PDA

View Full Version : Mock Deadline Playoffs - #3 New Orleans Hornets vs #6 Dallas Mavericks

BlondeBomber41
02-24-2010, 05:06 PM
This season we did a mock trade deadline in which users on this site took over as GM's of every team in the NBA. The goal was to improve your team the most before the real life trade deadline. The users then voted on playoff seedings of the other conference, and now its up to you to vote for who wins each matchup.

Please remember that this is just a game and there is no reason to vote for a team just because thats actually your favorite team in real life. Everybody worked really hard on their teams and it's only fair that you judge each team based on that teams talent, not that teams name.

At the bottom each team has sent in a write up explaining why they feel they would win the series. Please read each writeup before you make your decision, to be fair to the GM's who wrote it.

New Orleans has the homecourt advantage due to being the higher seed.

New Orleans Hornets Lineup:

C: Emeka Okafor/ Nick Collison/ Josh Boone
PF: Josh Smith/ Darius Songalia/ Ike Diogu
SF: Danny Granger/Devin Brown/
SG: Ray Allen/ Rashad McCants/ Eddie House
PG: Mike Bibby/ Louis Williams

Dallas Mavericks Lineup:

PG: Steve Nash/Randy Foye/Sasha Vujacic
SG: Aaron Afflalo/Jason Terry/Jason Kapono
SF: Caron Butler/Al Thornton/Vladamir Radmonovic/Malik Hairston
PF: Pau Gasol/Juwan Howard/James Singleton
C: Brad Miller/Dan Gradzuric

New Orleans Hornets Writeup:

PG- Mike Bibby v. Steve Nash

Alright… Steve Nash. Great Player on the offensive side. Obviously better than Bibby... offensively. Alright. So basically. Nash is a great offensive point guard…. But he sucks monkey balls on defense. Bibby has always been a great and prolific 3 point shooter and against Nash, I think he’ll have plenty of open looks. Bibby is great for my team as he is not turnover prone, a smart player, a good distributor and a decent defender. He won’t shut down Nash but he’d keep him in check I believe and force Nash into his usual 4 TOs per game. But yeah, no doubt, Nash wins this matchup but I believe Bibby’s high BB IQ, defense and 3 point shooting makes this a closer matchup then one might think.

SG- Ray Allen v. Aaron Affalo

Right. Ray Allen = Best Shooter of the decade, good TEAM defender with the championship pedigree. Affalo = Nice young defender who has yet to be playoff tested. Needless to say I have the advantage here. Affalo will have his hands full guarding Ray Ray and regardless I think Jesus will get his usual points in this matchup. He’s a great complement to Danny Granger, you can’t double Danny unless you want a wide open Ray behind the arc. I WINZ this MATCHUPZ

SF- Danny Granger v. Caron Butler

Two really good small forwards in this matchup. But Danny Granger has to got to have the edge in this matchup. He has a great inside-outside game, is a top-notch defender, and is a superb rebounder. Plus he has a decent size advantage over Caron and I think he’ll bully Butler down low in this matchup and get his points. On the other side, his length will again help him, and possibly make a nonfactor out of Caron who has ONLY been averaging 14.4 points per game on 37% shooting with 2.4 turnovers. Caron is a good defender but again, Granger is a skilled, polished offensive force and will get his points whether it’s behind the arc, midrange or in the paint.

PF- Josh Smith v. Pau Gasol

Pau is a great power forward. But then again, Josh Smith is one of the best defenders at the power forward position. Additionally, I am not sold on Gasol’s toughness. He’s rather soft and Smith will exploit that, frequently forcing Gasol into bad shots outside the paint. Rebounding wise, I think this matchup is pretty even with Gasol’s height balancing out with Smith’s tenacity and toughness. Offensively, Josh Smith has developed into one of the most efficient PFs in the league and with Gasol at best, a decent defender, Smith will have no trouble scoring. I say Gasol has the slight advantage on this matchup but it’s very very close.

