people ignoring him.

He is like the other two very tall and can even dunk!!

I wonder when this thread will b closed???

Chronz
02-25-2010, 01:23 AM
But BSPN will still say that Lebronze makes his teammates better than Kobe does even though Mo Williams used to average 7 assists per game and now averages 3 with stat padder Lebron and Big Z used to average 8 rebounds and now only averages 5 with stat padder Lebron. :rolleyes:

How to spot a homer
BSPN reference : Check
Weak statistical analysis : Check

Fool
02-25-2010, 01:29 AM
^ I understood it. Lol, pretty much is saying we have WAY too many Kobe threads, yet people complain about Rose threads being everywhere.

I understood that part, but the dude who started the thread had not mentioned LeBron at all, and then suddenly drose is attacking the guy for "not coming to terms with Lebron>>>Kobe"

MTar786
02-25-2010, 01:52 AM

OH NO!! the big bad PSDers made u not like kobe anymore lol. if u havent noticed teams play their hardest in the playoffs through the years then u havent watched the nba. Reg season wins mean NOTHING. seeding isnt even that important. Whats the point of giving ur all in the season and risking injury pre playoffs? why would u want to run plays that u would in the playoffs now rather than then? so u could show them ur plans for the playoffs? uh no

MTar786
02-25-2010, 01:56 AM

U honestly feel u deserve to talk when u guys lost by like 40 to us this season?

seriously dude, u need to learn to stop boasting about ur reg season wins over the lakers. try to do something in the playoffs

Wilson
02-25-2010, 02:04 AM
This thread went completely off-topic...