C- Emeka Okafor v. Brad Miller
LOLZ. Big strong Meka v. Washed up, jump shooting white man. Meka will dominate Miller on the boards, and will anchor our defense. He will control the paint on the defensive end since the Mavs have no great rebounder, or toughness in their starting big men. Miller should not start on a playoff team and Okafor will exploit this. This matchup will allow us to win the battle of the boards and the paint.

Bench PG- Louis Williams v. Randy Foye
Both are good backup point guards to have, but Lou Will has to have the edge here. He’s too fast for Foye and while he gives up some inches and pounds to Foye, he overall is the better scorer and defender. I got this matchup

Bench SG- Rashad McCants v. Jason Terry
Both are good scorers and neither plays much defense. McCants has the size advantage but Terry’s significantly faster. Terry wins this matchup since he’s the better scorer and has more playoff experience.

Bench SF- Devin Brown v. Al Thornton
Devin Brown is a very underated player. He’s a good defender, scorer and hard worker. He has the size and work ethic to matchup with Thornton defensively. On the other hand, Thornton is a very bad defender and Brown who has averaged 9 ppg a game will have his way with Thornton. I think win this matchup.

Bench PF- Darius Songalia v. Juwan Howard
Juwad Howard is a bit washed up… to say the least. Songalia on the other hand is a spry young lad (hehe) with a knack for scoring. He will provide my offensive bench down low from my bench and with his 7 foot frame, have his will with Howard down low. However that said, Howard is the better defender, but nonetheless overall Songalia is the better player.

Bench C- Nick Collison v. Dan Gadzuric
Gadzuric gets 9 minutes on the lotto-bound Bucks averaging an impressive 2 ppg and 2 rpg. He’ll do great backing up Brad Miller who’s not to good to begin with… Point is, their center position is very lacking and Collison a nice bruiser off the bench will overpower Gadzuric and again win the battle of boards for me.

CONCLUSION:
In this matchup I obviously win the battle of rebounds. My big men with the help of Danny Granger will outrebound this Mavericks team by a significant margin. The better rebounding team usually wins the game. Furthermore, the Mavs are a very turnover prone starting with their point guard who averages a hefty 3.8 turnovers per game. Simply put, my team is the better rebounding and ball handling team. With my explosive wings (Ray Allen, Danny Granger, Rashad McCants, Louis Williams) my team will exploit this advantage of ball possession and put points on the board. Another point of concern for the Mavericks is the lack of a go-to scorer. Nash has never been the number 1 option on a team before and he will probably have to be. I doubt he’d thrive in that role and if he assumes it he will not carry it out effectively and will pile up the turnovers. Or they can go with Pau Gasol. Last time he was the number one option, his team was swept in the 1st round like a 3 times in a row. He is not a number 1 option on a contender Neither is Caron Butler who has been shooting 37% from the field this season. Furthermore I have homefield in this matchup. All signs point to a decisive Hornets victory.

Dallas Mavericks Writeup:
PG: Steve Nash VS Mike Bibby
The mavs win this by a large margin. Nash is a premier offensive PG. top 2 or 3 in the league without question on the offensive end. His defense is somewhat suspect, but Bibby is a pretty bad defender himself. At this point in his career, bibby is pretty much a spot up shooter offensively, while Nash is still a playmaker. nash is more than capable of defending a jump shooting bibby,

SG: Arron Afflalo/Jason Terry VS Ray Allen
Allen is one of the greatest shooters in NBA history. But this is not the ray allen of old. He's shooting 34% from 3,which is pathetic considering in real life how teams are now double teaming Pierce a lot more his ball handling skills, his ability to take the ball to the hole, and his defense have all dropped off a bit. Afflalo is one of the better defenders at the 2 guard spot in the league, but he is a vastly underrated offensively. as the 5th option on the nuggets he averages 9 PPG on 48% from the field and 45% from 3. he is able to knock down open shots off of nash's penetration, but is also able to get to the rack at a fairly good rate. Allen is the better player, but Afflalo is a great matchup here we also have Terry who will be getting a good 30+ min. Terry, like Nash, is just way too fast for the Hornets defense When terry is in the game, all bets are off for a defensive lockdown for either side, and both players will score a lot. The affalo/terry combo makes it a wash.

SF: Caron Butler VS Danny Granger
Granger is a great young player and he is the consesus choice here, but butler is also a great player. When motivated, butler is an above average defender. on the offensive end, butler is a legit 1st option and will be playing as 3rd option so he wont have to force shots like he did in Washington. He led a wizards team to the playoffs on his back a couple years ago. hes a great slasher, who will drive to the hoop and and average over 20 points on a constant basis. most importantly, butler is clutch. he has the most buzzer beating game winning shots among active players in the last 5 years. We wont argue that Granger wont do the same thing either, but Danny boy has been known to be a bit of a chucker. He's throwing up over 7 3's a game and only makes 2.5, that to go along with 19 FGA's per game.

PF: Pau Gasol VS Josh Smith
Pau is one of the best PFs in the game. he is up there on a level close to dirk or duncan. in the post, there aren't many big men who can hold their own against pau gasol. People forget what Gasol can be when he's the main guy. Remember how dominant he was in Memphis? He was a 20/10 player. Smith is a great defender no doubt, but gasol has 3 inches and 15 pounds on smith that he can use to his advantage on both ends of the court. Smith is going to have a tough time blocking that stuff.u without kobe in the lineup he has averaged 18.4 PPG and 12.4 RPG this season.

C: Brad Miller VS Emeka Okafor
Okafor is the better player, but miller is a matchup problem for okafor. Miller can stretch the floor and shoot jumpers and 3's and pull okafor out of the post which he is uncomfortable, opening up the paint for pau to go to work. Miller has 2.5 inches and 10 lb on Meka. Miller also has the experience of someone who has gone deep into the playoffs and knows how to play unselfish team ball

Bench: Randy Foye/Jason Terry/Al Thornton VS Lou Williams, Nick Collison, Rashard McCants
Off the bench the mavs have a ton of fire power. foye, terry, and thornton can all get to the hole at will. Kapono can get the clutch 3, and Gadzuric has great defense, to stop their bigs. foye and terry also bring the outside game that stretches the D. foye and terry have the advantage over lou will and mccants while thornton is also a better overall player than collison

all in all, its a close series, but every starter on the mavericks, and many of the bench players have made the playoffs, and 4 out of 5, and made the conference finals or better. Our players mesh better and have the experience necessary to beat the hornets.

MilwaukeeBAller
02-24-2010, 05:10 PM
I'm not a fan of the Hornets at all, so I went Mavs. Way better bench as well.

Sportfan
02-24-2010, 05:11 PM
I want eveyone to know that terry will get the majority time at SG. Like 30 min. Affalo is just starting to shut down Allen

DaddyCool
02-24-2010, 05:13 PM
I want eveyone to know that terry will get the majority time at SG. Like 30 min. Affalo is just starting to shut down Allen

Good luck to you too...

astrosmaniac
02-24-2010, 05:14 PM
good luck to the hornets

and no matter how bad you think nash is defensively, if you think he cant guard a spot up 3 point shooting bibby, then you really need to watch him play

JNA17
02-24-2010, 05:18 PM
hornets on this one

Tblaze
02-24-2010, 05:19 PM
Wow, the hornets have 2 Danny Grangers on their team!!!!

Sportfan
02-24-2010, 05:24 PM
I love how the hornets make fun of my #1 options, who've at least made the playoffs unlike Granger who hasnt gotten out of the lottery, or allen who couldnt carry his Sonics during his prime years.

clehmun
02-24-2010, 05:45 PM
mavs got this. i personally don't like how hornets are built.

3 perimeter "shoot-first, penetrate-last" type players, and two good but undersized bigman. JSmith is undersized against top PFs which gasol is. and okafor is better suited at PF (if he has a better jumper).
how are bibby and ray allen gona get their wide open threes without joe johnson, or rondo, pierce's penetrating and feeding them? no one on the hornets demand a constant double team, so his spot up shooters won't get that many open shots. By constant double teams, i'm talking about guys like LBJ, Kobe, Melo, Shaq, DHow, etc, guys you HAVE TO double. Granger and smith might need a little bit of double teaming, but they're not as threatening on offense as those guys are, and grangers not a good passer.

i personally like granger as a fantasy player, not real life. he shoots 7 3s a game, and 40% from the field, that looks ugly if he's your first scoring option on offense.

nash + gasol is a great combo. butlers a very good complement. and mavs have a much deeper team and bench.

Ragun
02-24-2010, 06:17 PM
hornets. GM of the game.

Sportfan
02-24-2010, 06:38 PM
hornets. GM of the game.
DC did a great job with the hornets but GM of the game? West is better than Smith and Paul and the other stuff he traded is equal to Granger and Allen. He did add nice peces like Lou Will and Bibby but theres better canidates for GMOTY (hint hint warriors)

DaddyCool
02-24-2010, 06:57 PM
Smith > West IMO.

Tblaze
02-24-2010, 07:19 PM
I think the Mavs match up better in this one.

Bibby won't be able to stop Nash
Okafor can't exploit the big weakness of Dallas that is Brad Miller
Gasol will school Smith with his postmoves
Also the fact the 1-2-3 are all jumpshooters for Hornets while their bigs don't have a postgame that requires any kind of double team to stretch the floor for the shooters...
I really don't like the Dallas team that much, but they match up very well to the hornets.

DaddyCool
02-24-2010, 07:22 PM
Granger has a good inside game. He'd stay close to the paint on offense in this matchup.

Sportfan
02-24-2010, 07:53 PM
Smith > West IMO.
West has a much better post game than smith, and is doing well right now without Paul.

Granger has a good inside game. He'd stay close to the paint on offense in this matchup.

I doubt it, considering he's been chucking up more than 7 3's a game this season

DaddyCool
02-24-2010, 07:54 PM
West has a much better post game than smith, and is doing well right now without Paul.

I doubt it, considering he's been chucking up more than 7 3's a game this season

That's Jim O'Brien's perojative more than it is Granger's. Granger has a nice inside-outside game if you've seen him play.

And I'll take Smith, who's more efficent on offense and is the way better defender.

Sportfan
02-24-2010, 07:58 PM
That's Jim O'Brien's perojative more than it is Granger's. Granger has a nice inside-outside game if you've seen him play.

And I'll take Smith, who's more efficent on offense and is the way better defender.
It's pretty easy to be really efficent when you're playing with JJ Horford and Marv

DaddyCool
02-24-2010, 08:00 PM
JerzeyFresh why the **** did you click Gms click here... You're not a GM of one of the two competing teams... And J-Smoove is the 2nd option of that team behind JJ easily... so don't knokw what your talking about.

Tblaze
02-24-2010, 08:02 PM
JerzeyFresh why the **** did you click Gms click here... You're not a GM of one of the two competing teams... And J-Smoove is the 2nd option of that team behind JJ easily... so don't knokw what your talking about.

Well it says "GM's click here" and he is one.. so I could understand his mistake

jimbobjarree
02-24-2010, 08:03 PM
haha didnt you make that smooth move in my match up t blaze?

Tblaze
02-24-2010, 08:07 PM
haha didnt you make that smooth move in my match up t blaze?

:dance: yeah I'm AWESOME

That's why I'm sticking up for him :facepalm:

DaddyCool
02-24-2010, 08:09 PM
Who's VIP?

roshan3ai
02-24-2010, 08:27 PM
It's pretty easy to be really efficent when you're playing with JJ Horford and Marv

dont forget crawford

DaddyCool
02-24-2010, 08:42 PM
Moar votez

Sportfan
02-24-2010, 09:35 PM
moar votez
+1

A.Mopp
02-24-2010, 09:45 PM
im torn on who to vote for here

astrosmaniac
02-24-2010, 09:51 PM
mavs ;)

TmacBryant
02-24-2010, 09:56 PM
new orleans in 6 definitely.

PG . Bibby is great
SG . ray allen > afflolo
SF . ill give caron the edge just because of his defense
PF . Pau is better, but J smith has amazing D
C . no question.

astrosmaniac
02-24-2010, 09:57 PM

PG . Bibby is great
SG . ray allen > afflolo
C . no question.

wait, did you miss that i have steve nash, the 3rd best PG in the league, who would rape bibby on offense? and how is bibby great? hes past his prime and is just a 3 point shooter now

Sportfan
02-24-2010, 10:27 PM

PG . Bibby is great
SG . ray allen > afflolo
C . no question.
for the last time terry gets the majority of minutes at SG, a combo of him and affalo with his D is better than Allen this year

HoopsDrive
02-24-2010, 10:48 PM
The Mavs match up incredibly well with the Hornets here. Their bench is clearly better as well. The Hornets on the other hand have a better starting 5 and some good shooters but the drive and kick factor is lacking a bit there.

Overall, very good series here. Goes to 7 imo. I'll take the Hornets but won't be surprised at all if the Mavs win this one.

BlondeBomber41
02-24-2010, 10:51 PM

Whats really funny is the thread he was suppose to click "GM's Click Here", the Cavs/Raps thread, he didnt! He clicked Cavs.

Ragun
02-24-2010, 11:09 PM
DC did a great job with the hornets but GM of the game? West is better than Smith and Paul and the other stuff he traded is equal to Granger and Allen. He did add nice peces like Lou Will and Bibby but theres better canidates for GMOTY (hint hint warriors)

yes he did an amazing job with the hornets. i will take smith over david west ANY FRIGGING DAY of the year. ray allen and granger were huge additions. this team meshes well.

props to A. Mopp too though

A.Mopp
02-24-2010, 11:34 PM
yes he did an amazing job with the hornets. i will take smith over david west ANY FRIGGING DAY of the year. ray allen and granger were huge additions. this team meshes well.

props to A. Mopp too though

thanks man

astrosmaniac
02-24-2010, 11:36 PM
yea A.Mopp, even turning that roster into a playopff team should make you GMOTY IMO

ldc62
02-24-2010, 11:37 PM
Not a fan of the Hornets PG-SG or SF in this matchup. Danny Granger needs to jack up a lot of shots, Ray is more controlled, but not nearly as great as he once was. Bibby is decent i guess, but Nash is better in this matchup. However, Okafor and JSmooth are key here because both present a unique style of D on Pau. Both players can switch off of their guys and guard the other guy. Bench of the Mavs is better. It was tough, but I think Hornets win in 7.

jimbobjarree
02-24-2010, 11:53 PM
yea A.Mopp, even turning that roster into a playopff team should make you GMOTY IMO

yes moppdiddy for god man of the year all the way

BlondeBomber41
02-25-2010, 12:11 PM
Bump. This needs more voters, all tied up at 25.

jimbobjarree
02-25-2010, 03:38 PM
lol your bump only got 1 more vote

J-Relo
02-25-2010, 03:45 PM
Hornets...

Sportfan
02-25-2010, 04:48 PM
well there goes my 4 point lead from last night :(

Sportfan
02-25-2010, 05:03 PM
wooooo comeback! 2 votes down!

goose15
02-25-2010, 05:07 PM
close

I'll take the Mavs w/ Nash & Gasol

pebloemer
02-25-2010, 05:07 PM
Hornets in 7.

Really close matchup here. Homecourt advantage played into my choice a bit. I also like Smith guarding Pau. This would be a great great series to watch in rl.

Sportfan
02-25-2010, 05:08 PM
close

I'll take the Mavs w/ Nash & Gasol
You didnt even vote.....

too bad DC needed a little extra help to win...

jimbobjarree
02-25-2010, 05:09 PM
New Orleans v Denver it is then

A.Mopp
02-25-2010, 05:10 PM
close one

JNA17
02-25-2010, 05:14 PM
hornets come out in a win in a thriller

clehmun
02-25-2010, 06:03 PM
New Orleans v Denver it is then

how do i match up in your opinion.

Sportfan
02-25-2010, 06:30 PM
Better than you would have with me lol :D

I lactually think NO matches up nicely with you. Billups is going to have a great series against bibby and melo will outplay their best player Granger. But Allen could have some big games going against raja and I like their starting frontcourt over yours

jimbobjarree
02-25-2010, 06:54 PM
how do i match up in your opinion.

I'll tell you what, it looks very very close, I think the biggest match up win out of the 5 is the Billups one for you, then you have the kicker of Odom off the bench so I think you'll win by 10 votes-ish